Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2003, 11:35 PM   #401
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain

What is the name of the realm beneath the White Mountains (Ered Nimrais) and above the valley of the River Morthond, where its inhabitants where bound to their fate?
Erech?
Old 01-12-2003, 11:37 PM   #402
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond of Long Cleeve
Erech?
nope
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:52 AM   #403
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Elf Lord

Well then, I suppose 'Paths of the Dead' would be quite out of the question?
Old 01-13-2003, 07:17 AM   #404
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Well then, I suppose 'Paths of the Dead' would be quite out of the question?
Indeed it is Paths of the Dead, you were close with saying Erech
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-13-2003, 06:09 PM   #405
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Elf Lord

In the Shire, what happens on Friday the first of the month?
Old 01-13-2003, 08:11 PM   #406
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Nothing does-there is not friday on the first of the month-cf. "Friday the 1st of Summerfilth" (or so I recall, I can't find the quote for some reason)
Old 01-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #407
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Elf Lord

Quite right markedel. It's in a footnote in Appendix D. Unlikely events such as pigs flying and trees walking were said to happen on Friday the first.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:57 PM   #408
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Here it goes then...

Who was the first Numenorian to revisit Middle Earth?
Old 01-13-2003, 09:29 PM   #409
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
Here it goes then...

Not sure if I understand your question right, but I am gonna say:

Bëor

--Linaewen
Old 01-13-2003, 10:07 PM   #410
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Nope. Try again.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:13 AM   #411
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Elf Lord

Tar-Elendil ??
Old 01-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #412
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

No. It's in UT if you're really stuck.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:42 PM   #413
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Elf Lord

I've not read UT. I retire defeated, leaving the field clear for the experts...
Old 01-15-2003, 12:07 AM   #414
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
I've not read UT. I retire defeated, leaving the field clear for the experts...
I am sitting out with you on this one

--Linaewen
Old 01-15-2003, 12:23 AM   #415
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I'm gone until Saturday. If it's not up by then...I'll answer it. But it's in UT. I promise.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:15 PM   #416
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Quote:
I am going to say Tar-Aldarion, for it says in the tale of Aldarion and Erendis That he went back many times, and before, in the description of Numenor, that the first person to sail to ME was the Captain of Tar-Elendil, and it never says that he went back for a second time. It also says that: “In Tar-Elendil’s reign the ships of the Numenoreans first came back to Middle Earth.” Now the ‘came back’ in that sentence could mean many things. So, I gave you two answers, please let me know if I am right, or if I am totally of my rocker.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:58 PM   #417
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Elf Lord

I think markedel means "revisit" in the sense of travel to Middle Earth after the removal to Numenor, when that island was given to the Edain as a reward for their struggles against Morgoth. I don't he means the first individual to make the journey twice.

But surely one of your answers is correct and as markedel won't be back until Saturday why don't you post a new question?
Old 01-15-2003, 06:22 PM   #418
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

You are probably right DoLC.

Who was Galathil?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:36 PM   #419
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

A wizard?

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 09:03 PM   #420
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
I think markedel means "revisit" in the sense of travel to Middle Earth after the removal to Numenor, when that island was given to the Edain as a reward for their struggles against Morgoth. I don't he means the first individual to make the journey twice.

But surely one of your answers is correct and as markedel won't be back until Saturday why don't you post a new question?
If he meant the first person from Numenor to Middle Earth, then my answer was correct, but he said it wasn't :\

I thought that is what he meant as well, and I said "Bëor" but he said the answer was wrong, so either he doesn't know the answer or he meant something else by his question

--Linaewen