Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #421
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I don't think so, remember Muggles aren't wealthy and have no foreknowledge they'll need money for school.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #422
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Doesn't it say in the first book that Harry have to pay something to go to Hogwarts? Maybe it didn't.

Another thing I've been thinking, is that maybe, when book 7 starts, Harry has already been to the Dursleys, and have got one with his hunt for the horcruxes. I'm not really sure if he'll be back at Hogwarts, not when the schoolyear starts anyway. He has to get back to the school sometimes troughout the year, I agree, but I think it will be only a short stay. It would be cool if the whole thing ended at Hogwarts, Harry discovering that Gryffindors sword is the last horcrux, and hurries back to Hogwarts to find Voldemort waiting for him.
This is jsut theories I have, and I'm looking forward to see if I'm at least somewhat right.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #423
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I read the book again last month and saw the movie again over this weekend, it never mentions it; only that he needed money to buy books and supplies.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #424
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Actually, you're probably right. I was thinking of what Uncle Vernon said: "I'm not paying for some crackpot old fool to teach him magic tricks!" Since Hagrid lost his temper right then, the issue was never resolved... But it never mentions that the Weasleys have to pay for anything but books and supplies.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #425
azalea
Long lost mooter

Thanks for the info re: all are accepted. I suppose that makes sense, but then not all will finish or make their OWLs or NEWts.
I do think there is a tuition, but also as we saw in book 6 when Ddore meets Tom Riddle, he says something like we can help those who can't pay (lent book out so I can't look up that part).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:59 PM   #426
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

in HBP, DD says to TR that they have a fund for non-magical children.
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #427
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

non-magical? You mean without magical parents?

Segovia Mazes
Old 12-15-2005, 11:57 AM   #428
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

I don't think you have to pay to go to Hogwarts because: a) they seek you out and invite you... b) Harry's letter would have said something in S.S if he needed money for more then him books and supplies and c) Dumbledore told Riddles Headmistress at the orphanage that he had 'won a Scholorship'- just so she didn't need to question as much.
Merenwen Vardamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #429
azalea
Long lost mooter

I guess the only other option is that the ministry supports the school financially, which is why they have so much influence over it.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:02 PM   #430
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Well, the only expenses for Hogwarts would be the employees' salaries and some pieces of equipment like potions ingredients, plants, and other things or creatures used for classes. There wouldn't be any property tax or other expenses, and we know from Mrs. Weasley that you can make food out of nothing. Slughorn says his salary is not very high, so probably none of the teachers get paid much, or Filch, Madame Pince, Madame Pomfrey, or Hagrid before he became a teacher (did he get a raise?). They probably get contributions from wealthy wizarding families, and there might be a wizarding tax that pays Hogwarts teachers... I don't know how it would be collected, though. There has to be some tax to pay the Ministry employees, doesn't there?

Segovia Mazes
Old 12-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #431
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i never understood why wizards need money, besides the stuff you just named....how can they have resturants?!?!you can magic food!!
----------------
Old 12-16-2005, 11:49 AM   #432
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
i never understood why wizards need money, besides the stuff you just named....how can they have resturants?!?!you can magic food!!
it does seem that if you could conjuer things out of midair- money would be pointless, but they can't conjuer everything.... And they might like to go out and be waited on and go to Wizarding Events. Money and the betterment of life is the American dream.....
Merenwen Vardamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:25 PM   #433
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

It has nothing to do with America. They have restaurants because some people just aren't good cooks! And witches and wizards specialize in different types of magic, so they pay others to do what they aren't so good at. For example, Fred & George's prank items are really an art. Nobody else could come up with them.

Segovia Mazes
Old 12-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #434
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Let's not forget "house elves" as they do much of the cooking, etc. and never get paid.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:27 PM   #435
azalea
Long lost mooter

I know Mrs. Weasley cooks a lot, but I'm not sure what that looks like. I think they have to put the stuff together, but they can magic stuff like peeling potatoes. I can't imagine how the acquisition of food is achieved, but if they have to go shop for books and robes, I imagine they also shop for food. It's probably regulated or something.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #436
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

"She slammed a large copper saucepan down on the kitchen table and began to wave her wand around inside it. A creamy sauce poured from the wand tip as she stirred."
Sounds like creating food out of nothing to me, but maybe it's harder for more complicated foods.

Segovia Mazes
Old 12-21-2005, 10:17 PM   #437
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i concur
----------------
Old 12-31-2005, 04:31 PM   #438
King of The Istari
Elven Warrior

Location: Some where quite interesting with psychedelic trees
Well Back to Book 7:

I believe that dumbledore will have some contact to harry, most likely through his portrait, I believe he won't help harry with Voldemort or the horcruxes but teach him some of the things he needs to know to beat the enchantments set upon the resting places of the horcruxes and how to destroy them
I can't see any other way he could get this infomation and I think ADD is the only character who could teach harry these things with any credibility

Regarding snape I believe we are all expecting him to be good and turn Voldy and this i what s most likely to happen but I wouldn't mind him just being darn right evil.
I also want him to be evil because I don't like the idea of him killing a defencless dumbledore and then later on saying Dumbledore told me or I killed him but I'm still good.

I think Godrics Hollow will play an intresting part in Book 7 for that will be the first time Harry has seen his old house or visited his parent's graves I think something there may help him on his quest to kill voldemort.

and Finally I WANT A HAPPY ENDING I don't think I could stand Harry being killed off at the end of Book seven, people have been with this character for seven long books and many people includng myself would be able to enjoy rereading the books and watching the films knowing Harry is going to do The Matrix thing and sacrefice himself for the rest of the wizarding world even if it does bring around Voldemort's downfall.

PS. has anyone noticed that the place that the Potters lived "godrics Hollow" is named after gryfndor

And what happened to the rest of your party, killed, eaten, gone home?
Beorn, The Hobbit

Dark and difficult Times lie ahead Harry, soon we must all face a choice, a choice between what is right and what is easy!
Dumbledore

Neo Are you listening to Me? Or are you too busy looking at the Woman in the Red Dress?
Morpheus, The Matrix
King of The Istari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:58 PM   #439
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

[QUOTE=King of The Istari]Well Back to Book 7:....and Finally I WANT A HAPPY ENDING. I don't think I could stand Harry being killed off at the end of Book seven, people have been with this character for seven long books and many people includng myself would be able to enjoy rereading the books and watching the films knowing Harry is going to do The Matrix thing and sacrefice himself for the rest of the wizarding world even if it does bring around Voldemort's downfall..../QUOTE]

Me, too. I just won't be able to bear it if Harry is killed off. Don't think I will ever want to read the books again if that happens. Mind you, this is from someone who has read the books every year at least once, and again right before reading each new book when it is published. It seems a bit silly -- it is fiction after all -- but I care about these characters.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #440
inked
Elf Lord

cee2lee2, How did you like Deathly Hallows and all the deaths there? And what about Harry's demise?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote