Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #441
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
My lineage can be traced back to King Alfred .
Cool! Did you know that he traced his lineage back to Woden, so you're also descended from a pagan god?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #442
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm quite certain my lineage can be traced to no one not common as mud, just the way I like it. How does the quote go again? "Common people are the best kind there is, that's why god made so many of them."

Tea anyone? I'll put the kettle on.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #443
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I'll take a cup!

Okay, Lief, you should change your name to "Lief Wodenson" now.

I am descended from someone from the same village as Martin Luther; that's about as interesting as it gets, I think.

By the way, historically, Brave Heart was a reference to Robert the Bruce.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #444
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I need to check out my linage. How did you guys trace yours?

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 12-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #445
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

My parents. *shrug*

There are genealogy websites, too.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #446
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
There are genealogy websites, too.
Which are generally quite bogus. There was a bit of a fraud scandal a while ago about companies that offered genealogic research and promised everybody their code of arms. Like everyone is descended from noble or important people. I did wonder how people fell for that one.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #447
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Partly wishful/hopeful thinking... partly pure mathematics and the compounding principle of time.

Supposing there are about 3 generations per century in your line, all across the board.

This means that 100 years ago, you would have had 8 ancestors (your great-grandparents) who were all about the same age you are now.

200 years ago, you would have had 64. 300 years ago, there were 544 and 400 years ago, there were 4352.

Now, here's where it gets interesting: 700 years ago, you had 2.2 million ancestors, and 10 centuries ago, you had 1.14 BILLION ancestors (in that generation alone). Of course - there's a lot of duplication, for sure.

But the point is, go far enough back, checking all lines, and it's about a certainty that we are all descended from some royalty, SOMEwhere along the way! At certain times, the classes stayed separate - but it doesn't take a lot to even cross those boundaries (even the occasional noble, whose eyes are caught by a peasant girl or serving woman).

There might be a number of us who are descended from Robert the Bruce. And if you're willing to just be descended from any old King of England (or otherwise name the country) - and you have any Caucasian in you - your chances are pretty good.

And... since he was King about 15 centuries ago, if he actually had any offspring who survived (and procreated), it's just about guaranteed that I'm descended from King Arthur!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 12-16-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #448
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Cool! Did you know that he traced his lineage back to Woden, so you're also descended from a pagan god?
Lol!
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 12-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #449
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
I only realy traced it by my family...

Anyway I don't realy want to know much about my liniage...

Exept were my last name came from but I'm not shareing that with you guys.

Like to remain... Um, I can't spell it... It's something like aninamose....
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #450
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Partly wishful/hopeful thinking... partly pure mathematics and the compounding principle of time.

Supposing there are about 3 generations per century in your line, all across the board.

This means that 100 years ago, you would have had 8 ancestors (your great-grandparents) who were all about the same age you are now.

200 years ago, you would have had 64. 300 years ago, there were 544 and 400 years ago, there were 4352.

Now, here's where it gets interesting: 700 years ago, you had 2.2 million ancestors, and 10 centuries ago, you had 1.14 BILLION ancestors (in that generation alone). Of course - there's a lot of duplication, for sure.

But the point is, go far enough back, checking all lines, and it's about a certainty that we are all descended from some royalty, SOMEwhere along the way! At certain times, the classes stayed separate - but it doesn't take a lot to even cross those boundaries (even the occasional noble, whose eyes are caught by a peasant girl or serving woman).

There might be a number of us who are descended from Robert the Bruce. And if you're willing to just be descended from any old King of England (or otherwise name the country) - and you have any Caucasian in you - your chances are pretty good.

And... since he was King about 15 centuries ago, if he actually had any offspring who survived (and procreated), it's just about guaranteed that I'm descended from King Arthur!
Brain overload! In that case, I have a pretty good chance of being desended from Robert the Bruce, seeing I have Scottish in me

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 12-16-2006, 11:33 PM   #451
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
Brain overload! In that case, I have a pretty good chance of being desended from Robert the Bruce, seeing I have Scottish in me
Ooo! I had a little Scottish in me for a few years; actually a pretty big Scottish, mmm, my beloved, my dearheart ex-fiance... how I miss him. He was straight Scots, all 6 foot 8 of him...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #452
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

6 foot 8!! Oh my! How terribly exciting......
Old 12-17-2006, 12:32 AM   #453
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh, you bet, bella, and then some! He was the best, the most exciting, the - he introduced me to worlds I'd never known existed, and I will never, ever forget him. He was big, in every way!! Big of heart, big of spirit, big of mind, and big of body. Our timing was off when we met & fell so crazily in love; timing can really screw things up in even the most seemingliy idyllic and perfect matches. Yeah, but I will treasure our memories and the wonderful permanent aftertaste of that pure love 'til the day that I die...

Old 12-17-2006, 12:44 AM   #454
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Sounds really good.... I bet he smelled great too!

Last edited by Lizra : 12-17-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:04 AM   #455
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh, yeah he did - that's right, you & I both have a big thing for scents! Yeah, it was a primal thing, as it is, I think, in all deep love situations between humans and animals. A lot comes to pheromonal scent attraction. Something about the way certain people recognise and passionately require something completely indelible and indescribable in another person, a thing which can be detected by sense of smell... He smelled wonderful, and I was just thinking about his smell a few weeks ago come to think of it. I was giving myself some scent-remembering excercises, by visualising our old places, and re-playing scenes from my memory in my mind, and by doing so I actually was able to pull out olfactory memories. The human mind is an amazing thing, huh...

