Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #441
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĂ*an
I don't think he thinks those things, and I've read the same posts that you have. Since you think he thinks a certain way, and I think he thinks a certain way, and what you think he thinks doesn't match what I think he thinks, then one of us (or both of us) is/are wrong, so I think we should let inked say what he thinks he thinks, don't you think so?
*dizzy* I think you think too much.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 09-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #442
RĂ­an
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:40 PM   #443
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Please provide quotes where inked says the things IRex says he said, and please provide scientific proof that IRex can read inked's mind.
I would take that as a priori
Quote:
Being of African origin is not a behavior.
Being gay is??? Oh, yes, I forgot, it's OK to be gay as long as you don't indulge in any of those those pesky behaviours.
Quote:
Where are you getting that someone said gays are a burden on us?
Here for example.
Quote:
And if there is a gay man standing next to me, then I"ll encourage HIM to vote for what HE thinks is best for society. But would he do that for me? Would you? Who's the more liberal here, anyway?

I think you are confusing the "conservative-liberal" spectrum with the "supine-argumentative" one. If the gay man was voting to ban religion, my guess is that you would be a wee bit more vocal in your objections.
Quote:
And if you define "liberal" as removing restrictions, then why stop at homosexual marriage? Why not remove ALL restrictions? The simple reason is that YOU have YOUR opinions on what you think is right, and so do I.
Ah, yes, it's all relative.

Quote:
I'm not homophobic, but it seems like some here are dataphobic, if it doesn't support their opinion.
I don't think you are, though some of your views are similar to those of homophobes, hence I guess you find yourself sharing a platform with them from time to time. Would you discourage homophobia amongst such people?

No-one here is dataphobic (nice word!), either. They are, however, rampant contextuophiles.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #444
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

This is a very telling first person narrative from a gay man who spent the first 35 years of his life tortured by his sexual persuasion because of how his family, his culture, and his religion were in direct conflict with what he felt was his undeniable identity. I think this account shows well that being gay in an intolerant culture can be severely crippling to ones emotional and psychological development and stability.

Since most articles posted in here are mostly biased screeds on the health consequences of the “gay lifestyle” I felt it would be useful to show the other side of the coin for once so that the misconception of uncaring in your face gay promiscuity and emotionless unsafe liaisons - which according to some define being gay - can begin to be countered by direct accounts of gay people suffering horribly by trying to pretend they are something they aren’t because of the pressures of the religion and culture they were born into. Clearly this shows you cant force someone into a box in which they don’t fit simply because you are comfortable with that box yourself. Because when you do you can cause damage as noted below… and this would seem to speak volumes to the dubiousness of the whole “design” concept if you ask me…Why design a person to be damaged when attempting to adhere to the “norm” as dictated by a religion or by a culture?

Quote:
A Journey Toward Acceptance and Love

by Greg Chapman

October 3, 2005 · What do I believe? That the stories I tell myself shape my truth, my soul and my life. I was raised to be a good Baptist and to be a patriotic American. I was raised to believe Catholics were idol-worshippers, liberals were communists and that black and white never mixed. God filled the background, ready to condemn me into Hell. God saw everything bad about me, knew every wayward thought. I was born with original sin -- I had no chance. At the same time, being a white American provided me a sense of privilege, of being one of the "better" people.

As I grew older, I began to struggle with my sexuality. Every day I battled against demons driving me to impurity. I resisted and then I would succumb to unholy thought. I came to believe that I was an abomination, a thing hated by God. In search of a wife, I tried a dating service. Defeated, I waited for someone to take pity and love me. The idea of faking who I was to satisfy others turned my stomach. I came to believe that if I punished myself enough that God would show mercy and cure me of my wrongness.

I drove myself deep into depression. I remember my Bible group talking about how they kicked someone out for refusing to stop being gay. My blood chilled and my heart hiccupped. I remember my family asking me what was wrong with me. Why wasn't I dating? My sense of being less than fully human festered. I stopped going to church. I gave up on ever being loved. By age 35, I had no more than a few hugs as the lifetime sum of my physical intimacy. My skin cried in deprivation. I had no hope except that one day things might improve if I endured. And then they did.

I started to change the basic stories of my life: that I'm bad, alienated from God, a freak of nature. I started to love myself and to believe the Divine did so as well. As that belief strengthened through the repetition of story, I began to love others and I was loved back. The racism I grew up with faded. The more I loved myself, the more beauty I saw in everyone else. The more I healed, the more I viewed the Bible and all of our great myths as stories told by others, and I looked more and more to my heart to find the right one for me.

