Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-05-2005, 02:05 AM   #461
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Tyaron and Alagos looked at her with astonishment, then warm smiles spread across their faces, and they bowed in return. Tyaron, as the eldest present, spoke: "I thank thee, gracious lady, for thy warm welcome. It is always pleasant for wanderers to hear their heart language spoken by another." In a more serious tone, he continued, "But unless you have something else to say for our ears only, we had better not speak our dialect any further, lest we lend truth to his lies."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #462
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

"How I speak to my servant's is my own owen business, not your's, whether you her brother, a friend of her brother or anyone else," replied Khamûl, though very much wanting to draw his sword upon this elf, but he remembered the words of the Morgul Lord.
"Yet I have no quarell with you my good elf, but please, this matter is between myself and my house keeper."
"You say you have other things to do that are not at Orrodel. What are these. I do not believe I gave you permission to have another job, or something else that will take up time other than the supervision of this house," said Khamûl, turning to Rian.
"I was not aware that I was not allowed to have a lifeoutside of Orrodel," replied Rian sarcastically.
"Well you are now. I am relieving you of all duties here at Orrodel. Do not return to my premises or I will take severe action against you," said Khamûl.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 11-08-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:14 PM   #463
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

R*an inclined her head slightly. "I think that is the best solution for all concerned," she said quietly in a cool, polite voice, altho she was seething inside at his twisted words.

"Because I am a good manager and a fair person," R*an continued, "I will make you this offer: if you like, I will spend a few hours here later this morning to prepare Zimra to take over for me - telling her the meal plans for the day, and preparing her to interview the 3 ladies coming after lunch, and things like that. I am perfectly willing to do that, but it is your decision. Also, shall I pack up my things now, as I have friends with me to help carry them, or shall I come back later?"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 11-08-2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #464
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Aiwendis tries to sleep

University Palace, around dawn on Monday.

After having washed and changed into an intricately embroidered nightgown, Aiwendis lay in her bed, unable to sleep. The events of the evening and night replayed in her mind again and again. What a fool she has been! First, lusting after a mortal, then caring for that crazy bunch of her fellow-nazgul. Her memory had played a trick on her. They were far worse than she remembered them.

She recalled how she ran invisible through the corridors full of servants. How she pleaded on her knees before the Morgul Lord to come to Orrodel, instead of spending a delicious night together, which he was probably inclined to do. Aiwendis bit her lip, and drove her little fist hard into the bedpost. "Fool, you have always been a fool, Aiwendis".

No one of those in Orrodel was a least bit grateful for the help she has brought to them. Udu glared at her, as if she were responsible for his plight. He had full ten minutes to warn Lilly and Buz and get away somewhere. It was his own fault that he got caught like a mouse in Khamul’s trap! And Lilly! The ungrateful readhead even tried to revile her publicly for all her pains to deliver her from Khamul’s grip. "I should have let Khamul strip all the flesh from her backside", thought Aiwendis angrily.

Never again will she care for them. Let them fall into the abyss long prepared for all of their kind!

And now this Tolvadok. She has always hated him, feared him more than she feared the hot-blooded Khamul. Cold he was and dangerous, deadly efficient and indomitable, like a poisonous snake.

Aiwendis got up and unlocked a wall cabinet, where some of her most innocent potions were stored. She selected a bottle of Vala-riana, herb of the Valar, mixed with some poppies, potion for sweet dreamless sleep and rest. She uncorked it and made a small swallow. It will help her to forget…

Last edited by Gordis : 11-06-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:04 AM   #465
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

MM's propose an excursion to Maethor

Red Herring, Monday, around noon.

Udu was finishing his first bottle of wine, when he saw two brightly clad girls coming onto the terrace. They spotted him immediately, waved, and came to his table giggling shyly.

"Oh, Professor Maethor! exclamed Miriel

"How nice to see you again" continued Malaphel. "Have you forgotten that we promised to take you around the City? We were looking for you since early morning.."

"Yes, since ten!" interrupted Miriel. "We came to your apartment at the University, but you were not there, and old Professor Bumbldore was still sleeping!"

"But then we met the Chancellor!" cried Malaphel exuberantly. "He said he thought you could be found at the Red Herring and laughed! He is such a nice man, Lord Ilmenzor, he…"

"Yes, not at all "icy"! Why ever people call him that? We wanted to invite him along, but he said he had lectures. What a pity!"

"Now, what would you like to see? The University? But that you must have seen already. The Bridge? By the way, I heard a girl jumped from the bridge this morning, poor lost soul! Do you want to see the Governor Palace? We can invite you for a cup of Khandian Coffee…"

"I know, Malaphel," cried Miriel, happy with her idea. "We shall do all that and then go and see those Easterling dancers from yesterday. They are housed in the University, right above your own rooms, Professor!"

Malaphel eyes lit. "Yes!" she cried. "Did you like them, Professor? I thought they were cute, and danced quite well, but Mother said it was unseemly to dance undressed! She said naked woman’s flesh is not a good sight for Faithful Dunedain!"

"There are rumours in our sewing circle," whispered Miriel conspiratorially, "that in the East all women go around like that all the time".

