Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2007, 04:26 AM   #441
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief
Last night, I dreamed that I was walking across an intersection. I was on the crosswalk, crossing, and a Mexican woman in a truck wanted to turn right. I paused on the street because she looked like she was a bit pushy, but when I paused, she paused. Then the instant I began to move forward, she began to inch forward, and then we both stopped again. I was supposed to have right of way, being a pedestrian, but I also was a bit nervous about her based on her behavior. I tried going forward again and she at the same time decided I wasn't going to go forward, so she went forward. Then we both stopped, her still not having made her turn and me still trying to get across, but nervous to try it with her in front of me.

Finally, entirely exasperated and just wanting to get across the street, I started seriously marching forward. She decided the same thing at the same time, stomped on the gas at about the same moment and zipped forward, making the turn and careening by just in front of me, almost brushing me so close did she pass. Having made the turn, she stopped, rolled down her window and stuck her head out to look back at me. Then she hollered, "WHY DON'T YOU JUST MAKE UP YOUR MIND???"
Women and minorities, challenging you, kindly, and telling you what you already are telling yourself - "make up your mind!" as if you believe, deep down in your subconscious, that you're wavering about how you, YOU yourself in your heart, truly deeply think about them - women and minorities, that is. You see - she, a woman, had the wheel of a car - no, a TRUCK, even more powerful, while you, a white man, were merely walking, in no position of power at all, at the mercy of her decision - she was the Alpha Dog in this scenario, and you - were not. But she wasn't rubbing it in your face, she just insistently LEAD you to a response. She was leading you, and you followed her prompting, until she got fed up. - "why don't you just make up your mind..."

Was it Jung? or Freud? one of those dream-therapist genius gurus who said that when we dream, all the characters and figures in our dreams are all parts of us, they are all us, not "women" or "monsters" or "mother" or "little girl" or "celebrity" or "guy with gun" but all our own brain's manifestations of parts of our own psyche, parts of our own character. Our dream people are all us.

So, the minority woman in you is furious with you and is demanding that you take a stand, either against that part of yourself or for, but on your own terms, not on the terms of your political idology or religious dogma, that's what I see anyway from that bit 'o dream...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-16-2007 at 04:36 AM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #442
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Actually Lotesse, it seems to be a metaphor for the immigration issue...

Lief, this has to be the most interesting dream I've heard in quite awhile.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 09-16-2007 at 09:09 AM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #443
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Actually, it sounds like Leif ate too soon before bed .

I think you're both projecting yourselves onto his dream .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #444
hectorberlioz

Considering that I know Lief a little more than Lotesse, mine makes more sense. We'll have to see, when Lief gets back to us.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #445
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

On the whole, it sounds like a rather mundane dream, Lief. You didn't even see any dragons, dancing mice or nightmares with commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Our dream people are all us.
A bit a simplistic theory, I think. It doesn't, for one, quite explain the yellow dodo with duck feet and the bazooka... Or if it does, I'm not sure I want to know.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #446
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel

A bit a simplistic theory, I think. It doesn't, for one, quite explain the yellow dodo with duck feet and the bazooka... Or if it does, I'm not sure I want to know.
You're just trying to get out of something...

See, we dream of what we like the most. And Earniel LOVES yellow dodos with duck feet and bazookas

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 09-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #447
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
You're just trying to get out of something...
Oh? Like what?

Quote:
See, we dream of what we like the most. And Earniel LOVES yellow dodos with duck feet and bazookas
That theory doesn't fly, my friend. I don't remember a single dream about frogs or chocolate. I do, however, quite vividly remember those dreams from which you wake up, scared to death because you have just realised you missed a final, only to remember well duh, you've been graduated for two years by now. I can say with absolute conviction I do not love missing deadlines. Compared to that, the dodo wasn't half as bad.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #448
Star
Hobbit

