Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 02:59 AM   #461
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh, I wanna see Lemony Snicket! The trailers make it look really fun-looking, like that Winona Ryder movie from about 15 years ago when she was a goth kid who moved with her family into a haunted house - wait, i remember, Beetlejuice! Last night I rented National Treasure; I had a gig working as an extra on this film...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 05-08-2005, 02:53 AM   #462
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Kind of like the LOTR guy that said how when people draw swords out of scabbards, the sound guys always add that ringing noise, but that's totally wrong.
But...to have a fully leather scabbard would be kind of silly. If I remember correctly, there's metal around the top of most scabbards to guide the sword, so it doesn't go "stabby!" through the nice leather and ruin it..so there would be "shink" sound. Sorry to be nitpicky. Heh.

I just saw Kingdom of Heaven. Not bad at all, but man, poor Mr. Bloom is severely typecast now.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:51 PM   #463
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

White Noise.

What Nonsense.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #464
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Secretary

Surreal, and okay.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #465
Janny
The Blobbit

H2G2. Was ok. Could have been sooo much better.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #466
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr Polish
But...to have a fully leather scabbard would be kind of silly. If I remember correctly, there's metal around the top of most scabbards to guide the sword, so it doesn't go "stabby!" through the nice leather and ruin it..so there would be "shink" sound. Sorry to be nitpicky. Heh.
I'm going off of what the LOTR artist guy (John Howe) was so adamant about. He's a major sword buff and is in medieval sword fighting clubs and has a collection of swords and things like that, and he goes absolutely nuts about that ringing sound because it's so wrong. He says it just kind of goes "swoosh". That's a good point of yours about metal around the top; I see what you mean, but Howe says that that ringing sound is just totally wrong, and he's had tons of experience with it. I wonder what it really does sound like? I've never heard.

Do you think you'll notice the screechy tires sound effects of car on gravel or dirt now, or did you already realize that?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:33 PM   #467
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
my favourite too, alan cumming's 'boris' is brilliant, very funny
Yeah, the whole "I am invincible!" thing was funny, but also sad and ironic. That part was amazingly subtle for a James Bond movie, and very well done.

But whyyyyyy the horrible Xenoia Onatop!? At least they only made one bad pun about her name, and I acknowledge that the bad name thing is a James Bond staple... but her character was horrible!! Okay, I've ranted about that enough.

About the sound effects thing... what movie is the tires on gravel thing from? As for the sword, I think it wouldn't go *shingg*, because IMO you would cover the inside of the metal. Unless you put a sharpener on it. It makes sense in my head. Plus, I think I read that in a book somewhere - each time the character drew his sword, it was sharpened a bit. That makes sense since I imagine blugeoning people's armour for hours on end would dull your sword. Just my not-practically-informed-but-well-read-opinion.

EDIT: But about sound effects... your fist doesn't really make a loud, meaty smack when you punch someone. So's ya know.
And when you kick, it doesn't go *whoosh* first. *cough* Kung-fu movies *cough*

But sometimes these additions are important in adding drama and excitement to fight scenes. That's probably why they make the swords go *shingg* too.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 05-09-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #468
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The tires-on-gravel/dirt screechy mistake you can see on tv shows, movies, etc. Since hubby pointed it out, every time I hear a tire screech noise I check to see what surface the car is on, and often it's gravel or dirt where it would NOT be making that noise. See if you can spot one!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:32 PM   #469
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
EDIT: But about sound effects... your fist doesn't really make a loud, meaty smack when you punch someone. So's ya know.
And when you kick, it doesn't go *whoosh* first. *cough* Kung-fu movies *cough*

But sometimes these additions are important in adding drama and excitement to fight scenes. That's probably why they make the swords go *shingg* too.
Depending on what you hit and how hard you can get that meaty smack. And I've made whooshing noises in my martial arts classes, but I think that was due to my canvas uniform snapping.

All in all, it's really not that big of a deal, but it can be fun to observe and nitpick sometimes.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:07 PM   #470
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

*My* fist makes a meaty sound when it hits.

Lemony Snickets was a total waste of time
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #471
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Philadelphia and The Believer.

The Believer was an interesting movie, though I'm not quite sure what the filmmakers tried to provide with it..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-15-2005, 05:44 PM   #472
Manveru
Elven Warrior

i just saw kingdom of heaven last night and it was amazing. if you havent seen it yet go see it now, right now. why r u still reading this? go!
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Old 05-17-2005, 11:28 PM   #473
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Last night I saw "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers", and I must say, it has been a while since I've witnessed such utterly talentless directing, but Geoffrey Rush saved the day with his brilliant interpretation of the late, great Peter Sellers. Rush was the only - the ONLY - interesting part of this sorrowful waste of celluloid.
So, still in the Sellers mood and greatly needing to cleanse my visual palette after last night's filmic travesty, I rented The Pink Panther. Ahhh, relief - Peter Sellers is (was) one of the most fascinating artists to watch. To all those out there in the mood to rent something in the near future, I reccomend "Being There", starring Sellers in one of his most brilliant performances.
Just don't waste your money on "The Life and Death..." unless you're dying to see Geoffrey Rush do his thing.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #474
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

"The Life Aquatic", Wes Andersen's latest. If you're a Rushmore fan, you'll love it; I certainly did. This is such a great little movie - the director's attention to interesting details, the story itself, all the actors, the fantasy animals (check out the crayon pony-fish! and the tiny frogs that flip themselves over instead of hopping away!) Plus, Galadriel's in it; Cate Blanchett's character, and I loved her performance. Willem Dafoe is hilarious, and Bill Murray - need I say more? Check it out, IMO it's a very good movie .

Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 PM   #475
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

somethin happened to my subscription of this thread
Old 05-19-2005, 07:28 PM   #476
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Eeee...tired...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #477
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Starr Polish, what was it like?? I'm DYING to see it!

BTW, I love your signature - Bretrand Russell has always been my very, very favourite philosopher.

Last edited by Lotesse : 05-19-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:33 PM   #478
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Bah, I thought I had responded to SW in this thread already.... oh well, the last film I saw was the end of the Epic Star Wars, Revenge of the Sith Episode III, 12:01!!!

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Old 05-19-2005, 11:54 PM   #479
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Wish I were watching the Sith right now, instead of this wrenchingly horrible garbage "The Merchant of Venice" playing on my DVD. What cruel butchery of Shakespeare; especially the girls who all look like pigs and one wonders how they got cast when they don't seem even able to act their ways out of a teen B-rate slasher farce flick, never mind attempt Shakespeare. Jeremy Irons is O.K., but even Pacino isn't doing it for me in this stupid waste of money. And I like Al Pacino. Maybe he should stick to playing interesting gangsters.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:12 PM   #480
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I saw the Star Wars movie yesterday.. I'm not a great fan, but a friend took me to the movies. It was okay, and I'm sure it was wonderful for the fans, but the fact that one knew what was going to happen didn't make it very exciting..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Closed Thread