"There is also talk that these girls dance every night for the Chancellor and all the Professors, but completely undressed this time. Is that true, Professor?" asked Malaphel, blushing from her daring.

Last edited by Gordis : 11-06-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:23 PM   #466
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

"I don't think that will be necessary. I will have Lily brief Zimra in what is needed to be done, as she is now taking your place as house manager. As for your things I will have someone take them to the Red Herring at three o'clock. Now if you don't mind would please leave my property. I have things to sort out," replied Khamûl, turning his back to Rian and returning to the house.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 11-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #467
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Red Herring, Monday, around noon.

Udu groaned inwardly when he saw Miriel and Malaphel coming onto the terrace of the inn. It was too late to escape, though he considered it, but he was trapped! On they talked like two chattering magpies and asked questions quicker than he could answer them. Deciding it was better to let them talk until they became out of breath, he waited until they had finished before speaking.

“Ladies, how good to see you again. You both look excellent and marvelous! How could I forget that you had promised to take me about the city today!” he said, beaming pleasantly at them. Actually, he had been dreading the prospects of ever seeing them again.

“How kind of you to come looking for me at the university, but I was out and about early this morning. There was some business to which I had to attend. You saw the Chancellor, you say? He is a fine man, very distinguished. No, no, of course he would not leave his classes; he is very dedicated.”

To Malaphel’s question of “What would you like to see?” Udu answered, “It seems you have an itinerary already planned for me. How thoughtful of you two!” He thought to himself, “I cannot bear these two chattering creatures, but perhaps they might prove useful sometime. They seem to know everything and everybody.”

“Some poor wretched girl jumped from the bridge? How tragic!” he said out loud. “Certainly, I would like to see the governor’s mansion and have a cup of Khandian coffee. I am sure the building is quite sumptuous.”

“Eastern dancers! Now that is an attractive idea!” he thought. “Yes, I remember the dancers,” he told them. “How marvelous to have such talented performers visiting in the city! Certainly I would like to see them.”

Malaphel was going on now about her mother’s opinion of Eastern dances. “My dear,” Udu said, “you must understand that there are differences in culture. Perhaps we of the Faithful Dunedain are too stodgy and set in our ways, and need to become more adaptable in our thinking,” he said and smiled pleasantly.

Miriel was talking about the scandalous behavior of the women of the East. “I assure you that those tales are exaggerations! Sometimes they do dance while clothed.” He wondered if he had said something wrong, but neither girl seemed embarrassed, except Malaphel, who had a slight blush upon her face.

“You say they dance undressed every night! Dear Malaphel, I think the ladies in your sewing circle have imaginations that are far too active.” He took her hand and patted it. “I spent part of the evening yesterday with some of the professors, and I assure you that there were no such scandalous proceedings as that! Quite to the contrary! All of us spent the evening engaged in intellectual pursuits and discussing philosophy. One must not believe everything one hears,” he said, smiling, amused at his own private jokes.

“Why did the others not tell me about the dancing girls every night,” he thought. “They are holding out on me!”

Looking at the two of them and beaming, Udu said, "This inn must have many tales which it could tell. I would like to know some of its history. Would you be so kind as to inform me of it?"
Old 11-07-2005, 01:04 AM   #468
Rían

In front of Orrodel Mansion
Monday, early morning

"Well, that could have gone worse," Eärniel said to the elves of Gondolin, as the door to Orrodel shut in their faces.

"Why don't you three go to the Red Herring for some breakfast? Especially since Yávanna Kementári hasn't served any food today yet," she added with a mischievious smile.

"I've already eaten, so I'll meet you there later. In the mean time, I think I just might be able to get you three some proper lodgings, not the kind where the patron shuts the door in your face."

"That would indeed be great, Eärniel. See you later," R*an said.

Eärniel took leave with a short nod and turned around, walking quickly back to her own lodgings.

Turning to the professor, R*an said graciously, "Professor Mahtaliel, it would be a pleasure if you would join us."

Last edited by Rían : 11-07-2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:20 AM   #469
Rían

Orrodel stable area
Monday 9 AM

Arastud, who had his hands full with grooming a horse that was feeling its oats this morning, looked blankly at Zimra. "What? Done with who?" he asked in confusion. Then he remembered what had happened last night, and his expression changed from one of confusion to one of concern and doubt and uncertainty - what in the world was he supposed to do? He certainly didn't want to ruin the girl's character! Who knows what she did after he left her with Zimra, in the condition she was in! There weren't any other men around Orrodel; he fervently hoped she didn't slip out and go after some other guy after Zimra left her! She had always seemed a nice, quiet girl - but you never know what a person will be like when they are drinking!

Zimra saw his face change and jumped on it. "I knew it!" she cried. "It's getting so a girl isn't safe in this town! I had heard you were a gentleman, but I see that's just a lie - you're as bad as the rest of them! Now where is she? What did you do with her?"

