Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #441
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

But I'm stoked, because like I said it's fantastic for the garden, and hopefully all this rain'll revive my poor wilty palm trees. *sips fattening Chai; absentmindedly leans against Leroy while Claire the puppy nestles nearby, on overstuffed chair next to blazing fireplace in the Teacup Cafe*

Here's a website all about palms, but I can't find the name of my little palm trees. Still lookin'.

http://www.junglemusic.net/palms/

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-27-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #442
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
LOL! The only problem out here we have is that my dad will be working half the night. At the slightest hint of a slight fraction of a percent of possibility of rain, Verizon puts the whole company on a "rainy-day" schedule, which means that even if it doesn't rain, I won't be seeing him till late.
Anyone got some heavy water? As in D2O? (aka H2O with a deuterium isotope of hydrogen.)
My beautiful font size changes didn't work. Let me try again...
Old 02-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #443
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Re: Norwegian heavy water from world war II -

In contrast to the Allied effort, heavy water was central to Heisenberg's rather ambiguous fission program in Germany. A large-scale industrial effort like that mounted in the United States for isotope separation was impossible, and the entire program centred on a small amount of unenriched uranium and Norwegian heavy water.
In February 1940 Werner Heisenberg, in Berlin, reviewed the published literature, particularly the work of Bohr and Wheeler which pointed out that it was the likely the rare isotope of uranium 235U which was being fissioned. He decided that to build a reactor from natural uranium required good moderator - D2O or carbon. If H2O was to be used as a moderator, then the uranium would have to be enriched in 235U. By summer Walter Bothe, in Heidelberg, had tried the purest form of carbon he could obtain - electrographite from Siemens - but found the absorption too high for natural uranium. They recognized that this was probably due to residual impurities, and worked out further refining steps, but Army Ordnance, their paymasters, ruled out trials due to cost. Robert Döpel in Leipzig had shown experimentally that D2O was a good moderator; indeed it looked like the only possibility.

Read the rest of this fascinating article here:

http://www.physics.ubc.ca/~waltham/d...er/node10.html

Old 02-27-2006, 09:33 PM   #444
trolls' bane

Interesting. I saw that on the deuterium article, but didn't check it out. I'll read that...Take it with me to school tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:40 PM   #445
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

The Allied underground resistance, in order ot prevent the Axis from getting ahold of heavy water and being able to get a head start on making atomic bombs, sunk one of their own (Norwegian) ships which held a cargo of barrels of heavy water, to keep the Axis from getting their paws on it. That ship sunk in one of Norway's huge lakes; Pytt would know which one, surely.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #446
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Nice hot beef stew for everyone!!

*puts a steaming crock with beef stew on the table, along with bowls and spoons*

With some yummy French rolls, too! Got the beef and the rolls from our local butcher/produce store that's been here for ages. Slightly pricey, but well worth it on occasion.

Well, I"m off to take the second crock to my friend Enjoy!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #447
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh, MAN that hits the spot!!! Thank you so much, Rian; that is the perfect food for this rainy evening. And here is a nice Aussie Shiraz-Cab to go with that stew, for everyone -

Damn, that's good stew!

Old 02-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #448
trolls' bane

Thanks! *eats*
Old 02-27-2006, 10:29 PM   #449
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....late news.....The History Channel had the Norway stuff, months ago.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #450
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

More good News:

Chocolate Linked to Lower Blood Pressure
By CARLA K. JOHNSON (Associated Press Writer)
From Associated Press
February 27, 2006 8:47 PM EST
CHICAGO - Leave it to the Dutch to help demonstrate the health benefits of chocolate.

