Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #421
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Thank you.

Who was King of Arthedain when King Ondoher of Gondor and his sons were killed in battle with the Wainriders, leaving Gondor without a clear heir to the throne?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:13 PM   #422
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The victorious general Eärnil (1945)?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-15-2004, 05:14 PM   #423
Valandil

Theoden

Earnil... nope!
Old 01-15-2004, 06:50 PM   #424
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Araphant was the King of Arthedain at the time, but Arvedui made claim for the throne of Gondor
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-16-2004, 02:20 AM   #425
Valandil

Theoden

You're CORRECT!!! I was hoping someone would say 'Arvedui' because of him claiming the throne (Hey! What's the point of a 'trick question' if you don't trick anyone!?? ).

For those not 'in the know', Arthedui made the claim while 'crown prince' because he was married to Firiel, daughter of Ondoher... so that their son (Aranarth) was a grandson of Ondoher.

Your turn, Dunedain.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:21 PM   #426
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Who found Thror's head and what was carved into it?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-16-2004, 06:29 PM   #427
Valandil

Theoden

Nar?
Old 01-16-2004, 06:31 PM   #428
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nan (?) found it with "Azog" (the name of the orc who slew him) carved into it.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-16-2004, 06:34 PM   #429
Valandil

Theoden

Oops! Didn't read your question close enough, Dunedain - if I'm correct on the name, I think Nurvingiel is close enough - and she got the second part...
Old 01-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #430
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

She's close, but the first name is wrong Val had the name right, but I'll give it to Nurvingiel

--Linaewen
Old 01-16-2004, 06:40 PM   #431
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
She's close, but the first name is wrong Val had the name right, but I'll give it to Nurvingiel
That's what I was hoping for... go Nurvi!
Old 01-16-2004, 06:56 PM   #432
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I should have just stolen his correct name from your post! Thanks Valandil. I'll be home at my copy of RotK and the Appendecies in an hour, so I'll ask you a question then! (Thanks for letting me have it.)
Quote:
Old 01-16-2004, 07:32 PM   #433
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What is the name is the race of trolls, in the Black Speech, that would not turn to stone in the sun?
Quote:
Old 01-16-2004, 09:56 PM   #434
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Olog-hai?

--Linaewen
Old 01-17-2004, 08:37 PM   #435
matthew
Enting

Olog-Hai sounds right.

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:44 PM   #436
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Correct Dúnedain, your turn.
Quote:
Old 01-17-2004, 09:12 PM   #437
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Ok let's stay on a relatively similar topic then

What is the word in the Black Speech that means 'man of Gondor'?

--Linaewen
Old 01-17-2004, 09:24 PM   #438
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

"Tark", a debased form of "tarkil", which is a Quenya word used in Westron for one of Numenorean descent.
Quote:
Old 01-18-2004, 01:02 AM   #439
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
"Tark", a debased form of "tarkil", which is a Quenya word used in Westron for one of Numenorean descent.
Indeed, and that is the exact sentence from the book! lol you looked!!! I caught ya

Good job

--Linaewen
Old 01-18-2004, 11:03 PM   #440
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I had to look.

How exactly are Frodo and Merry related, and through whom?
Quote:
Closed Thread