Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #441
Midge
Faithful Gardener

As Aerin thought about Magor's words, he started. "I forgot to get a mug and a pie! I'll be right back." He made to get up and go inside, but Aerin stopped him.

"I would say right now that you shouldn't go in there. Nami (another of my friends) looked so shocked at what you did, I wouldn't be surprised if you came back out with no hands or no head! And I certainly don't want you encouraging Hedrim to fight again, as amusing as you would no doubt find that!" Aerin snapped her head around, her long braid just missing Magor's face as she marched inside the pub again, forgetting to ask what kind of pie he wanted.

As soon as she got inside, she looked over to Hedrim and Borin. They were still sitting at the card table, but it didn't look like it had come to blows yet. She went up to the man at the bar and said, "I would like a mug of something and a sort of meat pie. Whatever Magor usually orders in here." The barman acknowledged and got to work on the order. Aerin hurried over to Nami and Quickleaf at their table and sat down.

"I am so sorry about that. I don't know who that man thinks he is. He's sold me a horse so I don't have to walk the rest of the journey. I think he guesses that we're on a quest of some kind and wishes to join us. After his little display of mediating, I'm not so sure, but he seems like he has some wisdom of some sort to me. I know I do not have the power to tell him yes, but I thought there is quite a chance of him joining us.. after all, you did not turn me away and you had no reason to accept my help."

Nami looked at Aerin skeptically. Aerin noticed.

"What?"
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 09-12-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #442
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami glared at the window where she could just see this man, Magor's head. "Just what we need, another hot headed man who just wants fights and glory. As if we dont have enough of them! What with Abasi and him trying to kill each other," Nami jabbed a finger in Quickleafs direction, "I wish Ragarast would back." Nami stabbed at her pie and then pushed it away, keeping a wary eye on the card game, suddenly not very hungry.

Still looked over at the game Nami spoke again, "So you brought a horse, invited him to an inn and brought the man a pie?" Nami returned her gase back to the their table, giving Aerin a questioning look.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #443
Midge
Faithful Gardener

"Uhm, no.. not exactly. I bought a horse, he dragged ME to the inn (I don't hold much with drinking and didn't really even want to come in here with a whole bunch of probably very drunk men), and am buying the man a pie because I didn't want ... you to kill him for what he said. I didn't think it would be good for me to have his blood on my hands.

"There's something about that man.... But I don't know what it is." The barman held up the mug and the pie, signifying that it was ready. "I'll be back. Magor will be eating outside with the horses. That much I can promise."

She took the pie and the ale out to the trouble-making man who sat quietly talking to his horses, and hers. She handed him the food and drink and said, "My companions can take care of themselves, certainly. But I, and some others in my company, would like that effort used on real enemies, not mere vagabonds. I did think better of Hedrim than cheating."

With his mouth full, Magor looked up at her. "Has he proven himself yet?"
"No, he hasn't. You OVERestimated him." With that, Aerin turned and went back inside to Nami and Quickleaf, who seemed like much better company than this obstinate man right now.

"What should we do if it does come to fighting, Nami? What will YOU do?" Aerin could fight when she needed to, but she didn't want to need to in this case.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 09-12-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #444
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami laughed a little too loudly when Aerin had said that she didn't want Nami to kill this man. A bright smile light her face for a second before she realised heads had turned to look at her, then she looked sheepishly at the table.

Nami followed Aerins progress out of the inn back to the man. As Aerin returned Nami was sitting biting her nail again adsentmindedly as she thought their sitution over. She looked up sharply at Aerins question.

"What will i do? If it comes to fighting, which thanks to your new friend looks like it might, i will fight by my fellows side." Nami smiled as she gently jabbed Quickleaf in the ribs, "Someones got to stop this one from swinging his sword at the wrong heads. Not that swords are really used in bar fights, more like stool legs and ale jugs!" Nami looked back over at Aerin a serous look on her face, "And what will YOU do?"
Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #445
Midge
Faithful Gardener

"It is dishonorable and undignified to fight with barstools and ale-jugs, in my opinion. If my fellows need help, they will receive it from me using my sword. I do not use fists; I am an Elf-woman. I do not wish to hurt or even threaten any drunk man with a sword, though. I only want fighting to not happen.

