Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #441
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Just because the Pope doesn't approve something doesn't mean it has to be doctrinally accepted by all Catholics.
No one is saying it is like that either, but you must still recognize that the Pope has a lot of power and people gladly let him influence them
You must also admit that Catholics have seem more reluctant to get on this ID train than, say Creationists for instance?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:20 PM   #442
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Let's get something straight. Just because the Pope doesn't approve something doesn't mean it has to be doctrinally accepted by all Catholics. It just carries with it a great deal of influence. And the Pope didn't condemn heliocentrism. He merely discouraged the teaching of it because it would have resulted in the "Enlightenment" in the 15th century. Remember also that they had just gotten over Luther...
I wasn't trying to say that all Catholics automatically follow what the Pope says. I just meant what he has to say would be important to them, and most Catholics would probably give careful thought to what the Vatican says. (I don't know this for sure but it seems probable to me.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:21 AM   #443
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Most Catholics do, or are supposed to, follow Papal dictates. That would be what the concept of Pope as Supreme Father would indicate (Il Papa), and also the doctrine of papal infallibility (developed in rather late, admittedly, in the 1800s AD). Now, they don't necessarily, and particularly on matters like science rather than doctrinal issues. But part of the Catholicity of the Catholic Church is being headed by the Pope. As regards the topic, though, I'm not sure that his pronouncements either way constitute real "evidence."
Old 11-28-2005, 01:25 AM   #444
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I agree that's not evidence, but I don't think anyone was saying that. It was just a slightly OT but interesting discussion. (Funny how that keeps happening... )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #445
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i think the most important point is that strong religious beliefs and evolution can coexist
Old 11-29-2005, 10:17 PM   #446
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
Most Catholics do, or are supposed to, follow Papal dictates. That would be what the concept of Pope as Supreme Father would indicate (Il Papa), and also the doctrine of papal infallibility (developed in rather late, admittedly, in the 1800s AD). Now, they don't necessarily, and particularly on matters like science rather than doctrinal issues. But part of the Catholicity of the Catholic Church is being headed by the Pope. As regards the topic, though, I'm not sure that his pronouncements either way constitute real "evidence."
Just in case anyone was wondering when the Pope's teaching is dogman and must be followed:
"We teach and define that it is a dogma Divinely revealed that the Roman pontiff when he speaks ex cathedra, that is when in discharge of the office of pastor and doctor of all Christians, by virtue of his supreme Apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine regarding faith or morals to be held by the universal Church, by the Divine assistance promised to him in Blessed Peter, is possessed of that infallibility with which the Divine Redeemer willed that his Church should be endowed in defining doctrine regarding faith or morals, and that therefore such definitions of the Roman pontiff are of themselves and not from the consent of the Church irreformable (see Denziger §1839).
-- Vatican Council, Sess. IV, Const. de Ecclesiâ Christi, chapter iv"
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 PM   #447
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
i think the most important point is that strong religious beliefs and evolution can coexist
well i think we are aware of that, C.S Lewis was a theistic evolutionist.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #448
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Jonathan - here's some links for you Sorry they're so late, I'm just still kinda weary of this topic for now *wistful smilie*

http://www.iscid.org/

http://www.arn.org/docs/dembski/wd_idtheory.htm

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/vie...d=view&id=2177

http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork....galopinion.htm

http://www.iscid.org/papers/Dembski_...cts_062102.pdf

Anyway, just a few to look at. As I said, it's in its infancy, and I think it's worthy of further scientific exploration. And so do many others.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 12-01-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #449
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Thanks R*an!

I'll have a look at the links as soon as I have time to spare.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #450
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

You're welcome No rush!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #451
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Just waiting for that third strike....

Pennsylvania Supreme Court Decision

They declared ID unconstitutional and unscientific. The IDers must appeal to the US supreme court or it's "lights out" on ID in public schools.

Survival of the fittest, baby!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:42 PM   #452
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Thank god...

Is there a chance the supreme court will over turn this? I wonder what they will try next? Can they go further stealth then "Intelligent Design"?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #453
Rían

[Cartoon narrator's voice]Who knows what "they" will do next?[/cartoon narrator's voice]

And if evolutionists are so fond of survival of the fittest, then I hope they all buy guns and shoot any disabled or elderly person, who are draining the resources of us fit people.

I don't think ID is ready to be taught in schools; I think Pennsylvania went too far too soon.

