Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #481
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thanks, Udu, for the Osanwe quote and Rian for edits.
Sure the elves can communicate by thought, who has ever doubted it?
Osanwe is mostly Elvish. Humans can do it to a much lesser degree, or not at all, unless they have rings, of course.
BB, nice post.

I am off, guys it is really "late hours of the night" here and I start to
"see wierd lights"
Old 11-08-2005, 10:36 PM   #482
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

You're welcome, Gordis, and sleep well If you hear anything in your kitchen, do NOT investigate!

Maggie - could you please add RÃ*an to your art-history class, too, if that's ok with your character?

ps - I just love your line in Mahtaliel's bio: "She followed Maedhros and Maglor right up until the end of the first age, at which point they weren't around to follow anymore."

Very funny!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-08-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #483
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Nice posts, Gordis, Serenoli, Butterbeer and LMM. And thank you, Udu, for the reference on mind-reading a la Tolkien.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-08-2005, 11:12 PM   #484
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis

Now about timing.

LMM #462 "who stay up all hours of the night carousing and making much noise"

Rian #471 "My brother saw lights and heard noises late into the night last night."

I remember discussing it with LMM, and we came to the conclusion that the ML+Tol+Aiwendis left the University at 1AM and came to Orrodel around a quarter past 1AM. After they came, all the noises stopped. Not later than 1.30 they moved to a secret room facing the court and with very heavy drapes. There was no electricity in ME, so no light could be seen from the street and hardly any from the court.
So any suspicious activity ended at 1.30AM. Could it be called "all hours of the night?" or "late into the night?".
It is exactly this time now, while I am sitting here and typing…
I second this request.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #485
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Well, I am writing it. But do keep in mind I have a household to run, a LARGE one. And as of late we've had some...er...Interesting Fiascos that needed my father's and my attention.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:41 PM   #486
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
LMM #462 "who stay up all hours of the night carousing and making much noise"
I'm more inclined to leave this... If you re-read my previous posts you'll see that Mahtaliel was watching the house before, as and a little after ML and co. arrived. The lights she saw and the noises she heard were before that 1:30am cut-off. She doesn't literally mean 'all hours of the night', but if she specifies a time there will undoubtabley be questions as to how she knew a time to specify. Can you allow an old elf her exaggeration?
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-09-2005, 05:40 AM   #487
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Cooling off was a good idea, Earniel, may be quite OK as a preventive measure in the future. May I suggest next time to use an 18 hours cooling period, not 24. Like that, people will have time to cool off, but still will have most of the next evening to play. Now it is sooo late...
I closed the game around (my) midnight so I re-opened it around midnight. Believe me (as I think you're in approximately the same time-zone) that it was late for me too. But that's the problem with games where people from all different time-zones play together, it will always be late for someone.

But I think it is best that I stress here that I am not going to be doing any more pre-emtive or temporal shut-downs on this game. I said it was the first time and the last I was going to do so. I certainly hope this game won't need another lock-down in the future!

I don't think it's good for the game if I have to threaten with lock-down every few months or so. This game shouldn't need such moderator interference in the first place. In a way you were lucky to have had two moderators in the game, but other RPG's don't have that luck and yet still can solve their differences and play and finish their game.

This game has had two 24-hour cool-off periods in a few months. That's more than any other thread in my memory. If I ever have to close this thread again, it will be due to rule breaking and it will be permanent.

As a moderator I have to enforce the rules, but I don't have to keep every game running smoothly. Both temporary lock-downs were a curtesy of mine in that regard.

On the Entmoot you all have shown you can act maturely (regardless of actual age) so you shouldn't need constant watch of a mod to keep you in line. We all know what's at stake if we have another serious fight. If we can't trust ourselves and each other to keep our tempers in check after all we saw happening in this game, I don't think it is going to worth to continue playing.

Last edited by Earniel : 11-09-2005 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #488
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

General note - I made several edits to my post #477.

Eärniel - I really like how you write your dialog - it's just so light and quick and witty

And I"m SO glad you have a dress for poor rpg-Rian! We await you at the Red Herring - hopefully you can get there soon with the good news, because Rian has a meeting with Professor M!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-09-2005, 01:22 PM   #489
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
I'm more inclined to leave this... If you re-read my previous posts you'll see that Mahtaliel was watching the house before, as and a little after ML and co. arrived. The lights she saw and the noises she heard were before that 1:30am cut-off. She doesn't literally mean 'all hours of the night', but if she specifies a time there will undoubtabley be questions as to how she knew a time to specify. Can you allow an old elf her exaggeration?
I'm going to put mine back - the more I thought about it, the more I realized that to the mind of people like Arabud and Arastud, 1:30 is very late indeed! I added some more things, too, for Arastud - making him feel even more strongly that there's just a simple explanation for it, and also putting him wandering around near dawn (which might look bad for him when he gets interviewed). Also Zimra remembers a young man in town that had caught Melwen's eye.