"It is rather warm outside. Can I have your solemn promise not to kill my new acquaintance who has stirred up the bitter stew over at the card-game table, Nami, Quickleaf? If so, I will have pity on the man and invite him in to eat with us."

Old 09-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #446
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami hmpt'ed. If she's an elf woman want does that make me?, thought Nami, contradicting little holyer than thou so and so.

Nami narrowed her eyes at the figure in the window, then turned back to Aerin, waving her hand as if dismissing the comment, "Do as you wish my lady." You normally do! Nami picked up her drink and stared into its dark depths.

Last edited by feawen : 09-12-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #447
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"King of the West, eh?" The cardplayer answered Quickleaf with a sneer, after having looked the Elf over and deciding his blindness made him harmless enough.

"If that's a king, I'm the queen-mother of Umbar. Doesn't 'e have enough treasure in his castle that he needs to steal it from us, hard-working folk?"

The man spit on the ground to show his contempt. " Oh, Magor may be awfully quick to suggest battle between other men. But we both know it ain't gonna be a fair fight, would it, not with his shiny armour and bejeweled tooth-pick. Hmph, as if a fight is going to prove he's no cheater."

The other cardplayers muttered words of agreement and resentment. The atmosphere was turning somewhat more grim. A few of the other guests decided that maybe another day, any day but today, would be better to visit the tavern.

Visibly boldened by the support he got, the cardplayer turned to Quickleaf again. "No, I'll tell you what choices you lot have," He said, as he thumped a finger into Quickleaf's chest. "You collect your cheating good fer nothin' Wimp of the West here, get the blazes out of our town, and dump him in his fancy castle with his prancing ninnies, where 'e belongs. Now get out, sunshine."
Old 09-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #448
Midge
Faithful Gardener

At Nami's strange gesture, Aerin got up from the table to go fetch Magor.

Once outside, she glared at him. "I may have overreacted earlier; come inside. It's too hot here to just sit, with only ale to keep you company. Please do NOT encourage a fight, is all we ask." She beckoned to him and he stood up, picked up his half-eaten pie and empty mug and followed her back into the pub.

They sat down at the table with the other two of Aerin's companions. "So," Magor began congenially, "What's your names and how do you do?"

Old 09-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #449
orithil
Captain Jack

"You speak boldly for a peasent" Hedrim smiled, then with a swift movement kicked the chair out from under him stood up and drew his sword with it pointed at the mans head.

"Go on" Hedrim encouraged "make one move and I'll kill you where you stand...and as for the rest of you that doudt my kingship...well how lucky are you..." he sneered and he glanced around the tavern"

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.

Last edited by orithil : 09-12-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:36 AM   #450
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quickleaf had two choices. Or at least it was so that it appeared to him. He could sit down by the round-table and simply ignore the punching finger of the man currently facing him. Or he could draw blade. Yet what made him make up his mind wasn't so much that he disliked being threatened, but that the man was disrupting his meal and at that making the bitter taste endure on his tongue, of the candle-wax he'd mistakingly eaten earlier.

"Unfortunate business Hedrim!" Quickleaf spoke maliciously, grabbing his sword and jamming the hilt hard into the man's stomach.

