Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 01:59 AM   #481
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I'm happy that I am not dead. (please disregard cynicism, this too shall pass )

Mork From Ork has said: "Reality, what a concept". Think on it.

You may not be able to handle it right now.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:22 AM   #482
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
How is it possible NOT to be aware of it?
It's possible if you don't know me well and/or you don't know me in RL. Especially nowadays with Lai and all that gone so I rarely post in the 'Official Languages Thread' anymore, niet waar?

OH! Happy: I found this lovely book of The World's Greatest Art and it has, I think, one painting each for a whole lot of art masters. Yayyyy. It's only $20 so I'm going to get it tomorrow. It even has Vermeer's 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' which I have sentimental attachment to because I'm studying the text with the same name now. Can't wait till exams are over and then I can become an art freak too. I hate talking to artsy people with my limited knowledge of art...I'd love to talk with them more but I can't.
Happy: just had a really good day today, if tiring at about 8 pm...*Brain shuts down*

Last edited by Linaewen : 09-26-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #483
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Ciao, Linaewen! Welcome 2 the wonderful world of art... once you enter this world, it enters you, and you will never be able to live the same way without art again. I keep meaning to start an Art Appreciation thread, here... one of these days. Girl With a Pearl Earring was so sublime, it has even inspired a film. That movie (starring Scarlett Johanssen) was the bomb, BTW. I'm sure you know that already!!

I am ecstatic today, because I realised that I can still register at the last minute for a creative writing class at UCLA, which starts next week. Happyhappyhappy!! Well, maybe I shouldn't count chickens, but still...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #484
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Ciao, Linaewen! Welcome 2 the wonderful world of art... once you enter this world, it enters you, and you will never be able to live the same way without art again. I keep meaning to start an Art Appreciation thread, here... one of these days. Girl With a Pearl Earring was so sublime, it has even inspired a film. That movie (starring Scarlett Johanssen) was the bomb, BTW. I'm sure you know that already!!
Actually, the painting inspired a book with the same name by Tracy Chevalier, which was then made into a film. I haven't watched the film because I've heard it's not true to the book and I don't want to get mixed up. Plus I have a tendency to really hate movies when they change around the original (Apparently Vermeer loves her or something in the movie?!)
I have experienced a little bit in the art world. I went to see the Dutch Masters at the National Gallery of Victoria and I got to see "The Love Letter" by Vermeer. The curator explained so many details about the paintings that I was blown away. That's why I want to delve more into the art world- because there's all this stuff you can miss unless your eye is directed towards it (like literature.)
Oh, and you should start that thread!!!!

Quote:
I am ecstatic today, because I realised that I can still register at the last minute for a creative writing class at UCLA, which starts next week. Happyhappyhappy!! Well, maybe I shouldn't count chickens, but still...
Sounds great! Enjoy it, lucky girl.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #485
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Thank you, Linaewen; I shall, I hope!!

Old 09-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #486
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Anti-happy (since I'm too lazy to find the venting thread ): All of the good players on my Volleyball team in PE were not there or moved.

Happy: George Carlin is funny!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:26 PM   #487
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

No red frownies allowed here - what is WRONG with you?! Get off your lazy butt and find the venting thread; I am TRYing to get happy here dammit.

Old 09-27-2005, 06:20 AM   #488
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

no frownies allowed: that includes Sir doc grey wolf's (TM), happy red-frownies... even if they are having a sound of music momment ...

mmm you think eee-or is grumpy? mmmm... call that grumpy? ...

well any, whatever ... mumble mumble .. and against my better (worse?) judgment:

Quote:
I do hope you get onto the course: because i am sure you will enjoy it and you have obviously been very keen for some time to get back to education and learning...

go get off your ass and go register NOW! - before the chickens get to watch the 'great escape' ...
Old 09-27-2005, 06:40 AM   #489
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I guess I'm happy because I got a good deal on a camera and I'm motivated to create art with it.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:35 AM   #490
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
no frownies allowed: that includes Sir doc grey wolf's (TM), happy red-frownies... even if they are having a sound of music momment ...

mmm you think eee-or is grumpy? mmmm... call that grumpy? ...

well any, whatever ... mumble mumble .. and against my better (worse?) judgment:

I do hope you get onto the course: because i am sure you will enjoy it and you have obviously been very keen for some time to get back to education and learning...

go get off your ass and go register NOW! - before the chickens get to watch the 'great escape' ...
How about don't tell me what to do? How about don't stick your little nose in when it concerns me and trolls' bane having fun NOT with you, with each other? How about that? Hey, here's somethung 4 U, Butterbeer...

