Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 01:55 AM   #421
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Quote:
1. Are Tharbad citizens prone to gossip?
Yes. To some extent...

Quote:
2. Do you agree that the acquisition of Orrodel by foreigners, firing an Elf housekeeper after 2 days of work, a suicide in the house and Lilly’s, Udu’s and Buz’s behaviour is noticed and gossiped about?
Yes, no, not yet, yes, yes, no. (what did Buz do that's gossip-worthy? Lily, definately, Udu a little, perhaps the MMs will be eager to hear all they can about him)

Quote:
3. Is it acceptable that the Chancellor (who is in Tharbad for 3 years) has some spies : in the most popular inns, like RH, Swan, Rotting Cod and other riverside taverns, in the Governor’s house, in the Ladies Sewing Circle?
Yes... but as someone said... not a vast network... the point is, some of them at least, will be suspicious of Sapthan. Also, in the last few years, I don't think there have been that many interesting things happening here, so he wouldn't have so many. Also, I agree with Earniel about the Rotting Cod, riverside taverns and Ladies' Sewing Circle spies. For the last one at least, Aiwendis should be enough..

Quote:
4. Is it reasonable that a Spymaster, who collects the reports from his spies at various inns and places, has MORE DETAILED and MORE ABUNDANT information (if not more accurate) than an average Tharbad citizen?
Yes... but I still don't see why he had a spymaster at all. Last three years have been tranquil, right? But then I don't really know much about Sapthan. A little bit of info on his official position in the city would help.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 12-10-2005, 02:06 AM   #422
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

No, I sure didn't mean it that way (Val bad with a bow) - I tried to portray Alagos's admiration of him, but I might add a bit more I'll add that he's only 11. Or better yet, how's this - I'll change it to "an errand for Elrond", and Val can be like only 5 or so!

You are amazing with your dates!!! I'm embarassed at my lack of date knowledge

Re - closed scene - please tell me if you want to change it! Earniel and I want our characters to go home, but I can certainly rewrite it for you guys very easily - you 3 can stay behind. PLEASE PLEASE let me know - I know I repeat this ad nauseum, but I never want to write something for a character that the character owner doesn't want!!

re legs - I'll take that line out when I edit the other post - I just put it in for fun

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-10-2005, 02:06 AM   #423
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Oh yes... Gordis' questions:

I hate answering questions like this.

For the most part, 'yes' to all - but several players had some very good qualifying comments. Where WOULD the ML likely attempt to employ spies? Mostly among the influential, perhaps - but care must be taken - many potential 'leakers' would be very loyal - and for good reason (ie, self-preservation).

As for picking up on rumors and gossip - wouldn't take much. Just 1 or 2 people who were 'out and about' to hear things. And... it would have to be filtered - a good chunk would either be distorted or totally untrue.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 12-10-2005, 02:12 AM   #424
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
No, I sure didn't mean it that way (Val bad with a bow) - I tried to portray Alagos's admiration of him, but I might add a bit more I'll add that he's only 11. Or better yet, how's this - I'll change it to "an errand for Elrond", and Val can be like only 5 or so!

You are amazing with your dates!!! I'm embarassed at my lack of date knowledge

Re - closed scene - please tell me if you want to change it! Earniel and I want our characters to go home, but I can certainly rewrite it for you guys very easily - you 3 can stay behind. PLEASE PLEASE let me know - I know I repeat this ad nauseum, but I never want to write something for a character that the character owner doesn't want!!

re legs - I'll take that line out when I edit the other post - I just put it in for fun
Really - no problem with any of it. I didn't have much to accomplish there, but thought it would be fair to see if anyone else did. So for my part anyway - I'm good. And since Earniel tells you she wants to go (likely so we can meet up later - secret-like an' all!), that's fine. If CS has something else to accomplish... that could be BAD anyway!

You can see I already made a follow-up post. I ... er, um... left room for Earniel to accept our little rendezvous.

The thought of a 'near-miss' with an arrow just scares me a bit. Valandil could have KILLED him!! and double- !!! I guess I'm good on those dates because it's of particular interest to me. We always learn the things we're interested in, don't we?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 12-10-2005, 02:16 AM   #425
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, the arrow going through the cloak was too dramatic - I"ll change it to the arrow left the string, but nowhere near Alagos - it was just a teasing comment.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-10-2005, 02:32 AM   #426
Rían

Val - I put in quite a few edits that I think improved it - I made Val 6, for one thing, and made Alagos confess to an "artistic" exaggeration of Val shooting at him, etc. Will that 6 year old thing work? I had A. on an "errand" for Elrond at Imladris, so I think it would work, but you're the one that's good with history and dates ...