Last edited by Rían : 12-20-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #454
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
And if evolutionists are so fond of survival of the fittest, then I hope they all buy guns and shoot any disabled or elderly person, who are draining the resources of us fit people.

Ummm.... I'll attribute the hyperbole to disappointment.

Quote:
I don't think ID is ready to be taught in schools; I think Pennsylvania went too far too soon.
There still an openening in Philosophy class for an untestable hypothesis.

There would be a slim chance that the US court would overturn it. Citing the Lemon test gives precedent and that would have to be shown to not apply. Kind of a stretch. Still the IDers have lots of cash to spend on legal challenges. They just have to decide whether to leave the door open or go for the big score.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 12-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #455
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan

Ummm.... I'll attribute the hyperbole to disappointment.
No, it's a serious statement, made to point out what I think are flaws with how the evolution model fits (or doesn't fit) reality. It's so obvious to me that there is MORE in life than survival of the fittest, and statements like that illustrate that point.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:09 PM   #456
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
No, it's a serious statement, made to point out what I think are flaws with how the evolution model fits (or doesn't fit) reality. It's so obvious to me that there is MORE in life than survival of the fittest, and statements like that illustrate that point.
that may be true, but we need to address those flaws via scientific means in science class... which ultimately means observable phenomenon
Old 12-20-2005, 04:12 PM   #457
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

No, Rian, there is a societal value to allowing old people to live, based on their experience, the support they can give to younger people, and so on. "Fittest" doesn't just apply to individuals, nor does it just apply to "fit" in the sense of physical ability. Our species would be far less "fit" compared to other species if we killed all old people.

The decision seems well reasoned. "ID’s “official position” does not acknowledge that the designer is God. However, as Dr. Haught testified, anyone familiar with Western religious thought would immediately make the association that the tactically unnamed
designer is God" (p.25)
Old 12-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #458
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
No, Rian, there is a societal value to allowing old people to live, based on their experience, the support they can give to younger people, and so on. "Fittest" doesn't just apply to individuals, nor does it just apply to "fit" in the sense of physical ability. Our species would be far less "fit" compared to other species if we killed all old people.
So old people have no intrinsic value in themselves - they just have societal value? Is that your opinion?

Quote:
The decision seems well reasoned. "ID’s “official position” does not acknowledge that the designer is God. However, as Dr. Haught testified, anyone familiar with Western religious thought would immediately make the association that the tactically unnamed
designer is God" (p.25)
So what? So when does science rely on unfounded associations? The whole point is that who the designer IS doesn't matter; it's whether or not what we see in our environment can be determined to be design-based or not, based on ideas that are being developed and fleshed-out, despite determined efforts by the opposition to squash this interesting area of research. IT DOESN'T MATTER who the designer is or isn't; what is being looked at is this: are there measureable characteristics of design; if so, what are they and how can they be quantified; and can we find these in nature or not?

Old 12-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #459
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian
So old people have no intrinsic value in themselves - they just have societal value? Is that your opinion?
Sigh, please do not twist my words out of their context. You said that if it is survival of the fittest, we ought to just shoot old people. I said that that wouldn't actually be survival of the fittest. THAT is what my societal value point was about. It has nothing to do with actually believing old people have no intrinsic value - nor did I say so. I happen to believe old people are wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian
So what? So when does science rely on unfounded associations? The whole point is that who the designer IS doesn't matter; it's whether or not what we see in our environment can be determined to be design-based or not, based on ideas that are being developed and fleshed-out, despite determined efforts by the opposition to squash this interesting area of research. IT DOESN'T MATTER who the designer is or isn't; what is being looked at is this: are there measureable characteristics of design; if so, what are they and how can they be quantified; and can we find these in nature or not?
A) For the courts, yes it DOES matter who the designer is, because if it is God (and read the Wedge Document from the Discovery Institute - the word "theistic" pops up) then it is establishment of religion - and thus unconstitutional.
B) Scientifically, YES, it DOES matter who the designer is, because the designer is SUPERnatural. Science looks for natural causes. The Intelligent Designer is supernatural. ID is not science.
And "interesting area of research"? The ideas have come unchanged since Thomas Aquinas (who, by the way, used it as evidence of God's existence). The evidence is 19th century in origin (flagella, eyes, etc) - where it was used as evidence of God's existence. Research is hardly applicable, except legal research as to how to avoid the courts.

Last edited by Count Comfect : 12-20-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Count Comfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:34 PM   #460
Cirdan

Quote:
There's more to ToE than that too. Let's not be reductionistas.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary