Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2003, 09:02 AM   #421
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

No, that is not quite normal. Of Galadriel wouldn't work, Galadrielo, or would it? For some reason I think you would have to double the L, and then it would mean from Galadriel.
More common would be CelebrÃ*an, yelde Galadriel. That would literally be CelebrÃ*an, daughter Galadriel. I don't think an 'of' is necessary. Plus, wouldn't the Elves know who Galadriel's daughter was, and would only use this phrase as a title?

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:28 PM   #422
Ruinel
Banned

Elves do not use possessive words when referring to their children. That is something you have to remember.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #423
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

So suppose somebody wishes to refer to CelebrÃ*an as Galadriel's daughter, then that person could say either CelebrÃ*an yelde Galadriel or CelebrÃ*an Galadriello?
Old 08-27-2003, 08:47 PM   #424
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Oh no, sorry my miscommunication. One would use CelebrÃ*an yelde Galadriel, and not the other one.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Old 08-28-2003, 04:15 AM   #425
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Ah, I see. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:59 AM   #426
Ruinel
Banned

I'll repost.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
'lenuva'??? ('shall stretch' ... but that would be lenúva, right?)
[i]Shall stretch this day upon my house summer-from out of my house. 'Country/land-lore/study' (study of your country) is Monday.

Nólelya ná úsóra. Nai polda, OrnelÃ*rë. Rato le nauva ingolmo, ar anta handë an lië.

O.o Ai, i nessanë Quendi nar alarca an quer.
I lemnar ná la otsola. I otsola ná 'n (an) Atani. I lemnar ná 'n (an) Quendi.

Man ná i aurë an i quendë man cuinanë or 7000 loar?
Old 09-03-2003, 06:41 PM   #427
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I already translated that so, my guess: Finrod Felagund? my knowledge of Tolkien is far from sterling, but you love him apparently, and I think he awoke at Cuiveinen. Or is that Thingol? Yes, it is. Well, Thingol, Finrod, Galadriel. My guesses.

Old 09-04-2003, 11:16 AM   #428
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by OrnelÃ*rë Mistë
I already translated that so, my guess: Finrod Felagund? my knowledge of Tolkien is far from sterling, but you love him apparently, and I think he awoke at Cuiveinen. Or is that Thingol? Yes, it is. Well, Thingol, Finrod, Galadriel. My guesses.
LOL! No. I was referring to myself, an Elf of about 7000 years of age. ROFLMAO
Old 09-04-2003, 11:28 AM   #429
cian
Enting

CelebrÃ*an and Galadriel are Sindarin in any case. Narn i Chîn Húrin 'Tale of the Children of Húrin' seems to imply that the simple word order genitive might be permissable to denote a similar familial relationship.

Perhaps then sell Galadriel might do for 'daughter of Galadriel' ~ using Ardalambion's current suggested Sindarin wordlist sell (or iell) 'daughter'

In Quenya the genitive case is seen with familial relationships. Note expert Helge Fauskanger's example i arano yondor 'the King's sons'.

Of possible interest: at the time Tolkien wrote the Shibboleth of Feanor Quenya Altariel is said (therein) to be a 'Quenyarized' form of Telerin Alatáriel(le), though its true form would have been Ñaltariel

¤

Last edited by cian : 09-04-2003 at 11:38 AM.
cian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:40 PM   #430
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Galadriel, (Aalatariel or ~Nalataringe^lle I think) was Noldor. Earniel didn't specify a language. I need to pick up Sindarin! Love the mutations!Thanks very much for you insights, though!

Old 09-04-2003, 10:05 PM   #431
cian
Enting

Quote:
Galadriel, (Aalatariel or ~Nalataringe^lle I think) was Noldor. Earniel didn't specify a language. I need to pick up Sindarin! Love the mutations!Thanks very much for you insights, though!
Actually I mean the names are Sindarin in form (why I italicized them), I wasn't referring to clan. So the language was already chosen in a sense, and why I posted a suggestion with Sindarin sell

Note Tolkien's Quenya Namárië. Altariello Nainië Lóriendessë ~ 'Farewell. Galadriel's Lament in Lórien'

¤
cian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 12:31 PM   #432
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

yes, altariel is a shorter, commoner form. whoops, didnt read the whole post. wont do that again

Old 09-06-2003, 07:48 PM   #433
Ruinel
Banned

ehem.... quetaelme?
Old 09-06-2003, 11:49 PM   #434
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

we speak? is there a need for the e in there?

Old 09-07-2003, 02:54 PM   #435
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
we speak? is there a need for the e in there?
I was trying for the -ing ending, as in 'we speaking'? but I guess that didn't come out right.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:30 PM   #436
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Oh, "us speaking". Quetealme. I get what you were saying, but I don't know what you mean.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:12 PM   #437
Ruinel
Banned

-lme is either us or we, right?

So I was trying to ask... are we still speaking? ... But sort of short hand.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:24 PM   #438
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Tancave! Haryan estel quetalme. Laa istan man quete, le? Naas i yesse 'school'o. Uu-melin 'teacher'nya rénalestie.

Rénalestie is a word I invented for geometry. It comes from (not surprisingly) to measure land. Lesta= to measure, réna= border, and I put lesta in a gerund form. It's very clumsy and has a lot of syllables. I could have done measure land, but it doesn't work as well.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:03 PM   #439
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yay for original thought!

But I wonder: Couldn't you have used 'measured shapes' (lestievenwë)? I would think that applies more to geometry.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 09-08-2003 at 10:12 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:52 PM   #440
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Thank you!True, but geometry comes from Latin land (geo, sounds like geography) and to measure (metry sounds like measure). Or according to Dictionary.com.
Shape, cut is venwë. Venwelestie, nice sounding.