Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #441
katya
Elven Maiden

I got the best work assignment yet! A whole bunch of teachers have these meeting workshop things they have to go to, so I get to be the Japanese teacher at the high school for two whole days in a row! See, with me, I usually get only one day at a time, if could be a half-day, it could be at middle school or elementary (and I prefer high school the most), and it could be any subject (even special-ed if I'm very desperate). So my three consecutive days as an English teacher last week were awesome, but two days as a Japanese teacher is ever cooler. I can't wait. <3

Edit: Oh yeah, and Pumpkin Spice Lattes are back at Starbucks!!!!!! It's autumn!!!

Last edited by katya : 09-09-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #442
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh coolness! Congrats ^_^
How's your Japanese keeping up? Hope you're not subject to attrition?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #443
katya
Elven Maiden

I've been studying some. I try to study language during downtime at work, like when the students are working on something quietly or taking a test or something. I've been making flashcards (for both Russian and Japanese) and studying them. Not so much flashcards, but notecards with lots of vocabulary and grammar notes on them. It's funny because the Russian ones have really basic grammar and translations/headings in English, and the Japanese ones are whole paragraphs in Japanese with the new vocabulary defined in simpler Japanese on the back. It's quite a difference. The paragraphs I got are from my electronic dictionary- there are article things in there on nutrition, and I've been learning all the vocab from the one about foods that are good against stress. I can learn about health and language at the same time!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #444
Mari
Elf Lady

o_O Even after 4 years of study, I think you might be much better at Japanese than I am...
It's great that you want to put so much time in it! *is in admiration*

Old 09-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #445
katya
Elven Maiden

You've had 4 years of study? I've had 3 proper years of study at school, and then 3 more years in between that of studying on my own, off and on. Your English is a hell of a lot better than my Japanese though.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #446
Mari
Elf Lady

Ah, but I studied English since I was 12. Japanese was just the 3+1 years of undergraduate University. Still, with a degree in it, I should be better at it... (Actually, I shouldn't exaggerate. I'm quite good when it comes to speaking, it's just the rest I suck at )

Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #447
Mari
Elf Lady

FIRST DRIVER'S LESSON! NEXT WEEK FRIDAY! AAAAAH!!!
Oh my gosh, I never wanted it, but then I thought this would probably my last chance to do it at my leisure, so I'd better do it and now I'm going to do it! *is hesitating between freaking out completely or being insanely happy about it, resulting in undetermined, bunny-like jumping up and down*

Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #448
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Dude, Hubble's new pictures are totally mindblowingly awesome!

*waves her little 'Go Hubble!' flag*

Good luck, Mari.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #449
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It's not everyday one gets to attend the opening of a national park...

I took a few days off to see a magnificent inaugural of Sweden's first maritime national park. And what made it all so much cooler is the fact that my family's summer cabin is situated on an island right in the middle of it. I've spent every summer there, where I have so many childhood memories. I know the archipelago so well and it's just fantastic that it has now achieved the status of being a national park. That means the region will be preserved for future generations!

The opening ceremony was held on a beach a stone's throw from our cabin. Except for me and the locals, there were many distinguished guests attending. These included the king of Sweden, the county governor and most of the EU's ministers of environment. From Norway came the crown prince on board the full rigged tall ship Christian Radich, to attend another ceremony later in the nearby city. The Swedish king also set sail toward the city aboard the East Indiaman Götheborg. Oh, I love tall ships. I went to see the ceremony in the city as well.

The essence of it all is this - I'm happy because my childhood paradise is now a national park and I was there to witness the event
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #450
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

MY BROTHER BEAT HIS CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I so happy!!!!!!!!!

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 09-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #451
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

WOW!!! That is so fantasticly wonderful!!!!! Congratulations to him!

I'm sure your whole family must be in high celebration mode right now. I'm so happy for you all!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #452
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

That's great news, Acalewia! I'm happy for you and your family!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 09-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #453
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That is WONDERFUL!!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:48 AM   #454
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

That's wonderful news, Acalewia!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #455
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh my gosh, that's wonderful! *throws confetti*

Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #456
Jonathan

Sweet Acalewia

If I may ask, was it testicular cancer?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #457
katya
Elven Maiden

This is kind of a minor happy, but I got a new keyboard for my netbook. It has an Enter key and a left Shift key and everything! It feels a little tiny bit better than the old one too, I'd say. Now I can work on my stories in comfort. (^-^) Before I had to just press down on the little button thing in the middle part where the keys used to be. It was really annoying.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #458
Jonathan

I've got a similar thing to be happy about. No longer will I have to stand the insufferable, near epilepsy-provoking flickering of my old computer screen. Yesterday my new laptop was delivered.

If I had any stories to work on, I could do so in comfort too and actually distinguish the letters on the screen
Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #459
katya
Elven Maiden

Oooh nice! I have to work on some flickering too, but not the screen. Just the lights in the basement. Luckily, I don't spend much time down there anymore anyway. I'm in a comfy chair in the library now, tired out from a looong bike ride and not feeling like I have enough energy for the ride home. Newly discovered awesome trail along the river is my other happiness today though!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #460
katya
Elven Maiden

Ah, wow, sorry to double post but... I'm going to this! On my birthday! http://www.ffdistantworlds.com/ Nobuo Uematsu is going to be there performing and everything!! I already bought the tickets. :] There always seem to be concerts on my birthday that I really want to go to.
Closed Thread