Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:13 AM   #461
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I thought someone would guess this guy... he seems a logical choice, but... nope!
*kicks Val in the shins for being tricksey*
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-22-2004, 01:20 AM   #462
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Was it Sauron himself?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-22-2004, 01:24 AM   #463
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
*kicks Val in the shins for being tricksey*
Ouch! Lately I'm getting more and more beat up around here! Body-slams, smacks with some old Norwegian frying pan and now kicks to the shins!

*sigh* ... well, at least I still have my pants.

*checks to make sure*

*looks around to make sure the coast is clear of the BoPper*

One clue I'll go ahead and give... this captain in question is in the regular story, LotR! Had no idea he was such an august personage though, until stumbling on it, just before posting...

(EDIT: no - not the big 'S' either. )

Last edited by Valandil : 01-22-2004 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:28 AM   #464
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

You're not thinking of Lugbúrz are you? Cuz if so, that's the Tower itself...

It can't be Gothmog either, cuz he is the Lieutenant of Minas Morgul...

hmmm....

--Linaewen
Old 01-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #465
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
You're not thinking of Lugbúrz are you? Cuz if so, that's the Tower itself...

It can't be Gothmog either, cuz he is the Lieutenant of Minas Morgul...

hmmm....
Nope, nope, nope...
Old 01-22-2004, 01:48 AM   #466
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Nope, nope, nope...
Valandil = Black Numenorean

Only b/c of this question

--Linaewen
Old 01-22-2004, 03:22 AM   #467
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

HA! Found it!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ME!!!

Grishnakh!

Quote:
The inscription on the Ring was in the ancient Black Speech, while the curse of the Mordor-orc was in the more debased form used by the soldiers of the Dark Tower, of whome Grishnakh was the captain.

--Linaewen
Old 01-22-2004, 07:36 AM   #468
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:

Grishnakh!
Yes! Good job! There in Appendix F under 'Orcs and the Black Speech'!

This actually puts some pieces of the story together. We know why Grishnakh was trusted by Sauron to head up the party of orcs from Mordor that take part in the capture of the hobbits - AND we can see how Grishnakh came to know (maybe - probably - still unbeknownst to Sauron) about the One Ring (prob had some knowledge - maybe detailed knowledge - of Gollum's torture).

Your turn!

(EDIT: PS, can you solve my riddles? Riddling thread in Middle Earth forum!)

(EDIT2: NOW aren't you glad I asked this question? We all got to learn something! )

Last edited by Valandil : 01-22-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #469
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Question will come soon...

--Linaewen
Old 01-22-2004, 08:28 PM   #470
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

What does Bralda-hîm mean and what does it refer to?

--Linaewen
Old 01-25-2004, 12:16 AM   #471
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
What does Bralda-hîm mean and what does it refer to?

I have no idea. Can you give us a clue? Is the language maybe that of Rohan? Or a hobbit term? Or Something else?
Old 01-25-2004, 12:26 AM   #472
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
I have no idea. Can you give us a clue? Is the language maybe that of Rohan? Or a hobbit term? Or Something else?
Hobbit term And it's translation is said in a joking manner about something

--Linaewen
Old 01-25-2004, 01:23 AM   #473
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Hobbit term And it's translation is said in a joking manner about something
Wow... all your posts suddenly look a lot ... shorter! And you have that new avatar... nice! But I'll have to get used to the new you!

hmmm... Bralda-him - is that the 'actual hobbit' for a 'mathom'? An object that has no use... and that generally makes the rounds from one birthday party to another?
Old 01-25-2004, 01:32 AM   #474
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

It means 'heady-ale', doesn't it? I think it refers to the Brandywine.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:40 AM   #475
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
It means 'heady-ale', doesn't it? I think it refers to the Brandywine.
Indeed! Good job

Quote:
Brandywine. The hobbit-names of this river were alterations of the Elvish Baranduin (accented on the and), derived from baran 'golden brown' and duin '(large) river'...

...but by a jest that had become habitual, referring again to its colour, at this time the river was usually called Bralda-hîm 'heady ale'.

--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 01-25-2004 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:29 PM   #476
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

In which year did Sam's gaffer die?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:38 AM   #477
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

FA 7. (1428 SR)
Old 01-26-2004, 09:03 PM   #478
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

You got the SR correct; the Gaffer died in 8 FO. Your go.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:33 PM   #479
Valandil

Theoden

I see one of our 'Guests' has been viewing this thread a lot!

Hi Guest!

Hope you like what you see! Hey - it's easy to join up, so you should register and start in. It's also free and there's nothing to download.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:27 AM   #480
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Mornin'/Afternoon/Evenin' (delete according to time zone)

Er.. it seems that Master Samwise has run off with my copy of ROTK, so I can't look up the Appendices to find a suitably obscure Rohirrim genealogy reference.

So, someone else have a go. First come first served.

(Apologies)
Closed Thread