Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 08:49 PM   #401
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Right now reading Lonely Planet guide books to St Petersburg (Russia) and Finland -- getting ready for a vacation, yeah -- and finally started on the Silmarillion.

Just finished Balthazar, Book 2 of Durrell's Alexandria Quartet -- I'm really looking forward to Book 3, Mountolive.

Also just finished Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods -- desperately funny, funny book!!!

Still struggling with Ernesto Sabato's Of Heroes and Tombs -- why is magic realism such a difficult form for me? Tolkien is certainly magical, and the world he writes about feels real...
Old 11-27-2002, 08:53 PM   #402
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasty Ent

Also just finished Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods -- desperately funny, funny book!!!:
Oh yes!.........if anyone had said to me two years ago that a travel writer would become one of my favourite authors I would have laughed at them .................but BB is just brilliant ...............soo funny

Reading right now?.......nothing....supposed to be working

Beatallica
Old 11-27-2002, 09:12 PM   #403
Sicirus
Elf Lord

I trying to read Ann Frank as well as The last od the wine and LOrd of the rings. Screwy yes. I like to start books but then I get interested in another book and start that one then I try to finish one book as well as the other. So I just read one then when I get bored of it read some more of the others.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:23 PM   #404
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
I trying to read Ann Frank as well as The last od the wine and LOrd of the rings. Screwy yes. I like to start books but then I get interested in another book and start that one then I try to finish one book as well as the other. So I just read one then when I get bored of it read some more of the others.

You live dangerously, Sicirus!

I've been warned repeatedly that my book list is out of control and running (NOT ruining) my life...
Old 11-28-2002, 12:43 AM   #405
Duddun
I Antha

I have that problem too. Im always reading atleast 4 books at a time.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Old 11-28-2002, 01:11 AM   #406
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I'm juggling three books at the moment: The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger, The Treason of Isengard (HoME book 7) and The Problem of Pain by CS Lewis (thanks to Rian for recommending it). Plus various fan fiction stories I am reading on the web.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:17 PM   #407
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

A brief review of a book I just finished (not Tick-Tock)

Ports of Call by Amin Maalouf. (Originally in french)
Ossyane's father was the son of the mad daughter of a deposed Ottoman sovereign and an Adana physician; his mother was an Armenian. Raised in Beirut, he was given the name Ossyane ("Disobedience") and educated to be a revolutionary leader... Studying medicine in Montpellier at the outbreak of the Second World War, he joins the French Resistance, working first as a courier and then a forger. Returning home as a hero, he marries a Jewish woman met during the war. But then the 1948 Arab-Israeli War comes between them, fraternal enmity raises its head, and Ossyane's life is put on hold. Now, thirty years on, he awaits a meeting on a Paris bridge that will decide whether his tale is a tragedy or not... This is the story Ossyane pours out over three days to an unnamed narrator, who has recognised him from a photo in a history book.
With a sparse plot and lean prose, Ports of Call is a kind of fable, a fable of madness and family ties, of love and despair, of mixed and uncertain identities. Maalouf is able to touch lightly on grand themes and big topics without being either superficial or artificial. The historical background, for example, is fascinating - the Armenian genocide, the French Resistance, the breakdown of order in Beirut - but it remains background, never taking over the story. Ports of Call is masterly short novel, captivatingly readable and hauntingly memorable.

This one is deactivated, I think.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:27 PM   #408
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Juggling the next Ender book (speaker for the dead), HoME 5, and Mammoth: Silverhair. Plus someone at work has lent me a flakey Egyptian/Aliens type book that I promised I'd read....
Old 11-28-2002, 11:28 PM   #409
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I made the mistake of glancing at the children's mystery section of my library and am currently rereading all 34 of the trixie beldens
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 11-28-2002, 11:29 PM   #410
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Juggling the next Ender book (speaker for the dead), HoME 5, and Mammoth: Silverhair. Plus someone at work has lent me a flakey Egyptian/Aliens type book that I promised I'd read....
Oh no, Speaker for the dead is mega ool but after that the series gets depressive, it's the same if you try reading it from Beans point of view too
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 11-28-2002, 11:39 PM   #411
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I don't mind depressing stuff. I like my sci fi (and fiction in general) to be heavy going.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:40 PM   #412
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Do you like on the floor crying depressing cuz that's what it is

Old 11-29-2002, 01:02 AM   #413
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Is it bad that I don't have the slightest clue about what the heck your talking about? 'cause I don't.

BoP and TS: I really like your Avatars. BoP- Mega scary. TS- Gotta love Anime type stuff.

This one is deactivated, I think.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:06 AM   #414
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Recap: the Enders game series starts off happy but the ending is downright depressing. BoP said she didn't mind, and I asked if she liked crying

Old 11-29-2002, 01:31 AM   #415
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The only time I've cried when reading a book was the end of LOTR - Grey Havens. I don't make a habit of crying if I can help it.

Thanks Aeryn.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:26 AM   #416
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Twirling String, you must be having great fun! I grew up on Trixie Belden and she was my all-time favorite girl sleuth. Loved her much better than Nancy Drew. Still have about a dozen of the books that I've saved since I was little. Loaned the first book in the series to a young girl I was counseling, but she never returned it.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:16 PM   #417
BeardofPants
the Shrike

No way is Trixie better than Nancy.

Starr: Ender's Game was in the children's section of the book chain I visited as well. (8-12 years no less!)
Old 11-29-2002, 07:38 PM   #418
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Do tell me afterwards if Mammoth Silverhair is good. I was thinking about buying it and Longtusk for my dad's christmas.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:41 PM   #419
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by cee2lee2
Twirling String, you must be having great fun! I grew up on Trixie Belden and she was my all-time favorite girl sleuth. Loved her much better than Nancy Drew. Still have about a dozen of the books that I've saved since I was little. Loaned the first book in the series to a young girl I was counseling, but she never returned it.
Ouch killer, book 1 and two are some of the best of the entire series.

Old 11-29-2002, 10:46 PM   #420
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Too much to read!

I'm so happy, cos I just found the next two foundation books - some ignorant bastard from Borders told me they were OOP. But now I've got like five books on!

Last edited by BeardofPants : 11-29-2002 at 10:48 PM.
Closed Thread