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 09-13-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:01 AM   #451
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami glared at the man as he sat down, "My name is Nami and that hot head over there is Quickleaf." She opened her month to say something further when a call of pain filled the air as Quickleafs hilt connected with the mans stomach. Turning sharply she glared at Quickleaf, "What did you go and do that for?" But her words were lost as choes erupted in the bar. Quickleafs hit had been all it had taken to set the fight off. Nami skiped out of the way as one of the gamers charged at her, missing her and colloiding with the table behind her. Nami backed towards the wall, finding Aerin and Magor, giving him a look that said this is your fault.
Nami scanned the bar for her fellows. Just ducking in time for a flying ale jug to miss her head and connect with the wall behind her, sending pottery and ale showering over her head. Nami sighed as she shock her head and tried to get the bits out of her hair. "Great, now i smell like an ale house."
Old 09-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #452
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim smiled as the man doubled over. He swung around and blocked a chair with his sword then countered by bringing his foot down on the mans knee and breaking his leg. Other bar patrons were now drawing make shift weapons, "oh good, a reason to kill them" Hedrim muttered to himself. He ran towards the first man wielding two small wood axes, the man swung at Hedrim, he dodged the first one and blocked the second with his guard, he then countered by swinging his sword and cut the man along the chest, he fell to the ground...not dead yet. Hedrim waded into the fray and began to continue the combat(Trying to avoid killing)

Old 09-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #453
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine quickly backstepped to avoid the gamers and various mugs being thrown and promptly backed into Magor. She turned expecting to see one of the tavern's patrons.
"Magor?" she asked. "I'd ask what you're doing here, but I'd have to explain why I'm here," Aelfwine looked past him at Nami.
"Which one started it? Quickleaf or Hedrim?"

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #454
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis was decidedly exasperated. Was it too much to ask to be able to nurse a well brewed pint in peace? Males!
Simlutaneously downing the last mouthful of beer and sidestepping a candle going past at eye-level Haldis surveyed the fight. It was a good bar fight, she had to admit. Not quite up to beorning standards, but as chaotic as one could expect from men confined to one shape. The locals were making creative usage of seating and utensiles to bludgeoning and missile effect and her companions (who really had been asking for it, Hedrim should have been more subtle) were holding their own, though she couldn't help but disapprove of their using their weapons, even if they had kept their swords sheathed so far. That really was cheating.
No help for it then. It was too crowded to even think about making it outside and somebody had to uphold the (dis) honour of their band of travelers.
Haldis rolled up her sleeves, kilted her skirts and fists ready stepped into the brawl.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #455
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim sheathed his sword, he didn't want to be arrested for murder. He grabbed one man by the back of the neck and slammed his head on the table.

He then felt a chair break against his back, even wearing armour he felt it. He spun around and hit the man with a left then a right cross and sent him tumbling to the ground.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #456
Midge
Faithful Gardener

As Nami began her introductions, the fight broke out.

"Oh, no!" cried Aerin, watching the barman's lovely crockeries break over Nami's head. The smell of ale was overwhelming now that it began to be everywhere. Just then, Aelfwine walked in and recognized Magor.

"Hello, Aelf," he said, pleasantly smiling in contrast to the chaos around them. "I'd love to join in the fight, as I'm guessing you're going to do soon, but that little lady," he pointed at Aerin, "prefers me to keep my nose out of it. She doesn't realize I'd be fighting on her side."

He turned and faced Aerin, pausing to watch an older woman hike up her skirts and join in the fray. "What about it, then? Am I going to be allowed to help your king and your blind elf?"

Aerin started, realizing that Quickleaf was in the midst of the war. "Make me out to be the villain. Do me a favor. Go and make sure Quickleaf doesn't kill himself, or at least make sure he's beating on the correct men. I suppose you wouldn't be able to help yourself." She watched as Magor nearly flew toward the fight and as he pulled up his fists, ready to strike one of his former acquaintances. Yells of contempt for traitors broke out around him, but he didn't seem to care. Aerin watched closely from the corner table, ever alert to what could turn very very ugly.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #457
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quickleaf is punching air. The initial surprise advantage evaporated as soon as the man in front of him at recovered. The following low punch into Quickleaf's chin hits squarely, sending the blind elf crashing into the bar behind him.

