Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2003, 09:22 AM   #401
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Movies separate from books

As movies, I thought they were good, (FOTR more than TTT), but I enjoyed both. As Adaptations I thought the movies could have been better and still stay within the 3hr/movie timeline.
As for the general feel of Middle Earth I think the films succeeded.

I think the movies (upto now) conveyed the following themes from the books well:

Good vs. Evil
Duty and honor
Friendship and loyalty

The following was not so well or clear

Characterization of characters
Things change and do not remain the same

I will need to look for info to back my opinions, but this is a good start of my impressions of the movie conveying Tolkien's LOTR.

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:48 AM   #402
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
The following was not so well or clear...Things change and do not remain the same
Ooh, tempting. So tempting. Must... resist. urge. to. snap!
Old 05-02-2003, 11:25 AM   #403
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

"enhance" and "improve" are vastly different concepts...

I still see no evidence of this charge that PJ claims to have improve on Tolkien. I think people are using BB's words and putting them in Jackson's mouth.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:58 AM   #404
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
"enhance" and "improve" are vastly different concepts...

I still see no evidence of this charge that PJ claims to have improve on Tolkien. I think people are using BB's words and putting them in Jackson's mouth.
From the Webster's Dictionary

enhance - to make greater, better, etc.; heighten

improve - 1. to make better, 2. to make (real estate) more valuable by culitivation, construction, etc. vi. to make better

Not reall vastly different, they sound pretty similar to me.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:10 PM   #405
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

PJ has never said he improved Tolkien. The closest he's come is to say he changed things from the books that wouldn't translate as well to film. It was the legendary Black Breathalizer who had the keen insight to publicly observe that aspects of Tolkien's story were improved in PJ's cinematic version.

I continue to say Peter Jackson has captured the essence of all of Tolkien's major themes. The two that seem to be brought up more frequently from The Dark Side are: The focus on Hobbits and Capturing the Characters.

A few thoughts:

Capturing the Characters. There is a huge difference between PJ emphasizing different aspects of the same personality versus having totally different people possessing the bodies of our beloved book characters. My observation has been that some of the loudest complainers here fail to grasp the complexities of Tolkien's characters. The ironic thing is that they whine about Peter Jackson when in reality he understands the characters far better than they do.

The focus on Hobbits. I'm hearing a great deal about the the film version's focus on men instead of hobbits, particularly after the release of The Two Towers. I would argue that it is unfair for the book purists to compare the entire book trilogy against only the first two films of PJ's trilogy (which doesn't even cover all of Tolkien's second book.) It is obvious knowing the plot of the last parts of TTT (the ending of books 3 & 4) and the ROTK book that the "hobbit focus" will dramatically increase in film three.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:24 PM   #406
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by Melko Belcha
From the Webster's Dictionary

enhance - to make greater, better, etc.; heighten

improve - 1. to make better, 2. to make (real estate) more valuable by culitivation, construction, etc. vi. to make better

Not reall vastly different, they sound pretty similar to me.
Anything can be distorted. Do I need to show how this was done, or is it obvious to other people, too.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:28 PM   #407
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
...I believe I read where Jackson said in an interview, I think "What we've done is we've brought all of the most important things into the movie, and we've actually made it better."
He actually said that?!? That he was making The Book better? No, no... no...
[IMG] http://www.spacespider.net/emo/shakehead [/IMG] ...it can't be... no, no... no... What kind of animal would say such a thing?
[IMG] http://www.spacespider.net/emo/sad06.gif [/IMG]
This is not right.... I'm so very, very glad that I don't keep up with all this Hollywood crap. I think I would be so disappointed with the world I would jump off a clif.

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-02-2003 at 03:15 PM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 03:23 PM   #408
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

When someone says "I believe" and "I think" it doesn't mean they KNOW.

Obviously when he said he enhanced things people wanted to think it meant he thought things were'nt good enough, but that says more about them than about him. Some things have to be enhanced and other things downplayed when converted between media.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #409
Mrs. Maggott
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
PJ has never said he improved Tolkien. The closest he's come is to say he changed things from the books that wouldn't translate as well to film. It was the legendary Black Breathalizer who had the keen insight to publicly observe that aspects of Tolkien's story were improved in PJ's cinematic version.

I continue to say Peter Jackson has captured the essence of all of Tolkien's major themes. The two that seem to be brought up more frequently from The Dark Side are: The focus on Hobbits and Capturing the Characters.

A few thoughts:

Capturing the Characters. There is a huge difference between PJ emphasizing different aspects of the same personality versus having totally different people possessing the bodies of our beloved book characters. My observation has been that some of the loudest complainers here fail to grasp the complexities of Tolkien's characters. The ironic thing is that they whine about Peter Jackson when in reality he understands the characters far better than they do.
I have absolutely NO problem "grasping the complexities of Tolkien's characters" but I can assure you, that FEW or NONE of those complexities appear in Jackson's characters with the exception of the names. Aragorn, Faramir, Theoden, Elrond, Arwen, Merry and Pippin are all changed in the full meaning of that word. Now, do these characters maintain some manifestations of the books' characters? Of course! But the true characters of these main protagonists are lost in Jackson's "interpretation". To suggest that because they retain a few characteristics in common means that they are in fact the same is to suggest that because they each have two eyes and one head in both book and films really means that they are the same!
Old 05-02-2003, 05:31 PM   #410
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I've heard some of you complain that...horror of horrors...their brave Frodo was shown to be...AFRAID!!! Well, Tolkien's Frodo was afraid too.