Arastud tossed the curry comb over to his little brother and said firmly, "Finish up for me, Arabud." His younger brother clearly had other thoughts running in his head - what with the lights last night, and the noises, and now a maid missing? - inquiring minds wanted to know MORE! Arastud gave his brother the Sibling Look Of Death, and Arabud shrank meekly back and started grooming the horses assiduously. Arastud was a big guy.

"Look, Zimra, I don't know where she is, but this is a serious accusation you have made against me - I need to talk to you somewhere alone," said Arastud quietly, as he took the emotional maid by the elbow and firmly guided her to the back of the tack room.

"You just leave that door open, now, or I'll scream!" said Zimra with big eyes.

"Don't worry, Zimra - I'll stay back here, and you stay by that first saddle - you have a clear shot to the door. But there's no need to worry - I don't hurt women."

"The last time I saw her was when I handed her over to you, Zimra," said Arastud. "And you say she's gone now? Are you sure she's not just in town getting supplies or anything?"

"Don't act so innocent with me, Arastud! Her room a mess, the kitchen a mess, and her not checking with me before going into town? And you the last one seen with her, carrying her out of your room? No, you won't get out of it that easily!" she said angrily.

Arastud sighed and wrinkled his forehead - how in the world could he explain things without putting Melwen in a bad light? Zimra misunderstood his pause, and said angrily, "Don't you try to give me a story, now, I want the truth!" and then said in a quieter voice, "She's my cousin..."

Arastud said firmly, "You misunderstood my silence, Zimra - I am only pausing to think, because what I have to say will put your cousin in a bad light, unfortunately. Wait!" he added, holding up his hand as Zimra bridled up again. "Please hear me out! I swear that I will tell you the truth."

Zimra nodded curtly, and Arastud told his story, lightening up Melwen's actions as much as possible, up to the point where he had met Zimra in the hall. "After that, I went back to my room but couldn't sleep, for I thought it so strange that such a quiet girl should do that. And her eyes looked so ... so odd, Zimra! Did you notice that?"

Zimra tried to remember her cousin's eyes, but couldn't - they were blurred by her tears. "I didn't notice her eyes, except that she was crying," she said quietly.

"But this house is odd, too," he went on, "unless this is the way that these type of people normally act. My brother saw lights and heard noises far into the night last night. I don't know - I haven't been around high class people much, and maybe that's just the way they act - maybe they usually stay up all hours. But even in the short time I've been here ... I don't know, it's just ..." he shrugged his shoulders, unable to put words to his feelings. "But the pay is very good, and I'm hoping to have enough money saved up to marry on in a few months, so I'm staying on here."

"Yes," he added, as Zimra's eyebrows rose in response to this always-interesting subject, "I am betrothed to a young lady in town. Another reason why I would definitely NOT want to be involved with your cousin."

"Anyway, I thought for a bit in my room, but I was just so restless that I finally gave it up and went for a walk. I chatted with the watch for a bit, then came back shortly before dawn. And that's all that happened, Zimra, I swear it. I don't know where Melwen is now. Don't you think she might just be out running an errand or something? I'm a little concerned, too, if you are, but it's still early..."

Zimra was quiet. She didn't quite know whether to believe him or not, but he seemed sincere, and he DID have a very good reputation. Also, he was certainly attractive, and although she had never known her cousin to drink, yet she most certainly was drunk last night, and she could see how she might have gone to seek him out ... but no! Melwen wasn't like that! that she knew of, at least ... oh, there were just too many confusing things! But the one thing that she DID know was that the kitchen was a mess, and Melwen ... was gone. The rest could wait; they needed to find her. Then she remembered her cousin speaking of a young man in town ... if THAT was it, then she was in trouble, BIG time!!

She turned her eyes on him uncertainly. "I suppose you're right, it IS still early..." she said slowly. Then she remembered the mess in the kitchen. "She's gonna catch it when she gets back, though!"

Last edited by Rían : 11-09-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:03 AM   #470
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Chancellor's Palace, after 9AM, Monday.

Nimrael, Aiwendis’s most trusted lady-maid, opened the door of her Lady’s bedroom and entered on light feet bringing a tray with breakfast.

"Good morning, my Lady", she said brightly. "You look tired today, have you had good sleep?"

Nimrael was dark-haired and lithe, only twenty-three years of age, with heart-shaped face and rosy lips. She was from Osgiliath, hired soon after the elegant Chancellor’s house burned to ashes along with all the servants and the Fair Lady of the house. Nimrael had seen Lady Isilien several times and was fascinated by her beauty, kindness and easy dignity. Her daughter was a copy of her, but a different personality altogether, prone to depression, melancholy and quick shifts of temper.

"No wonder", thought Nimrael, "it must have been awful for Aiwendis to loose her mother even before she had time to know her, being raised away from home, as she had been, poor girl". Nimrael wondered privately, what made Lord Ilmenzor and Lady Isilien leave their daughter in the care of her mother’s southern kin for so long. Strange folk lived in the South. Nimrael heard many a whisper that the folk south of Umbar were all sorcerers and Evil worshippers, not Faithful at all. Nimrael hoped that Lady Isilien’s kin were not like that. Aiwendis seemed to be very attached to her father, though: Nimrael saw how she always followed the Chancellor with her eyes, when he was in sight.

