Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #441
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

ok, guys, I had rpg-RÃ*an overhear something at the door, but I leave it to you Nazzys to decide what she overhears...

(and I put in a reference to the Fall of Gondolin (Tarnin Austa, which was the great feast at the Gates of Summer which was just going to start at dawn when the baddies came), which I hope tempts anyone who hasn't read it to get their buns to a bookstore/library and get The Book of Lost Tales II (aka HoME II) and read it! Great, great story!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #442
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hey, BB, here's a quote for YOU from FoG -

Quote:
from The Fall of Gondolin, by JRRT
Here saw he the first butterflies and was glad of the sight; and it is said that all butterflies and their kindred were born in the valley of the Land of Willows.
(the "he" is referring to Tuor, that stud-muffin!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #443
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

excellent ... i can use that
Quote:
valley of the Land of Willows.
thanks rian.

that'll make it into the 'Annals of Air' i'm sure.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:45 PM   #444
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
eh Gor!
edit: ref the rescue story, gor ...? post #68 ...we need that to be written first!
Ok, I'll put there something about the big reception scheduled for Sunday.
But don't forget, the Widow learned Lilly's name. And she could have followed Ray and Marty.

Now I propose we wait with our Saturday Evening reception for petty nobles and commoners till Val, Ray and Marty finish describing their business at the gate.

Rian, why won't Annawen come to chat with you and see how it goes at your new job? She might also wish you to help with some details of the dress she has donned for the reception. Borrow a necklace, perhaps? And you could tell her what you have overheard. Sounds OK?
I liked your Gondolon reference!
Old 09-13-2005, 05:03 PM   #445
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

tis' saturday morning / mid-morning/ lunchtime just now??
Old 09-13-2005, 05:08 PM   #446
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

In Orrodel it is about 4-5 PM. King Val and his R&M left for the Gates at about noon and were not heard from since. The reception is due at 6 PM and R&M chose to attend. So, I see we must wait for the Good side to post.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #447
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Rian, why won't Annawen come to chat with you and see how it goes at your new job? She might also wish you to help with some details of the dress she has donned for the reception. Borrow a necklace, perhaps? And you could tell her what you have overheard. Sounds OK?
s'okay with me - will have to do it a bit later, tho, gotta run now!

Old 09-13-2005, 07:47 PM   #448
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Sorry, Rian, I have posted the reception already, couldn't wait. Annawen is there. If you could write how Annawen came to see you after the reception, she will have plenty to tell you.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:16 PM   #449
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
What you say, Val, makes imminent sense. Indeed, some ground rules and concepts should be set, made PUBLIC and AGREED UPON. Then, no new player should be accepted in this particular RPG, before he reads and accepts the rules. Something like "Read the rules and sign here". If he wants to change them - please, propose the changes and wait for all other players to approve.
The one who breaches the Rules will be asked to edit his/her posts or quit.
I think it is only fair.

Now I see a technical problem. As Lief pointed out, it is hard for a new player to read ALL the DISCUSSION thread. (BTW, I still believe that to read ALL the MAIN thread is an absolute MUST). But the Discussion thread is very long and contains a lot of chat, sidenotes, what's not, not an easy thing to read.
Therefore I ask our Lord and Lady Moderators to open a third thread for this, really very complex, RPG. It will be the CONCEPTUAL THREAD - just these groundrules and main concepts I described above. I propose to Val to re-post the opening of the game there, the timeline, place, brief info on real Arnor and RPG-Arnor etc. As it is to be a serious info thread, some quotes from the Appendices would help greatly. A link to a map would be great as well. When BB finishes collecting the CAST pictures, the cast poster will go to the conceptual thread as well as character bios. The current vacancies may be announced there as well.
I propose to post my Nazgul concept there in full. Then we can discuss it in the Discussion thread keeping the "Conceptual" thread short and empty of chat. Some edits in the concepts will be done, new ideas added. When we agree on the concept, it will become a law. And Every newbie in this RPG will be asked to READ this new thread and "sign" it.