Others have whined that...gasp...Aragorn had...SELF-DOUBTS!!! Tolkien's Aragorn had 'um too.

Still more were distraught to see...oh no...DARK GALADRIEL, the vision of what she would become if she took the ring from Frodo. It's in the book too.

Others complained that Gandalf the Grey wasn't the commanding leader he was in the books and deferred too much to Saruman. They forgot the Gandalf they were remembering was Gandalf the White.

Can the characters from the films be as complex as their book counterparts? Of course not. But are the personalities from the books represented in the film characters? Of course. No credible evidence has been presented to the contrary.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 05:39 PM   #411
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I'm not complaining, I just would do things differently. I have the same reaction to every production of Shakespeare I've ever seen, of course. It's OK to imagine how you would do it if you had the skill and time and money and access to great actors. Many people here feel they can be more "true to Tolkein" than PJ was. Of course, they are all speaking out of their ... er ... hats because none of them has even a glimmer of real experience.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:02 PM   #412
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
When someone says "I believe" and "I think" it doesn't mean they KNOW.

Obviously when he said he enhanced things people wanted to think it meant he thought things were'nt good enough, but that says more about them than about him. Some things have to be enhanced and other things downplayed when converted between media.
*relief* So, PJ did not say he had made Tolkien's work better? *sigh* My faith in humanity is strengthened.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:44 PM   #413
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
*relief* So, PJ did not say he had made Tolkien's work better? *sigh* My faith in humanity is strengthened.
Jackson may not have said it for sure. Black Breathalizer DID!
Old 05-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #414
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Jackson may not have said it for sure. Black Breathalizer DID!
BB!!! You did NOT!!!! How dare you mar the Work of Tolkien by saying that anyone could improve on perfection!! A pox on you!!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 06:56 PM   #415
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
I've heard some of you complain that...horror of horrors...their brave Frodo was shown to be...AFRAID!!! Well, Tolkien's Frodo was afraid too.
Yes, Tolkien's Frodo was terrified. However, the natural resiliance of Hobbits allowed him to bear the splinter of the Morgul-blade for a long time. (Can't be bothered to check how long.) Eleven days, I think. Anyway, it makes you wonder why a Hobbit was allowed to bear the Ring if they are so weak.

Quote:
Others have whined that...gasp...Aragorn had...SELF-DOUBTS!!! Tolkien's Aragorn had 'um too.
Tolkien's Aragorn is proud that he is Elendil's heir, not terified by Isildur's 'weak' blood.

Quote:
Still more were distraught to see...oh no...DARK GALADRIEL, the vision of what she would become if she took the ring from Frodo. It's in the book too.
A Dark-Green Galadriel in a glittery bathingsuit and a high wind that affects no one else.

Quote:
Others complained that Gandalf the Grey wasn't the commanding leader he was in the books and deferred too much to Saruman. They forgot the Gandalf they were remembering was Gandalf the White.
Can't answer to that, I thought Gandalf was okay in the movies.

Quote:
Can the characters from the films be as complex as their book counterparts? Of course not. But are the personalities from the books represented in the film characters? Of course. No credible evidence has been presented to the contrary.
Show me any of Merry and Pippen's character represented in the movies, except for 'blundering idiots who are still clumsily loyal'.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #416
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
BB!!! You did NOT!!!! How dare you mar the Work of Tolkien by saying that anyone could improve on perfection!! A pox on you!!!!
He Did <- Link to the (locked) thread.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:26 PM   #417
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
He Did <- Link to the (locked) thread.
OMI!! BB!!! You f^$#%*& b@$@%d!!! How dare you!!! Who the h*ll do you think you're talking about!!???? Some dip sh** paperback writer that's here today and a 'has been' tomorrow??!!! This is classic work!!! Do you realize that!?! This is TOLKIEN you little @#%#$#$@$#%^@#$%^#$!#$!%$%^#$^@%^ ! Sonofa....

I can't say more without getting kicked off The Moot... I'll come back when I'm calmer... which might be never the way I feel right now.
#@$%@#$%@#$%!@#$%!@#$%@!!!!

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-02-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:44 PM   #418
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Old 05-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #419
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
OMI!! BB!!! You f^$#%*& b@$@%d!!! How dare you!!! Who the h*ll do you think you're talking about!!???? Some dip sh** paperback writer that's here today and a 'has been' tomorrow??!!! This is classic work!!! Do you realize that!?! This is TOLKIEN you little @#%#$#$@$#%^@#$%^#$!#$!%$%^#$^@%^ ! Sonofa....

I can't say more without getting kicked off The Moot... I'll come back when I'm calmer... which might be never the way I feel right now.
#@$%@#$%@#$%!@#$%!@#$%@!!!!
LT will be proud

D'ya see why there is no "serious" film discussion, we got cursed with a BB

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:52 PM   #420
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Fiesty. ];-)