Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 06:18 PM   #421
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
Lev.15:16 "And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even."
I suppose brushing my teeth is wrong and un-natural, according to the bibble-babble!

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, are we spanking monkeys?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry sis I train my wookie
I'm going to stick to flogging the dolphin... well, I'm going to stick to something, anyway!

ONE MORE TIME!

DAD:
There are Jews in the world.
There are Buddhists.
There are Hindus and Mormons, and then
There are those that follow Mohammed, but
I've never been one of them.
I'm a Roman Catholic,
And have been since before I was born,
And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
They'll take you as soon as you're warm.
You don't have to be a six-footer.
You don't have to have a great brain.
You don't have to have any clothes on. You're
A Catholic the moment Dad came,
Because
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.
CHILDREN:
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.
GIRL:
Let the heathen spill theirs
On the dusty ground.
God shall make them pay for
Each sperm that can't be found.
CHILDREN:
Every sperm is wanted.
Every sperm is good.
Every sperm is needed
In your neighbourhood.
MUM:
Hindu, Taoist, Mormon,
Spill theirs just anywhere,
But God loves those who treat their
Semen with more care.
MEN:
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
WOMEN:
If a sperm is wasted,...
CHILDREN:
...God get quite irate.
PRIEST:
Every sperm is sacred.
BRIDE and GROOM:
Every sperm is good.
NANNIES:
Every sperm is needed...
CARDINALS:
...In your neighbourhood!
CHILDREN:
Every sperm is useful.
Every sperm is fine.
FUNERAL CORTEGE:
God needs everybody's.
MOURNER #1:
Mine!
MOURNER #2:
And mine!
CORPSE:
And mine!
NUN:
Let the Pagan spill theirs
O'er mountain, hill, and plain.
HOLY STATUES:
God shall strike them down for
Each sperm that's spilt in vain.
EVERYONE:
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is good.
Every sperm is needed
In your neighbourhood.
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite iraaaaaate!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-27-2002, 06:22 PM   #422
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I don't think they're listening to our pitiful cries...

Me wonders if YOU'LL get away with the sperm song. O:-)

Maybe we should discuss techniques or something.

Or better yet, flame each other.

Cirdan - You're sticking to the wall again....
Old 06-27-2002, 06:37 PM   #423
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I don't think they're listening to our pitiful cries...

Me wonders if YOU'LL get away with the sperm song. O:-)
..but didn't you just say...

Quote:
Maybe we should discuss techniques or something.
By all means, ladies first. :leech:

Quote:

Or better yet, flame each other.

Cirdan - You're sticking to the wall again....
BoP, do you need a coaster

*forgets how to flame properly*

BoP is so mean to stupid people
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-27-2002, 06:45 PM   #424
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

THREE PROOFS THAT JESUS WAS JEWISH
* He went into His father's business.
* He lived at home until He was 33.
* His Mother was sure He was God.

THREE PROOFS THAT JESUS WAS IRISH
* He never got married.
* He was always telling stories.
* He loved green pastures .

THREE PROOFS THAT JESUS WAS PUERTO RICAN
* His first name was Jesus.
* He was bilingual.
* He was always being harassed by the authorities.

THREE PROOFS THAT JESUS WAS ITALIAN
* He talked with his hands.
* He had wine with every meal.
* He worked in the building trades.

THREE PROOFS THAT JESUS WAS BLACK
* He called everybody "brother".
* He liked Gospel.
* He couldn't get a fair trial.

THREE PROOFS THAT JESUS WAS A CALIFORNIAN:
* He had long hair.
* He walked around barefoot.
* He started a new religion.

AND ... MAYBE JESUS WAS A WOMAN:
* He had to feed a crowd, at a moments notice, when there was no food.
* He kept trying to get the message across to a bunch of men who just didn't get it.
* Even when He was dead, He had to get up because there was more work for Him to do.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:45 PM   #425
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
..but didn't you just say...
C'mon, women are paradoxical creatures - you know that. Oops. Did I just generalise? Well spank me and call me a goat!

Quote:
By all means, ladies first. :leech:
Well, first you gotta find the cherry bowl. You want I should draw a map?

Quote:
BoP is so mean to stupid people
And you're so obscure that even God can't find you!
Old 06-27-2002, 06:47 PM   #426
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Well spank me and call me a goat!
as your nubian sex slave it is my duty and my pleasure

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-27-2002, 06:50 PM   #427
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

could we contact the ACLU and say that we are be discrimanated against because they closed the anti-theist thread and kept this open

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-27-2002, 07:01 PM   #428
Cirdan

Did you hear that a Federal Discrict Court here in the US ruled the "Pledge of Allegiance" to be unconstitutional because of the god clause.

Quote:
Well, first you gotta find the cherry bowl. You want I should draw a map?
I was in there before you came out. A photo would be nice.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-27-2002, 07:09 PM   #429
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Everybody keep in mind that this is a PG-13 forum.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:09 PM   #430
Cirdan

Ok, no more talk about self-gratification. Now, let's stick to the topic.

Why is god a cruel and vengeful thingy? He is sometimes pure love, but then if you don't supplicate you burn for eternity.

Are their any other atheists who are tired of having god stuck in their face 24/7?

THREE PROOFS THAT JESUS WAS A HIPPIE
* HE had long hair, a beard, and wore sandals.
* He believed in free love.
* Authority figures killed him for wanting peace.
* He had hallucinations on a regular basis.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-27-2002, 09:30 PM   #431
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

why can't jesus play hockey ?

he is always nailed to the boards

jesus saves yeah but red wings score

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-27-2002, 09:43 PM   #432
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Jesus Christ walks into an inn. He hands the innkeeper 3 nails and
asks, "Can you put me up for the night?"

What's the difference between Jesus and a picture of Jesus?
It only takes one nail to hang the picture.

Do you know why God created the world with his left hand?
Jesus was sitting on his right hand.

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-27-2002, 10:14 PM   #433
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

If you do not stick strictly to the topic, this thread WILL be closed. I come back to read this topic and you are all talking about masturbation and sex......righto. And now AfroElf is telling Jesus jokes, wonderful. Eh, not. I should close this topic right now, just like the anti-theist topic, but I am being nice and giving you all one more chance.

You guys want to know why the anti-theist topic was closed? Ah, that was so long ago... ok heres a brief summary of why it was closed:
-was getting way too large to read with over 1100 posts. new comers to the topic or people that were away for a few days were lost coming to the topic.
- because the topic was so large and impossible to read it all in a reasonable amount of time, people new to the topic and people who hadn't read all of the pages just didn't bother reading them.
Because of that, people kept repeating the same arguments and reasons over and over again that had already been said. In fact, the people were repeating their arguments over and over again.
-no one was listening to another. people were being ignored ex: andruil's "happy bible review" was completely ignored by everyone except for afroelf.
-the topic had gone waaay off topic and was just continuing to go further off topic.
- and a few other reasons.

Now like that topic, this topic is also going way off topic. In fact, it is going way off topic because of the same posters; mainly BoP and Blackhart. Andruil and A-elf seem to be the only rational people able to discuss this, possibly others. Prove me wrong guys, discuss this topic rationally. Religion is a topic in which the only outcome can be having someone's feelings hurt at the price of someone feeling superior and the other made to be inferior somehow. An intelligent discussion can be achieved, but it has not yet here.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 06-28-2002, 12:03 PM   #434
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Actually, platonist mathematics is quite relevant to the topic, and I am slightly miffed that you imply I was not discussing the topic rationally. As for the other thread.... well I started out rationally, but no one seemed to care...

People so often get a knee jerk uniformed opinion that theism=christianity, and they throw in judaism and islam as afterthoughts.

Theism is a much broader venue, so you are going to have to expect some odd statemnts. As for peeking in and telling people they are silly, well that is my opinion on the whole discourse. It is silly, and if someone wants to argue either position, they have to use metaphysical references, so both sides of the argument are suspect in my opinion.

Platonist math is the position that math is discovered. Not created. There is of course a lot of argument and discussion about this amongst students of math, and it's sometimes hilarious to watch the discussions.

I'll skip the arguments as to why I support a platonist position, since it involves long boring discussion about the nature of zero as opposed to it's relationship with infinity and negative infinity among other things, since people want us to stick strictly to the topic. Whatever the hell the topic might be.

I always supposed that theism was merely a broad description of a position that included a(t least one) deity in the conceptualization reality. (it's also defined as "The morbid condition resulting from the excessive use of tea." which is just downright odd)

Deity is a pretty broad class. which is why theism is such a broad position, and unlikely to yeild any form of rational discussion. Someone who subscribes to the Greek Mythos, for example, with all the limitations and flaws and cruelty of the gods, is still a theist.

So to make this post short, just bashing Christians, or Muslims, or Jews isn't very impressive, nor does it seem like a very rational form of discourse. In fact, I'm rather disgruntled that the Hobbit seems to think the jokes are rational forms of discussion.

More to the point however, is the concept that if math is discovered, i.e. pre-exists out conciousness, then what are the defining charateristics that make it possible. Where did math come from? Apparantly it can exist independant of reality, since it's quite concievable, and perhaps even necessary that it pre-exited the initial expansion of the universe.

Were the laws just there, or were they "set in place"? Neither position can be argued from an empirical standpoint. I'll just skip to the point where I make a statement that the initial conditions or laws were set in place.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...

Last edited by Blackheart : 06-28-2002 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:52 PM   #435
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

there is a god

Cross the Rainbow Bridge of Asgaard,
"Where the booming heavens roar,
You'll behold in breathless wonder
The God Of Thunder, Mighty Thor!"

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-28-2002, 01:19 PM   #436
HOBBIT

thor the asgard? Isn't that norse mythology? Thor is cool.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 06-28-2002, 01:20 PM   #437
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
Actually, platonist mathematics is quite relevant to the topic, and I am slightly miffed that you imply I was not discussing the topic rationally. As for the other thread.... well I started out rationally, but no one seemed to care...
The, "Don't make me come in there" comment was a bit of ninnyhammer silliness don't you think . I was a little disappointed a not being included in both lists. I posted some serious explainations for the estimated date of the earth based on actual facts. I dismissed the more pedantic and asuptive arguements because they lead to the pointless tit-for-tat banter about unfounded ideas. I also made jokes because the topic is to sensitive to be serious about without a break.

Quote:

People so often get a knee jerk uniformed opinion that theism=christianity, and they throw in judaism and islam as afterthoughts.
Most of my posts in the Anti-theist thread regarded the monotheism; described as "the god of abraham". I know very litlle about the world's active polytheist religions (hindus), and no hindu posters were available or willing to comment.

Most of the theist respondants were indicating christianity, so that was a natural point of discussion.

Quote:

Theism is a much broader venue, so you are going to have to expect some odd statemnts. As for peeking in and telling people they are silly, well that is my opinion on the whole discourse. It is silly, and if someone wants to argue either position, they have to use metaphysical references, so both sides of the argument are suspect in my opinion.
That was my comment when this thread was resurrected (sorry, couldn't resist). Almost every point ever made about the subject was brought to bear in this and the "Anti-Theist" thread. The two are the same since the posts are indistiguishable, so the topic has really 1600+ posts. Stick a fork in it, it's done!

Quote:

Platonist math is the position that math is discovered.
This is similar to the symmetry concept. Is order perceived or realized (discovered). Circular, unresolvable and not very useful for either side to discuss; but that never seems to stop them...

Quote:

I always supposed that theism was merely a broad description of a position that included a(t least one) deity in the conceptualization reality. (it's also defined as "The morbid condition resulting from the excessive use of tea." which is just downright odd)
Theism is a more structured form of deism. Theism presumes a creation event, a all powerful god or heirarchy of gods as opposed the a mythical being that acts in the world (acient fertility goddesses, etc)

Quote:

So to make this post short, just bashing Christians, or Muslims, or Jews isn't very impressive, nor does it seem like a very rational form of discourse. In fact, I'm rather disgruntled that the Hobbit seems to think the jokes are rational forms of discussion.
Jokes are a rational form of discussion if they point out the absurdity of an issue. I'm disgruntled a the characterisation of the "Anti-Theist" thread by hobbit. It would have sufficed to say that it had gotten too long. It was not neccessary to single out individuals when everyone played the same way. I read posts in both threads, and if anything the anti-theist thread was must more studied and rational.

Quote:

More to the point however, is the concept that if math is discovered, i.e. pre-exists out conciousness, then what are the defining charateristics that make it possible. Where did math come from? Apparantly it can exist independant of reality, since it's quite concievable, and perhaps even necessary that it pre-exited the initial expansion of the universe.
Math is a human concept used to describe phenomena of perception.

Blackheart, I've used your post to discuss what I wanted to say about this post after hobbit's comment. so I used it as a vehicle to expand on. Plus , as usual, you made some interesting points (and a good joke... tea :hehe.

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT

Prove me wrong guys, discuss this topic rationally.
Well, I could paste every rational post from the "anti-theist" thread, but that would be an irrational act (and spam). That was the point of making a joke of this thread; it ALREADY has been done. If anything, one of the threads should have been closed as redundant at the beginning and this thread would have been closed for the same reasons.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 06-28-2002 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:12 PM   #438
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

yes cirdan i concur that you should have been added

amongs us

I dubbed thee" cirdan the once forgotten who is now recalled"

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-28-2002, 03:06 PM   #439
HOBBIT

yeah I meant to include Cirdan as one of the good posters, but I didn't, sorry. I did leave in the "and possibly others" though.

Old 06-28-2002, 04:24 PM   #440
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
yes cirdan i concur that you should have been added

amongs us

I dubbed thee" cirdan the once forgotten who is now recalled"

How about Elf Lord of Senility... that way I can forget and be forgotten.

Quote:
[I]posted by HOBBIT yeah I meant to include Cirdan as one of the good posters, but I didn't, sorry. I did leave in the "and possibly others" though.
]
Thanks guys. I didn't intend to complain about my omission, but I'll take any honors I can get.

Actually I thought I belonged on both lists, as well as BoP! She posted a lot of great information on radiometric dating and anthropological insite. Wayfarer, Jerseydevil, mirrille, anduin, "and possibly others" all made serious and thoughtful posts.

After my surgery, when I have nothing to do, I will try to go through the posts and compile a document of the arguements pertinent to the topic and sort them into a reasonable list of topics.

...if I can remember

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Closed Thread