Old 09-27-2005, 11:50 AM   #491
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Lotesse-from the golden oldies

You don't own me,
I'm not just one of your pretty toys.
You don't own me,

You don't own me,
Don't try to change me in any way.
You don't own me,
.........you get the idea

RESPECT as Aretha said is owed to all.

Last edited by Spock : 09-27-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:44 PM   #492
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

*leans back in chair* happy day! Nice, warm autumn day... today only one boring class out of the three... and finally I bought the dictionaries I wanted to. Yes, a happy day.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #493
Tree Dweller
Elven Warrior

Location: The bulls-eye for recent hurricanes, but I still love these white sands....nothing compares.
Minimal boring classes are always a good thing, Littleadanel!

It stoppped raining here and it is actually supposed to get cooler this week! Woooooohooooooooooooooooo

-------------------------------------------
I always liked going South, somehow it feels like going downhill.
Treebeard

-------------------------------------------

~*~Diary of a Beach Bum~*~
Old 09-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #494
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I was on a really interesting lecture yesterday. Richard Dawkins, a professor from the University of Oxford, talked about 'Is evolution predictable?'. It was popular science, but somehow it was nice to hear it that way too, and not only with technical terminology. The lecture was so popular, they had to put some of us in another room, to watch it via video connection..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #495
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sounds interesting!
So what's his answer? (is it predictable?)

happy - both my husband and I were sick on Saturday, and we were lying in bed feeling miserable, and my oldest son (15) came in with lunch on a tray for us, all on his own initiative! Chicken soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-27-2005, 03:17 PM   #496
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

How can it be predictable when it takes eons? Illogical.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #497
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Sounds interesting!
So what's his answer? (is it predictable?)

happy - both my husband and I were sick on Saturday, and we were lying in bed feeling miserable, and my oldest son (15) came in with lunch on a tray for us, all on his own initiative! Chicken soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.
He approached the question by discussing the separate evolutions of animals of big, isolated islands/continents (like Madagaskar, Australia and Africa). His guess, after considering the differences and similarities between the species in question, was that it might be predictable in the big picture, but not on the species-level.
He didn't only approach it from a geographical level though. As an example, he said that eyes have evolved separately about 40 times, so if evolution started all over again (in this same world), it'd be probable for the eye to evolve.

At first, the question might sound stupid, since evolution doesn't have a direction, but there might be an idea behind it (the question, that is).. Since the alternatives aren't infinite, the probability that quite similar species evolve entirely separately, is present.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-27-2005, 05:20 PM   #498
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
I was on a really interesting lecture yesterday. Richard Dawkins, a professor from the University of Oxford, talked about 'Is evolution predictable?'. It was popular science, but somehow it was nice to hear it that way too, and not only with technical terminology. The lecture was so popular, they had to put some of us in another room, to watch it via video connection..
I would LOVE to have been able to attend this lecture.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:42 PM   #499
Nerdanel

it was really interesting.. everyone should've come. he didn't make it complicated at all - actually he simplified it quite a lot. popular science.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-28-2005, 12:14 AM   #500
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
He approached the question by discussing the separate evolutions of animals of big, isolated islands/continents (like Madagaskar, Australia and Africa). His guess, after considering the differences and similarities between the species in question, was that it might be predictable in the big picture, but not on the species-level.
He didn't only approach it from a geographical level though. As an example, he said that eyes have evolved separately about 40 times, so if evolution started all over again (in this same world), it'd be probable for the eye to evolve.

At first, the question might sound stupid, since evolution doesn't have a direction, but there might be an idea behind it (the question, that is).. Since the alternatives aren't infinite, the probability that quite similar species evolve entirely separately, is present.
Um, what exactly does your quote have to do with what you said?
Closed Thread