Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #461
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Lovely new ones, Naughty.

My good news? My sister is back on this continent. Yay!

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #462
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Now that is lovely news! I'm...happy. Yes. I think I know where my someone went.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #463
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Spring is here!

On Thursday, I saw the first Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus) and Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara).

On Friday, before I left for the owl excursion, I saw a big Pike (Esox lucius) in the ditch (it had really found the wrong place: awful ditch, and quite far from the sea) surrounded by two small males, and another true spring sign: the White Wagtail (Motacilla alba).
In the evening we went out to listen to owls, and saw and heard a few Tawny Owls (Strix aluco) and a Eurasian Eagle Owl (Bubo bubo). We also had a nice show of Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis), which was very nice..

On Saturday night, we heard and saw the Ural Owl (Strix uralensis), the Eurasian Pygmy Owl (Glaucidium passerinum) and the Goldcrest (Regulus regulus).

And today, among others, the Redwing (Turdus iliacus) and the Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major).

So, to conclude: spring is here!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 04-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #464
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

So, I just discovered that the reason I always sound muddy when I speak and when I sing in english is that I DON'T USE MY FREAKING LIPS. >.<

I was listening to a recording of myself speaking some stuff I'm trying to memorize, and it suddenly popped into my head, "MAN, this guy needs to use his lips when he annunciates..."

So I rerecorded myself trying to use my lips more, and lo and behold, my voice cleared up a LOT. For some reason, mainly I think because I'm still getting over trying to speak as quickly as possible at all times, I just learned to freeze my lips when I speak... so now I'm fixing that.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #465
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
So, I just discovered that the reason I always sound muddy when I speak and when I sing in english is that I DON'T USE MY FREAKING LIPS. >.<

I was listening to a recording of myself speaking some stuff I'm trying to memorize, and it suddenly popped into my head, "MAN, this guy needs to use his lips when he annunciates..."

So I rerecorded myself trying to use my lips more, and lo and behold, my voice cleared up a LOT. For some reason, mainly I think because I'm still getting over trying to speak as quickly as possible at all times, I just learned to freeze my lips when I speak... so now I'm fixing that.
You know, Tessar, we don't seem to be online at the same time much any more, and I miss that. But I really enjoy reading the updates on your voice progress. It's exciting.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #466
katya
Elven Maiden

I made Kool-aid! Only it's really old and also sugar-free and it kind of tastes funny. But I got to bust out of the matching pitcher and Kool-aid cups! Yay! It's all so bright and spring-like.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #467
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Cool! A lung-less frog found! Aaand it's habitat is already disappearing. Figures. Still, very cool discovery.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #468
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Happiness! I may have to go to class today, but it's Sunny and Warm!

(this is something special in Northern Ireland)

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #469
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Cool! A lung-less frog found! Aaand it's habitat is already disappearing. Figures. Still, very cool discovery.
Cool, cool, cool! Not the habitat disappearing-part, but you know..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #470
katya
Elven Maiden

I am proud of myself today. I was so tired this morning I could barely roll myself out of bed for class at 10, but I've been working on things all day and I've gotten tons done already. I'll be caught up on my homework in no time. There's still more to come too. I have class at 6 and afterwards I'll be meeting with some classmates for a fun project. I like getting into "oh my god do homework until forever mode". It's kind of a rush.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #471
Nerdanel

It's funny how getting up at 5am is so much easier than getting up at 8.. or maybe it's just the awareness that there's something nice happening. I'm taking a course called 'the ecology of owls' which involves two trips to the course leader's study population of ural owl (Strix uralensis). Today is one. I'll get to see owls closer than ever before! Too bad about the rain.. >.<

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #472
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I find that it's easier to get up if I have had around 4 hours of sleep or less, and then really hard until I get to 7.5 or 8. But it's also easy when there's something that simply MUST be done, or something fun.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #473
Nerdanel

Happy: Flogging Molly are coming to Helsinki, and I got tickets for their gig! It's perfectly timed right after my book exam, too. Whee!

And, I had a great day in the forest today. Saw beautiful birds, learnt things about their ecology and walked around in nice forests. Not bad at all.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #474
katya
Elven Maiden

Happy: yum yum!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #475
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
You know, Tessar, we don't seem to be online at the same time much any more, and I miss that. But I really enjoy reading the updates on your voice progress. It's exciting.
<.< love you.

>.>

I had another breakthrough today, mostly prompted by sheer exhaustion. I was completely exhausted by the time I got to my voice lesson this afternoon, and so in trying to warm up before going in, I was having to do all kinds of crazy things to get my energy up.

Then I just sort of had this weird breakthrough when I was breathing in to start a phrase, and I improved my breath support. O.o Yeah, just a little lightbulb, and it improved my support. I can sing longer phrases, can get up into my middle voice more easily, and despite my exhaustion I was able to turn it on and I sang better in my lesson than ever before.

So given a little sleep and some time to solidify the breakthrough, it'll be great!

My teacher said that as soon as the competition is done this weekend, she wants to hit the technique work hard. I couldn't agree more. I said at the end of the lesson that I want to really work on solidifying my technique through my upper chest/middle/lower-head registers because... I have them, and I do 'em right some times, but other times it just doesn't click perfectly. So she just nodded and said she wanted to start some really hard-core scale work to polish up my technique once the competition is over.

This is so exciting! I'm singing notes in my songs that I could barely vocalize to before last semester, and last semester I was just tapping them. Now I'm sustaining them and sailing above them. Really makes up for a lot of the other stress and frustration I'm having to deal with right now... steady practice is yielding good results.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #476
Mari
Elf Lady

Yay for Tessar! ^_^
Happy because I'm finally back and got over my initial upsetness over the 10,5 hour delay.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 04-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #477
Mari
Elf Lady

Whiee~h! Another person told me I looked pretty today without me having to ask how I look and without that person being family
That makes 4 compliments, which must be a new record. Teehee~ I feel pretty today

AND I finished reading up on everything and got back on track with schoolwork. Me is happyzzz yes me is. And off course I'm very happy to be back here.
I shall start uploading piccies tonight perhaps I think.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #478
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post

And thus, another Vivica Genaux is born...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #479
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm about 4 kgs off from reaching normal weight on the BMI.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:05 AM   #480
Nerdanel

Field station, here I come! Bye-bye, damned city..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Closed Thread