"You'll regret that pointy-ears!" shouts the furious local, picking up a stool and breaking it cleanly apart over Quickleaf's head. Stars! And black circles! And a scene of chair-tossing violence unfolds before Quickleaf's eyes! Wait? Before his eyes. Blurry, but it's unmistakeable, he's seeing things, more than anything the greenish bottle flying at him. Quickleaf ducks and throws himself at the man.

Punch left. Kick right. Standing on one foot, standing on none. Quickleaf is back on the floor. The man jumps at him with all his weight but good to his name the elf flies up like a leaf in the wind and avoids being squashed by the seasoned beef-eater.

Crack! Apparently the floors in the Inn weren't made to handle the weight of a Bear-in-Man. The local's face is buried in the splintered wood. Quickleaf spins around and surveys the scene, rubbing his eyes in bewilderment. He's back!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #458
Midge
Faithful Gardener

As Magor flew into the fray, suddenly his charge stumbled up and quit missing his target as he threw punches left and right. He'd promised to watch over the blind elf to Aerin, but considering the blind elf no longer looked blind, he decided to just stay close to the elf and pretend that he was protecting him while really just plain fighting. There may not be much honor in a barfight, but a man could lose what little there is by not participating.

Slowly, slowly, the men were falling and not getting up. During a very brief lull, Magor threw a look over at Aerin. She was sitting alertly on the edge of her seat with her hand close to her sword. 'She knows better than to draw that here, surely?' he thought. He hoped, he hoped so much that she wouldn't even touch the blade - for all their sakes.

Aerin kept her eyes wide open all the time during the barfight. She didn't know when it would get bad, but she kept her hand ready because she felt like it would, and soon. She was too distracted by all her companions who didn't even flinch at joining such a brawl that she didn't notice Quickleaf suddenly become good at beating a man up, instead of just missing and swiping the air with his fist. She blinked hard. "How long is this going to take?" she asked out loud, though no one heard her over the roar of the fight.

Blossomshade finished her drink and spotted Earthshaker standing some distance away. She beckoned him over to the stream and showed him her bowl to indicate that there was water should he need it. He slowly shook his head and carefully invited her closer so he wouldn't have to yell.

"There's water over there; a small stream if you like," she said when she reached him. Earthshaker held his long twiggy finger to his lips and pointed to his feet. After craning her head so she could see, Blossomshade noted the small human asleep on his toes. "Oh."

"There's something going on in town. Can you hear it?" Earthshaker pointed toward the end of town where the pub was. Blossomshade listened closely.

"Yes, I can, a bit. I wonder what is going on." She set down her bowl and began to creep toward the pub end of town. "I'll go see if I can find out, and maybe help, if I can."

Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #459
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis was having fun, applying her knees and elbows as she could never do in a fight with armored ruffians or hostile animals and leaving bruised and groaning men in her wake. After playing peacekeeper on the road for so long between people who seemed to want anything but a peaceful journey it felt good to knock some heads together. Even if they weren't actually she heads she'd like to be knocking together.
Radagast would likely be annoyed to find out about this incident though. And Aerin was looking awfully nervous over by the door... Haldis sighed mentally and ducked a punch before coming up to drive her elbow into the man's gut, they really would have to make their exit soon. Quickleaf had started it and it wouldn't do to stay long enough for the elf to be put on trial or something equally unfortunate. Right then.

A few more men down or at least distracted and she was to the center of the fight, the card table and the area around it.
"Borin!" She called, hoping the dwarf would hear her, "Get Hedrim out, we need to leave now!" Turning her back on those two of her companions, Haldis dodged a man sent flying by Quickleaf, judging by his aim the elf's sight was recovering, and ducked in close enough to grab the elf by the arm, "Time to go," she said, pulling him towards the door, "Before they get the bright idea to block the door."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #460
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim brought his elbow down on a large mans collar bone, and the man dropped to his knee's. Hedrim finished him with a knee to the face. He heard Borin calling out to him. Hedrim sighed as he slowly began fighting his way towards the door.

Closed Thread