Okay one time i dreamt that i was in rohan, and i was blowing merry's horn. Eomer came out and asked me what the problem was. I told him "the remaining orcs are starting to attack the shire!" with that treebeard and i went back to the shire as the hobbits started running. i saw there were 300,000 orcs( whait... how'd that many survive without sauron? ) I grabbed rosie and sam as they ran past. "Go into the hills. Take everyone with u!" sam looked shocked "Star?! U're alive?!!!" I pushed him "Duh! now get everyone into the hills!" they nodded and left. Merry came running up "Star? What are mad? U can't hold them off by yourself!" "Merry, I can stall them long enough for rohan to get here! now go!" he grabbed my arm "Star i won't let u die!" i tear ran down his cheeck "Merry i won't die. I promise, we'll see each other again!" Merry sighed and let go "Be careful Star! I...I..." He couldn't talk I smiled as the tears ran down my cheeks. "Merry, I'll be fine. I have something to fight for." He looked up at me "What? What could be worth risking your life?" "You." He looked AT me in shock. "Star, I...I..." he grew silent and i kissed him (That's a dream i didn't want to wake up from!) as i pulled away he smiled and left. "Bring it on!" I had killed 100 orcs when rohan arrived. after the battle was over Merry came out looking for me. "NO!" Merry ran to my side. I was lying flat on the ground. "Star! Star!" I moaned wearily "Merry..." he held me in his arms "I'm sorry.... so sorry..." with that i blacked out. when i unblacked out i was in a bed. Eomer walked in and thats when i woke up. weird huh?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #449
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
On the whole, it sounds like a rather mundane dream, Lief. You didn't even see any dragons, dancing mice or nightmares with commercials.
B-b-b-b-b-b-but-but . . . BUT SHE ALMOST KILLED ME!
Quote:
Considering that I know Lief a little more than Lotesse, mine makes more sense. We'll have to see, when Lief gets back to us.
I hadn't really thought about interpretations for the dream. I was more focused on just how crazy a driver the woman was . I doubt Tessar's eating explanation, because I'd last eaten over three hours before I went to bed.

As regards Lotesse's interpretation, in the dream the woman was not kindly leading me but was nastily blocking me whenever I tried to move, because she was impatient to make her turn but at the same time was afraid to hit me.

I personally prefer Hector's interpretation, myself. It seems to me to make sense that her dangerous driving might be the result of her being an illegal alien and not having gone through a US driving school. It's not like I'm any kind of final word on the matter, of course. I could certainly be wrong and someone else right.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-16-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:50 PM   #450
hectorberlioz

Quote:
That theory doesn't fly, my friend. I don't remember a single dream about frogs or chocolate.
I can explain that: you dont't really like chocolate and frogs!!

Quote:
I do, however, quite vividly remember those dreams from which you wake up, scared to death because you have just realised you missed a final, only to remember well duh, you've been graduated for two years by now. I can say with absolute conviction I do not love missing deadlines. Compared to that, the dodo wasn't half as bad.
Earniel, you gotta admit...there's a certain thrill in missing a deadline.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 09-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #451
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson

I personally prefer Hector's interpretation, myself. It seems to me to make sense that her dangerous driving might be the result of her being an illegal alien and not having gone through a US driving school. It's not like I'm any kind of final word on the matter, of course. I could certainly be wrong and someone else right.

You are such a chauvinistic American pig-dog .

I think you just had a really weird dream .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:59 AM   #452
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar

You are such a chauvinistic American pig-dog .
Lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
I think you just had a really weird dream .
Very possible.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:36 AM   #453
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

In certain methods of dream invoking, you can gain control of your dreams and make them about what ever you want. In your subconscious you can actually retain the memory of, for example, everything that's in your house. That example was quite useful for me when I was trying to find something important that I had lost. Because of the dream I was able to find what I had misplaced. Dreams can actually help heal you, as afterall, dreams are a way of your brain to "defrag" or do a "disk scan" sort of. Some methods of dream invoking can be used to remove depression, which in and of itself can do a substantial amount of damage physically, due to the chemicals released or stored by the brain. The taking up of a chemical from the body, or the release of another, can make your body work less efficiently, causing someone to not heal as fast as they really should.

Some dreams though are quite mundane and very random. Some dreams have no purpose except for your brain to organize either useless or useful information when in the dream it just appears to be useless random information.

