Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 05:28 AM   #461
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Brokehorn4000
Fifth, if Albert Einstein denied the very existence of God in his life, and didn't turn from that idea until he died, I can guarantee you that he is in someplace really hot right now.

If you don't decide to change your ideas before you die, then I know I won't be seeing you in Heaven.
So it doesn't really matter how many charities I support or the good things I do. Because if I don't believe in any god defined by writings from centuries ago I won't go to heaven? That's pretty... *reminds herself to stay nice* ... un-civilised of your god.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:07 AM   #462
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Entlover:
. . .obviously nobody's going to change his mind.
Who are we talking about here?
Old 07-01-2002, 08:52 AM   #463
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
QUOTE]Originally posted by Rána Eressëa Christians and their God are not interested in finding truth, or having anything to do with it.
Quote:
Funny, it was because Christ struck me as being totally truthful that I first became a Christian. I know, obviously not everyone feels that way.
See I think that semantic savvy is lacking in many believers

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:00 AM   #464
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
See I think that semantic savvy is lacking in many believers
Do you think that the "god-brain" acts like a succubus or something? Sucks out all signs of intelligence?
Old 07-01-2002, 12:20 PM   #465
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Perhaps it's because you're all a bunch of monkys, and incapable of actually comprehending infinity at a personal level....

Of course, if you were able to do so, you'd be insane, just like me.

There's a universal conciousness, but if it does spare a thought for poor benighted humanity, it's likely to be wondering if the experiment is done, or should it wash out the petri dish and start over.

There's a long, long distance between finite, and infinite, even if your finite starting point is inconcievably vast, lke the visible perceivable universe.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 07-01-2002, 03:15 PM   #466
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Wash out the petri dish? I'd say a good autoclaving is in order.

I find the universal conscience to be infinitely incoherent.

If it did ever think of humanity, it forgot to finish it and it's rotting in the back of a very dirty celestial refrigerator.

So the the [I]inconceivably/[I] vast finite is infinitely far from the infinite? Who'd have guessed.

ergo I am insane!

I am amused at the astronomy that shows that the light we can perceive is 16 billion years old. How old is the light currently being generated at the perceivable distance will be when it gets here? The distance is changing all the time. right? A bit too small a sample I would say, on the chronological axis.

I don't think the believer problem is semantic savvy as much as hideous grammar. She can't help it, she's old.

Plankton are phototropic, but dolphins aren't.... swim to the light...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-02-2002, 03:32 PM   #467
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
I find the universal conscience to be infinitely incoherent.
Conciousness. You damned apostate heritic.

Quote:
I am amused at the astronomy that shows that the light we can perceive is 16 billion years old. How old is the light currently being generated at the perceivable distance will be when it gets here? The distance is changing all the time. right? A bit too small a sample I would say, on the chronological axis.
12.5 billion was the latest estimate I am aware of. However expansion isn't strictly spatial, you realize. The distance gets bigger, but the yardstick gets bigger also, just not as quickly.

But even then, yes 16 billion years is just a blip, compared to infinitity. So it's possible. However, metaphysics rears it's ugly head, and you just can't say it's a certainty. But I like the odds, so I'll say conciousness.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 07-02-2002, 04:07 PM   #468
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart

12.5 billion was the latest estimate I am aware of. However expansion isn't strictly spatial, you realize. The distance gets bigger, but the yardstick gets bigger also, just not as quickly.

But even then, yes 16 billion years is just a blip, compared to infinitity. So it's possible. However, metaphysics rears it's ugly head, and you just can't say it's a certainty. But I like the odds, so I'll say conciousness.
The telescope array recently assembled in Peru is sensing out to 16 billion, I read recently (last week, I think).

I alo read that the mega black holes/dark matter may connect to other universes. Don't ask me how. It was the reader's digest version. I'll snoop.

And by the way, I'm a heretic

Also, my doctor says my prostate is fine

I haven't forsaken my religion. I still worship me and you should too... before it's too late...

Metaphysics IS ugly, isn't it
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-02-2002, 04:11 PM   #469
Blackheart
Elf Lord

You are an apostate heritic.

That means you have left things out of your heresy.

Such as the fact that I am the true prince of chaos, and you are but a niggling minor deity of traffic jams and annoying sitcoms.

As for singularities connecting to other realms, that's a bit of a misnomer. A singularity is another realm/dimension/etc.

Roaches can check in, but they can't check out.

The other end of a black hole, in whatever odd "space" it exits/exists in- assuming there is an expansion, would be a "white" hole- and look remarkably similar to the initial expansion of this universe, according to everything I've been able to get my hands on.