I love your sneaky little insistance to be on that nice dark street by yourself! What will Earniel say?!

Last edited by Rían : 12-10-2005 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:24 AM   #427
Rían

Final post of the night - I added some more details to my "Eärniel" post (#635), including a touching poem (a slight modification of A Elbereth Gilthoniel from book 2 of LOTR) and such important details as the design on Alagos's PJs. I hope you don't want any edits, Eärniel!

Old 12-10-2005, 04:11 AM   #428
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Anyway, I just finished another one. Val and Earniel, it involves your characters, so let me know if you would like some edits
*puts down tea carefully before reading, in order to spare computer.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
BWAH-Ha-Hah!! It is just SOOOoooooo very tempting to take that and run with it even now - before the REAL Earniel comes back!
I may be a little pre-occupied at the moment to write for this RPG but that doesn't mean I don't read it or can't smack you with a plastic gecko if you dare. Ye be warned.

Quote:
I hope you don't want any edits, Eärniel!
Eärniel says: "Whooo boy, you sure take 'you can go wild' literally. I think it's safe to say there will be edits. We agreed on that one, eh? But for the moment, it will stand and hopefully generate a few smiles. I trust you had fun writing it?
Old 12-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #429
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
. Are Tharbad citizens prone to gossip?
Yes. The University would be perfect for spreading rumours.

Quote:
2. Do you agree that the acquisition of Orrodel by foreigners, firig an Elf housekeeper after 2 days of work, a suicide in the house and Lilly’s, Udu’s and Buz’s behaviour is noticed and gossiped about?
Yes, but not Udu. He is not associated with Orrodel by anyone, other than the Nazgûl, in Tharbad.

Quote:
3. Is it acceptable that the Chancellor (who is in Tharbad for 3 years) has some spies : in the most popular inns, like RH, Swan, Rotting Cod and other riverside taverns, in the Governor’s house, in the Ladies Sewing Circle?
(The spies are mostly servants, who are well paid to report all the gossip and the news they overhear. They are aware of nothing sinister about their spying– they even have no idea they are working for the Chancellor)
Yes.

Quote:
4. Is it reasonable that a Spymaster, who collects the reports from his spies at various inns and places, has MORE DETAILED and MORE ABUNDANT information (if not more accurate) than an average Tharbad citizen?
Yes, and he would have to know the ML's identity. I didn't see the Sapthan post so can't comment on how he it should or shouldn't be changed IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMM
I think he certainly would have spies around, but I don't think he would bother placing them in the Rotting Cod, the riverside taverns or the Ladies' Sewing Circle. Please remember that ML is a high ranking male, he would not perceive the lower class citizens as threats worthy of being spied on and considering his later reaction to Eowyn he probably wouldn't view a Ladies' Sewing Circle as worthy of his attention either. Please allow him to underestimate people occaisionally. It's more believable that way.
But with Eowyn he underestimated her as an adversary, whereas he sees the Ladies Sewing Circle as a place to brew rumours.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 12-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #430
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
But with Eowyn he underestimated her as an adversary, whereas he sees the Ladies Sewing Circle as a place to brew rumours.
Maybe so, but even if that is his take on the sewing circle, he probably wouldn't have anyone other than Aiwendis there.

But my point about Eowyn is relevant, technically he should be underestimating the females of FOGAL just a bit more than he is. The character as he's being played right now would never have made the mistake that gets him killed later on.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 12-10-2005, 04:18 PM   #431
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Hi, everyone. Valandil noticed I’ve been silently following this RPG and invited me to join, so I’ll now be handling (or whatever the expression is...) Oreturion. I just posted something very short to start with. You guys have got an interesting narrative going here and I’m looking forward to taking part
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 12-10-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:51 PM   #432
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Welcome, sun-star! What a surprise!

I'm going to repeat in our disc. thread a bit I just wrote in Teacup Cafe, because it's how I feel right now, and try not & get offended or miffed you guys, it's just how I feel right now.

I'm so confused about what's happening to my RPG the last few days; it's trippy. All of a sudden, there was contention among the ranks, and now the fogal are totally dominating - two posters in particular, like the whole story is primarily - or JUST - about their own characters. It's weird, I don't like it. *sips coffee* And it's confusing, to say the least, 'cause our "leader" of evil whom I respect so much has gone a bit odd, too, and I don't know why... I miss the old days of the game, when we all got along fine and the writing was balanced. There's this one writer in there (and to be polite, I won't say whom ) who just writes SO FREAKIN' MUCH, the whole story's all about them & their characters, and to read the RPG you have to read ALL of these long posts just to get through it, and it's just so incredibly unbalanced, and everyone's FEELINGS are always being hurt, and there's NO poetic freedom or whatever, no wriggle room to write in.

Just blowin' off some steam. If we can't be frank about how we feel or what's bothering us, then how the hell can we ever work together? No need to pussy-foot around.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #433
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Welcome, sun-star, our new Oreturion. I hope this game will live on and get more good players.Very nice first post. Stay with us.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #434
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I wish to thank again everybody who found time to answer my questions.

Quote:
general thoughts on gossip - I agree that talk would most definitely get out about these things that are out of the ordinary that CS listed, but I also agree that we shouldn't use gossip as an easy way out of anything. And remember, FOEADs, we FOGALS don't have any interest in "outing" things too soon - we'd like the game to keep going.
If this game dies, it will not be because of outing something, but because of quarrelling too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Sure, as much as elves all about town is, (which it IS; how come none of us jump on this one? It's not a common thing, to have all these elves running around a normal town. Why are they here, and why can't the gossip-mongers talk about all the elf-drama? Just a thought. I thought of this before; I'd still like to introduce this concept myself, have some nasty gossiping about the elves.) .
The Elves may be subject of some nasty gossip, why not? Though in general, I believe, they should be liked in Arnor.

Quote:
Absolutely, but not "vast network," and not unrealistic spying on situations and people that would not be - in the REAL world - any outstanding fodder for gossip or noteworthiness at all, or like BB says, it gets flat-out ridiculous, and no one will be able to write in any action at all, anywhere, for fear of it being pounced upon by omnipresent spies. .
I specifically asked not to include heated generalised replies, but perhaps it was too much to ask? If you had paid a little attention, you would have noticed that "vast network" was edited immediately on LMM’s polite and specific suggestion.

Quote:
"I do concur, again, with what BB has carefully and thoroughly said in post #391, here in disc.;" .
I said I was not going to discuss it further in this thread, lest it will be closed. If anyone wants to hear my opinion on BB’s posts I am ready to oblige by PM.

Quote:
"I think, if anything, RIAN should be the one getting suspected & maliciously talked about, not Galadannun, because A. she's an elf, B. HE'S a professor, and is the man of that house, not her, C. what did that elf do to get herself fired so quickly? suspicious... stuf like that. .
Yes, I believe there might be some gossip at the Herring, between her fellow-barmaids. Why not?

Quote:
And Gordis & Udu, it's true - why on earth did you guys just erase your posts? You all expect us to make alterations and be reasonable when you guys want something changed or addressed, but when the shoe's on the other foot, you just throw in the entire towel?
We were ready to edit if asked nicely, or, at least, neutrally. I started to edit, when asked by LMM. But I am not going to oblige when shouted at, or insulted.

Quote:
"That's not right! And I KNOW how much it stings to erase your entire post, I did it myself that one time and it felt awful. Can't we just work together here?
It stings much more to read certain posts in this thread than to erase a post, believe me. And if I am still here, that means I am still trying to work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Most likely, after hearing his spy's report, the ML will try to control Lilly and Orrodel better!
That was basically the reason for all the spy-scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Possibly. However just because people gossip, it isn't natural that certain things are immediately common knowledge in the city. Rumours need time to spread, leak through the different layers of people and professions. Most rumours don't even get far at all. Some rumours, I'm thinking about the things of the Rotten Cot would hardly reach, I gather, a more well-off crowd because they may be too vulgar and not of interest to the largest part of Tharbad's population. Tharbad is large, not everyone knows everyone. ...
True, it will take some time for a rumour to become a universal knowledge. Most rumours will be local and soon forgotten. Let us take Lilly. Rotten Cod is discussing Lilly’s Friday night adventure in this very place, Singing Swan is abuzz with her Monday adventures - Lilly’s fit and Udu pouring several bottles of wine down her throat, MM’s are discussing her dance in the shop and the shop-keepers at Menetar are discussing the outrageous amount of gold she spent in an hour. These gossips are not related. But if a spy reports Rotting Cod rumour, another spy reports Swan rumour and the third one – MM’s words, then the spymaster may have a detailed picture. Isn’t it reasonable?

