Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #441
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Good morning, Earn, I'm jealous.

I didn't know either of my grandfathers and the next generation doesn't either. The image of a crusty do-it-yourselfer fudging the truth about repairs to the tank (as long as the inhabitants survived) is irresistably cute to me.

I look forward to some judiciously pruned photo diary.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 07-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #442
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Thanks. He's a dear, my pépé, but he can drive you up the wall. Used to work in building, but the more stories I hear of him of his and his mates' exploits, the less I'm inclined to ever let him build my house! There's an amazing lot he knows about it, tricks and all, I've learned quite a bit from him, but he no longer has a patience for it, and with age he can't do all the tinkering anymore he wants to do.

He gets a little deaf so he with relish ignores your feeble protests about not doing something, he's used to work with slaves so he wants you to stick around to hand him things and gear, never mind what you're trying to do yourself. And he drops gear, often breakable gear and kicks it out of the way, because he can't bend very well to put it down or put it away. A few months ago he dropped a drill, point first on a second-hand parket floor my dad and I spent two days laying. So it was second-hand and scratched, but I nearly strangled him for dropping that drill like that!

But he'll never ever admit to having done something wrong. Usually his excuse is that the (ruined) appliance was badly contructed and couldn't work anyway. Or his explanations are so vague you can't make head or tale of it. Putting screws through electronica is usually his way of fixing things. It has become a bit of a running gag in our house to ask if there's a screw through something that pépé handled.

You need my granma behind him to watch him and hound him to delever proper work! She's scary when she's angry and she gets angry at granddad often and quickly. But he relishes it to upset her like that. Quite a couple, those two.

Still got to upload the photos to this computer, but there are some very nice ones of which I am very proud. I even managed to photograph a rare and elusive butterfly that I've been wanting to catch ever since I started nature photography and over which my dad, an amateur entomologist, still waxes poetical.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #443
Mari
Elf Lady

Earn! Welcome back!!!

Your grandfather sounds a bit like mine. As stubborn as a mule and never wrong *shakes head*

My grandmother had pancakes for me when I finished working. And when I came home just now I made myself a footbath, so now my feet are being massaged.
I think I had a pretty wild night last night though, because I have several small cuts and less small bruises on my legs and hands. Gaaah, my foot hurts! >_<
*is lounging on the sofa, looking exhausted*
So... can I ask anyone for a cup of tea? Or lemonade? Or icetea? Or water? Or... ANYTHING drinkable!?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #444
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Welcome back Earn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! *huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge HUGGLES!!!!!!*

*sigh* Our house is completely improperly stocked with food, which I suspect is because my mom just doesn't care any more. I've been having difficulty finding things to eat for breakfast besides toast, and lunch is usually either having to go through a process (i.e. cooking rice/beans, or having to cook something) because she's been slacking on buying salad things/sandwich things, and it's been ages since she's bought easily edible fruit (apples, bananas, etc. Now she buys peaches and things that are difficult to take with you as a snack) and we're also out of any kind of fruit recently..

So I'm trying to figure out what to make for dinner today. *twiddles thumbs* I'm working from 2-11 p.m. so I'll need something for dinner that I can take with me. Gee it would be great if we had some APPLES .

Right now though I'll just take some tea ^_^.

Last edited by Tessar : 07-30-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #445
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Welcome back, Earn!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #446
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

*psst, Tessar* Why don't you do some shopping on your own nickle? And have peaches for breakfast.

Groceries are very expensive, not that she'll mention that to you, probably. And apples, being out of season, are harder to get than nice fresh peaches.

*passes out both cold and hot tea*

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 07-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #447
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I could understand if it were because things are expensive. But believe me, that has nothing to do with it. She just doesn't seem to care any more... as evidenced by the fact that if you ask her when she's planning to go to the store she usually says, "I don't know. I'm so busy."

Right. You're at home all day writing e-mails, your books, and job searching.

Also I'm doing the majority of the dishes, cleaning the bathrooms, and looking after the dogs whom she has begun -completely- ignoring. She vacuums from time to time, and is in charge of grocery shopping--the shopping being at her own request, I might add, as I have offered to take it over before.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #448
Mari
Elf Lady

Maybe she has other things on her mind. Be nice to her

*accepts the hot tea* Lovely, Sis, thank you!

I bought part 3 to 6 from the Pitty-series by Enid Blyton today. *is happily reading part 3 now with a glass of wine and some good music in the background*

Old 07-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #449
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I AM nice to her. In person . I'm just annoyed lately because I still don't feel like eating very often, but when I try to make myself it's hard to find anything .

I don't think I've ever heard of those books :d. What are they about?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #450
Mari
Elf Lady

I think the title of part 1 is: Pitty goes to boarding school
It's about an English girl who goes to boarding school and has a lot of adventures. Basically it teaches about honesty, right and wrong, character. It's fun, though they are meant for 9-12 year olds.
Just google Enid Blyton. She has written a lot of stuff. Series like these, but also adventures ( The Famous Five, the Secret Seven, etc.) and other stuff. Your local library should have some of her books as well.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #451
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I could understand if it were because things are expensive. But believe me, that has nothing to do with it. She just doesn't seem to care any more... as evidenced by the fact that if you ask her when she's planning to go to the store she usually says, "I don't know. I'm so busy."

Right. You're at home all day writing e-mails, your books, and job searching.

Also I'm doing the majority of the dishes, cleaning the bathrooms, and looking after the dogs whom she has begun -completely- ignoring. She vacuums from time to time, and is in charge of grocery shopping--the shopping being at her own request, I might add, as I have offered to take it over before.
I dunno, Tessar.

I think I'm the sweetest thing goin'...but if one of my school age or bigger children gave me attitude about the amount of cleaning, shopping, or household stuff I was up to, much less the contents of my cupboards, they might be able to expect a discussion of every sacrifice I'd ever made, starting somewhat before having to sit up third trimester every night due to insomnia and ulcer. and working through every music recital or soccer game I ever saw. When I'd finished with that, depending on my hormones, I might possibly get mean.

I think baking a loaf of bread and bringing her a cup of tea midafternoon in her favorite cup would be a more fruitful approach, but I understand that you're annoyed.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 07-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #452
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

*pours some tea for Mari and Tessar and gets some herself*

I noticed in the venting thread you fell ill during my absence, Tess. How are you now?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #453
Mari
Elf Lady

*gratefully accepts the tea*

Looking forward to the pics, Eäniel!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #454
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

*sits down with her own tea* Gosh, I'm tired. 3 months to the election. May I nap until then?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 07-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #455
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
How I wish I could cook to all of you... Perhaps someday we should put together a great moot meeting? I mean really meeting each other, as many as possible. That'd be great.

Pretty flowers, Mari. *draws Elven-style vines on his face*
Ready for war!

Mari, that mace is better sharpened with a Dwarven stone. *gives her one.*
I'm for that. Depending on where we go Money tends to be a factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
EDIT: I really would like to do an Entmoot moot some time. ^_^
Next year Summer! I will go to the US. I just will. >_< Try and stop me! o >_< O
*continues sharpening her mace with the new wetstone*
What part?
Quote:
Please tell me what use mosquitoes and wasps have, other than being food for other animals... >_<
Good question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
The idea of an insect monster reminds me of the book I'm currently reading.
Makes me think of Starship Troopers Never seen any of the movies all the way through, btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Grown-up dating is harder than high school.

*Gives Rinke crown of bravery and warm hug*
No kidding. Of course for me, grown up dating is a lot more fun tahn HS dating. Teenagers really don't give the odd and crazy girls the time of day. *has the sudden urge to kick a stuck up cheerleader's ass*

Cool looking crown
Quote:
I specialize in unique.
No kidding
Quote:
*pats Gwai, reassuringly* Bosses do that.

Anarchy rules!
At Wal-Mart!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I have returned from holiday! With a tan and inescapable sunburn, 20 books read and some 500 digital photos of (both willing and unwilling) insects, amphibians and sceneries, which will be inflicted on you all in the photography thread in less overwhelming numbers. We've come home to finding some of granddad's 'fixing'. (He watches the house in our absence but can't help himself to 'repair' some of the things we'd rather he'd not touch without supervision).

I'm still drawing water from under my aquarium while I suspect he tried to clean out the filter instead of the thing springing a leak like he insists. The way the tubes are put back together (or not put together in some case) strongly suggests grandfatherly tampering... The wooden cupboard it is standing on will no doubt be ruined for sure now. There's a screw right through the cold water handle of the tap. We will not mention the way he saw fit to repair the outlet of the dryer... But both cats have considerably fattened up and look happy enough.

And when will we be seeing some more of that writing fiction? I am still waiting for the next installment of the Ice Village, even after all this time.
Welcome back, Earnie! Glad you had fun.

Is that in WW?

Is it me or did someone turn the oven on wanting to make human cookies?
*is hot*

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 07-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #456
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
I think the title of part 1 is: Pitty goes to boarding school
It's about an English girl who goes to boarding school and has a lot of adventures. Basically it teaches about honesty, right and wrong, character. It's fun, though they are meant for 9-12 year olds.
Just google Enid Blyton. She has written a lot of stuff. Series like these, but also adventures ( The Famous Five, the Secret Seven, etc.) and other stuff. Your local library should have some of her books as well.
She wrote those quite a while back, didn't she? I guess she's not even alive any more ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 07-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #457
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

How about Maryland?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #458
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Someone say Maryland? What about Maryland?
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #459
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesabrandybuck View Post
Someone say Maryland? What about Maryland?
For a moot. Just suggestin'.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 07-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #460
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*cuddles Gwai back, along with Sis*

I went ninja.

Sore but happy.

I am; that is.

Don't think the other guy is coherent enough to feel anything at the moment.

*cuddles*
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Closed Thread