Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 08:21 PM   #441
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
peter pan and master and commander both good movies
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 05-12-2004, 06:58 AM   #442
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
You lot are a bunch of heathens. Especially you Gimli. How could you possibly not think much of Lost in Translation, and then admit to liking League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?? *points accusing finger*
bit rich coming from the person who didnt like the Last Samurai
oooh got it on dvd and its soooo good, there is a deleted scene where Ujio is confronted by some pompous Japanese ****s in tophats, trying to tease him and not being respectful, well Ujio tries to ignore it and keep walking but one of them has the audacity to lift his cane and obstruct Ujio's way, and Ujio responds in great fashion by calmly removing his head... once again WOOOOO! UJIO
the other deleted scene shows some more cool boken fighting this time with Katsumoto, who tells Algren that there is no honor in killing from 500 yards

Last edited by Millane : 05-12-2004 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:09 AM   #443
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
bit rich coming from the person who didnt like the Last Samurai
That would be because it was a piece of Hollywood crap that grossly misrepresented history.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:38 AM   #444
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by b.banner
peter pan and master and commander both good movies
I saw Peter Pan too. I was very surprised. 'I DO believe in fairies!'

Of course the whole thing was ruined by the executive producer credit...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #445
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i just saw a movie called the importance of being ernest with colin firth
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 05-12-2004, 12:07 PM   #446
Janny
The Blobbit

I saw that too, thought it was excellent!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:40 PM   #447
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by b.banner
i just saw a movie called the importance of being ernest with colin firth
wonderful wonderful wonderful wonderful!

I just watched "A Wrinkle in Time."

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:20 AM   #448
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Saw Peter Pan and Master and Commander, too.

M&C was great. I loved all the technical stuff (counting off the knots, all the sailing jargon0 cool!). Another thing I thought was neat about it was the relationships it focused on. It was not about lovers, it was not about a father and son. It was about the friendship of two men, which I thought was really neat, because movies usually don't focus on guy friendships unless it's in the context of Pearl Harbor (), with both guys falling in love with the same girl. This was much more interesting.

Peter Pan..... Hm. Difficult to say. I like all of the dialogue that they kept from the book. I don't know how much of say... the Black Castle (WHA..?!) or the deal with Mr. Darling's 'small talk' (ugh) was out of the original script- for I've never read it. However, I do not think it was a good adaption of the book. Not at all. I had high expectations for Jason Issacs as Hook, but they screwed up the roll so much his talent really couldn't be proved. The deal with Hook flying was rediculous, his death stupid, the thing with Pan falling in love is PREPOSTEROUS (!!!), and the mermaids were officially gross. I missed the presence of the Indians, thought Tiger Lily was less than impressive (an over-statement, I assure you), the kiss thing way out of proportion, and Tinker Bell (if she is even worthy to be called that name) absolutely stupid, and any other adjective of the same meaning. Much to teeny-bopperish. Terrible. And the fact that the whole 'I do believe in fairies, I do, I do' thing took longer than the fight at the Black Castle (ugh again) was.... dumb. The music was nice, from a music standpoint only. It didn't fit with Neverland, though. And, to top of my 'raving review'- the crockadile was totally unconvinceing and stupid.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 05-13-2004, 11:23 AM   #449
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Saw Peter Pan and Master and Commander, too.

M&C was great. I loved all the technical stuff (counting off the knots, all the sailing jargon0 cool!). Another thing I thought was neat about it was the relationships it focused on. It was not about lovers, it was not about a father and son. It was about the friendship of two men, which I thought was really neat, because movies usually don't focus on guy friendships unless it's in the context of Pearl Harbor (), with both guys falling in love with the same girl. This was much more interesting.

Peter Pan..... Hm. Difficult to say. I like all of the dialogue that they kept from the book. I don't know how much of say... the Black Castle (WHA..?!) or the deal with Mr. Darling's 'small talk' (ugh) was out of the original script- for I've never read it. However, I do not think it was a good adaption of the book. Not at all. I had high expectations for Jason Issacs as Hook, but they screwed up the roll so much his talent really couldn't be proved. The deal with Hook flying was rediculous, his death stupid, the thing with Pan falling in love is PREPOSTEROUS (!!!), and the mermaids were officially gross. I missed the presence of the Indians, thought Tiger Lily was less than impressive (an over-statement, I assure you), the kiss thing way out of proportion, and Tinker Bell (if she is even worthy to be called that name) absolutely stupid, and any other adjective of the same meaning. Much to teeny-bopperish. Terrible. And the fact that the whole 'I do believe in fairies, I do, I do' thing took longer than the fight at the Black Castle (ugh again) was.... dumb. The music was nice, from a music standpoint only. It didn't fit with Neverland, though. And, to top off my 'raving review'- the crockadile was totally unconvincing and stupid.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:29 PM   #450
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Gotta stick up for Lost in Translation here. Such a great, simple film. It worked on loads of levels at the same time: language, relationships, settings, life stories, physical closeness (or lack of it), the arrangement of bodies on the screen, reflections in the elevator doors. A feast.

I just saw the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Jolly good fun. Jim Carrey was surprisingly good in a straight role, as was Kate Winslet, though I couldn't take Elijah Wood seriously as Not-Frodo.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #451
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Gotta stick up for Lost in Translation here. Such a great, simple film. It worked on loads of levels at the same time: language, relationships, settings, life stories, physical closeness (or lack of it), the arrangement of bodies on the screen, reflections in the elevator doors. A feast.
*hugs Gaffer for having insanely good taste* Indeed! *raises beer to toast*

Oh, I forgot! 50 first dates had Sean Astin hoped up on steroids. Hysterical!

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-13-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:30 PM   #452
Mercutio

umm...the first harry potter movie (sorceror's stone?)

Just reminds me of how entertaining/fun they are. But only as light entertainment.

And Daniel Radcliffe (?) is getting too old for harry potter. He was in the same range when they started, but hit that point where there is a big difference between 13 and 15/16 whatever he is. Oh well.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:42 PM   #453
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
Lost in Translation IS a good movie.

D'ya know what pissed me off? That LOTR won best song. I saw both Triplets of Bellville and A Mighty Wind and ALL the songs in both movies were better than ANY songs from Lotr.

You can't even SING any Lotr songs (with the exception of Eowyn's funeral dirge, which was awesome, but not why lotr won and that still pisses me off).

I'm going to see Van Helsing tonight.

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Old 05-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #454
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
*hugs Gaffer for having insanely good taste* Indeed! *raises beer to toast*
Yay for the both of you!
*Cries subtle tears for agree with The Gaffer on something *

Old 05-14-2004, 09:53 AM   #455
b.banner
Elf Lord

i just saw big fish really good movie!one of the best movies i have seen lately!

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 05-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #456
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I saw 'Blow Up' for the first time the other day. Quite suprised that I've never watched it before. It was a okay film that delt with technilogical and experimental techniques that film makers were starting to introduce in the 60's. Some strange sequences but I supose it was cool.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 05-14-2004, 09:45 PM   #457
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I saw Secret Window starring Johnny Depp a few weeks ago. It's adapted from a Steven King novel, so you know it's going to be weird. It was good, though not as good as Misery. And Johnny Depp was in it, which makes it even more enjoyable.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:44 AM   #458
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I saw Secret Window starring Johnny Depp a few weeks ago. It's adapted from a Steven King novel, so you know it's going to be weird. It was good, though not as good as Misery. And Johnny Depp was in it, which makes it even more enjoyable.
ohhh lucky you, it also had Dillon didnt it Charles S Dutton?, he's the big black guy that plays Dillon in Aliens 3, "lure the ****ing beast into the mould" "God will take care of you now, Sister" "Is that as hard as you bite mother****er" he is so cool, and he's killed a man before, such a classy actor
I did go see Troy on thursday and i dont really have that much to say, Hector was the best, i just love Eric Bana. It was a bit of a let down with such a great cast (like 3 of the coolest guys out of Braveheart - Williams Uncle Argyle, Hamish (also Frank and Monk) and Hamish's dad) and when the director said he wanted to have the most brutal battles ever commited to film i nearly wet my pants, but yes he was wrong
Old 05-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #459
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I've just seen Junior with The Governator
Old 05-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #460
Pirate
Enting

I saw Dead Man the other day. It was WIERD but very good. Johnny Depp is so young in it. He's such an increadable actor. I also saw Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels the other day. It was great, better then Snatch I think.
Closed Thread