Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 06:11 AM   #421
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
And you MUST use the expression "Resistance is futile!" at least once in the game thread!
I will try, though it sounds more like Lilly.

Quote:
Say - we gotta get you going in the game. You know... I hear there's an opening for a waitress at a charming little riverside place called The Red Herring!
We of the Line of Elros do not fall that low... Gordis a waitress!!!
Nay, Val, rpg-Gordis (Aiwendis) has other duties. She is terribly busy right now...But I promise, you will meet her soon.

Re: names. Perfect, Val! If I may express my opinion, I would have picked Martumir and Raendil

But it's up to you, Shah!

Lotesse I liked your last post, but I think Viv must realize, that the odour of Morgul Flowers, though certainly delicious and most alluring for us, nazgul, curiously seems unpleasant and even sickening to mortals. Those stupid mortals...So she would hardly use that perfume before going to a public reception.
It is like Rian's elf smell disgusts Lilly (I loved this concept, CS!). Remember LOTR. "they smell the blood of living things desiring and hating it"

Last edited by Gordis : 09-13-2005 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:39 AM   #422
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Now the BIG one:
...What I think all players in this game have to realize, is that we have a group of players in the game who have already been role-playing Nazguls in other games. They have invested themselves into these characters and begun to get a feel for how they like to play them. That has its good points and its bad points - one of the good is obviously a lot of fun for those playing them. One bad point I can think of is that it can easily become a 'closed' group.

For this game to work, one of two things has to happen. Either the rest of us must allow those who have been playing Nazguls to play them exactly as they have been playing them. Or else, those playing Nazguls must be willing to allow different kinds of things to happen. And - if that latter, we need to decide just how different.

I'm a continuity buff myself. If I play in a Middle-earth role-playing game, I want it to 'feel' like Tolkien's Middle-earth. Not everyone is like that. Perhaps that was something we should have discussed early in setting up some groundrules...
What you say, Val, makes imminent sense. Indeed, some ground rules and concepts should be set, made PUBLIC and AGREED UPON. Then, no new player should be accepted in this particular RPG, before he reads and accepts the rules. Something like "Read the rules and sign here". If he wants to change them - please, propose the changes and wait for all other players to approve.
The one who breaches the Rules will be asked to edit his/her posts or quit.
I think it is only fair.

Now I see a technical problem. As Lief pointed out, it is hard for a new player to read ALL the DISCUSSION thread. (BTW, I still believe that to read ALL the MAIN thread is an absolute MUST). But the Discussion thread is very long and contains a lot of chat, sidenotes, what's not, not an easy thing to read.
Therefore I ask our Lord and Lady Moderators to open a third thread for this, really very complex, RPG. It will be the CONCEPTUAL THREAD - just these groundrules and main concepts I described above. I propose to Val to re-post the opening of the game there, the timeline, place, brief info on real Arnor and RPG-Arnor etc. As it is to be a serious info thread, some quotes from the Appendices would help greatly. A link to a map would be great as well. When BB finishes collecting the CAST pictures, the cast poster will go to the conceptual thread as well as character bios. The current vacancies may be announced there as well.
I propose to post my Nazgul concept there in full. Then we can discuss it in the Discussion thread keeping the "Conceptual" thread short and empty of chat. Some edits in the concepts will be done, new ideas added. When we agree on the concept, it will become a law. And Every newbie in this RPG will be asked to READ this new thread and "sign" it.

What say ye?
Gordis

Last edited by Gordis : 09-13-2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:14 AM   #423
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-14-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #424
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

I ask all the players of this RPG just forget the matter and discuss it no longer.

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 09-14-2005 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Edited following King's Val request
Old 09-13-2005, 11:07 AM   #425
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Loteese, you seem to have trouble with the concept that when your post has been deleted you need to speak with the admin about -why- it was deleted before reposting it.

My guess is that Val. deleted yours because you point-blank insulted Lief, while Lief didn't name any names.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #426
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
OK - little ones first:

For "Marty" - 'mar' = dwelling - so I was thinking possibly:
Martellumar = Domes of Dwelling
Marthalion = Strong Dwelling
Martolion = Island Dweller
Martumir = Valley Dweller
Martauron = Forest Dweller
I personally think that Martauron is the best, but as Grdis said it's Shah's choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val
My sincere apologies to true Elven scholars if I'm mistranslating - I'm just taking literal meanings of prefixes, suffixes, syllables, etc from "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth" by Ruth S Noel.
I have that exact same book. It's where I got the translation for my name from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val
For "Ray" - 'raen' = wander - so how about:
Raendil = Friend to Wanderers
Raenbor or Raencam = same meaning as one another I think, but I won't say what it is yet. (good though... very good! ).
I like Raendil aswell. Val, I think they do both mean the same thing more or less.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 09-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #427
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

... right, i for one have read ALL the discussion thread ... nothing new there heh?