Old 12-17-2006, 01:05 AM   #456
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Lets watch where this is going please.

There are many short people on the board who just might find these 'tall' comments offensive.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:09 AM   #457
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

You're such a silly goose!! Hey, by the way, babe, how'd your Grinch psong performance go tonight? That was tonight, right?

Old 12-17-2006, 01:36 AM   #458
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

It went decently .

I did forget my line.

Six times.

No, literally, I forgot the words six times, completely skipped the second-to-last verse, had to stop twice to reorient myself, and three times my teacher had to start singing along for a word or two to remind me of the lyrics.

BUT on the other hand I managed to keep people entertained with my face expressions, stage presence, etc... also my voice itself just opened up. I honestly have no idea why, but I've had it happen several times now that the minute I step on stage I can sing ten times better than I ever have off-stage. I feel very relaxed muscle-wise on stage, but 120% energized, and I try to pass that feeling on to the audience... according to the many comments I got, I do it at least decently .

I have crazy stage fright though... my hands shake, my legs shake so hard I can barely stand, I shiver, I have trouble breathing, I can't sit still, I feel like I'm going to throw up... and it gets worse and worse as I get ready to step out...

But the second I can see that stage ahead of me and know the audience can see me, it's like I become a totally different person. I can grin, wave, wink... whatever. I feel like I own the stage and I'm up there not to really perform 'perfectly' persay, but I have this incredible desire to connect with the audience and make them feel as great as I suddenly do.

If you've ever seen Michael Buble, I've been told a few times that the way I perform on stage is very similar to him, except a lot less developed . But that takes time. And of course Michael Buble will always probably be ten times the singer and performer that I could ever be... but I do appreciate the parallel .

I do feel a little bummed out though... my voice is decent, but I realize that I may never be good enough to sing as a soloist in a professional setting. Now more than ever I want to perform... not really for a 'living' as it were... I would rather teach, because that's my greatest passion I think, but I have this incredible desire to be on stage performing. I'd really like to be doing jazz or even pop-rock. Something .

I'm absolutely determined to start working harder than ever now... I have to find out if I can get good enough to perform in a professional venue. It just seems like my desire to perform has gotten stronger as time goes on... I've always enjoyed it, but tonight has left me with a much more powerful urge to do it again than I've ever had before.

Last edited by Tessar : 12-17-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:09 AM   #459
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
It went decently .

I did forget my line.

Six times.

No, literally, I forgot the words six times, completely skipped the second-to-last verse, had to stop twice to reorient myself, and three times my teacher had to start singing along for a word or two to remind me of the lyrics.

BUT on the other hand I managed to keep people entertained with my face expressions, stage presence, etc... also my voice itself just opened up. I honestly have no idea why, but I've had it happen several times now that the minute I step on stage I can sing ten times better than I ever have off-stage. I feel very relaxed muscle-wise on stage, but 120% energized, and I try to pass that feeling on to the audience... according to the many comments I got, I do it at least decently .

I have crazy stage fright though... my hands shake, my legs shake so hard I can barely stand, I shiver, I have trouble breathing, I can't sit still, I feel like I'm going to throw up... and it gets worse and worse as I get ready to step out...

But the second I can see that stage ahead of me and know the audience can see me, it's like I become a totally different person. I can grin, wave, wink... whatever. I feel like I own the stage and I'm up there not to really perform 'perfectly' persay, but I have this incredible desire to connect with the audience and make them feel as great as I suddenly do.

If you've ever seen Michael Buble, I've been told a few times that the way I perform on stage is very similar to him, except a lot less developed . But that takes time. And of course Michael Buble will always probably be ten times the singer and performer that I could ever be... but I do appreciate the parallel .

I do feel a little bummed out though... my voice is decent, but I realize that I may never be good enough to sing as a soloist in a professional setting. Now more than ever I want to perform... not really for a 'living' as it were... I would rather teach, because that's my greatest passion I think, but I have this incredible desire to be on stage performing. I'd really like to be doing jazz or even pop-rock. Something .

I'm absolutely determined to start working harder than ever now... I have to find out if I can get good enough to perform in a professional venue. It just seems like my desire to perform has gotten stronger as time goes on... I've always enjoyed it, but tonight has left me with a much more powerful urge to do it again than I've ever had before.
Oh, Tessar baby it sounds like you're a natural-born stage artist; you've got it in your spirit and your heart, it sounds like - I would really love to be able to attend something you did. I bet you're awesome to experience; you sound as if you adore your audience and even with the stage fright, which by the way some of the best & brightest performing geniuses have & have had, never mind all that - the love & joy and passion for what you do is the thing, isn't it? I would love to see you on stage! Most definitely. It sounds like you've got It, you know? That rare stage charisma which only a few people ever are naturally endowed with... The desire to perform, that's the art naturally inherent within you asking and demanding to be let out... Let her out; let that passionate muse play through you! You'll be a success either way, whether performing as a career, or teaching others, or both...

Old 12-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #460
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Just do it! Practice makes perfect....really.....