FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #441
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
MAJOR TECHNOLOGICAL BREAKTHROUGH

Introducing the new Bio-Optic Organized Knowledge device, trade named: BOOK

BOOK is a revolutionary breakthrough in technology: no wires, no electric circuits, no batteries, nothing to be connected or switched on. It's so easy to use, even a child can operate it.Compact and portable, it can be used anywhere -- even sitting in an armchair by the fire—yet it is powerful enough to hold as much information as a CD-ROM disc.

Here's how it works:BOOK is constructed of sequentially numbered sheets of paper (recyclable), each capable of holding thousands of bits of information. The pages are locked together with a custom-fit device called a binder which keeps the sheets in their correct sequence. Opaque Paper Technology (OPT) allows manufacturers to use both sides of the sheet, doubling the information density and cutting costs. Experts are divided on the prospects for further increases in information density; for now, BOOKS with more information simply use more pages.

Each sheet is scanned optically, registering information directly into your brain. A flick of the finger takes you to the next sheet. BOOK may be taken up at any time and used merely by opening it.BOOK never crashes or requires rebooting, though like other display devices it can become unusable if dropped overboard. The "browse" feature allows you to move instantly to any sheet, and move forward or backward as you wish. Many come with an "index" feature, which pin-points the exact location of any selected information for instant retrieval. An optional "BOOKmark" accessory allows you to open BOOK to the exact place you left it in a previous session—even if the BOOK has been closed. BOOKmarks fit universal design standards; thus, a single BOOKmark can be used in BOOKs by various manufacturers. Conversely, numerous BOOK markers can be used in a single BOOK if the user wants to store numerous views at once. The number is limited only by the number of pages in the BOOK.You can also make personal notes next to BOOK text entries with an optional programming tool, the Portable Erasable Nib Cryptic Intercommunication Language Stylus (PENCILS).Portable, durable, and affordable, BOOK is being hailed as a precursor of a new entertainment wave. Also, BOOK's appeal seems so certain that thousands of content creators have committed to the platform and investors are reportedly flocking. Look for a flood of new titles soon.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #442
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

LOL!
I think that's the best joke I've heard in a long time!
Old 10-23-2005, 02:28 PM   #443
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
1. BOOK is not affected by updated operating systems.

2. When purchased, BOOK is immediately available for use. No unlocking codes are required to open a title. Hard drive crashes will not affect the availability of BOOK. (The great magic word with PC's is : Backup!)And some others

3. BOOKs may be bought and given to others, or shared with them, without complicated registration procedures and licence agreements.

4. Should your optical scanning device become dysfunctional, BOOK can also be obtained in Audio format. This also handy for those who are busy and need their optical scanning devices for other purposes.

5. Unlike NOTEbook, BOOK is not a popular target of thieves.

6. Contrary to other software, the value of BOOK may increase with time.

7. BOOK, unlike computers, is not afraid of 'worm'. in fact, bookworms are those who keep it going.

8. Actually, book CAN crash. I was using book one night in bed, and as I lay there absorbing information my wife rolled over and knocked book from my hand. It crashed to the floor, and it took me quite a while to get it opened up and recovered to the point where I was before the crash. This was however a minor inconvenience and I still believe that this new technology holds the power to be a major media for distributing information.

9. Book has it own storage facility where it can be stored with other Books,called a Bookshelf. Of which I need more,since most are in BOOK holders called boxes.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 10-23-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #444
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

BOOKs! BOOKs! lol
BOOKs RULE!!
Old 10-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #445
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
1. BOOK is not affected by updated operating systems.

2. When purchased, BOOK is immediately available for use. No unlocking codes are required to open a title. Hard drive crashes will not affect the availability of BOOK. (The great magic word with PC's is : Backup!)And some others

3. BOOKs may be bought and given to others, or shared with them, without complicated registration procedures and licence agreements.

4. Should your optical scanning device become dysfunctional, BOOK can also be obtained in Audio format. This also handy for those who are busy and need their optical scanning devices for other purposes.

5. Unlike NOTEbook, BOOK is not a popular target of thieves.

6. Contrary to other software, the value of BOOK may increase with time.

7. BOOK, unlike computers, is not afraid of 'worm'. in fact, bookworms are those who keep it going.

8. Actually, book CAN crash. I was using book one night in bed, and as I lay there absorbing information my wife rolled over and knocked book from my hand. It crashed to the floor, and it took me quite a while to get it opened up and recovered to the point where I was before the crash. This was however a minor inconvenience and I still believe that this new technology holds the power to be a major media for distributing information.
These are so cool! I'm going to make a poster to put up all around my school. I'll e-mail one of the assistant principals there.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:57 PM   #446
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Thinking of BOOKs... I saw a beautiful edition of the Sil a coupla days ago... illustrated, and altogether very nice... it even wasn't very expensive...

Only problem is that I already have my own copy. *sigh* This beautiful edition wasn't in stores when I was looking for it.

*repeats to herself* You already have your copy, no need for another one... spare your money for HoME... you already have your copy...

*siiigh*
Old 10-23-2005, 04:27 PM   #447
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I'd like to order a hot mug of mulled cider.

I had a friend attempt to teach me some basic grammar of Quenya today, and fail once I distracted her with a wonderful fanart site. XD
I guess I'll learn some other time.

Dogs? I'd like a Lundehund someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel
Thinking of BOOKs... I saw a beautiful edition of the Sil a coupla days ago... illustrated, and altogether very nice... it even wasn't very expensive...

Only problem is that I already have my own copy. *sigh* This beautiful edition wasn't in stores when I was looking for it.

*repeats to herself* You already have your copy, no need for another one... spare your money for HoME... you already have your copy...

*siiigh*
I understand your dillema. I have a very cheap secondhand copy of the Silm until I can finally get my hands on the version I really want. But, before that, I'm planning to get the Letters, and History of LotR vol. 4. I forget which HOME # it is.

My DA page

Last edited by Embladyne : 10-23-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #448
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
I had a friend attempt to teach me some basic grammar of Quenya today, and fail once I distracted her with a wonderful fanart site. XD
I guess I'll learn some other time.
Hey! I was the one who distracted her! It may have been better if I let her teach you Quenya, but I wanted to stare at the pretty, pretty Maedhros and Daeron.

Quote:
I understand your dillema. I have a very cheap secondhand copy of the Silm until I can finally get my hands on the version I really want. But, before that, I'm planning to get the Letters, and History of LotR vol. 4. I forget which HOME # it is.
Buying more HoME would kill me. Meh. Eight is enough.

Neil Gaiman
Old 10-23-2005, 04:51 PM   #449
Embladyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElemmÃ*rë
Hey! I was the one who distracted her! It may have been better if I let her teach you Quenya, but I wanted to stare at the pretty, pretty Maedhros and Daeron.
Oh, we STARED, alright. There were many pretty pictures. It was I, though, who found that website in the first place. Late last night.
There was more DarkMage art in the gallery than we first found.

My DA page
Old 10-23-2005, 04:55 PM   #450
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Oh, we STARED, alright. There were many pretty pictures. It was I, though, who found that website in the first place. Late last night.
There was more DarkMage art in the gallery than we first found.
Late late? Wasn't it about 10pm? And when did we stop staring? Midnight?

Neil Gaiman
Old 10-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #451
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*snerk* Fan art....Willow, Klatukatt and Mango just about slew me with that stuff. GW, love the book stuff! Infact, you cant see my actual walls, for there are walls of books! A big ole Moot W0ot for books. *sips cocoa*
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #452
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I think your health was in more danger from the lousy excuses for stories we wrote when we were bored in class than from Eliza's comics... The looks you got on your face were pretty amusing. We always knew how atrocious it was by whether you fell out of your chair or not.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #453
Embladyne

Quote:
Late late? Wasn't it about 10pm? And when did we stop staring? Midnight?
I don't think it was that early. We had to eat first. And then we had to look up that word to understand the notes on an essay Tolkien wrote. And then I looked for Ecthelion art.

My DA page
Old 10-23-2005, 07:34 PM   #454
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*shudder* No kidding....Oh man, some of those things...ought to have been put in a toxic waste dump! And that there was one in particular..It..I..I'm scarred for life. Then there is (was) your obsession with a certain elf and HONEY...I'm not even going to go there. I stopped eating honey for a while. I just couldnt do it.

But I mean, ELVES IN BLACK LEATHER? Did you really have to show me that?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:44 PM   #455
Embladyne

All this talk reminds me of a horrible fic that I was trying to get LM to write so I could illustrate it. She never got past the point where she realized the whole situation was impossible.

But she did write me a poem to set to music. About a completely different subject.

My DA page
Old 10-23-2005, 08:01 PM   #456
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
All this talk reminds me of a horrible fic that I was trying to get LM to write so I could illustrate it. She never got past the point where she realized the whole situation was impossible.
GAH. But it's not impossible. Just very... unsavoury.

And we ate at 9. And Vinyar Tengwar is marvellous. I wish I had more, though. Though Osanwë-Kenta was what I wanted most.

Neil Gaiman
Old 10-23-2005, 08:04 PM   #457
Embladyne

Quote:
GAH. But it's not impossible. Just very... unsavoury.
So....wanna write it? XD Please?

I feel like I'm spamming up this thread...oh wait, I AM.
*drinks hot mulled cider and munches pumpkin cookies*
Now, what kind of furniture does this place have? I wonder if my old favourite comfy chair is still here? Ah, I see it right over there, beside the fireplace.
*settles into the chair and falls asleep instead of studying for her midterms tomorrow like she should be.*

My DA page

Last edited by Embladyne : 10-23-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:11 PM   #458
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
So....wanna write it? XD Please?

I feel like I'm spamming up this thread...oh wait, I AM.
*drinks hot mulled cider and munches pumpkin cookies*
Now, what kind of furniture does this place have? I wonder if my old favourite comfy chair is still here? Ah, I see it right over there, beside the fireplace.
*settles into the chair and falls asleep instead of studying for her midterms tomorrow like she should be.*
Homework? Meh. Who needs that?

I already have one fanfic to write... by the day after tomorrow. Gah.

And this one... frankly, it scares me. A lot.

Neil Gaiman
Old 10-23-2005, 08:31 PM   #459
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
ut I mean, ELVES IN BLACK LEATHER? Did you really have to show me that?
That's what traumatized you? That was the least of it!

And yes I did have to show you.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-23-2005, 08:40 PM   #460
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Elves in black leather seems kind of... tame.

Neil Gaiman
Closed Thread