Blimey ... when i first joined the Moot i read all the drunken wine thieves disucssion threrad, hoping to join ... ages later i happened to notice it had been going a year already ... and decided to leave it ...

but that's just me.

SO: before i go read the rpg (as the fellowship may know i usually do it that order) ..

and before i do anything else: i am going to go get a very large and Cold beer!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #428
CrazySquirrel

Great that you are back, BB.
Belated congratulations on your Birthday!

I think your Widow was a bittle neglected, but she did manage to publish an article on Lilly's rescue in the Society column.
Where is our Beautiful Boumerang? We missed him!
Hope you like my posts about Lilly.
CS
Old 09-13-2005, 12:46 PM   #429
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

... i hope she is o.k. (ain't read it yet) ... i ain't got that many walking characters ...
Old 09-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #430
CrazySquirrel

The Widow? She is as good as new. Nobody touched her (yet?)

About characters. I think there is still a lot of unguided characters, all the King's entourage to fill... and we lack Mor, Goth and Eight...
Old 09-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #431
CrazySquirrel

I have forgotten to mention that LadyLilly needs a lady's-maid (100% human, mind you). Plenty of opportunity for exiting chat with Rian.

And a butler and 2 house servants and 2 stable-boys.
Then Annawen needs guidance badly.

Could you BB, or anyone else willing to take these at least temporarily?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:09 PM   #432
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

I've been hesitating on story-post in part because I'll admit I've been kinda unsure what exactly an archchancellor means - also, Gordis are we wraiths in the know as to the true identity of the archchancellor - is he gonna be who I think? I just don't want to screw the story up if i post something ignorant-sounding. It's stressing me out! Pluis right now I have to get ready 4 my doc appt., gotta go but I'll be back later on today. CS, if you feel like it you can speak 4 Viv right now to follow on Gordis's lead; if not I'll be back this afternoon...

Here's what I found online about chancellors; is this what is meant for our archchancellor guy?
http://65.66.134.201/cgi-bin/webster...828=chancellor

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #433
CrazySquirrel

Yes, our Arch-Chancellor is there. Look for the Chancellor of the University.
The Head of the Uni.
University of South Arnor is not so big as Oxford or Cambridge, I believe, so our chancellor will have some spare time from signing the diplomas.
Perhaps he even gives some lectures, eh, Gordis?

And no, we have no idea who he is, Gor made that clear.
I will post now with your permission, I will not sit long today.
CS
Old 09-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #434
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

heh guys ... .. well i am working my way through it .. shall have alot to post here this night ...

(some-one's got to keep Shah busy reading , heh?)

firstly though, Lotesse .. the scene with old mrs W at the house ... the point there was only to get a good pr story for marty and ray ... to help them become "official" minders to rpg or "randy' val ...

any chance you could edit a good damsel in distress rescued story in ? ... keep the rest though it's another good sub plot!

anyway ..you could use the article to put a good society cover story out there for you guys, too.

OLD CRONE? who said that - i can't remember? I see old mrs W as a tolkien world version of granny weatherwax (meets nanny Ogg)
but a tharbad tolkien version, of course!

CS: thanks for the offer of being a lady's maid ... but one female character will do just for now! ... ask TD .. he can do excellent voices and falsettos

best all, BB

Quote:
Marty was silently shocked, "Sauron's Balls! Ray can FLIRT! Why, that brick, I never knew he had it in him...and he is doing a damn fine job of it too! With quite the woman to tangle with no less!"
well, so far that has to be my quote of the week: "sauron's balls!"

