Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #461
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Sweet Acalewia

If I may ask, was it testicular cancer?
Lymphoma

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #462
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I did WAY better on my aural skills test today than I thought I would! We'll see what my actual grade comes out to, but I'm hopeful that I did well.

The first section was that she played a melody 6 or 7 times and you had to write down the notes and rhythms... I am -terrible- at that. It's so hard for me to hear something and just automatically go, "okay, that was a quarter note, two eighths, a dotted quarter note, an eighth, and it was on Do re fa so ti." I'm working on it, but I'm still terrible at it.

Then we had a purely rhythmic dictation which I THINK I got completely correct. It was a weird rhythm.

Then we had a harmonic progression, and that was probably the hardest of all. I'm not very confident about that part.

Fingers crossed that I at least got a C. I'm trying my best, but to be perfectly honest I just need to friggin' pass this class, I don't need to be amazing at it. A... B.... C.... so long as it's not a D or an F I'm fine with it.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #463
katya
Elven Maiden

My third graders today had a math worksheet where they had to make up a story problem that involved (1) start with a number (2) add or subtract a number from that and (3) find the result. Most of the answers were pretty basic. Logan had $10, she gave $5 to Tina, how much did she have left. Chloe had 50 Webkinz, she gave away 50, how many were left? (<-- this one is a real answer) But, the best one out of the whole class, repeated here exactly as I found it, was this:

"Sam had 72,565.71 lemon drops. Mom ate 64,567.17 lemon drops. How many are left?"

Next time I find some lemon drops, I'm going to try to eat just 0.17 of one of them. Oh, and by the way, he got the answer right. When I tried it myself, I messed up, but I rechecked it and his answer was correct. Cute/smart kid. And well-behaved, too.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #464
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I watched him do it in the Olympics. And just now I watched on tv when my friend's brother won another silver medal in cycling time trial, this time in the world championships

Hooray!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #465
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

MY FRIEND WON THE REGIONAL METROPOLITAN AUDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

It included the Texas area and New Mexico.

At first I didn't think he would win, because despite his potential he seemed a little outclassed simply because he has a little bit of a habit of 'gripping' with his throat through his middle and upper registers. But the potential is very clear in his voice, and he was SO amazing, and the other singers were all a lot older... and apparently the judges heard that potential.

He totally won first place... and let me just say that there is no one more deserving. He has worked hard since he was a teenager, and has never slacked or waned in his efforts... he has not only vocal potential, but a true 'workman' attitude of getting things done and being the best he can be.

There was actually a tie for first, and when the first girl was named everyone clapped... when my friend was announced after that as the second 'first place' winner, people jumped up to their feet and just SCREAMED for him. Everyone there was so charmed and taken by his performance that they wanted him to win. It was so moving and awesome.

So this upcoming March he will be in New York competing against all the other first place winners.

Last edited by Tessar : 09-27-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #466
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
MY FRIEND WON THE REGIONAL METROPOLITAN AUDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

*speechless*

What did he sing???
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Old 09-28-2009, 05:36 AM   #467
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
[...]
There was actually a tie for first, and when the first girl was named everyone clapped... when my friend was announced after that as the second 'first place' winner, people jumped up to their feet and just SCREAMED for him. Everyone there was so charmed and taken by his performance that they wanted him to win. It was so moving and awesome.
That's great, Tessar! I'm so happy for him - and for you!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 09-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #468
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post

What did he sing???

He sang one of Tamino's arias from Magic Flute (the really hard one... I forget the title at the moment), and then Una Furtiva Lagrima.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #469
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
He sang one of Tamino's arias from Magic Flute (the really hard one... I forget the title at the moment
Dies Bildnis, from Act 1? That is heartbreakingly beautiful when sung well!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #470
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I got two shots today and I'm already feeling a bit better . The new walk in clinic I went to is so much better than the last one. The nurse actually commended me for coming in 'soon' to get it taken care of rather than waiting for it to turn into a full on problem, rather than the old clinic where they basically treated you like a hypochondriac.

They think it's just exhaustion + allergies and it lead to a small throat infection. So I got an antibiotic shot to kill the infection and a steroid shot to bring the swelling of my cords/throat down immediately. I can already tell the difference, although I'm not going to even hum or vocalize till tomorrow evening before the performance.

So YAY!!! I should be in okay shape to perform tomorrow, and I don't think I'll have to cancel my Sunday morning singing either. That's a huge relief. I am so happy because I was afraid I might be coming down with the flu.

Last edited by Tessar : 10-01-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #471
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

This is wonderful news! I'll be praying for your performances. Until then, rest!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #472
Mari
Elf Lady

That's good to hear! Will those performances be recorded?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #473
katya
Elven Maiden

It's October! I'm pretty sure October is my favorite month. I love the weather, and I love Halloween. I pretty much celebrate Halloween all October long. I do things like read Poe or Dracula or Frankenstein, and make Halloween-themed candy. I made ghost cookies today, and tomorrow I'm going to get some construction paper and make cut-out bats and cats and things, and make a coffin out of a box of donettes.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #474
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Oh how adorable! I too love this time of year. I just walked home this evening under Autumn trees silhouetted against a rising moon.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:50 AM   #475
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'm happy! Happy, happy, happy, happy. Jon and hector are too funny . Lol.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 10-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #476
Mari
Elf Lady

Those cookies look yum!

I'm happy because my pupil liked the assignment I thought up for him!

Old 10-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #477
Mari
Elf Lady

I'm going to the musical Joseph and the Techincolour Dreamcoat with my mum on October 17th ^_^
Looking forward to it!

Old 10-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #478
Amael
Elven Warrior

Tis a happy day. The sun is brightly shining and for the time, the steady rains that dominated the past couple of weeks have stalled. Other matters have slowly begun to stabilize, and the year of 2009 itself draws to a fortunate close. Hopefully 2010 is a rather uneventful year, because usually no news is good news. It seems I've definitely been spoiled by neutral thinking.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #479
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Happy!!!! I'm going to spend a weekend with my best friend at her cabin in the mountains!!! We're hoping that two other friends can join us, too. The four of us used to do this once a year before I moved, but it's been 4 years since we were able to do it but now, at the very least, two of us will

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #480
Mari
Elf Lady

That's good to hear, Rian, Amael!

Closed Thread