Quote:
Personally, I am hesitant about the use of gossip in RPG's because it is hard to determine just what degree and amount of watchfull eyes and wagging tongues works in a game. Not to mention which bits of rumours aren't judged interesting or sensational enough to be passed on, and just who the rumours are told to. The possibility for rumour doesn't justify everything to be known immediately by everyone. ...
Gossip in times before a printing press is as good as a newspaper. How would one know what is happening in the city? No, of course everything will not be known immediately by everyone. But one who keeps his ears open and collects rumours from many places is bound to be rather well-informed, if not accurately, sometimes. Exaggerations are most likely.

Quote:
The acquisition, possibly. It's a big and noticable house. Again, it would take at the very least a few days, I think, to sink in. I'd doubt it'd be common knowledge through-out Tharbad, though. ...
Lilly and Buz bought Orrodel THREE WEEKS AGO.

Quote:
The Elven housekeeper? Hardly, except if there had been a scene at the firing, which in the current reality of the game didn't happen. I doubt that since RÃ*an was already present in Tharbad her two days work at Orrodel would attrack that much attention. Possibly only known in the area around Orrodel? ...
Most likely among people who knew Rian, that means at the RH there would be gossip about her VERY SHORT employment at Orrodel. Not necessarily positive for Rian.
Yes, the scene at the firing has been edited, you are right.

Quote:
"My memory fails me currently on Udu's and Buz's behaviour, I must still be stuck in another alternative reality, I fear. Unless you refer to the incident where Udu drowns Lilly in wine. Again, I think only a small number of people would know it and I think that passing those stories on would be minimal. But if a spy is in the right position, that's another matter of course..."
I have no doubt one of the servants at the Swan is on the Chancellor’s payroll. Strange not to have an informant in so popular a place. ...
And as far as I know gossip from RL, it is just that sort of stories that gets spread immediately "-I tell you there were three bottles! - No, I saw four with my own eyes. - And she didn’t drown! And walked afterwards as if nothing happened!" Names and place details will be lost in the retelling, but the story will live on.

Quote:
Some spies, yes. Yet the situations you summed up seem, to me personally, a little too extended. Frankly, I find this thing hard to decide at forehand because I don't know how this will work out. I'll probably decide on the spot, when I read one of your posts, whether the speed and the amount of news the Chancellor gathers would be acceptable or not. Sorry, I'm not being very helpful, he? ...
On the contrary, you were helpful. It is difficult to discuss things in vague outline. And of course it is better to decide on the spot, re: a specific post. I am always for it, if the discussion could remain polite and constructive. As you all know, often it is not so.

Quote:
A Spymaster would have more info... But then again I wonder, is there so much of interest in Tharbad that the Chancellor would need both a spy network and a spy master? It seems so... domestic for the Witch-king who is essentially only interested in swiping Val's crown. It's late and I have difficulty finding the right words to explain my view... You'll have to excuse me. ...
The ML may be a nazgul, but here he lives among humans, therefore in Tharbad he is more "domesticated" than in Mordor, or even in Angmar. If he wants some security, he must have a way to get news. There are no newspapers and no TV. Some news may be vital for him. Imagine there is rumour that Elrond is coming to Tharbad to see Val? Anyway, as far as I know, spies in taverns were a usual medieval governmental practice, especially when nobility and "lowly commoners" didn’t mix too much. It is very important for a ruler to know what is brewing in the city.