A study of older men in The Netherlands, known for its luscious chocolate, indicated those who ate the equivalent of one-third of a chocolate bar every day had lower blood pressure and a reduced risk of death
Old 02-27-2006, 11:18 PM   #451
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
....late news.....The History Channel had the Norway stuff, months ago.
Well guess what. We have it now, here, in the here and now, at the Teacup Cafe, not at the History Channel. Perhaps trolls' bane did not SEE that History Channel story; I thought he'd find it interesting now, in light of his current interest in the subject of heavy water.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 PM   #452
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Well guess what. We have it now, here, in the here and now, at the Teacup Cafe, not at the History Channel. Perhaps trolls' bane did not SEE that History Channel story; I thought he'd find it interesting now, in light of his current interest in the subject of heavy water.
Yeah. What gives everyone the impression that I have cable? I don't even watch the channels I have! Period. I get all the news I need from the internet and NPR.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #453
trolls' bane

Well, now seems like a good time to say, Nurv, you've melted! This used to be a picture of you.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #454
trolls' bane

Alle ignorerer meg på den gal tid! Jeg er slik syk av folk og deres hedonistic livsstil. DET ER INGEN DRAENDE RYGGER! I dag var den siste strå. Jeg ber om unnskyldning, skjønt jeg ikke føler seg noen behov til. *murrer sint*
Ach! Still can't speak it corectly. Nevercould. Non. Jaimais! No, doubleplusungood felling MURGHLAK!

Last edited by trolls' bane : 02-28-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:46 AM   #455
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

What is the MATTER with you tonight, trolls' bane? Are you O.K.? Here, have a nice cup of warm tea and sit by the fireplace, and for pete's sake, calm DOWN. *Hands TB a cup of tea, wraps him in cozy cashmere blanket, sets him in the big cushy-chair by the fire.*

Old 02-28-2006, 12:53 AM   #456
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
What is the MATTER with you tonight, trolls' bane? Are you O.K.? Here, have a nice cup of warm tea and sit by the fireplace, and for pete's sake, calm DOWN. *Hands TB a cup of tea, wraps him in cozy cashmere blanket, sets him in the big cushy-chair by the fire.*
Thank you.
Rough last six hours or so.
(Τους ρωτήστε! )
Ah, sometimes I am such a hypocrite.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #457
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Alle ignorerer meg på den gal tid! Jeg er slik syk av folk og deres hedonistic livsstil. DET ER INGEN DRAENDE RYGGER! I dag var den siste strå. Jeg ber om unnskyldning, skjønt jeg ikke føler seg noen behov til. *murrer sint*
Ach! Still can't speak it corectly. Nevercould. Non. Jaimais! No, doubleplusungood felling MURGHLAK!
You speak Norwegian!! That's awesome! I had no idea.

I don't think people meant to ignore you. After hedonistic, I just got confused.

I'm coming up to my 7000th post. That post should be in here, showing you the cafe picture I drew for my lovely customers!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 02-28-2006, 12:59 AM   #458
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
You speak Norwegian!! That's awesome! I had no idea.

I don't think people meant to ignore you. After hedonistic, I just got confused.

I'm coming up to my 7000th post. That post should be in here, showing you the cafe picture I drew for my lovely customers!
Oy! Γιατί οποιοσδήποτε άλλοσδήποτε δεν με είπε αυτοί θα μπορούσε να μιλήσει τα νορβηγικά!.
No, I can't.
And once again, I am being a hypocrite. This is ONE LONG HOUR! At least I got the house to myself. But frell it, doesn't anyone have an air conditioner around here!? Not allowed ot turn it on.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:12 AM   #459
trolls' bane

Ga! I am such a fool sometimes! What was I thinking? I am going to destroy Mt. Baxter! I WILL DESTROY IT! I give it to the control of R2D2!
DEATH TO MT. BAXTER! DEATH TO QUATUM TOWN!

No, never mind...too much work...perhaps I should just take a rest. I am so exausted. Maybe I'll have Zeak do it for me.

Last edited by trolls' bane : 02-28-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:14 AM   #460
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That's Greek! Hey, what does that translate to? I was learning Greek, a long time ago my Greek ex-boyfriend was teaching me modern Greek and I had been teaching myself ancient Greek on my own, from books. That was back in my smart and sharp days, back when my I.Q. hadn't yet been so damaged by life and hard drugs. What does that translate to, TB?

Closed Thread