Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 09:00 PM   #461
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Except that Val didn't say in his post that it was the Chancellor who shouted "Silence!" The way the post stands now, it is simply a mystery.
Well... I did INTEND it to be the Chancellor. Other possibilities exist. And really Gordis - I don't mind revising it, and pretty much plan to now - but feel like I have to re-think and re-write more than just that one phrase to make a cohesive whole. I mean... I had envisioned a particular chain of events - and really my chain is getting somewhat altered. I don't mind that - I just have to figure out how to re-work it (and it'll get easier if I don't have to read 10 posts on it each time I log on - I might get a little more time to do my thinkun' ).

Quote:
About the Ring of Barahir, anyone else noticed how complicated that design really is? I've actually been wondering whole day how they could possibly get all that on one ring.
Easy... they were ELVES!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 10-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #462
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Heya, All. Here is the layout of the dining hall

Dinner table
Gor will soon lead you there

I hope I have forgotten no one!
Azrabel, I think. We have the MM's mother (Nimloth, right?), but not their father, who is really the 'important' one, by his position.

EDIT - and I found a way to make what should be a suitable change to the one sentence in post #246. Is everything else acceptable? Or is it still a problem to have things coming at Valandil from all directions?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 10-15-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #463
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Awesome post, Udu. You and Khamul-TD interact wonderfully!
He hinted at the possible threat to your many wives and you continued...
Very interesting line shapes up.
Gordis,

Thank you very much. I like working with TD. I have been trying to envision what might happen if Khamul tries to enforce his will by the right of his superior Ring. Udu is suspicious that Khamul will try to lure him into an ambush somewhere. He does not want to suffer the same fate that Lilly did, and he does not want to attract any attention from humans or elves if they should come down to a fight by magic. Of course, Udu would lose.

Quote:
TD, Just read Khamul's BIO. Don't be so shy, Shadow of the East, don't forget to mention you used to rule both Rhun and Khand!
TD, as Gordis says, don't be a bit hesitant, in actions regarding Udu. Khamul was ruler of Rhun and Khand before he took the Ring. After the War of Last Alliance, Udu/Maethor, a Numenorean, fled east to part of Khamul's old domain, and took part of it, but not the majority of it, by any means.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 10-15-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:17 PM   #464
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Um... as much as I really hate jumping on the 'pointing out tiny little errors' bandwagon...
Could ya'll please try to spell Mahtaliel's name right?

It's not M-A-L-T-H-A-L-I-E-L

Nor is it M-A-H-T-I-L-I-E-L

It's M-A-H-T-A-L-I-E-L

Just thought I'd clarify and write it out so as to stick the correct spelling in people's memories. It is kind of difficult to remember at first.

Also: When we all enter the dining hall, how do we go about doing that? I'm guessing that it'll be in some formal manner, but how? The seating arrangment is alternating males and females, do we enter in pairs with the person next to us? Details!
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-15-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #465
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I just highlight it and copy it - easier that way.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:00 AM   #466
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

That is one of the good things about "they give you a number and take away your name." I am just Number 7, "Udu" in LOS Black Speech.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:34 AM   #467
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
yeah sorted it (pm box) ... have asked greywolf to edit his post, though i may have just missed him
Was it the EDIT part that you wanted removed?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:05 AM   #468
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Haven't YOU asked TD to edit when he wrote that Earniel was most pleased by Galadannun's compliment, and again BB - something about shampoo?
Indeed I have, but unlike in this situation she was mentioned by name and it was 100% clear it was about her. (The first edit was unlike Eärniel and happened to be a personal pet-peeve of mine as well. Although I admit I have been having doubts about why I couldn't let the shampoo-thing be. I must have been a little over-sensitive that day. )

But I see the situation is resolved, let's move on.

I'm surprised how quickly and fluidly the University personnel could provide RÃ*an with a place at the Main Table. The Chancellor must have some really able staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf in game thread
Falco, on Penny's orders, flew stealthily between the shadows of the towers of the University. There had been rumours of Elven agents trying to infiltrate the University Grounds.

The falcon was now following one these elves who was on his way to the safe-house.
Justa question, I was under the impression RÃ*an, Mahtaliel and Eärniel would be the only Elves in the University, so who's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Easy... they were ELVES!
Oh, really? I hadn't noticed.

Last edited by Earniel : 10-16-2005 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:29 AM   #469
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
EDIT - and I found a way to make what should be a suitable change to the one sentence in post #246. Is everything else acceptable? Or is it still a problem to have things coming at Valandil from all directions?
Thank you, Val. I am quite satisfied with #246 now. I wouldn't have made such a fuss out of it, and probably would have tried to settle all by PM's , if not for BB, complaining about the same thing in this thread. I had to make clear that I was exactly of the same opinion.
Thank you again.

Earinel: I knew exactly from the very beginning that Val did intend it to be the Chancellor. I couldn't have any doubts as Val confirmed it to me by PM earlier on.

Well, as I said, I am quite happy with the new reduction. Let us move on.