Quote:
You know Gordis, personally I don't mind you having spies and a spymaster, whatever you call him (I missed the post you wrote and deleted so I know nothing about him) but it will be very tricky to decide what info the Chancellor gets through his spies and how soon. Just take into account that you can't have spies everywhere and that certain bits of news just naturally happen to fall between the cracks and not reach the chancellor and you'll be alright.
It was Udu who wrote the post and got specific "friendly" treatment, so common in this thread, not me. I am sort of used to it already. I don’t know if he agrees to stay with us now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
To the extent that gossip/word-of-mouth is likely the best way of transferring and receiving information about what's going on, yes. Mind you, there will and should be citizens who feel that gossip is disgusting and unreliable or who just don't care what's going on. .
I agree

Quote:
I think he certainly would have spies around, but I don't think he would bother placing them in the Rotting Cod, the riverside taverns or the Ladies' Sewing Circle. Please remember that ML is a high ranking male, he would not perceive the lower class citizens as threats worthy of being spied on and considering his later reaction to Eowyn he probably wouldn't view a Ladies' Sewing Circle as worthy of his attention either. Please allow him to underestimate people occasionally. It's more believable that way. .
Here I have to disagree, about the Rotting Cod and riverside taverns. The places like that are always watched by informants even nowadays, more so in medieval times. Dangerous things could brew there. Consider also, that public at the RH and the Swan is almost of the came circle, where the Chancellor himself belongs. Most things that are discussed there he may learn by other means, talking with MM’s for instance. But the Rotting Cod is another world entirely. He must rely on spies there. And in this AU, he was a ruler of a vast kingdom and managed it well. He knows his job well.

Well, Ladies Sewing Circle is observed by MM’s, who are always happy to tell the news without being asked, much less paid for it. One servant at the Governor’s palace, I believe, must be a spy. That is an important place to watch – Tharbad’s government.

Quote:
Yes. Please do keep Sapthan's character, he seemed very interesting.
It was Udu’s character. I would love to see him re-installed, but that is Udu’s choice. You have to ask him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
"Yes... but as someone said... not a vast network... the point is, some of them at least, will be suspicious of Sapthan. Also, in the last few years, I don't think there have been that many interesting things happening here, so he wouldn't have so many." .
No, not a vast network, agreed.
Suspicious of Sapthan? He pays them to report what they hear, and asks them to eavesdrop when it is safe, not to steal documents or kill people. He pays very well.

Quote:
Yes... but I still don't see why he had a spymaster at all. Last three years have been tranquil, right? .
The three years were peaceful, but still the Chancellor is vary. He is surrounded by enemies. Any give-away may happen. An Easterling or a guy from Harad who knew him in the East before he "became" Ilmenzor may come. Someone who was prisoner in Mordor, or was in its army, but repented later. I don’t even mention Calaquendi Elves.

Quote:
But then I don't really know much about Sapthan. A little bit of info on his official position in the city would help. .
So far Sapthan has not been given a chance…

Quote:
I hate answering questions like this. .
And I hate having to ask them. But it seems there is no other way for this game to continue.

Quote:
For the most part, 'yes' to all - but several players had some very good qualifying comments. Where WOULD the ML likely attempt to employ spies? Mostly among the influential, perhaps - but care must be taken - many potential 'leakers' would be very loyal - and for good reason (ie, self-preservation). .
The Chancellor has an easy access to influential himself. He doesn’t look for Arnor’s secrets, he doesn’t need numbers of troops or layout of places. He is not planning a coup soon. He only wishes to assure his own safety and learn news. So spies in popular inns + one servant in the Governor’s palace- in three years he may have found one corruptible. He has no spies at Val’s house, he had no time for it, and it is rather tricky, as you say.

Quote:
As for picking up on rumors and gossip - wouldn't take much. Just 1 or 2 people who were 'out and about' to hear things. And... it would have to be filtered - a good chunk would either be distorted or totally untrue.
Yes, I agree, very often it will be distorted and exaggerated, exactly as was the ill-fortunate Sapthan’s report in Udu’s deleted post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Yes, but not Udu. He is not associated with Orrodel by anyone, other than the Nazgûl, in Tharbad. .
I am afraid Lilly made him somewhat associated with herself in gossip.