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-13-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:54 PM   #435
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

CS:
Quote:
Did he feel the same silent mysterious call as she and Five did? Apparently so… Indeed it must be so, as Vivvi was there also. So... were all the others coming too? WHO has called them and WHY? Or were they also after the Ruling Ring? At this thought, a cold shiver ran down Lilly's spine. Will we have to fight each other over the Ring? There was no friendship in the shadow of the One. Only fire and pain and madness...
Like it! .. in the shadow of the One ... only fire, pain and madness ...

who indeed has made this mysterious call (and why? ) ... winked OOC Beautiful Boomerang ... whistling on the wind

eh Gor!

edit: ref the rescue story, gor ...? post #68 ...we need that to be written first!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-13-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #436
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
It is incredibly unfair that Lief gets to say whatever he wants to and about me, yet my defense gets auto-erased ... O.K. then very seriously I will find my own words with which to defend myself, as everyone no doubt by now thinks that I am the one Lief is referring to.
Lotesse! *moothug* Hold on there, girlfriend!
Lief mentioned no names, and I, for one, did NOT think he was referring to you.
I like BOTH of you guys, and can see BOTH sides, plus I see some misunderstandings, which I'm in the midst of trying to clear up, because I think once they are explained, most of this disagreement will evaporate.

I can totally understand your desire to defend yourself. False accusations are a terrible thing (and I think both of you have made them, but not intentionally; rather, they've been based on wrong info). But as I said, I truly think that once several misunderstandings that I've found are cleared up, the problems will be sorted out, too.

Quote:
And I love this RPG, and have no intentions of leaving it ...
You may not have a choice - sorry! - because if this goes on much longer, the thread will be closed down. SO - I'll be back online for a coupla hours, and I'll have a PM to you shortly explaining the first misunderstanding, and we'll see if we can keep the rpg from being shut down. In the meantime, would you please consider removing the rest of your post? (save it in case you want to put it back up again, but seriously, I think this thread is teetering on the edge of a lockdown and it might be best to remove it.)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:14 PM   #437
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I just don't want to screw the story up if i post something ignorant-sounding. It's stressing me out!
yeah, I get stressed, too!! History and geography are my weak points, and altho I've read many of the HoME books (History of Middle Earth) and can discuss the finer points of Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth at great length (in fact, I started a thread on it - we should reopen it!), I am TOTALLY at sea when it comes to what region is near what or when it was time-wise. *sigh*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:28 PM   #438
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

why would this rpg be closed down?
that does'nt make any sense whatsover.

you do get disagreements in rpg ... i, too like both involved!

valandil:
Quote:
(slight rewind in time)

Mental illness is sad among any of the free peoples of Middle Earth, but somehow it seemed particularly tragic among Elves... perhaps owing to the great majesty they could have... or perhaps the fact that they were culturally in complete denial over the whole mental illness thing anyway... sad indeed.
... no need to bother the REAL Lord High Chamberlain about this... good thing he had remembered the address on the 'Help Wanted' ad for the household servant). "As for me, I must be off! Guard... show me the way!"
no need to bother the REAL Lord High Chamberlain about this... good thing he had remembered the address on the 'Help Wanted' ad for the household servant). "As for me, I must be off! Guard... show me the way!"[/QUOTE]

mmm.. infectious this double posting

maybe we could have the whole haunted houshold staff as mad Elves! some of the mental elf's associates? ... would explain why they might not notice anything odd?? and there's rian turning a blind eye to many many things as part of the job, and having to culturally turn a blind eye on that lot!

she could assign a particularly incompetent or doo-lalley elf to the laundry section! (you gotta have some one who is easily distracted for the laundry Rian! )

The Naz could have fun with some mentally deranged elf servants! ...they'd have to do something about the smell though....

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-13-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:49 PM   #439
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
maybe we could have the whole haunted houshold staff as mad Elves! some of the mental elf's associates? ... would explain why they might not notice anything odd?? and there's rian turning a blind eye to many many things as part of the job, and having to culturally turn a blind eye on that lot!

she could assign a particularly incompetent or doo-lalley elf to the laundry section! (you gotta have some one who is easily distracted for the laundry Rian! )

The Naz could have fun with some mentally deranged elf servants! ...they'd have to do something about the smell though....
There was only ONE mad elf, BB. And Lilly will not stand another elf in the house, mad or not. She said specifically, NO ELVES! The only good elf is a dead elf!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #440
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

yeah well i just read that no more elves stuff ... funny idea though! I was just enjoying val's lighter side.

anyway, we are not elves ...why should we be socially conditioned to not see the truth of the many many mentally ill elves roaming around ... there could be loads of em' ... ... where do you think he got the 1,000 signatures???

elves .... mad the lot of them! (only kidding!)

btw: you only been in this house couple of days yes/no? it needs cleaning and staff etc yup ... but 2 weeks worth of washing up to do???

also use of language could be a bit tighter all round ...eg Shah: Valandil "hey you guys" etc ... maybe "well met, merry rogues" or something better?

what do you reckon all?

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-13-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Closed Thread