Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 10:42 PM   #441
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
If this game dies, it will not be because of outing something, but because of quarrelling too much.
Isn't that the truth ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
... and now the fogal are totally dominating ...
I've certainly felt that way about the FOEADs many a time, but no biggie - I think that's just the way the game works - I imagine it just kind of swings back and forth, depending upon the current rpg situation and the availability of the writers. But if you feel we're dominating, then start something yourselves Go for it!

Udu - very nice new character (Sapthân)! That reminds me of an Irish lament I want to learn on the harp - most laments are for someone dying, or the pub closing early, or things like that, but THIS one was written by a guy who was a teacher and got reassigned to another part of Ireland, and he was going by land but sent his beloved books by sea, and the ship sank! And he writes this GORGEOUS lament about it. I so totally understand where he's coming from, because I love reading, but back then the poor guy couldn't just pop over to the local bookstore and get some new copies. Anyway, I'm very glad you're giving it another go here, and I certainly hope the RPG can keep going smoothly.

CS - Just got on and saw your post - very fun! I had taken out the Alagos rock in the shoe thingy because it was just in there for a little joke for Val, but I"ll put it back in because you refer to it in your post I love Lilly's POV about Elven stories Did you notice how I worked in your scent idea from the Elven POV? I imagine it would go both ways!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-11-2005, 02:37 AM   #442
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

I'm glad that Udu and Gordis have re-installed the posts. I liked Sapthan very much...

And a warm welcome to Sun-star! I hope you stay with us for a long time.

Gordis, plz clear out your inbox. You have exceeded your limit!

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 12-11-2005, 05:10 AM   #443
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Udu, I am SO glad you decided to forgive and to stay! I thought for some days that the game was over.
Awesome post about Sapthan! I love this bookish, yet jealous and grim guy.
What does his name mean?

Sun-Star Welcome to the Game! May I call you "Sun"? (I bet you won't like being called "SS"!)

Quote:
CraZY sQUIRREL - Also a terrific post! I always look forward to & love whatever you write, CS. I especially like the "tolvadok's cold, poisonous mind" he really does have a cold, poisonous mind. Who placed that ad; was it him, to make problems or something?
Thanks, Lotesse. I don't know who placed the AD, maybe Khamul, maybe the Chancellor. But it is there for Serenoli. I believe the poor student Girithron was looking for a place with a good salary? BTW, I figure if he askes someone at the Herring about it, he will be told of Rian's employement. (BTW, where is our Annawen? She must be there somewhere still.) And then, in the morning, Tol-Girithron may try to find Rian to ask her about her impressions of the place. Do you like that, Serenoli and Rian?

Rian, Thank you for re-installing the Alagos's foot-rubbing scene. I admit, I have not noticed it gone. I was so upset these days, I admit I had difficulty to appreciate your jokes with the magazines and fans. Now I think it was funny, for those in right mood. Anyway,
CS.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #444
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Sun-star! I'd never thought I'd see you pop up in here. What a pleasant surprise. Welcome!

Quote:
Lilly and Buz bought Orrodel THREE WEEKS AGO.
I read it somewhere after my post, but I had clean forgotten about it while I was writing. Since Orrodel was still in a bad shape when they hired RÃ*an, I was under the impression that they had only just arrived themselves. My bad. Blame it on the alternative realities.

Quote:
And as far as I know gossip from RL, it is just that sort of stories that gets spread immediately "-I tell you there were three bottles! - No, I saw four with my own eyes. - And she didn’t drown! And walked afterwards as if nothing happened!" Names and place details will be lost in the retelling, but the story will live on.
You're probably right. But with reading your reply I was suddenly struck by how much gossiping can be used as a bit of comical relief in this game. Interesting...

Quote:
It was Udu who wrote the post.
Oops. I didn't know, thanks for telling me. Both yours and Udu's posts were deleted by the time I got on line.

Quote:
All of a sudden, there was contention among the ranks, and now the fogal are totally dominating - two posters in particular, like the whole story is primarily - or JUST - about their own characters. It's weird, I don't like it.
Hmm, obviously the Elf-posts weren't so well received as I had previously thought. Pity. I suppose I never felt the need for this game to be split into two seperate camps so much. But in this light I doubt you'd all mind much if I take the next few days off of roleplaying in this game as well.

Perhaps I have devoted too much of my time into this game lately. It's been draining to say the least. I have several other creative projects that I've been neglecting in favour of this game and that wouldn't mind a little more of the attention and time that have been going into this RPG so far. And december is always a very busy month here in RL.

I'll still be following the threads, just not participating for a while. Feel free to move Eärniel around while I'm away.

Last edited by Earniel : 12-11-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #445
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
You're probably right. But with reading your reply I was suddenly struck by how much gossiping can be used as a bit of comical relief in this game. Interesting...
Indeed. I never understood why gossip was beeng taken so dead seriously here. It can be quite fun.

Quote:
Oops. I didn't know, thanks for telling me. Both yours and Udu's posts were deleted by the time I got on line.
Now both are reinstalled.

Quote:
Hmm, obviously the Elf-posts weren't so well received as I had previously thought. Pity. I suppose I never felt the need for this game to be split into two seperate camps so much. But in this light I doubt you'd all mind much if I take the next few days off of roleplaying in this game as well.
Please, don't take offence. It is by no means the universal opinion of the FOEAD. I don't even believe it is Lotesse's personal opinion, as her bite was posted in one of her bad moments. Your FOGAL posts are quite enjoyable most of the time.
Perhaps the Christmas week will be quiet here. I will also be very busy around that time.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #446
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Udu - very nice new character (Sapthân)! That reminds me of an Irish lament I want to learn on the harp - most laments are for someone dying, or the pub closing early, or things like that, but THIS one was written by a guy who was a teacher and got reassigned to another part of Ireland, and he was going by land but sent his beloved books by sea, and the ship sank! And he writes this GORGEOUS lament about it. I so totally understand where he's coming from, because I love reading, but back then the poor guy couldn't just pop over to the local bookstore and get some new copies. Anyway, I'm very glad you're giving it another go here, and I certainly hope the RPG can keep going smoothly.
Rian, a song about losing books in a shipwreck is truly a topic for a lament. That is really a tragedy. If that happened to a man like the character of Sapthan, he would be overcome with grief.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:18 PM   #447
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Udu, I am SO glad you decided to forgive and to stay! I thought for some days that the game was over.
Awesome post about Sapthan! I love this bookish, yet jealous and grim guy.
What does his name mean?
CS, I do not want to leave the game. It has too many nice people and I would miss all of them. The game itself has the potential to be a lot of fun; I hope there can be some comedy scenes. I don't know what, yet, but I am sure with all these creative people that there could be some opportunities for real comedy.

"Sapthân" is Adûnaic, and means "wise man" or "wizard" (but not THE wizard, as in Zigûr Sauron.)

Welcome to the game, Sun Star.

By the way, what is a "FOGAL?"
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #448
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Exactly the question I wanted to ask. Also what is FOEAD?

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 12-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #449
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Sun-Star Welcome to the Game! May I call you "Sun"?
Go ahead Thanks for the welcome, guys!
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #450
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

FOGAL = Forces of Goodness and Light (Rian's term)
FOEAD = Forces of Evil and Darkness (my imitation of Rian's creative idea)

Serenoli, sorry again, I have cleaned more space in my mail-box (after an E-mail warning). Strange, I had only 92 posts out of 94 allowed. I have to find time and clean more space today...

And I loved your post. The dwarf's happinness, when being paid in gold, was priceless. Also I liked: "He shook off his cloak, revealing the pale-golden hair, and young face, which somehow always made women take a maternal stance towards him." Hilarious.

CS, Very nice post, very funny. And I liked the announcement you left for Tolvadok.

Rian, I wanted to ask it earlier, but have forgotten. Now Udu's post reminded me: is it possible to see the text of the lament in question, about books? It sounds very interesting. If it is not too big, could you post it here, perhaps?

TD Are you there? What about Khamul's story about the Gladden? Or perhaps Udu can post the end of it, if you are not there? The Morgul Lord is waiting for you to finish your conversation.You may mention his arrival at the end of your talk. Then the Chancellor will show both of you the Library. He is quite proud of it. (as is the Evil Cartographer).

As for the dancing girls, perhaps we leave it for Tuesday? Not that we, nazgul, are tired, but the rest of the company is sleeping already, it seems. That's why it is better to finish with the LOOONG Monday.

Last edited by Gordis : 12-11-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:33 PM   #451
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Serenoli - 'Girithron' - the Dwarf; you know, don't you, that his name is the Sindarin word for the month of December?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 12-11-2005, 06:40 PM   #452
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Serenoli - 'Girithron' - the Dwarf; you know, don't you, that his name is the Sindarin word for the month of December?
Girithron is not the Dwarf, Valandil, he is Tolvadok the Nazgul

Girithron happens to be his old real name as well as the one he uses in Tharbad. Yes, Serenoli has mentioned that it means "December", an appropriate name for a flaxen haired and blue-eyed Northerner.
You must have missed it in the Discussion Thread, Val.

But here is a note for Serenoli: Please, post this alternative name for Tolvadok into the INFO thread. It is not there yet.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #453
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Serenoli - I loved your post - I liked the "maternal" thing, too - a very valuable (and dangerous) asset! And the dwarf's reaction reminded me of the Hobbit line about Thorin. It's so fun to write with people that know the same books that I do

I look forward to writing a post with your character and mine - I'm sure it will be a pleasure working with you PM me with some of your ideas, if you'd like, or just go ahead and write something - I was planning to have her out at dawn on Tuesday for a solitary walk, anyway.

Gordis - it's a musical lament; there are no words. Actually, very fitting for the situation - the words are lost; there are no words for the loss...

I can't find the CD notes just now - they keep slipping out of the cover because the little slit that holds them is too big. When I find it, I'll give you the name of the piece. I'll also check to see if a bit of it is on her website - I know that she has some of her pieces on there. I'm glad you guys liked what I shared - the piece is gorgeous, and when I read what it was actually about, I loved it even more.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #454
Rían

I just checked the website, and only the first 3 songs have samples, and it's the 5th one Anyway, here's the notes from the CD (they were on her website):

Quote:
from Grainne Hambly's CD
Amhrán na Leabhar (Slow Air)
Amhrán na Leabhar ('The Song of the Books'), which is often referred to as Cuan Bhéil Inse ('Valencia Harbour'), was composed by the poet Tomás Ruadh O'Súilleabháin (1785-1848) of Derrynane, Co. Kerry. The song contains eleven verses in all. Tomás Ruadh had been acting as schoolmaster near Caherdaniel and was forced to find a new position when another master was appointed. The poet sought a similar post in Portmagee and put all his books and other possessions on a boat at Derrynane harbour to be sent to the Goilin (Valencia Harbour). He himself made the journey by foot. When he reached Portmagee, Tomás Ruadh heard that the boat containing his books had been ship-wrecked on its way out of the harbour. He composed this song lamenting the fate of his books. This version was arranged by the renowned harper Janet Harbison.
Hey, I'm wrong - there ARE verses! 11 of them! I'll do a search ...

Last edited by Rían : 12-11-2005 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #455
Rían

Well, I found it in what I presume is Gaelic ... still searching for the English lyrics, but I DID find a sample of it by a singer (as opposed to my harp version) -

http://www.copperplatedistribution.com/copp005.html

click on #6.

I'll keep looking for the lyrics a bit ...

Old 12-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #456
Rían

No English lyrics, but one more interesting bit about the song, then GTG for now:

Quote:
"Amhran Na Leabhar" (Song of the Books) has an interesting story, and the song itself is spare and haunting. Since Irish children were taught English under British rule, the Irish language went into decline until "hedge schools" began to appear to teach the children their native language. The song is one of despair because a ship that was carrying books to be used in these hedge schools sank off the Kerry coast.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #457
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Serenoli - I loved your post - I liked the "maternal" thing, too - a very valuable (and dangerous) asset!
I really HOPE Rian will feel maternal towards the young, poor, underfed Girithron!

Thank you for searching for the lament. I am really looking forward to see it!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #458
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Earniel, I wasn't referring to you when I made that irritated comment the other day! Not you at all, but I purposely stayed vague in order not to hurt the feelings of who it actually was directed to... oh, diggin' myself deeper here... anyway... I can understand wanting to pause writing a little while, though; I'm right with you there. I, too, need to back off for a while. Inspiration has gone pretty dead for me in our RPG, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm afraid to write anything at all for fear of it being criticised to death, not accepted, picked apart, left vulnerable to invisible spies, ignored, or negated by everyone going you can't do this, you got that wrong, this, that, this, that, etcetera etcetera. No fun. Not really any artistic wriggle room at all. It kills the inspiration for me. PLUS, I don't really feel like writing at ALL if Shah's not around. Meh.

It's not you guys, it's me (does that sound like a break-up line, or what? but it's not, I just need to quit it for a while) I'll keep up with the reading what others write, though, especially certain writers in here whose posts I always look forward to.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-11-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #459
Rían

Quote:
I really HOPE Rian will feel maternal towards the young, poor, underfed Girithron!

Thank you for searching for the lament. I am really looking forward to see it!
I can't seem to find the English lyrics, and have to go now, but please check out the link I posted where it was sung (post 455) and let me know what you think. The beginning part (the bit on the clip) is lovely, but the middle is even lovelier - I wish it was a longer clip!

Old 12-11-2005, 07:33 PM   #460
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
I can't seem to find the English lyrics, and have to go now, but please check out the link I posted where it was sung (post 455) and let me know what you think. The beginning part (the bit on the clip) is lovely, but the middle is even lovelier - I wish it was a longer clip!
My ** computer doesn't recognise the format! I shall try at a better one at work. If I succeed, I will let you know. Thank you very much, Rian.
Closed Thread