Regardless, yes there probably are wheels within infinite wheels.

Old 07-02-2002, 04:28 PM   #470
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You've got it all wrong - I'm the one who's in charge here. Oh, and bah humbug.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:39 PM   #471
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Wrong wrong. We all know you are in charge of sheep.

Sheep and bending our minds away from the topic.

The topic being the posibility of deities or a deity existing. somewhere, somewhen.

And I don't mean a goddess of sheep herders

Old 07-02-2002, 04:45 PM   #472
Cirdan

Quote:
You are an apostate heritic.

That means you have left things out of your heresy.

no, it means your spelling heretic wrong...

Quote:

Such as the fact that I am the true prince of chaos, and you are but a niggling minor deity of traffic jams and annoying sitcoms.
Traffic jams??? I never leave the dark fortress except in my disembodied form. A prince you say. I will consider your vassalship. But first...

KNEES!
Quote:

The other end of a black hole, in whatever odd "space" it exits/exists in- assuming there is an expansion, would be a "white" hole- and look remarkably similar to the initial expansion of this universe, according to everything I've been able to get my hands on.

Regardless, yes there probably are wheels within infinite wheels.
Yes, I was there (of course) at the beginning. Making universes is like making sausage. You don't want to know...

Quote:

You've got it all wrong - I'm the one who's in charge here. Oh, and bah humbug.
We are not monotheists. Your godhood is acknowledged. In charge? You must work in accounting.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-02-2002, 04:51 PM   #473
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Sheep and bending our minds away from the topic.

I'm going to pop an absurdly large pimple on you for that.

Quote:
The topic being the posibility of deities or a deity existing. somewhere, somewhen.

I thought we had already established on this 20 + page topic that this was an improbability, and that we were pointing and laughing. Damn, did I miss something?

Quote:
We are not monotheists. Your godhood is acknowledged. In charge? You must work in accounting.

Bite me.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:12 PM   #474
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Wait a minute!! I have exited my deep and restful slumber, and have returned.
Quote:
Blackheart:
I am the true prince of chaos, and you are but a niggling minor deity of traffic jams and annoying sitcoms.
Look, you deities, gods, princes, whatevers can bicker all you want. When it comes down to it, it is I who is the Pope, and it is I who controls the masses.

Whatever, you may proceed to inform me of doctrines which I will twist and morph into mine own little fiendish plans...

Never forget. Pope Anduril am I.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:19 AM   #475
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
niggling minor deity
are you referring to me as a baby?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:42 AM   #476
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Brokehorn4000
Eigth, when you said you believed in one fewer god than those of the faith reading your post, for me that means you don't believe in a god at all.

If you don't decide to change your ideas before you die, then I know I won't be seeing you in Heaven.
My classmates often told me that since I do not believe in God I was going to go to Hell. Little did they know . . . I do not believe in Hell either!

So, really, your make-believe Hell fails to frighten me. Anyways, if I get down there I'll just take the place over. And you will not have a Dark Lord, but a Dark Queen! Mwa-hahahahaha!

In all honesty, I am proud to be a person who doesn't need a book to tell me where my soul is.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 07-04-2002 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:08 AM   #477
Cirdan

I just realized I don't believe in me. I don't exist.

Anduril, I beleive you may have a schism on your hands...

...and there is some delicious god flesh ready for the biting...

I'm going out on a limb here and say that god apparently doesn't exist

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-03-2002, 11:40 AM   #478
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
Wait a minute!! I have exited my deep and restful slumber, and have returned.Look, you deities, gods, princes, whatevers can bicker all you want. When it comes down to it, it is I who is the Pope, and it is I who controls the masses.

Whatever, you may proceed to inform me of doctrines which I will twist and morph into mine own little fiendish plans...

Never forget. Pope Anduril am I.
Sorry. I intend to begin interacting directly with my subjects, so we won't need a middleman anymore.

Old 07-03-2002, 11:43 AM   #479
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
I just realized I don't believe in me. I don't exist.

I'm going out on a limb here and say that god apparently doesn't exist
If neither of you exist, then do you both have non-existance in the same manner?

See, I'm about to get deep here, and insist that you define existence, and then refine non-existence as a mutually exclusive set.

Old 07-03-2002, 12:10 PM   #480
Cirdan

Quote:

See, I'm about to get deep here, and insist that you define existence, and then refine non-existence as a mutually exclusive set.
*puts on hip waders*

I stink, therefore I am.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Closed Thread