In six months, I joined with my life partner of five years and counting, became an Episcopalian, and replanted my political beliefs. And this I believe: the right story is the one that helps me to love myself the most, to create the most, to love others and to support them in their creations. For it is for those awesome experiences that I believe we are here. So I'm gay. And now, after decades of struggle, I tell a good story about it.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #445
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

BTW, I love the word "screed"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
this would seem to speak volumes to the dubiousness of the whole “design” concept if you ask me…Why design a person to be damaged when attempting to adhere to the “norm” as dictated by a religion or by a culture?
EXACTLY!!!!!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-04-2005, 03:37 PM   #446
inked
Elf Lord

Weel, wha' abou' tha screeds of homosexuals wha ha' lef' tha lifestyle:

http://exodus.to/testimonials_left_HomoSexuality.shtml

and

http://www.couragerc.net/index.html

Or does your screed only count if it's the politically correct one?

Data show that re-orientation occurs in > or = to 30% of individuals who self-identify as homosexual with psychiatric intervention.

The most damage is done to the most people by stating untruths about the nature of choices of behaviour and the consequences of the same.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 10-04-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:39 PM   #447
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

see... i told you he's an instigator!

just answering questions?!?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #448
inked
Elf Lord

Who's instigating whom?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #449
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

to inked, in re. #446, 3 posts up: What? English, please.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #450
inked
Elf Lord

Try Scotty's pronunciations from the real Star Trek~ !
Old 10-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #451
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

Ohhhh. Riiiight.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #452
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I don't think this is the right thread for this, but it might be for the people visiting this thread..

When the wish most compulsory school students (in Finland) have is to be normal, it has to mean that they aren't. That must mean most of them aren't normal. Can that be true? Or do we have a wrong idea of what is normal?

I believe that in some ways, we all have our own special characteristics, that in the end makes us all different. To make people understand that might help them (us) accept other differences.

Are you normal?

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 10-04-2005, 04:01 PM   #453
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
The most damage is done to the most people by stating untruths about the nature of choices of behaviour and the consequences of the same.
Right. Because thats what the religious right tends to do when it comes to homosexuality. Insist its a choice and that they need to change it because they need to be normal like everyone else. Yes you are correct thats very damaging...

As for the homosexual "conversion" programs you site, people will need to note that they consider agreeing to be celibate as "curing" someone of homosexuality when its nothing of the kind. In fact most studies have found that the percentage of individuals who actually state they no longer feel any homosexual feelings and instead desire the opposite sex after this “curing” program is nearly 0%. Meanwhile countless gays like the guy above are lost in the cracks of an intolerant rigid culture in which their very nature is considered an abomination. How bout giving us some programs to "cure" people of being left handed or "cure" people of being non-white skinned while yer at it too. Probably just about as easy…

Old 10-04-2005, 04:03 PM   #454
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
Are you normal?
Im Abby Normal.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #455
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

I am not, nor ever will be, "normal," and it is my fervent hope for myself that I never even get CLOSE to being "normal." Normalcy is conformity. Blech.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #456
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

Let's get some programs out there to "cure" people of narrow-mindedness, "cure" them of religious dogma and the compulsion to denigrate those who do not or will not "convert".

Old 10-04-2005, 04:16 PM   #457
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
I believe that in some ways, we all have our own special characteristics, that in the end makes us all different. To make people understand that might help them (us) accept other differences.
exactly!

it's the fear of the different... something as old as mankind itself... it is hard to overcome, but it's what can seperate man from animal
Old 10-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #458
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I am not, nor ever will be, "normal," and it is my fervent hope for myself that I never even get CLOSE to being "normal." Normalcy is conformity. Blech.
It's abnormal to be normal, so to say.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 10-04-2005, 04:22 PM   #459
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
exactly!

it's the fear of the different... something as old as mankind itself... it is hard to overcome, but it's what can seperate man from animal
It maybe could separate man from animal.. But it hasn't yet, now has it?

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 10-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #460
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

Animals are not separated from us by the fear of the different. Crippled or albino or "different" animals are constantly being picked on by their peers. Has anyone seen "The Story of the Weeping Camel," where the momma camel had a hard time learning to accept & love her baby who was born a rare white camel? Stuff like that.

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-04-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Closed Thread