Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #481
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

'I do not know what evil this is,' Abasi cried, clutching his sword more tightly, 'But you must end it at once! Do you accept challenge? Who shall fight on your behalf?'

He clenched his jaw, fighting back the fear that consumed him. This magic was above him; he did not, could not, would not understand it.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #482
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quickleaf cooling ever faster, for he had been in such situations before, glanced around the camp and spoke

"Haldis, as Tabril seems to be unwilling to answer, I ask you what has happened that has infuriated her so and made her perform such an unforgiveable act? What has happened?"

Elf-guards all around had moved around them, bewildered by the violent nature of their guests. Quickleaf looked around, but could not spot Radaghast. Where was the wizard?

Looking at Abasi, Quickleaf spoke clearly and with unmistakeable intent

"Abasi, your display of ignorance towards me, towards many of our companionship is distasteful.
You draw the sword too quick my friend, you seem to care to shed blood where none is meant to spill.
Lower your sword, step back and think.

His eyes unflinching Quickleaf carried on
You mock my understanding of pride, of anger. But you do not persuade. Do not underestimate me, or anyone else around here.
The spite in your voice towards companions here makes me wonder what exactly you are doing among us if you draw your sword with such ease, such foolishness!"

Quickleaf looked around him. He needed back-up here, there was violent intent suffocating the air.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #483
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi's eyes narrowed, his face becoming a mask of calm - meaning Abasi was at his most dangerous.

'These words cannot be unsaid, and there is no response to your insults but t'inrae that is 'challenge', or 'duel'. Choose your weapon, uwindi.'

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #484
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'Do not speak to him that way,' Tabrîl warned Quickleaf, lifting her sword again, but this time facing him and not Haldis, who she could not bear to look upon, not since that flood of images, of knowledge that ought to have been forbidden her, the knowledge that in truth not even death would end this.

Tabrîl had fought in countless battles, but she doubted anything had ever made her so afraid.

Quickleaf, at least, was a known quantity, she could fight him if she had to, though she would rather he kept out of this. Abasi's challenge to Haldis' champion ought to be enough to settle the matter. 'It is not your concern, what he does. Be silent, or leave us.'

Old 05-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #485
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Radagast, who had taken the liberty to have a little morning walk well before dawn, was now returning to his camp in undignified haste. A little bird had come by and asked the wizard whether it was normal his companions spent the morning with death threats and swords at throats. The fact that he had to hurry back so speedily from a nice walk, made his temper even worse. Swords!

Couldn't they go a few hours without threatening to kill one another? How did Gandalf ever manage to lead these way-ward companions? Radagast did know, Gandalf's anger was well known among the people of Middle-earth and it was something to be respected and avoided at all costs. Quick to anger, quick to laugh, was they said about him. Well, the world was about to learn Radagast's equivalent to the first part of that sentence.

He burst out from between the trees, a menacing, brown-clad form.

"Enough!"

The word was delivered with all the anger, indignation and command Radagast could muster. The voice made the air crackle and the forest animals hushed immediatly. Some of the adventurers inadvertedly cringed from the sound. Radagast struck his staff to the ground. Whether it was intended or not, the staff struck a stone with a loud echoing thud.

"There will be no fighting, or I will personally see to it that in a hundred year they will still find pieces as far as the Gate of Night of anyone dumb enough to raise his weapon! Do I make myself absolutely clear?!"

No one offered an answer.

"Now," he said, softer but with still much barely-contained anger. "Does anyone care to explain why you are all suddenly acting like orcs?"
Old 05-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #486
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"A mis-understanding," Haldis answered, "There is a matter between Tabrîl, myself and the Forest to be discussed this morning, but it was mistaken for public and swords were drawn. It is a sensitive matter, and will not be resolved by any warrior's challenge."

She emphasized this with a glare towards Quickleaf and Abasi.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #487
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa did not understand fully what was going on. However the scene was familiar to her. She had seen it in her dream earlier, but hadn't paid it much attention. It didn't radiate death or pain and she had seen other things that had. Those had priority.
Now, maybe it was time she left the group for some quiet contemplation.
She snuck off into the forest. She would come back when she felt she was ready for it.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...

Last edited by Mari : 05-03-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: cross post
Old 05-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #488
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi clenched this teeth so hard that he felt the anger in his jaw, but he sheathed his sword and fell to one knee before Radagast, his head bent and his eyes staring at the ground. Calming his heartbeat as best he could, he addressed Radagast.

'Seth'enati,' he said, using the word of respect his people used for the Istari, 'Tabrîl has been greatly wronged.'

~The Lay of Leithian

Last edited by Curufin : 05-03-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #489
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quickleaf was dumbfounded. What exactly did Haldir mean with such a look?
Had he not sprung to defend her, and worked his heart out avoid violent confrontation?

Taking his water flask from his belt he poured it over his face and said
"I have no intent of fighting anyone. Least this war-mongering elf" Staring without veil at Abasi.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #490
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis caught Quickleaf's look of hurt confusion and lessened her glare a little, "Thank you for coming to my defense, Quickleaf, but truly, I am able to defend myself, and if you knew more of the matter, you might not have been so quick to do so."

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #491
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl bowed her head, and placed her sword on the ground out of respect to Radagast., She did not know him, but he was seth'enati, and that meant something.

'She-' she explained shakily, she could not ignore a question, not from him. 'Haldis has placed a curse on me, a binding, and she will not release me from it, she cannot, and she would have me abandon my duty, my in'kasha and our people, and forfeit all honor.''

Fear and desperation overcoming her, she dropped to her knees. 'What must I do, Seth'enati?'

Old 05-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #492
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis also looked to Radagast, spreading her hands in a gesture of tired helplessness, "I am sorry, Radagast. I know you will not approve, for this is a spell all hesitate to use. But the Forest commands, and who am I to gainsay her will? You, of all, know well that she must be obeyed."

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #493
Earniel

"First of all, you can rise, Tabrîl, and you to, Abasi, " Radagast said, a lot more gentle. "No one should kneel before me."

"So the Forest commanded you to put a binding on Tabrîl?" Radagast asked without really expecting Haldis to reply, for as wizard he recognized the fabric of the spell. And it indeed was not one he liked much.

Bothersome, magic-meddlin' woman," he grumbled, although it wasn't clear whether he was referring to Haldis or the Forest.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #494
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'Seth'enati,' Tabrîl said quietly, lowering her voice so that there would be no shakiness, and standing as she was bidden.

'May the m'haid ask permission to ask a question?'

Old 05-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #495
Earniel

"Ask, my dear. You can ask me everything in the world, I just can not garantuee the answer will be welcome."
Old 05-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #496
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi stood in silent deference behind Tabrîl, hoping to give her some support in this matter. He, of all here, understood her predicament the best, and he would give her whatever friendship he could in these difficult times.

Although he stood, he kept his eyes on the ground, his hands clenched behind his back, far frm his weapons, awaiting the answer of the Seth'enati.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #497
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'This binding - can you remove it?' she asked, not meeting his gaze. 'Have you the power?' It was not for Tabrîl who was m'haid to know anything of magic, it was a Mystery. Yet if it could not be removed, Tabrîl would need to decide how honor could be satisfied, and decide quickly.

She did not ask if he would remove it for her, she did not dare as something so presumptuous. To know he was able, though, would be some comfort to her.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #498
Earniel

"I could," said Radagast sombrely, "but far more things would be broken in the process besides the binding. It is not advisable."
Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #499
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi knew automatically that this was not the answer for which Tabrîl was hoping. He frowned, and put a hand on her arm.

'Come, we shall play the Game.'

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #500
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"Tabrîl," Haldis asked, for she had been thinking on the elf woman's accusation that Haldis would have her abandon honor, "What is it you need to do, to be able to satisfy the binding and your honor? There may be a way without releasing it, and if there is, we will take it. The Forest's purpose is not cruel, you surely felt that."

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Closed Thread