Quote:
Yes, and he would have to know the ML's identity. I didn't see the Sapthan post so can't comment on how he it should or shouldn't be changed IMO. .
I believe, Sapthan has no idea of the Chancellor’s identity. He thinks Ilmenzor is not a Faithful at heart, possibly turned to Darkness after his capture in Mordor. He knows Ilmenzor is interested in Black arts, as well as Sapthan himself. But definitely he thinks the Chancellor to be human. Otherwise, Sapthan would become too dangerous. That is how I see it. We have had no time to discuss it properly with Udu, perhaps he had other ideas.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #435
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
with Eowyn he underestimated her as an adversary,
Quote:
But my point about Eowyn is relevant, technically he should be underestimating the females of FOGAL just a bit more than he is. The character as he's being played right now would never have made the mistake that gets him killed later on.
Why do you think the Witch-King underestimated a woman-Eowyn as an adversary? I think the text proves quite the opposite. He was treatening a male soldier who stood in his way:

Quote:
‘Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! ...Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!
Then she says:
Quote:
But no living man am I! You look upon a woman...
And that makes him pause for quite a long time. Enough for Merry to gather his wits.
Quote:
The winged creature screamed at her, but the Ringwraith made no answer, and was silent, as if in sudden doubt. Very amazement for a moment conquered Merry’s fear...
Slowly, slowly he began to crawl aside; but the Black Captain, in doubt and malice intent upon the woman before him, heeded him no more than a worm in the mud.
And finally, it was not the Witch-King who attacked, but the Fell-beast.

Quote:
Suddenly the great beast beat its hideous wings, and the wind of them was foul. Again it leaped into the air, and then swiftly fell down upon Éowyn, shrieking, striking with beak and claw.
I wouldn't say that the WK underestimated Eowyn!

This scene is sometimes used to prove that he underestimated women in general. But there is nothing to come to this conclusion.

He wouldn't have been hesitant about killing a male warrior, but woman made him pause, he grew distracted, forgot about watching his back, and that was it.

Last edited by Gordis : 12-10-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:45 PM   #436
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
I believe, Sapthan has no idea of the Chancellor’s identity. He thinks Ilmenzor is not a Faithful at heart, possibly turned to Darkness after his capture in Mordor. He knows Ilmenzor is interested in Black arts, as well as Sapthan himself. But definitely he thinks the Chancellor to be human. Otherwise, Sapthan would become too dangerous. That is how I see it. We have had no time to discuss it properly with Udu, perhaps he had other ideas.
I have come back, but I was gone for a few days with no intentions of coming back. I cannot say that I took it lightly when someone referred to something I had written as "stupid" and "inflammatory." That is an insult to my intelligence, and I did not appreciate it. I wish only peaceful dealings with everyone, felicity, enjoyment, and a good game, but I cannot be insulted in such a manner without retreating forever into the shadows.

Gordis, you are exactly correct in your estimation of Sapthan.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #437
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Udu, you have reinstalled your post! Thank you. I am really happy you have chosen to stay and give it another try.

I hope the others will react in a civil and polite way from now on.

I have put my edited post back in the old place, #629.

Last edited by Gordis : 12-10-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #438
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

UDU, that new post was the BOMB!! I really, really enjoyed that. It was brilliant how you made Sapthan have a jealousy initiative to damage Professor Galadannun's rep as much as possible by focusing on his wild sister's antics. He kind of reminds me a little of Salieri, anybody know Salieri the guy who was forever jealous of Mozart? Even Sapthan's name sounds like the kind of guy he is.

I'm very relieved that you didn't bail on us, Udu; what a tragic loss that would have been. I hope you don't think I perceived your work to be stupid or inflammatory, I would never think never mind say that ANYone's work here would be stupid. Your writing's always the bomb. And the new post is way, way better than the first one which you erased. I'm so glad you rewrote & reinstalled it! So glad. Dark ones of the Moot, unite!

CraZY sQUIRREL - Also a terrific post! I always look forward to & love whatever you write, CS. I especially like the "tolvadok's cold, poisonous mind" he really does have a cold, poisonous mind. Who placed that ad; was it him, to make problems or something?

Gordis - Thanx for taking the careful time to address all our answers like that. It all seems O.K., do you all agree?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-10-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:52 PM   #439
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Hi, everyone. Valandil noticed I’ve been silently following this RPG and invited me to join, so I’ll now be handling (or whatever the expression is...) Oreturion. I just posted something very short to start with. You guys have got an interesting narrative going here and I’m looking forward to taking part
Sun-star - nice introduction. I think you're going to do just fine as Oreturion!

ALL - I am happy to introduce Sun-star as the new player in charge of the character Oreturion! Like some others here, this is her very first rpg.

Welcome, Sun-star!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 12-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #440
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Sunny!!! Yay!!!

Welcome! Always good to see you

Closed Thread