We live in a world where everything we see, hear, smell, taste, and feel can have some definition. But in the realm of thought, which involves the exchange of information in the brain, things are mostly undefined and reality means almost nothing in a dream. Subconscious control over them gives more definition to them, sort of how one would go about materializing matter from energy. Doing the exact opposite would be similar to using magic.
Ingwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #454
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

That really doesn't explain why I have all these dreams where I am extreamly violent, like throwing my stalker ex- boyfriend off a building or engaging in battle with 300 spartians (I'm seriuos about that one)

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #455
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Sounds like you have really fun nights .

Old 09-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #456
Earniel

Quote:
Earniel, you gotta admit...there's a certain thrill in missing a deadline.
Oh riiight, the same thrill that's in having a heart-attack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
That really doesn't explain why I have all these dreams where I am extreamly violent, like throwing my stalker ex- boyfriend off a building or engaging in battle with 300 spartians (I'm seriuos about that one)
With dreams like that, you shouldn't worry too much about why you're having them, instead you should sit back and enjoy the show.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #457
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Oh riiight, the same thrill that's in having a heart-attack...
It's a thrill isn't it?. Sheesh. Be content.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #458
Nautipus
Kraken King

I've had some wicked weird dreams in my day. There was this one where I was looking over this plain from the top of a hill. The plain was green and beautiful and had a huge river running through it. In the center of the plain was a city, like a modern day city that looked like New York. It was really bright and sunny. Then these clouds rolled in out of nowhere, they just kinda appeared, like the sky was on fire. The sun was blotted out and it was really hard to see anything at all. Every now and again the clouds would break up a little bit and silvery white light would stream through, like moonlight except brighter. Then, there was a darker shadow that stretched across the plain. I looked up and there was this huge thing flying over me. It had huge wings, I mean REALLY big, and a long skinny neck, at the end of which was a bulbous, misshappen head. It also had a long tail with smaller wings coming off of it and ended in a feathery or spikey protrusion. There were two arms that looked like T-Rex arms comming out of its chest, and instead of legs it had these two really long tendrils. It flew out over to the city and landed on these two buildings and ran the tendrils down around them to hold on. Its wings and tail just kind of hung there, and its head was hanging vertically. I went into the city and found some weapons, the city was deserted. Then I saw a single light in one of the buildings that the creature was on top of. I went in and found a guy and we left together. When we were leaving the city we looked up and there was some black fog coming out of the thing's head, which was made up of a bunch of eyes of different sizes, and this round perforation for a mouth. The fog was leaking out of the creases of the eyes. Then it spat this huge black fog-ball into the middle of the city. it punched through the ground and all this black fog began seeping out. The thing took off from the building and flew away, and out of the hole in the ground came all these red tendrils, that wrapped around the buildings and streets, then this big red thing came out of the hole, and began beating like a heart. Then I could see the hole planet, and there were these big flying things everywhere, and they were making the planet come to life, and there was this big thing coming from far out in space to eat Earth when it became totally organic.

This was a really creepy dream. What does it mean?

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #459
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

That's pretty apocalyptic. Very, very weird. My feeling is it's symbolically describing the end of the world. It reminds me of a dream I once had, though mine was much less dramatic. In my dream, there was an alien army that was planning to conquer Earth, but before they could conquer Earth, they needed a certain amount of spiritual power. They dug down beneath the Earth's crust to the ruins of ancient Babylon, and there was a carving of a giant serpent on the ground down there. Then the serpent began to come to life.

That's rather similar to your description of an alien power from outside only being able to attack and eat the earth after an insidious power from inside the Earth has consumed it, consumed it with what IMO is sin. In yours it was a beating heart with black fog and red tendrils, in mine the devil and the ancient power of Babylon (the heart of evil, according to the Bible). Though yours, again, was far more dramatic than mine.

My opinion is that your dream shows sin consuming the world with the decline of the Christian era of dominance in world power, and then your dream describes the inevitable destruction of the world that will result when our evil has reached its fullness. But as your dream points out more than once, there are still places at which God reaches the world, places where the light still shines in spite of the overall darkness. In the same way, Jesus Christ still reaches the world today in spite of the decline of the knowledge of God and the ever increasing growth of sin and evil. The Book of Revelation in the Bible describes things that are similar to your dream. I believe that God gave you your dream as a remarkable gift, showing you the course of human history and its conclusion.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-17-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #460
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Sounds like you have really fun nights .
You know me too well

Nautipus, that is one weird dream

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote