Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #421
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

So apparently to "bulk up" I should be eating about 3,500-4,200 calories a day... and when I stuff myself I usually get to about 2,700ish, and often don't go much over 1,200 because I get involved in other things and forget to eat. Which means I should be drinking protein shakes, and those things are SO freaking disgusting.... gross to the max.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I can't decide what to wear for tonight's recital. I have it narrowed down to the shoes, the pants, and the shirt... but I can't decide between four different ties, or whether I should do glasses or no glasses.

............tune in next week for other fairy news... It kills me that I can't stop caring about what to wear tonight, because really it's not important. But I do care. Frustrating. I think I'm just using this as a distraction so that I don't have to think about the recital itself. Remind me to pick something less dumb to worry about next time.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #422
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I can't decide what to wear for tonight's recital. I have it narrowed down to the shoes, the pants, and the shirt... but I can't decide between four different ties, or whether I should do glasses or no glasses.
My boss used to wear glasses when he went to town to go shopping for clothes - he would get more respectful treatment then.

Quote:
I think I'm just using this as a distraction so that I don't have to think about the recital itself. Remind me to pick something less dumb to worry about next time.
Remember to tell us when next time is

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #423
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Tell me about it. Even if I'm just going out for a beer with a friend, I have a minor "what should I wear" panic attack.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #424
katya
Elven Maiden

Me too! It comes down to the fact that I have almost NO clothes that I actually like and are comfortable and appropriate for the occasion and have stuff to match them. It's awful. This is why uniforms are so appealing.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #425
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Tessar and Gwai, is it that you have too few choices as to what to wear, or too many?

I sympathise with Katya's concerns and am myself in a period of wardrobe-renewal to minimise similar predicaments.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #426
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I seem to live in jeans & tees... even for work. Summer, I might drag out the odd summer dress. I hope that when I'm living in the states, I'll at least be able to wear slightly more formal clothes. Guess it depends on what job I end up getting though.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #427
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Being old and married and living in the tropics...
Khaki shorts, polo shirts, and sandals- work and play, day and evening, summer and winter...except those two or three weeks in winter when it's cold enough to switch to long pants. I think I have a pair of socks around somewhere....

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #428
katya
Elven Maiden

My clothing situation is complicated by the fact that I have to dress up a bit for work, and there's not a whole lot of overlap between my work clothes and my street clothes. Although I am wearing jeans to work today. Also, even if I try to wear "jeans and a t-shirt", my preferred style, I don't have enough t-shirts that I like. Either they're too big and frumpy, too short, too tight, I don't like the picture (this applies to my best fitting t-shirts without exception), etc.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #429
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Tessar and Gwai, is it that you have too few choices as to what to wear, or too many?

I sympathise with Katya's concerns and am myself in a period of wardrobe-renewal to minimise similar predicaments.
It's not that I have a ton of clothes, I just buy things that I know will go with the things I already own.... so even though I don't have a ton of clothes, they almost all go together. So I have a lot of options as far as combinations go.

Usually I'm just a t-shirt and jeans guy... I don't tend to care, although I used to. I made myself stop caring so much.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #430
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
... and am myself in a period of wardrobe-renewal to minimise similar predicaments.
(just struck me funny! Love the wording! "Sorry folks, but Jonathan will be in late today; he's in a period of wardrobe-renewal ... " )

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
My clothing situation is complicated by the fact that I have to dress up a bit for work, and there's not a whole lot of overlap between my work clothes and my street clothes. Although I am wearing jeans to work today. Also, even if I try to wear "jeans and a t-shirt", my preferred style, I don't have enough t-shirts that I like. Either they're too big and frumpy, too short, too tight, I don't like the picture (this applies to my best fitting t-shirts without exception), etc.
That's how it was with me. I was in engineering and had to give technical presentations to U.S. and overseas military ppls, and had to wear dressy suits - very different from my preferred street clothes. But I enjoyed it - it's fun dressing up! Now, I basically live in capris and nice little tees, and a hoodie when it's a bit cooler, plus flip-flops - love 'em!

A couple of casual skirts can be very useful - esp. black. Perhaps try some solid skirts, then you can put pretty much anything on top? For church or going out, I wear a skirt with a little tee or sweater top and dressier flip-flops or little sandals (or casual pumps in the winter) and use just a little jewelry to dress it up a bit more - very comfy and pretty. My skirts are below the knee, and fitted up higher but very flowy and loose lower so they're very easy and comfortable to move around in. Jeans skirts are also nice, and will go with anything. Good luck!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-27-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #431
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I think it's time I point you all to the Teacup thread. Not nearly enough venting in this thread right now.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #432
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm angry that Earniel is kicking us out of the venting thread.

Happy now?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #433
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Too many button downs and jackets, not enough sweaters and tees. Until a couple of weeks ago, I only had two sweaters that weren't lumpy-ugly-things that made me look like an old dowager, but I've padded the collection to an acceptable level.

*glances at Earniel* So . . . yeah, my vent that is "too much of some, not enough of the other."

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #434
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Vent - clothes that you really like and were a good price, but don't last long thru washing and drying ... Are things just made more cheaply nowadays?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #435
katya
Elven Maiden

I've been wondering the same thing I remember I went to Meijers and I was looking at some tables and bureaus, and I thought how low quality they were, but they looked pretty only. I wondered if things were always made that low quality and it's just the well-built stuff that survived, or if standards are getting lower. Probably both, I think. But I'm really happy with my old wood table and chairs. From ReStore and flea market, respectively.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #436
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Vent - clothes that you really like and were a good price, but don't last long thru washing and drying ... Are things just made more cheaply nowadays?
Mostly, yes. Cheaper prices =stuff made in China, Bangla Desh etc.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:24 AM   #437
Mari
Elf Lady

I was nearly killed by one of my groups of students yesterday. Advised strategy for tomorrow: Order them to cease and desist, issue a final warning then kill them off one by one. Oh, and don't give them time to think.
I can do that

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #438
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!! !1!!!1!!!!!!!!!11 !@^# &^*( #! )(*& #$% (*&^%$#!!!!!!

>.<
Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #439
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Eh? Wassamatter?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #440
Mari
Elf Lady

*gives Tess a bowling bowl inside a fluffy cuddly teddybear* Suitable for whacking and/or hugging. Whichever you need most.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote