Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #421
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You have to wait another? Geen deliberatie, geen herexamen mogelijk? That does suck, Mari. *hugs*
Old 12-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #422
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Thanks I had a nice cry, watched E.T. and ate griesmeelpudding. I'm fine
I'll just have to wait another year to graduate then unless I get a C on my retake which is not going to happen, but I'm gonna try anyway!.
一生懸命で頑張ります!
You can retake? We'll help. pm me if you want to do it in email. If not, we'll do it here.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #423
Mari
Elf Lady

No, I get to do a retake, but I'm never going to pass that. You see, this grade is based on 5 mini-exams. You have to learn around 400 chinese characters or combinations for each of those exams and you have to learn them two ways.
So every test you have to get an average of 11 points. The first three (10, 11 and 12,5) went okay, but the last two went very bad. Today I needed to get 9,5 points to pass, but I got only 9.
So for the retake you'll have to learn 2000 characters and combinations times 2 and pass that. And I just can't seem to get them in my head no matter what study-method I use, how often I write them out or how many times I repeat them. Last time I passed the course with a 5,55. This time I fail with a 5,45.
I do like the irony of it.
But don't worry, I'm going to work real hard for the retake. Thanks for your support everyone, I could use it

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...

Last edited by Mari : 12-12-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:52 AM   #424
BeardofPants
the Shrike

That sounds hideously complicated. Sorry you didn't pass - sounds like you only missed by a slim margin which is even more frustrating, I'm sure.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:57 AM   #425
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
No, I get to do a retake, but I'm never going to pass that. You see, this grade is based on 5 mini-exams. You have to learn around 400 chinese characters or combinations for each of those exams and you have to learn them two ways.
So every test you have to get an average of 11 points. The first three (10, 11 and 12,5) went okay, but the last two went very bad. Today I needed to get 9,5 points to pass, but I got only 9.
So for the retake you'll have to learn 2000 characters and combinations times 2 and pass that. And I just can't seem to get them in my head no matter what study-method I use, how often I write them out or how many times I repeat them. Last time I passed the course with a 5,55. This time I fail with a 5,45.
I do like the irony of it.
But don't worry, I'm going to work real hard for the retake. Thanks for your support everyone, I could use it
Go, Mari! We've got your back.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 12-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #426
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*hugs 'n stuff for people with school woes*

That chem teacher - that's just wrong!

Best wishes for your retake, Mari! You never know - give it a go!

Vent - this entire year Moved to a place that I've always hated, and now I have a monster flu-bug, and my foot that I hurt 8 weeks ago (the accident with my son's wheelchair that tore off my big toenail) is still hurting - apparently it did more damage than we realized. The MRI came back negative - no visible bone/muscle/ligament/tendon damage, so it's "just" nerve damage - but why isn't it healing? There's obviously something that is still damaging the nerve that doesn't show up on a static image I hate not being able to walk

I've done close to an all-nighter, Sis, but never the whole tamale. Those last few hours were just not worth it - it was more profitable for me to just sleep a few hours. Why did you aaaask, precious?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 12-13-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #427
Nautipus
Kraken King

Oh man, Rian.

That's really just not a good time. Have you gotten a second opinion? Sometimes it just takes a second look. When I tore a ligament off of my ankle, the first doctor missed it, but the guy we went to next spotted it, so maybe try for another MRI somewhere else.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 12-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #428
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That's a good idea, Nautipus - I'm glad you found someone that found the problem for you. Maybe I"ll have to do that, too. I guess I just thought for sure that an MRI would show the problem, but it's good to hear that it's not always the case. All I can go on is how the foot feels, and it's bad, and not improving. SOMETHING is continuing to irritate the nerve somewhere EVERY time I step on it. I wish there was some kind of dynamic imaging available. I get this snapping sensation every time I step on the foot, and of course that doesn't happen during a static MRI

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #429
Nautipus
Kraken King

Try this website.

I hear it's pretty good at helping diagnose things, but have you seen a pediatrician? I have a friend who is graduating from podiatry school soon, I'll ask her about you symptoms, if you dont mind.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 12-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #430
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*huuuuuuge hugs for Rian*

I know eight weeks is a long time, but for something like nerve damage isn't it actually not that long? I know my mom injured a nerve in her shoulder, and it took years for her to regain complete use of her shoulder... she did a lot of yoga type things to help stretch it out the last year or so, and she eventually regained full mobility without having pain.

But duuuuuuuuuuuuuude. *wince*... *more hugs*
Old 12-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #431
Rían

Go ahead and ask, Nautipus - I'm getting desperate! Yes, I'm seeing a podiatrist (I think that's what you meant?) but I'm about ready to get a second opinion if he doesn't come up with anything soon. I'm waiting for him to see the MRI (so far, only the radiologist has seen it) then I'll decide, I guess.

Tessar, the doc said 6-8 weeks for nerve damage in the foot - the thing that worries me is that it isn't getting better - I see zero improvement, except that the nerve pain up the side of the leg is pretty much gone now. IT's all localized in the foot.

And now the flu is overtaking me again ... bye *headdesk*

Last edited by Rían : 12-13-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:29 AM   #432
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
First, a poll. Who here has ever pulled an all-nighter to finish a paper, study for a test, or prepare a project for work? Anyone?
Never. I don't think I've ever stayed up later than two or two thirty. At a certain point, I can't really absorb any more material, and I'm only to damage my grades with sleep-deprivation, so I'm better to sleep for four or five hours (or usually six, actually), and get up and study more before my exam (which is invariably at 9AM for the last two years, so I can basically just review then).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I have post-grad in Geography
WHAT...is the capital of Assyria?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 12-14-2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #433
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh very funneh. I did ancient history too, y'know. Assur.

I should clarify that it's GIS geography/cartography/satellite schtuff and that I'm hopeless with places.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #434
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Awww, I wanted to make biscuits but we're out of flour, yeast, and only have one stick of butter left.

I would just run out and get what we need, but my dog is being extremely clingy today and I don't want to lock her up in her kennel and leave her alone for the half hour it would probably take me to get all of the stuff.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #435
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You put yeast into your biscuits? O.o That must taste weird.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #436
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I was gonna make 'em from scratch because I know for certain that we don't have any bisquick mix. The cooking sites I found all called for yeast.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #437
Rían

Real biscuits don't have yeast! *smacks Tessar with flour-y hands and makes a nice white cloud*

Rolls usually have yeast, though.

Here's my Southern Grandma's recipe:

1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (add 1 Tbl. cider vinegar to regular milk, let stand a few minutes)
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Prepare sour milk, let stand while doing everything else. Put flour in a bowl, add powder, soda and salt and lightly mix. Add milk and Crisco to the flour mix, blend lightly. Turn out onto floured board (it will be very sticky). Lightly work in additional flour (depending upon the weather, about 1/2 cup or so) until dough is just right (sorry, this is just experience - basically not sticky, but not dry, either. Shouldn't stick on your hands like it does at first.)

Press out and cut into size desired. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes, depending if you like them doughier or more cooked.

Great with honey and butter!

As with any biscuit, the less you handle it, the better. It's a great recipe, and usually everything is on hand, so give it a try

Old 12-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #438
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh! You talkin' 'bout those yankee biscuits? I thought you was talkin' cookies.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #439
Rían

Oh, that's right - I furgot we got furriners* on dis heah board!

Crisp, anyone?

*with thanks to IRex for his fun spelling

Old 12-15-2007, 04:48 AM   #440
Mari
Elf Lady

Cookies!!! I like cookies! I like anything edible!!!
Okay, that's enough exclamation marks...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Closed Thread