Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-23-2003, 04:22 AM   #461
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
cabor is 'frog'. I know this because I used to call my brother tithen cabor all the time.
Thanks!

What does 'tithen cabor' mean, then?

I've got another question as well: I know the part '-dil' in names means 'lover' or 'friend of' like in Eärendil or Aewendil. But this is apparantly only used in male names. Is there a female variant of it as well?
Old 09-23-2003, 08:34 AM   #462
cian
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel: What does 'tithen cabor' mean, then? ... I've got another question as well: I know the part '-dil' in names means 'lover' or 'friend of' like in Eärendil or Aewendil. But this is apparantly only used in male names. Is there a female variant of it as well?
cabor dithen would mean 'tiny frog' (tithen 'little, tiny') ... again that's how I would write it at least, the (lenited) Sindarin adjective following the noun.

I would maybe (and did!) check out noted Quenyaist Ales Bican's Quenya lapseparma
at his website 'Elm', itself linked at Ardalambion (and cf. the entry for NIL-, NDIL- in Etymologies) and look to see what he does when a f. form arises ~ one example is:

'EDWIN (m.) - Old Eng. 'prosperity/riches + friend'; translated by Tolkien alone as Herendil ~ EDWINA (f.) - feminine of EDWIN (q.v.), thus Herendilde or Herendilme.'
~Ales Bican

Cheers!

Last edited by cian : 09-23-2003 at 08:53 AM.
cian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 04:16 PM   #463
Carmen
Sapling

need translation need

umm
hi, all you Elvish-speaking guys.

[boring nonsense]
i would like to start learnig Sindarin, Quenia, etc. but I guess they'll just have to stay somewhere in the pot with all the other things i 'want to' do but 'just can't figure out how to organize my free time in order to' do them.
[/boring nonsense]

anyways, can you pretty please translate this for me:

"Search for your soul" (<-nice, huh? ..... not mine, my friend's expression )

into Sindarin(preferably) or Quenia? PLeeeeeeeeaase? :

(i'm not quite sure if there is a 'soul', so i guesssomething else for that, like heart, or inner sparky thing, or whatever, oh, i just need some help...) (<-just look at that face, ooh, if you got any kind of mercy at all...)
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 04:19 PM   #464
Carmen
Sapling

s*cker script thingie!

omg look what they did to my smilie! it was MY smilie!
'twas soppose to be '::' + ')' = ':' <- the alien face smilie, and they turned it into a smile, pure evil they did! yrch!

Last edited by Carmen : 09-24-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 06:10 PM   #465
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I found a dubious Quenya one:
á sure an fealya. The accent makes the A longer in duration.

(At www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie.htm, they isolated surie from minasurie, meaning enquiry. they said surie means a search, and it is obviously in gerund form, so i got the stem from it to make infinitive.)

I don't know Sindarin as well as Quenya (yet!) but here is what little I got:
Tiro would be search. I couldn't find soul. LÃ*n is thy, your. I think there is a suffix for your... somewhere..

You may like www.ardalambion.com!

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"

Last edited by Ornelírë Mistë : 09-24-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 03:04 AM   #466
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cian
cabor dithen would mean 'tiny frog' (tithen 'little, tiny') ... again that's how I would write it at least, the (lenited) Sindarin adjective following the noun.

I would maybe (and did!) check out noted Quenyaist Ales Bican's Quenya lapseparma
at his website 'Elm', itself linked at Ardalambion (and cf. the entry for NIL-, NDIL- in Etymologies) and look to see what he does when a f. form arises ~ one example is:

'EDWIN (m.) - Old Eng. 'prosperity/riches + friend'; translated by Tolkien alone as Herendil ~ EDWINA (f.) - feminine of EDWIN (q.v.), thus Herendilde or Herendilme.'
~Ales Bican
Thanks cian! Is that 'Herendilde' or 'Herendilme' with a 'ë' at the end or just a simple 'e'?
Old 09-25-2003, 10:28 AM   #467
cian
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel:
Thanks cian! Is that 'Herendilde' or 'Herendilme' with a 'ë' at the end or just a simple 'e'?
It doesn't matter that much really, the diaeresis here helps folk keep in mind that final -e is not silent.

Cheers!

Last edited by cian : 09-25-2003 at 10:45 AM.
cian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 11:12 AM   #468
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
I don't know Sindarin as well as Quenya (yet!) but here is what little I got:
Tiro would be search. I couldn't find soul. LÃ*n is thy, your. I think there is a suffix for your... somewhere..
I am not any expert in Sindarin either, but I do know they don't use cases (like in quenya)

"Search for your spirit" in Sindarin would be...ehm...

Tiro af fae lin

(I think fae should be correct, as in faenor, the Sindarin name of Feanor)
Old 09-26-2003, 07:34 PM   #469
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Does anyone want to get back to the trivia? I have a question unless Ruinel would like to ask.

Manna (to whom) né i anesse Faelivrin antane?

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"

Last edited by Ornelírë Mistë : 09-30-2003 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:20 PM   #470
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Yay..... Quenya pronoun stuff I never knew before at http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/language.htm .

Vinyar quentar lambeo Atanion:
AGGLUTINATED:To form (words) by combining words or words and word elements.
CONJUNCTIVE:Of, relating to, or being a conjunction. Serving to connect elements of meaning and construction within sentences, as and and since, or between sentences, as therefore.
DISJUNCTIVE:Serving to establish a relationship of contrast or opposition. The conjunction but in the phrase "poor but comfortable" is disjunctive.
DEMONSTRATIVE:Specifying or singling out the person or thing referred to: the demonstrative pronouns these and that.

I am very bored...

Old 10-01-2003, 07:45 AM   #471
Falagar

Quote:
Manna (to whom) né i anesse Faelivrin antane?
Finduilas

Man né i telda aran Ondonórëva neldëa randassë?

Last edited by Falagar : 10-01-2003 at 07:47 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 09:59 AM   #472
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Man né i telda aran Ondonórëva neldëa randassë?
"What was the last king Gondor-had (Ondonórë) third age (randa)?"

---Eärnur

Edit: oops... sanwenya ná topungo.

Manan Isildur lelyana Ondonórë yesta, ar man ernë aran Ondonóron?

Edit#2: ACK! typo!

Last edited by Ruinel : 10-01-2003 at 10:37 AM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 12:19 PM   #473
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

How/why/to whom (?) did Isildur leave Gondor first, and stayed King of Gondor?

Isildur lende hyarmen, ar san formen. Antane-rye i mahalma i yondonna torono, Meneldil.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:05 PM   #474
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Gerin mavros isto Edhellen. Benn istia (assuming "to know" is a derived verb?) den?

Are there any Sindarin speakers? Forgive me for murdering the language in that attempted setence... I looked and found that there are no mutations in the sentence, or am I wrong? And I don't think my dictionary is very good, it said "I have" is gerin, from the stem "garo". But Arda said that it would be "-on". And I don't know the verb for know...
I'd appreciate any help. I wouldn't be surprised if people who do know Sindarin can't possibly guess what I'm trying to say it's so messed up.

this is the sindarin dictionary I found:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/7990/m-e-s.htm#M

Old 10-09-2003, 07:01 PM   #475
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Ruinel, could you tell the answer to your trivia question if you have a chance? I don't want the thread to disappear.

Old 10-13-2003, 01:12 PM   #476
Gæwan
Sapling

indistinguishable phrayse

listen, iv got this one phrayse that i found or heard, i don't remember, somewhere and i know its elvish. i do, in fact, speak a little elvish, quenya and sindarin mostly (no silvan at all), and i was wondering if you more knowledeable than i could help me figure out what this means. my main hindrance is finding out what tense it is in. once i know if its quenya or sindarin, it'd b a lot easier. but anyway, id really apreciate your help.

Nimrain Our et ouvre cotredu

namarÃ*ë nilde,
rinquessiel
aka: Gæwan

rinquessiel
aka: gæwan
Gæwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 05:13 PM   #477
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I have two questions: Are you sure the sentence is correct?
Is Nimrain a name?

I looked all through Ardalambion.com, through the wordlists and corpuses (?). I can't tell you much, just:

--It is not Quenya.

--If it is Sindarin (likely), then "Nimrain" could be the plural of "nemran", if there is such a word. But I did not find the sentence in the Sindarin corpus.

--As far as I have searched, none of the words are mutated (Sindarin, as you know, has mutations).

--It does not seem to be a movie quote either.

EDIT: Et could mean "out of", like Quenya et with the same meaning or Sindarin ed- of the same meaning.

Last edited by Ornelírë Mistë : 10-13-2003 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:59 PM   #478
azalea
Long lost mooter

That's funny, it looks French:
et = and
ouvre = open (with an accent ague [sp?] over the e it becomes "wrought")

"Cotredu" looks like the participle form of some French verb. The only close words I could find in my dictionary, though, were nouns: "cotre" meaning cutter (as in a boat), and cotret, meaning slat or stick. Do you think it could be French with the first two words only being Elvish? (Of course, "ours" is French for bear, so if it was a misspelling, that could be bear).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 06:27 AM   #479
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by OrnelÃ*rë Mistë
Gerin mavros isto Edhellen. Benn istia (assuming "to know" is a derived verb?) den?

Are there any Sindarin speakers? Forgive me for murdering the language in that attempted setence... I looked and found that there are no mutations in the sentence, or am I wrong? And I don't think my dictionary is very good, it said "I have" is gerin, from the stem "garo". But Arda said that it would be "-on". And I don't know the verb for know...
I'd appreciate any help. I wouldn't be surprised if people who do know Sindarin can't possibly guess what I'm trying to say it's so messed up.

this is the sindarin dictionary I found:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/7990/m-e-s.htm#M
I'm not especially good in Sindarin, but I'll ive it a try.

Gar is a i-verb, which lenitates the vowel and has -in ending instead of -on.

Last edited by Falagar : 10-14-2003 at 06:29 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:23 PM   #480
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by OrnelÃ*rë Mistë
How/why/to whom (?) did Isildur leave Gondor first, and stayed King of Gondor?

Isildur lende hyarmen, ar san formen. Antane-rye i mahalma i yondonna torono, Meneldil.

"Manan Isildur lelyana Ondonórë yesta, ar man ernë aran Ondonóron?"
"Why Isildur did go/travel towards Gondor first, and who remained king of Gondor?"
"Isildur lende hyarmen, ar san formen. Antane-rye i mahalma i yondonna torono, Meneldil. "
Isildur went south, and then north. He gave the throne the son of brother, Melendil. Sanda

Ni lendë New Mexico-anna an norta yo málonya. I lia né quildë an andavë lú. Nán valin nás cuina.

Quetin Quenya, i tyar ná ta Quenya ná i lambë Calaquendion, man nán. Sindarin ná i lambë Moriquendion.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote