Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2005, 09:41 PM   #421
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I'm not SAYING it is right. Frankly, and personally, I believe in God. I spent last morning in synagogue. But I'm saying that you can't argue along the lines of "theism has many solutions, atheism has only one" because sheer number of solutions is no proof of correctness.

And how about agnosticism? that is what science is: agnostic. It does not say there is no god it says god's existence is unproven. Until it is proven, we must go on the assumption god does not act, or else we are assuming an unproven god.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #422
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

If you believe in God, why would you support atheistic evolution? (Did I miss a post in this thread? I do believe theistic evolution is possible)
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:43 PM   #423
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I agree. Atheism is not science. It's a world view of non-theism. (Religions that have a number of equal gods are also atheistic IIRC. I believe there is a sect of Buddhism like this.)

That's why I said religion and evolution are mutually exclusive. Replace "religion" with "world view" and this statement makes more sense.

I think a person's world view does affect what scientific beliefs they do or do not hold, but the former does not determine the latter (or vice versa).
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #424
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I believe in agnostic evolution. That is, I believe in God. However, scientifically I do not consider God's existence proven - my belief in God is based on faith, which is unscientific. For this reason, see my bold statements above, I believe we must, scientifically go on the assumption there is no god, because is there is a god, the processes that act are the same, except that god might tinker with them, while if there is no god and you assume there is, you're in for a nasty shock about your results.

P.S. Nurv, you don't mean mutually exclusive. That would mean they can't exist at the same time! You mean, I think, that they are NOT mutually exclusive - one does not force the other's hand.

Last edited by Count Comfect : 10-05-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Count Comfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #425
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

You can't prove everything...I think there was a movie about that, maybe several...
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #426
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

While I largely agree with you, I think that the existence or non-existence of God does not affect scientific theory. IOW, either way, the theory remains the same (for example, ToE).
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 10-05-2005, 09:49 PM   #427
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Which you are you referring to, Nurv? This is why I use names

I agree that the ToE is the same with or without god. I'm saying that you can't plug god into a scientific theory since god's existence is unproven.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:33 PM   #428
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
P.S. Nurv, you don't mean mutually exclusive. That would mean they can't exist at the same time! You mean, I think, that they are NOT mutually exclusive - one does not force the other's hand.
Yeah, I was trying to come up with the right term for that, too - there's some other term floating on the edge of my brain, but can't remember it now

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #429
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

you might be interested in a new book

http://www.thbookservice.com/product...r_cd=THE048201
Old 10-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #430
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Quote:
Yeah, I was trying to come up with the right term for that, too - there's some other term floating on the edge of my brain, but can't remember it now
You're right Count, thanks. I'm looking for the term that means 'one can exist without the other, and the existence of one doesn't affect the other'.
Quote:
Old 10-06-2005, 04:57 PM   #431
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

a non symbiotic relationship
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #432
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:08 PM   #433
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

oh, you're gonna get it for that one, fer sure
Old 10-06-2005, 09:24 PM   #434
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Nah theyll just ignore it. Like they did the six or eight other things I mentioned before that dont make any sense. Or else theyll say well they could find a use for them some day. Who are we to say...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #435
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

They're conveniently ignoring the "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" one I put in the Gays, Lesbians & Bi thread, as well.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #436
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Nurv - "independent"?

Lotesse - I love that comic. The author is from my hometown
Old 10-06-2005, 11:44 PM   #437
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nurv - "independent"?

Lotesse - I love that comic. The author is from my hometown
Yes! They are indepentent. That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

Lotesse, that comic is hilarious!
Quote:
Old 10-07-2005, 12:35 AM   #438
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Thanx, Count & Nurvi! But still, we haven't heard back from those-who-would-take-issue. Patiently waiting...

Old 10-07-2005, 12:54 AM   #439
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Nah theyll just ignore it. Like they did the six or eight other things I mentioned before that dont make any sense. Or else theyll say well they could find a use for them some day. Who are we to say...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
They're conveniently ignoring the "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" one I put in the Gays, Lesbians & Bi thread, as well.
Y'know what, guys, in my book, this "they'll ignore it" thing is a bit of a low blow and I'm pretty saddened and disappointed to hear it from you guys. Since when have I ignored anything? I may have missed some things, since these threads move at the speed of light sometimes, but honestly, when have I ever avoided any question?

I just get on after a long hard day, and I see this?! Really disappointing.

And you know what?! I'll go ahead and answer the nipple thing RIGHT NOW, darn it, 'cause I'm really upset about that [can't call it what I want to call it because it would get edited out by a mod] and false charge against my integrity, and against the integrity of those who have been offering thoughtful and considerate discussion on the same side as I'm on. Ya know why men have nipples? My husband got away for a "long lunch" today - we've been looking foward to it all week, because things are not as easy with kids around! - and darn it! they're FUN!!!! That's why!!!

(and I was embarassed to DEATH a few hours later when my daughter came home and discovered some fun things I accidentally left in the bathroom! I had to come up with some very creative explanations about what they were! )

So let's treat each other as the friends we are, and please, no more of these comments. I just saw the nipple thing FOR THE FIRST TIME a few minutes ago, and I saw the "do unto others" thing a while back but didn't feel like responding right then because it would have involved pointing out hypocrisies I see on YOUR side Please, let's treat each other with respect and kindness.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-07-2005, 12:56 AM   #440
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Thanx, Count & Nurvi! But still, we haven't heard back from those-who-would-take-issue. Patiently waiting...
you got your answer

I think rpg-Rian might turn her horse around and ride away in search of Gondolin ...