Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 06:57 PM   #461
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

part 4 -
how kuld he lov doth (both)? For it is not possible for elves ut (to) lov more than unse (once) in the lithe (life) of arad (aman?)

And when will the exciting conclusion be posted?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 04-21-2003, 07:18 PM   #462
Ruinel
Banned

*phew* Dang! You're demanding! lol!

It would take forever to go through the whole story in Tengwar. I only wanted to put a taste here. Besides, I'm pretty sure someone will go running off to SGH and tattle tale about me. lol!

Am I using the wrong letters? Or is it hard to read?
Old 04-21-2003, 07:25 PM   #463
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I don't mean to be demanding just to pick on you - I'm trying to help you learn but let me know if you prefer me not to . It's just so fun to talk Tengwar and to help others learn

Perhaps you DID close the 'd' and 'th' to make a 'b' and 'f', but it didn't look like it. That's my most common mistake, to not close the bow when I'm making a 'b'. I ALWAYS have to check that one, I can't seem to get it straight. And to write 'to', you'll need to use a carrier, or you'll get 'ot' (it looks like you just slipped and wrote 'u', too).

Was the last word "Aman"?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-21-2003, 07:27 PM   #464
Rían

(ps - I like how you're picking up the phonetic aspect of the language REALLY well! You're doing great - I can't find much to comment on, really!)

Old 04-21-2003, 07:28 PM   #465
Elf Girl
Lurker

When writing "to", I believe, you can double the O tehta instead of a carrier, it being long.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:31 PM   #466
Rían

But if you're using English mode, you still have to use a carrier, because the vowel goes over the following consonant, and there is no following consonant in 'to'.

Old 04-21-2003, 07:33 PM   #467
Rían

But yes, you can use a short carrier and double the 'o' mark.

(ps - TC catches me quite often when I forget to close the bow on 'b' - see my attachments from several pages ago )

Old 04-21-2003, 07:53 PM   #468
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Long vowels were usually represented by placing the tehta on the 'long carrier', of which a common form was like an undotted j. But for the same purpose the tehtar could be doubled. This was, however, only frequently done with the curls, and sometimes with the 'accent'.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:03 PM   #469
Rían

That's true, but -- the vowel goes over the following consonant, and there is no following consonant in 'to'. If there was a following consonant, you could put the doubled vowel mark over it, otherwise, you have to use a carrier. Do you see what I mean? The quote is talking about doubling the marks to show a long vowel vs. using a long carrier to show a long vowel. It's NOT talking about eliminating a carrier if there is no following consonant. (at least that's my understanding - the sequence in English mode is always, from everything I've ever read, vowel over following consonant).

Old 04-21-2003, 08:11 PM   #470
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Do you see what I mean?
No. *10 minutes pass* Ah! Yes!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:11 PM   #471
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
That's true, but -- the vowel goes over the following consonant, and there is no following consonant in 'to'. If there was a following consonant, you could put the doubled vowel mark over it, otherwise, you have to use a carrier. Do you see what I mean? The quote is talking about doubling the marks to show a long vowel vs. using a long carrier to show a long vowel. It's NOT talking about eliminating a carrier if there is no following consonant. (at least that's my understanding - the sequence in English mode is always, from everything I've ever read, vowel over following consonant).
Would 'to' be using [I-1] (from Tengwar Chart, column, row), then a carrier (short or long?) with the mark over the carrier? Ok, I've got the vowel over following consonant, if this is right.
Can you post an example of what you are talking about: long vowel vs short vowel?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:48 PM   #472
Rían

I'll see if I can get an example up in a few minutes - it's getting close to dinnertime....and the kids DO insist on eating, I don't know why

Old 04-21-2003, 08:50 PM   #473
Rían

(ps - also, if you note, the tengwar have reference #'s, 1 to 36.)

Old 04-21-2003, 08:54 PM   #474
Ruinel
Banned

You can do it tomorrow. I'll check then. I'm exhausted right now. Later.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:08 PM   #475
Rían

I hope you feel refreshed tomorrow - pleasant dreams

Here it is anyway -

(just as an interesting note, in case you guys didn't know - I didn't until my 1st grader showed me - in the English language, a silent 'e' at the end of a word usually indicates the vowel is long - thus 'mad' is short 'a', and 'made' is long 'a'.)

So I avoid the long carrier whenever I can because I don't like how it looks, but one can't double 'a' and 'i', so I usually assume the person will figure out words like 'made' as long as I put in the silent 'e' dot underneath. But that's just my particular style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tengwar1.jpg (8.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Rían : 04-21-2003 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:32 PM   #476
Rían

And here's a note on the use of special characters/combos of 'qu' and 'x' -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tengwar2.jpg (8.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 04-21-2003, 09:41 PM   #477
Rían

And finally, the ending to Ruinel's story
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tengwar3.jpg (9.6 KB, 11 views)

Old 04-21-2003, 09:43 PM   #478
Rían

(and Ruinel, please please please tell me I didn't make you sad and tired - if I did, please forgive me, I didn't mean to - I just love discussing all the little points of Tengwar, and you're doing great, and you learned it 100 times faster than stupid me, and you know lots of Quenya, too, which I don't - so please feel better tomorrow, and I'll never make technical comments about your Tengwar again if you don't want me to....)

Old 04-22-2003, 07:06 AM   #479
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Oh this is really unfair. I am away for half a day and you guys have this huge tengwar story bonanza type thing.
Here's the message I meant to post ages ago.. (Don't worry Elf Girl- I made it into two attachments)

Part One:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tengwarmsg1.jpg (9.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-22-2003, 07:13 AM   #480
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Part two:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tengwarmsg2.jpg (7.2 KB, 9 views)
Closed Thread