Lately, her Lady was giving Nimrael much concern. Yes, that smell...
Her lady was drugging herself again!

Pursing her lips, Nimrael looked at Aiwendis disapprovingly. Something was wrong with her. Nimrael suspected she had a hidden sweetheart she was pining for. What was worse, on several occasions, Nimrael found her rooms empty at night. To slip out of her room at night and go out of the palace was unseemly for a young lady of quality. And mighty dangerous too. No one of the servants dared to venture outside at night. There was talk of ghosts haunting the old fortress, enticingly horrible stories told in front of the huge kitchen shimney on long winter evenings. Once Nimrael decided to search for her lady in the garden, but then she saw, or thought she saw, a ghostly shape clad in chainmail, a severed helmeted head under one arm, patrolling the wall. Nimrael rushed inside and lay all the night shaking, her head under her pillow.

Nimrael thought again what a faithful servant was supposed to do in this situation. She was alone here in Tharbad, her family far away. She knew better than to confide in other servants, she was not one to start a dirty talk about her Lady. Perhaps she should tell the Chancellor…
She shivered at the thought. He was a cold man, cold and frightening, even if always most polite to servants. No, she would better not.

"I have selected this pale blue dress for you to wear today, my lady" said Nimrael. "Do you find it suitable?"

Last edited by Gordis : 11-07-2005 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #471
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

"Thank you for the invitation, Lady Rian, but I should be getting back to the office, there are still some last minute adjustments to be made to the schedule of classes before everyone comes for orientation at ten." Mahtaliel couldn't quite keep the exasperation out of her tone, sometimes she really loathed the way her colleagues never seemed bothered by work...

"Then walk with us till the gate at least," said Rian, "We can start our meeting as we go and I'll rejoin you immediately after I change."
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 11-08-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #472
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Tharbad University
Professor's Apartments
Dawn

Alone in the room that had been given him, Tolvadok surveyed his surroundings distastefully. The room was rather bare, the only furniture being a bed in one corner, a table and chair, and a basin for washing up. Most professors furnished the rooms at their own expense, and Tolvadok had already determined to do something about this. Though he was as ready as the next nazgul to rough it out, he did like comfort at home...

He took off his black cloak, and hung it on the chair, and then began the slow task of taking off his light silver-black armor, and the weapons he had hidden all over his body. Then he remembered his luggage - consisting of a single satchel filled with all the essentials for a journey, which he had left with his horse, but then he found it had been already brought up to his room, and was reclining by the bed. Really, the Morgul Lord was most thoughtful sometimes.

Rid of the armor, and clad now only in a simple brown tunic, he threw himself on the bed. The journey had been very tiresome, and his body needed rest. But, once his head touched the pillow, all sleep left him, and his mind swirled with thoughts of all he had learned that night.

The One Ring... Ash Nazg... was the Morgul Lord right, could they really find it? It would mean he could give up this tiresome existence pretending to be a human, and become what he really was... a Ringwraith in the service of Sauron. But he did not trust any of his fellow-Nazgul to return it to their Master. They tried to hide it, but he knew how they secretly loathed the Master... he knew too the lust of the ring... He remembered the first time he saw it on Sauron's hand, and his heart had been torn with desire for it. But he would not succumb like the others. He knew his duty, and he would follow it. He would return the ring to Sauron, and whoever stood in his way, be he Nazgul or human or elf... he would deal with them.

Meanwhile, the more immediate task before him was to spy on the Elves, keep his ears open, and find out everything he could that could help. Associating with elves... very nauseating thought. But there was no help for it. He wondered what name he would give for himself, and decided it would be easiest to go by his real name... the name he once had as a human. He had never told anyone what it was once he turned undead... but he still remembered... Girithron... because he had been born deep in winter. A nice little cover story had been provided already, and all he had to do was convince everyone it was true. And why should anyone doubt him?

And so after having his little think, he fell promptly asleep.
Four hours later

In the next apartment, Jas Fernik woke up with a jerk from an uneasy sleep. He had had horrible dreams... where a dark cloaked man kept showing up. Anyway, now he was awake, he had a huge headache. He supposed he had been drinking too much last night.

Then suddenly he remembered that it was the first day of classes. Did he have any classes? He really could not remember... he knew there was an orientation, and Mahtaliel was in charge of the schedules... but when was it? Nine? Ten? Eleven? And Mahtaliel would look at him with such contempt if he turned up late... she was really rather dedicated, but also very touchy about her colleagues, especially if they were tardy. Dressing hurriedly, he rushed out of his room, only to collide with a tall man coming out of the next room.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 11-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #473
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

earlyish morning, monday

Constable BB left the Gondorians and not seeing Aratwit back yet from the University decided to pop to the red herring nearby for a breakfast ...

.................................................. .......................................

Boom was settling down on a comfortable shelf above the quiet and warm front desk of the watch... time for a doze ... forty flights of fancy ....

.................................................. .......................................

Bumble was woken by the maid bringing in his breakfast, rolling her eyes as usual at the mess and gingerly side stepping the detruious of wine bottles, and clothes that were strewn on the professor's floor ...

carefully popping down the steaming tray, she started chatting away, garrously

" you heard the news, then professor? all sorts of rumours going about ... a poor girl been fished out of the greyflood - dead she is!"

Bumble's one good eye could just be seen peering out above his heavy blanket

"grrrumph?"

"aye, dead i say!" continued the maid, with the eye of an expert tallying up the time it would take to tidy his room later - better than normal she thought ...

barliman was just finishing his bacon and mushrooms with some gusto when he saw what he had been keeping half an eye out for .. there through the window was Dwimmerbusy and his lad, he had been quick, it hadn't taken long for the red-herrings errand boy to reach him then ... there he was coming back over the bridge with his horse and cart bringing the dead girl back to her final resting ...

sighing, he called the lad over again

"just pop out lad, will ee? go ask Mr dwimmerbusy to pop in for a momment ere he passes .."

Barliman lit his pipe and knowing Dwimmer well he left his pouch on the table for him ... he felt much better now for another hot drink and some good fare inside him ...

"evenin all!" piped up dwimmerbusy as he entered and came and sat down by the constable ..."tragic goings on ... still its an ill wind as blows no good to no man ..."

taking the pouch with a nod from barliman he too lit his pipe, and they sat there for a few minutes silently letting the wreaths of smoke eddy about making their ghostly spiralling patterns against the light of the snug's window.

"Did ee' recognise her dwimmer?" asked the constable eventually.

"Aye, mores the shame of it, Bingo: tis young Melwen, Zimra's cousin ... you remember Zimra? used to work in the bakers on Tien hael ... always had a smile for the watch as i recall ..."

"you don't say?" replied Barliman, pulling the pipe from his mouth that momentarily dropped open ...
Old 11-08-2005, 11:26 PM   #474
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Beginning

Grey on silver. Silver in white. Ithilion cut through the thick mist that was lingering in the woods outside of Tharbad like a mithril knife. The mist muffled his hoof beats, and both stallion and rider were soundless. To the men of Captain Shah of the watch, upon the walls, naught but the faintest sound of merry, clattering tack was heard. The Captain was about to call out the change of guards, when he caught a glimpse of the ghostly rider, on the edge of the woods. He turned and stared full on into the mist, willing his aging eyes to see clearly. It was as though the ghost rider felt his gaze, and reigned in his steed, on the edge of the forest looked up, and raised his hand to Shah, before wheeling away deeper into the forest, getting lost from sight.

“Sir? Sir! Do you see anything?” A young man from the tower guard addressed him

“Huh? What?” Captain Shah tore his eyes away from the forest edge and looked at the young man.

“You were staring into the mist sir, did you see something sir?” the guard was looking towards the forest.

“No. Nothing, just times past.” A faint smile played about his eyes, and he stroked his black, grey streaked beard.

“Very well sir. The watch awaits orders to exchange shifts with the tower guards.”

“Announce the change of shifts, my men and I will be off promptly.” With that he strode from the wall and gave orders, as the bell tolled out, barking orders and throwing on his traveling cloak. “It has been one hell of a day thus far…Time to get some breakfast and see if old Elemir Phud bagged his ‘mighty’ trophy yet.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marthalion truly admired Captain Shah. He was one of the few “true” nobles, as Marty put it. A mighty warrior and champion of armies he had once been, now in his old age, he refused to rest on his laurels. Marty thought of him as an aging lion, and respected his hard working attitude, secretly wishing that he himself would take to old age with as much grace and dignity Captain Shah.

Knowing that this was his morning shift on the northern part of the wall, Marty looked for him, and found him close to one of the guard towers, his tall straight frame hard to miss. Grinning, he stopped Ithilion and raised his hand in salute to the grizzled veteran and dashed off to the starting ground. Asking Ithilion to trot as to not play down his strength, and he came to the little clearing that would serve as the starting point of the race. Marty looked around and saw no Ray. “Well, it seems we bested mister Rise ’n’ Shine himself!” Marty leaned down to pat the prancing Ithilion on the neck.

“Or not…what kept you, One Eye?” Marty started and looked about him, finding Raendil and Volricom standing still as statues in the shade of the trees around them. Only the puff of their breath distinguished them from the forest around them. Volricom’s brown and black, as well as Ray’s green and brown made them blend into their surroundings. The two men and their horses stood opposite, staring each other down. “Did you make sure to check and see if the flag spears are where they are supposed to be?” Marty queried. “Yep, came here early just to see if the trail was clear and planted the spears right where we agreed them to be. But if you want to check for yourself, be my guest.”

Though he didn't show it, Raendil had been startled at Marty's sudden appearnce out of the misty background. For he and his horse were nigh invisible, Ithilion being a silvery white and Marty being clad in dark and light grey and sliver.

Volricom flattened his ears and bared his teeth at Ithilion, dancing underneath Ray as Ithilion returned the favor. “Nah, that’s alright, if there is one thing about you that is both admirable and frustrating at the same time, it’s your unwavering ability to tell the truth. Regardless of how inconvenient a time it will make for you. Let me guess, you learned that from the elves too?”

“Well, in part, mostly from my father, actually. If there is one thing he values most, it’s honesty. What time is it?”

“About quarter past seven. Why are we waiting? Oh, that’s right, Viv was supposed to show up.” Marty chuckled, and grinned wickedly at his friend. Sheesh, just how attached is he to this lass? Heh, methinks I hear wedding bells in the not too distant future…. “Think she will show? She is borderline late…”

“Gah! I know Viv; she’ll come all right. This is just her cup of tea. I just hope she remembered the directions is all. This place isn’t exactly easily accessible to those who don’t know Tharbad. Er…I hope she isn’t lost…” Ray reached up to scratch his head, deciding whether or not to go looking for her. But his thoughts were ungrounded, for it was shortly after he said that, they heard the steady clip clop of hooves coming their way. Ray grinned over to Marty in an I-told-you-so way.

Hmm...I knew she'd show. The track is in excellent condition, exactly the way it suits us best...but...what the hell... Ray ever so slightly shook his head to try and figure out the little riddle. By Sauron's Snot, I SWEAR, those were DONKEY hoof prints, and it looked like they were running full bore with something mighty heavy on them, but how the heck could that be? Drunken donkey races? After a silent laugh, he dismissed these thoughts for later.

Ithilion began to prance nervously, throwing his head back and making little half leaps, as though torn between flight and fight. “Stop that you idiot…!” Marty punched his neck, but Ithilion merely pinned his ears and stomped in annoyance, shifting his weight from one side to another, giving a little screech, half of fear, half of anger.

Viv smiled as she entered the clearing, leaning over Laslech’s neck to avoid getting brushed off onto an overhanging tree branch. “Hey guys! It just took me a while to find this place; it’s pretty out of the way… So, um…yeah, the race.” Her smile turned into an uncertain grin, that Ray shared.

Marty suppressed a groan. “Yes, the race, so glad you noticed that this wasn’t a tea party.” Marty couldn’t suppress a grin at the pair of them. Viv and Ray looked like they had both just been woken up. Man, they both got it bad! I hope when I’m in love I don’t look like such a doofus! “Is it safe to assume that you haven’t gone over the race course?” Ithilion pinned his ears, stretched his neck and snorted at Laslech and Viv, causing the mare to swing her head around and try to nip the stallion. Fortunately, both Marty and Viniglaen were present of mind enough to tug their horses apart before any damage was done. Both Volricom and Raendil rolled their eyes at the unfriendly display.

He and Marty shared a look that said it all.

Women.

“No, I’m afraid I didn’t have time to go the course, I guess I will just have to stick hot on your heals if I am to figure it out. Or to win. I didn’t come here to loose, make no mistake! It isn’t going to be an easy win for you fine fellows, I assure you.” At the base of Viv’s eyes there was the spark. The same spark went through the other two, their blood becoming aflame with it. Competition. “Well, gentlemen, what are we waiting for?”

“Here, look, the race is about 3 miles long. Half of it is in the wooded area, we will probably have to jump, dodge and generally maneuver our way through the woods. The other half is plain speed on the open flats. Be careful though, if you try to short cut through these woods, you will end up in some mighty rough territory, and you more than likely will end up breaking both your's and Laslech's legs..” Ray jumped onto the ground and drew the racecourse in the dirt, Viv watched aptly, thinking; Well, so much for the easy way of winning. Shortcut = Broken Legs. THAT would be a fiasco! She looked at the etching in the dirt, forcing that into her head, and willing other interesting topics out of it.

As she looked at the map, she felt a slight sinking in her chest. Oh shoot, this is some serious stuff…I’d better focus on staying in the saddle and not making a fool out of myself. Hmmm…he DOES look good in that tunic. GAH! Wrong thoughts! Wrong thoughts!

“Alright then, to win, all you have to do is grab your spear, which is red for you, and shove it in the target at the end of the course, which is red also, trust me, it’s a piece of cake!” Ray remounted, leaping like a cat. They were off a ways to the starting point, each now absorbed in their own minds, running the course ere their horse’s hooves touched it. Each only hearing the thrum of their hearts, pounding away, like a primordial drum in their ears and the rhythmic thud of their mount’s hooves.

Horses lined up at the start. Muscles tensed. Eyes strained. Eager snorts came from straining mounts. The shout was given.

They were off!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 01-11-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #475
Rían

Later that morning
The Red Herring

R*an, Tyaron and Alagos took their leave of Professor Mahtaliel. R*an firmly took her brother's arm, pretending to not see Tyaron's. "WHY did I let Tyaron kiss me like that last night? What in the WORLD am I going to do NOW? I'm NEVER letting him sing to me again - it just ... DOES things to me! And I bet he KNOWS it, too!" she thought in frustration, as they approached the Red Herring. (When it came to singing, her elven blood ran strong.)

The men gave their orders to the waitress, who was trying not to stare too noticeably at them (elves were not ALL that common in those parts, and these elves had devices on their clothing that she had never seen before - very interesting!)