Val You are right, I forgot about the Governor. Will arrange a place for him.
And yes, Earniel, the Chancellor has a very competent staff, supervised by Aiwendis. Those who make blunders start to have terrible dreams at night or worse

Willow, sorry. I repeat M A H T A L I E L ... oh, my! Would you like to be nimber 10 instead?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:35 AM   #470
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Dinner table layout

Here is the last version of the layout of the Main dinner table on the dais.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...is/Dinner5.jpg

Please, note where you sit.

BB, be so kind, put it in the INFO thread.

Re: how to find your places.

Everyone may lead a lady of his choice in, of course, but then the well trained servants will lead everyone respectfully, but firmly to the assigned places.

As is the rule on official receptions, it is for the host to decide where you should sit.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:44 AM   #471
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:

Falco, on Penny's orders, flew stealthily between the shadows of the towers of the University. There had been rumours of Elven agents trying to infiltrate the University Grounds.

The falcon was now following one these elves who was on his way to the safe-house.

Justa question, I was under the impression RÃ*an, Mahtaliel and Eärniel would be the only Elves in the University, so who's this?
My idea was that these secret elven agents (Landon, Cardon, Lindon and Legolas) had been sent by Elrond to keep an eye on the Nazgûl and figure out what they are really up to.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #472
Valandil

Quote:
I'm surprised how quickly and fluidly the University personnel could provide RÃ*an with a place at the Main Table. The Chancellor must have some really able staff.
Yes - I had meant to mention that too.

Maybe they had a spot reserved for 'Earniel's guest'.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 10-16-2005, 09:55 AM   #473
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
My idea was that these secret elven agents (Landon, Cardon, Lindon and Legolas) had been sent by Elrond to keep an eye on the Nazgûl and figure out what they are really up to.
It won't work, GW, sorry. Just think, if Elrond had an inkling that Nazgul were in Tharbad, he would have

1. Surely - sent word to Val. Val is practically his foster-son, much like Aragorn.
2 Maybe sent a couple of Calaquendi Elves with a host as well

Val and Earniel What is there so surprizing that a really competent palace staff had time to count the main guests and make necessary re-arrangements at the table? They had an hour for it!
Old 10-16-2005, 09:57 AM   #474
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
But I don't think Elrond has a clue what's going on here at Tharbad - or with the Nazgul. Besides - I think he's still preoccupied with Celebrian's visit (the two will get married in just 60 years, ya know! ).

Anyway - I don't think Legolas has been born yet.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 10-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #475
Valandil

Serenoli - Welcome to Entmoot!

I see you watching our game a little... would you like to join?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 10-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #476
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
Gordis,

Thank you very much. I like working with TD. I have been trying to envision what might happen if Khamul tries to enforce his will by the right of his superior Ring. Udu is suspicious that Khamul will try to lure him into an ambush somewhere. He does not want to suffer the same fate that Lilly did, and he does not want to attract any attention from humans or elves if they should come down to a fight by magic. Of course, Udu would lose.
And I very much enjoy writing with you aswell. The plot continues to thicken between out characters.

Quote:
TD, as Gordis says, don't be a bit hesitant, in actions regarding Udu. Khamul was ruler of Rhun and Khand before he took the Ring. After the War of Last Alliance, Udu/Maethor, a Numenorean, fled east to part of Khamul's old domain, and took part of it, but not the majority of it, by any means.
Okay, I'll edit the bio when I have a spare minute.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-16-2005, 11:11 AM   #477
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Editing for Khamûl's bio is done.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #478
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
But I don't think Elrond has a clue what's going on here at Tharbad - or with the Nazgul. Besides - I think he's still preoccupied with Celebrian's visit (the two will get married in just 60 years, ya know! ).

Anyway - I don't think Legolas has been born yet.
This is not the LOTR-Legolas it's another one alltogether and still think that Elrond could send clandestine elves to the University in order to keep an eye on the Nazgûls and then have them make a move at an opportune time.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #479
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
It won't work, GW, sorry. Just think, if Elrond had an inkling that Nazgul were in Tharbad, he would have
1. Surely - sent word to Val. Val is practically his foster-son, much like Aragorn.
2 Maybe sent a couple of Calaquendi Elves with a host as well
I agree. And I doubt he would use Elven spies in a predominantly human city. Too conspicuous.

Not to mention rpg-Eärniel would be very cross with Elrond if he hadn't informed her of the situation as well. He wouldn't have left her out of the loop.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have let Valandil even stay in Tharbad if he had news that the nazgul were prancing about.

Quote:
Val and Earniel What is there so surprizing that a really competent palace staff had time to count the main guests and make necessary re-arrangements at the table? They had an hour for it!
Counting the guests and making sure there are enough seats is one thing but being able to identify and prepare for an uninvited 'high-profile' guest like RÃ*an all on their own is something special, IMO. So yes, I think you have a very capable staff. in But then again, I never went to such dinners in RL.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #480
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Serenoli - Welcome to Entmoot!

I see you watching our game a little... would you like to join?
I think your idea to invite Serenoli is a good one. Serenoli has made several clever posts in the Books forum. I have repeated your invitation, Val, in the Newbie thread HERE .

Do you approve, All?
Closed Thread