Sane - whew, sorry about your household troubles I hope things get better soon. Go out and hug your horse and tell him your troubles - they're usually quite good listeners

Last edited by Rían : 11-09-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #490
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

LMM and RianSure, you can leave the references to "very late hour" made by your characters, especially if they are of the kind that are used to get up early.

I only wanted to have YOU, the character minders, remember the objective fact that at 1.30 all was quiet. (in case it might be important later).
Old 11-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #491
Rían

Quote:
Sure the elves can communicate by thought, who has ever doubted it?
It's not a matter of doubting, it's a matter of what I thought (wrongly) was agreed on for this AU rpg, where we've already made some changes to what is typically thought of as canon. But I guess I was wrong that it was verboten, so our elves will now join the thought-communication crowd!

I'd still like Gondolic for my elves alone (plus Prof. M), but whatever... or I could just have them speak Valarin (the language of the Valar), since King Turgon of Gondolin knew and spoke with the Valar (tho typically not in Valarin, from what is written about it), and my elves were in the household of the King, and given their interest in languages, would have certainly wanted to learn as much as they could of that interesting language! And it is NOT known to men.

Quote:
from HoME 5, "The Lhammas"
And over all was the Valya or Valarin, the ancient speech of the Gods, that changed not from age to age ... and it is not known to mortal Men.
There's an interesting section about Valarin in HoME 11 in the essay "Quendi and Eldar", where Tolkien "quotes" Pengoloð, the sage from Gondolin, quoting Rúmil (JRRT makes up a historian and has him quoting another made-up historian! The imagination of that guy!!)

Quote:
from "Quendi and Eldar"
The Eldar took few words from the Valar, for they were rich in words and ready in invention at need. But though the honour which they gave to the Valar might have caused them to take words from their speech, whether needed or not, few words of Valarin could be fitted to Elvish speech without great change or diminution. For the tongues and voices of the Valar are great and stern, and yet also swift and subtle in movement, making sounds that we find hard to counterfeit; and their words are mostly long and rapid, like the glitter of swords, like the rush of leaves in a great wind or the fall of stones in the mountains."
Then comes the funny part. Pengoloð comments:

Quote:
Plainly the effect of Valarin upon Elvish ears was not pleasing.

It's also noted that the Valar typically did NOT speak to the Elves in Valarin - they enjoyed using the languages that the Elves made up.

One example of Valarin: Q. Arda is V. AÞaraphelun. And this, btw, explains a bit why Dwarvish was such a "jaw-cracking" language, or whatever the comment was in LOTR - Aulë, a Vala, made the Dwarves, and made their speech!

Anyway, I think languages are interesting, and part of the fun of this rpg is hearing things like this from other people. We all have our areas of interest, and I think it's fun to hear new things (anyone who is NOT interested in languages can just ignore my language posts )

Last edited by Rían : 11-09-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #492
Rían

Quote:
LMM and RianI only wanted to have YOU, the character minders, remember the objective fact that at 1.30 all was quiet. (in case it might be important later).
gotcha! *files it away in the fact file*

Old 11-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #493
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Rian, don't worry about the meeting, they talked on the way from Orrodel to the campus gate. Less hassle that way.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 11-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #494
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

LMM, What is your idea of Orientation meeting? Will you post it? That is probably better...
Or you prefer someone else to do it? Then we need more directions.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #495
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

It's just a short thing. It doesn't even have to be written as it's own scene really, basically, everyone shows up in the main hall, they get given their schedule, they go away to where ever it is they're supposed to go next. That's it.

If everyone just mentions that it happens, we can easily skip writing it all out.

- The Crucible

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 11-09-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #496
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thank you.

Now I have a small request for you LMM.
TD has asked to admit MM's as his students (Oriental Languages). OK?
Could you put them into the INFO list? I believe it is your post.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #497
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

gor, are the orrodel maps ready to post up? what post # are they?.. i can find the architect val's recommendations but not any later maps?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #498
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Here, BB.

ALL
Revised Maps of ORRODEL (thanks to Val's professional advice)
Ground Floor
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../orrodel11.jpg
First Floor
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/orrodel2.jpg
Second Floor
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/orrodel3.jpg

Please,BB put them into the INFO thread

Edited, Number 3 was already changed - thanx BB!

Last edited by Gordis : 11-09-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #499
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Rian, don't worry about the meeting, they talked on the way from Orrodel to the campus gate. Less hassle that way.
good idea

Old 11-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #500
Rían

** sends Elvish thought to Eärniel - "please go ahead and write our meeting scenes for us, Eärniel" **

Closed Thread