"I think I'll have a little something to eat, after all," said R*an, as she caught the waitress's eye and added her order. "And can you please help me take these jewels out of my hair while we're waiting, Alagos?"

"I think you look beautiful just as you are," said Alagos with what he hoped was a winning smile.

"Nice try, brother, but I can hardly go to class like this! It's bad enough that I can't change my dress, thanks to Professor Galaddanun, but at least I can take my jewels off. Come on now, give me a hand! And maybe I won't take so long tonight doing your hair."

Alagos got up, stood behind his sister, and, bending close over her, started to take the intricate hair piece and jewels out of her dark hair. Tyaron watched briefly, then looked across the way and started fiddling with the clasp of his dagger again. Finally he pulled it out and started absent-mindedly running his finger over the intricate etching on the blade.

"Just hand me that dagger for a minute, will you? Something's stuck here," said Alagos, winking at Tyaron.

R*an's hands flew up to her hair. "You wouldn't dare..." she started, then noticed a small boy staring at her. "Hello, Arabud!" she said with a smile. The young boy continued to stare. She was such a nice lady, and so pretty! (he had a minor crush on her - he was prone to crushes). "Come here and have a pastry!" she added, as the waitress set down their food.

"No thank you, Miss, I've already eten," he said shyly as he came up to her.

"What are you doing here? What will your brother do without you to help him at the stables?" said R*an in a serious tone, as one capable person to another.

"My brother sent me into town to order up s'more of those special oats that the horses like so much, Miss. Can I take any message or anything back to him for you?" asked the devoted boy, eager to help the pretty lady.

"Hmm - no, thank you, but thank you for your offer," she replied after pretending to consider the question seriously. "Now you better get on back before your brother needs you!"

Arabud bowed awkwardly and started to leave, and then R*an, remembering something, called him back.

"I just remembered - there IS a quick errand you could do for me," she said. "Could you please run and tell your father that my brother and my good friend have come to visit me, and that they can take out Hwesta any time they would like. Their names are Alagos and Tyaron. Quickly, now, and then back to Orrodel!"

Arabud, glad he could help her, ran off to his father's shop, quickly delivered the message, and then high-tailed it back to Orrodel.

Last edited by Rían : 11-15-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:58 PM   #476
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Mahtaliel sat down at her desk and pulled the unfinished schedules towards her. Thankfully she had gotten most of the student schedules copied out during the night, with blessedly few mistakes. Once the ink was on the page, correcting an error was next to impossible without starting over. That was one of the reasons the making the schedules was such a hated job among the professors.

There were only a handful more to finish, she dealt with Rian's first, just Jewelry-Making and Art-History.

Now it was only the professor's teaching schedules. Mahtaliel smiled mischieviously to herself. The only good thing about being in charge of the schedules is that if the other professors failed to request a time in advance, which they almost always did, she got to decide whose classes were at which time.

Let's see, she thought, Bumbledore had miraculously remembered to request his favored time this year, and he had only the one commerce class. Done.

Her own schedule had been finished well before. Fernick always had his wine tasting class late in the day, just before supper-time.

Now, who to stick with the early morning and the just before or after mid-day meal class times?

Feeling more cheerful, she picked up the Chancellor's class schedule...
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-09-2005, 05:58 AM   #477
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

“You’re back early”, remarked Itazel when Eärniel re-entered the kitchen.

“With good reason. Is Danor around? I’d have something to ask you both.”

“A moment, dear.” Itazel strutted to the door that opened on a tiny enclosed court yard. “DANOR!” She bellowed. “Kitchen, please!”

Danor came inside, slightly muttering. “Itazel, honey, the neighbours aren’t deaf you know. Neither am I. Oh, hallo again Eärniel. Back so soon?”

“Good day, Danor.” Eärniel said with a smile. “ I wanted to ask you both something. I’ve run into three old friends of mine. They have not found proper lodgings in Tharbad yet. So I was wondering, since you and Itazel know Tharbad better than me, whether you cannot recommend me an inn where I can point them to.”

“Send them to another inn, when we have empty rooms up here?” Itazel interrupted. “No, no, that just won’t do. Why Eärniel, I’m disappointed! I thought you Elves invented the concept of hospitality! “

Eärniel laughed. “I would gladly offer them rooms in my home in Nîn-In-Eilph, Itazel, but I’d run the risk they’d drown in the bogs if I sent them there without a guide. Besides, my friend will probably need to reach the university daily, like I do.”

“Well, then that’s settles it.” Itazel said firmly. “They’ll be staying here. I’m sure Danor will love having the company. Then he hears some sweeter voice than mine constantly goading him to get to work.”

“Itaze-el!” Danor exclaimed, his voice dripping with mock-hurt.

“Itazel, you are too kind.” Eärniel said earnestly.

“Nonsense! We’ll see whether you’re still convinced of that when I make you all help with the dishes!” Itazel added while waving a warning finger.

Eärniel grinned. “Oh, I’m sure that won’t be a problem.”

Itazel turned to Danor. “ I’m going to open up the rooms upstairs. Finish whatever you doing in the court yard and come help me then. Go get your friends, Eärniel. They’re no point in letting them wait. Go on then, haven’t got all day.”

After that Itazel immediately bustled off to work. Danor watched her go and scratched his head. He looked with some suspicion at Eärniel. Eärniel gave him an innocent look back.

“Did you know we had three empty rooms next to yours?” he asked finally.

“I think Itazel mentioned something like that the first day I got here, yes.”

“And you probably figured out Itazel likes nothing better than to mother over people. Regardless of what she says about me, she really loves to have company over herself.”

“That had come to my attention,” Eärniel admitted.

"So why do I have the feeling that you two feel very satisfied with thinking you've both out-smarted the other?"

"Because you're very perceptive," Eärniel said laughing. "You don't mind, do you, Danor?"

"No, I don't." Danor started laughing too. He walked back to the court yard to finish his work there.

"You're too kind too, Danor." Eärniel called after him.

Eärniel quickly ran upstairs to take one of her dresses with her for R*an. Her friend was still wearing the beautiful dress from the reception (Eärniel briefly wondered just what R*an had been up too all night not to have had time to go home and change) and that dress was hardly suitable for entering classes.

In the next room she could hear Itazel humming and airing the other bed rooms. Smiling to herself and indeed wondering just who out-smarted who, Eärniel left the old inn and went to the Red Herring.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #478
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Scars, the leader of the Marten Guild, sneaked into a crevice in the eastern wall with his two pals Trick and Treat, with the sole purpose of creating havoc.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #479
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Orientation Meeting

University. Monday 10 AM

At five minutes to ten, most of the Professors of USAT were assembled in the Great Reception Hall, waiting for the Orientation Meeting to begin. From the adjacent Entrance Hall came a muted hum of students voices. Usually, the Schedules, prepared by Professor Mahtaliel were first distributed among the Professors for their approval, and later given to the students.

Mahtaliel stood near a window, holding the scrolls with schedules in her hands, and surveying the assembled Professors. All were there, save Jas Fernik, Bumbledore and the Chancellor. There was not much hope to see the first two anytime soon, but Mahtaliel was waiting for the Chancellor to arrive at 10 sharp. That was his manner, and, with time, Mahtaliel started to think his punctuality was as annoying as everything else about the man.

This time, however, a Chancellor’s page in a bright University livery opened the door and announced: "The Chancellor kindly asks the Honourable Professors to proceed to his Study at the Palace, in order to present the Schedules to His Lordship and to hold the Orientation Meeting" .

Mahtaliel bridled immediately. "What is the point to go to the Palace when all the Professors and the students are already assembled here?"

The others only stood up meekly and filed through the garden to the Palace. On their way they met Jas Fernik who has just left the Professor’s apartments and was sprinting to the Main Hall.

"Come with us, Jas", called Mahtaliel. "The Chancellor deems it beneath him to come to us, so we have to go to him."

Once in the Palace hall, they noticed a thin, pale, flaxen-haired student in shabby clothes leaving the Chancellor’s study. He was obviously distressed, but sill he bowed politely and stepped aside, letting the Professors file past him.

The Chancellor sat at his table, stern look on his face. Frowning, he nodded to the professors, and gestured for them to sit.

"Good morning, honourable Colleagues. Please forgive me this change of settings. I had a very boring visitor, and couldn’t possibly be on time in the Hall. Now we can start the meeting without delay. Lady Mahtaliel, please read the schedules".

The clock in the corner chimed ten. Mahtaliel’s read the Schedules, exasperation obvious in her voice.

"Excellent, My lady." said professor Galadannun from his corner. "But where are my Oriental Languages?"

Last edited by Gordis : 11-10-2005 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #480
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Tolvadok dressed carefully, making sure he was wearing the shabbiest, oldest clothes he had. He had a plan which made it imperative to dress his worst.

As he got out of his room, a small man ran out from the next room, and crashed straight into him. He watched as the man stood mortified, offering him copious apologies, and was amused to recognise him as the man who had so wrongly directed him last night.
"I'm so sorry... wasn't looking, do forgive me-"

Tolvadok cut him short with a polite, "Its perfectly all right, I'm unhurt and you needn't worry." He noticed the man, probably a professor, looking at him strangely... obviously he, too recognised him now.

"But, I'm glad to have run into you, professor. I am new here and I needed to ask a few questions."

"I'm sorry, dear fellow, but I'm in a huge hurry, the Orientation''s about to start, and all the teachers have to be there. Say, are you a teacher? You look kind of young, though..."

"Actually, I'm a travelling scholar, and I was hoping to do some of the courses here-"

"You had better talk to Professor Mahtaliel. She's in charge of all that. And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go."

Tolvadok watched as the man ran down the corridor, and smiled thoughtfully. Mahtaliel... wasn't she one of the Elves the Morgul Lord had told them to watch out for? In that case, she would be the perfect person to feed his story to. At any rate, he needed to talk to the Morgul Lord about his plan... he should have asked the professor... but he would probably have given wrong directions again. Still, he could feel the general direction of the Morgul Lord. All he had to do was go that way.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here