What say ye?
Gordis
I vote yes, I think it's an excellent idea.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #450
Rían

I think that's a good idea, too. Have the "real" rpg thread, a fun discussion thread, and a kind of formal historical notes thread for background info and bios and things like that. All chat to go on discussion thread.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:50 PM   #451
Rían

Quote:
Sorry, Rian, I have posted the reception already, couldn't wait. Annawen is there. If you could write how Annawen came to see you after the reception, she will have plenty to tell you.
sounds good - I'll wait for the reception to end.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:11 AM   #452
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Marthalion and Raendil Sounds goodah to me, I will edit appropriatly. And I agree fully with gordis! Its good that we have such keen minds aboard!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 09-14-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:22 AM   #453
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
May I respectfully ask you, Mister Erikson, to make public those "swear words, curses and hurtful words that are lashing you almost every time you access Entmoot". As well as proofs of "personal attacks you are getting daily"?
The person you obviously referred to called you a liar. Proofs, please, Mr. Erikson!

If you have no proofs, than I ask all the players of this RPG just forget the matter and discuss it no longer.
No CS - I do not WANT him to respond to this and drag this out any further. It's pointless. I don't care so much about who started this or how - I want it to end... NOW!

So how about if everyone follows only the last sentence of your post - without the first five words.

I want to make sure everyone understands that I've begun to lose my patience with this particular line of discussion. I will do whatever it takes... even to closing the thread or imposing a ban... to be done with it.

And I will not lose a wink of sleep over it. Quite the contrary - I'll probably sleep nice and easy.

[edited: some portions deleted in the best interests of keeping the peace - threat retained for the common welfare. ]

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 09-14-2005 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:28 AM   #454
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

OK - now a post about the game - or about discussing the game.

I don't know if I really want a THIRD thread about this game. But Earniel - you're a more experienced RPG'er than me... what do you think?

The basic geographical and historical information could be summarized pretty briefly - I do a little in one of the early posts of the game thread - should I add to it? OTOH, getting in all the detailed information would be ponderous. I COULD try to add some references to particular sources for information, if that would be helpful to some. (Gordis - could you help me with this, if any request it?)

I am about to try posting to bring Valandil and his buds up to the right time of day. Thanks for being patient.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:36 AM   #455
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-14-2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 AM   #456
Rían

guys - I just finished talking to Lief, and he is MORE than willing to edit his post (in fact, I think he's working on it now) because he NEVER intended it to be taken the way it was taken! I've known him for years and can vouch for that with certainty.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, Lotesse; I was tied up with that crazy candy sale, then home late and dinner and homework and etc. etc., and just finished talking to Lief a short time ago.

Lotesse, will you be around tomorrow morning, because Lief wanted me to run something by you for your opinion and frankly, I"m too tired to do it now!

Val - all is well, and posts are being edited. Shall we move everything to PM?

Last edited by Rían : 09-14-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 AM   #457
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I don't know if I really want a THIRD thread about this game...
I know 3 sounds like a lot at first glance, but coming from a rookie (me), I think it's a GREAT idea! Trying to find bios and info on a discussion thread is just really difficult. Yet I don't want to make the discussion thread merely bios and info, because the talk there is great fun! ANd it's perfect for quick little notes like "can you please change this one thing she said, because I'm planning such-and-such", which would totally clutter up an info thread.

I really like it, Val, can we please try it?

Old 09-14-2005, 02:46 AM   #458
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I will start and police it, if that is acceptable? So val and ear wont need to be bothered?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:10 AM   #459
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I've finished revising my post. As I explain in there, I did make some mistakes there, and there was a reason for that. I definitely should have been more careful to make a good, solid final draft of my post before sending it. That one had a lot of room for interpretation.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-14-2005, 05:02 AM   #460
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
I want to make sure everyone understands that I've begun to lose my patience with this particular line of discussion. I will do whatever it takes... even to closing the thread or imposing a ban... to be done with it.
That goes for me as well. You can all thank RÃ*an for it that I haven't closed this game immediatly yesterday.

Quote:
I don't know if I really want a THIRD thread about this game. But Earniel - you're a more experienced RPG'er than me... what do you think?
So far it has never been necesary, even discussion-threads are a 'recent' development but that is of little importance now. Still, I'd advise against a third thread. I think a third thread can complicate things needlesly. Is all the information we want to add enough to warrant a new thread? Adding too much information about the area and aera may prove as stiffling as reading a long-winded discussion thread.

Consider that, if the thread is only used for stating the rules for joining and playing, setting and character-bios it will eventually sink off the page due to inactivity and be easily missed by a new player that wishes to join. Therefore I would rather advise to include this information either in the first post of the game-thread or the discussion-thread. I've seen that done many times before and it works well enough. How does that sound?

EDIT: I take it I'm the Elf in the green dress?

Last edited by Earniel : 09-14-2005 at 05:09 AM.
Closed Thread