Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:43 AM   #461
Mari
Elf Lady

Doesn't the American government support students then? I get some financial assistance from the government and so do all students at a recognized institution.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #462
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

What tends to happen (at least from my jaded perspective ) is that minorities get a lot of government assistance in going to college... which makes sense in some cases. But I know a lot of hispanic students (especially here in San Antonio) who come from families much better off than my own who have their college more than paid for with scholarships.

Of course, being realistic, a lot of it is my own fault and has nothing to do with not being a minority . When I started college I had no experience with needing to keep good grades, no study skills, and very little actual high school-level studies. I had lots of college-level reading/writing experience, but no math and no science to speak of. I also thought I was stupid, and hated school with a passion because I was convinced that I could never be a music major, and that was about all I wanted. I failed a lot of courses and dropped out of a couple.

My GPA dropped really low, but with my recent hard work I bumped it back up to a 2.6... but that's still not very good .
Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #463
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Doesn't the American government support students then? I get some financial assistance from the government and so do all students at a recognized institution.
Short answer...no. Longer answer, sometimes.

As Tessar alluded to, financial assistance comes in 3 flavors.

First is "need", which is based on parents income (whether they plan to help you or you haven't seen them in years). There's not much of that, and almost none for the middle class. If you're middle class you may get access to slightly better rates for loans, as a student.

Second is merit. That covers sports ability, academic ability and performance ability, as demonstrated by whatever criteria they set. A lot of that is slush money for kids of alums, sports teams, and keeping prestige faculty happy.

Third is "in-state tuition." The states each run their own colleges, and provide support for students who want to attend. If they choose to go somewhere private, well... (they run into BJ)

Sorry, Tessar. Paying for school SUX!!!!

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #464
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh... I never knew You should come to study here then. The reason I'm going abroad for my masters is that it is easier to get a scholarship for going abroad then for doing a private study here in the Netherlands. But normal university courses are all covered by state funding. And that includes Japanese studies, beautician studies, cooking studies and perhaps also conservatoriae, but not aviation, 2nd level hotel management and higher law (the reasoning being that for those studies you can borrow the money from the government and easily repay it with the money you will earn as a pilot or hotel manager or lawyer)

But that really sucks for you then Tessar! I hope you will be able to get a job and be able to stay in school I'll be cheering for you! \(^_^)/

Old 12-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #465
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

America certainly doesn't have the best options for schooling. In places like Germany, for example, you can go for free if you qualify grade-wise. My sis just completed Med School over there, which is recognized in the States as well, and she has zero loans to repay.

There are other options as well. Loans aren't a bad option at all, if you plan to go into a field where you can expect employment, though singing is probably tough on that angle.

If that's really the direction you want to go, or at least want to try, have you considered simply taking private lessons and/or trying to find work right away?

Many kids get too obsessed with going to college right out of high school without any real idea why they want to go. Better to take a few years, follow your heart, maybe save some money, then come back to it with a better perspective on what you want out of it.

It's never to late to start college, but it is often too early.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #466
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I love you, BJ, and you mustn't take the fact that I disagree with almost everything you post about educational policy as anything but a compliment. It's just a subject dear to my heart and I never get to debate it.

I worry that people who defer college wind up with more responsibilities to manage while there. In that way, I'd say, go at 18, get a degree in anything, and THEN figure it out. I'm really cynical about the credentialing process...get a degree in whatever you have the most credits for, and then do what you want.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 12-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #467
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I definitely need to get a degree in music . I'm planning to go music education, so getting a job... hopefully... wont be too much trouble. I've loved the teaching that I've gotten to do so far, so hopefully it'll be a good job for me .

It's also a good idea for me to go to school because unless you're a pretty talented musician, it's hard to make contacts. In this way I'm making contacts with my professors (most of whom are also performing locally/state-wide), and other up-and-coming musicians while getting a good education.

Sorry BJ, but for someone in my situation it is -definitely- not better to wait! While it might be different for someone not living at home, this is the best time for me to be going to college--while I'm not having to pay rent, at least, or support myself in other ways. Plus there would be a huge fight with my parents if I chose to drop out of college for even one semester because then their insurance would no longer cover me.

Anyways... I've known for years that I wanted to do something in music. At first I just didn't think I had the talent at all, and then I had to wait a while to train to an acceptable level to get into a music program.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #468
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

That's cool too! But, if this is your chance, make the work and grades your primary concern, especially if going into education. Even if it means reducing your courseload, and maybe the "fun" stuff too a bit.

I see a lot of kids go into college when they just aren't ready yet, or go in thinking they have to learn it all in a few years. Having goals are very important, but don't be in too big of a rush to get there. Your parents will miss you when you finally do move out anyway.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #469
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
I love you, BJ, and you mustn't take the fact that I disagree with almost everything you post about educational policy as anything but a compliment. It's just a subject dear to my heart and I never get to debate it.
No worries!

I got tired of school quick myself and decided that I'd prefer to jam and get a real job at eighteen, so my view is a bit skewed.

The important thing, in my mind, is to follow your heart and remember that you can always change course at any point in life.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #470
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I don't have much fun stuff to cut out . I've already quit the two non-school choirs I've been singing in, and I don't really go to parties.

Mostly I just hang out at home, play with my dog, study, and kill some time on the internet or by writing.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #471
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

My vent.

I hate it when old people give me music.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 12-28-2007, 03:19 AM   #472
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Would that be because it's outdated, or because they're trying to be hip and cutting edge?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:24 AM   #473
katya
Elven Maiden

Sounds frightening either way....
Old 12-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #474
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Would that be because it's outdated, or because they're trying to be hip and cutting edge?
Outdated is okay...I have an issue with boring.

My ringtone is from My Chemical Romance...what would cause you to think I want a Shania Twain album?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 12-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #475
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Dear LORD!!!! O.o

If someone gave me a Shania Twain album, I would probably commit ritual seppuku, or whatever it is they call it, -RIGHT THERE-. >.<

... although a few of her songs ARE deliciously catchy. o.O
Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #476
Mari
Elf Lady

My Japanese friend just send me a short vid of their last Chorus performance... it sounded lovely and they had a great time, with a lot of laughing going on during the performance... I wish I could have been there and share in it.
*is in a melancholic and slightly sad mood* I miss singing 10 to 12 hours a week with them.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #477
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Idiots who install unsupported butcherblock countertops next to sinks.

What aspect of the natural characteristics of wood caused you to think THAT was a brilliant idea?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 01-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #478
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I'm spending too much time in the venting thread.

But.

People who are not literate in their own language should not be teaching Latin.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #479
Mari
Elf Lady

You can vent as much as you want
We don't mind, well... I don't anyway.
And might I add: people who are not literate in their own language should not teach any language or language depend course.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #480
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

How the bloody hell did I get a bloody nose from sleeping on the couch!?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Closed Thread