Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #401
Midge
Faithful Gardener

no problem... that IS kind of the point of this site, yeah?
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 10-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #402
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Eärn: No prob, and I meant that someone like *coughTescough*, hm might start misquoting...
Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #403
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
So, I got back a short paper from my favourite prof today, and he said it was the best essay on the subject (nonbeing in Pseudo-Dionysius) he had ever read. This is not improving the "high on life" situation. >.>
A Theological Star is Born?

"Roll over Aquinas, and tell St. Anselm the news."

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #404
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

That's awesome, Gwai.

As for me, after some careful consideration I have decided that heck with that and I'm going to take as $%)#ing long as I need to graduate. I am dropping statistics, and from here on will not be taking more than 12 hours a semester. In the mean time, it looks like my hours at the church will bump up to 20 (not including the 6 hours of paid singing), and I'm still trying to get more voice students.

I may be 23 and still in school, but it's not like I'm doing nothing with my life. I'm studying music and business, I'm teaching, I'm performing, I'm about to start being a pianist for the children's choir, and I have a steady part-time job. What more could I want right now?

Also, I'm going to build a computer. What precious little time I have that I could enjoy playing video games in is usually wasted trying to figure out why our current dinosaur refuses to do anything. Plus I wanna be a badass and build a computer.

I feel so much better about myself than I have in ages.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 AM   #405
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Haha. Don't worry, Tess. My husband is 23 and still in school, and once he graduates, he's probably going back for more (*SIGH*)... I, on the other hand, hate school and wish to drop out as soon as I can get away with it, which hopefully is soon! I've got this new graphic design job that is looking pretty good - it may be my ticket away from the classroom (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...)

Do you know what kind of computer you're wanting to build? And also did you know that it is generally the cheapest way to GET a computer - to buy the parts and put them together yourself?
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #406
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Glad you figured out which way to go. By the sound of it you already do much more while in school than most people out of it but with jobs, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Also, I'm going to build a computer. What precious little time I have that I could enjoy playing video games in is usually wasted trying to figure out why our current dinosaur refuses to do anything. Plus I wanna be a badass and build a computer.
I too am interested how you will handle that. I've often wondered whether I could do something with the carcasses of our dinosaurs, but other than enlarging their RAM I haven't got a clue how I should do about the rest.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #407
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Never really listened to the soundtrack before, though I do have the first CD somewhere.
Thanks for linking. I feel like watching again now.
Wouldn't that be fun if all of us Mooters could have a giant movie watching party together?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #408
Mari
Elf Lady

That would be fun
Well, if one of use ever wins the lottery...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #409
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Haha. Don't worry, Tess. My husband is 23 and still in school, and once he graduates, he's probably going back for more (*SIGH*)... I, on the other hand, hate school and wish to drop out as soon as I can get away with it, which hopefully is soon! I've got this new graphic design job that is looking pretty good - it may be my ticket away from the classroom (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...)
Cheers to that. I made my decision to stop worrying about it when I was talking to my mom and dad about how tired I am of school and my mom said, "We've been getting really worried that you're just going to drop out," and I realized just how much I actually do want to drop out. Logically, I want to get my degree because I have plans for using that knowledge and the piece of paper that comes with it. But I was getting pretty close to wanting to shove it all.

Quote:
Do you know what kind of computer you're wanting to build? And also did you know that it is generally the cheapest way to GET a computer - to buy the parts and put them together yourself?
Yes, I do know that! I have some awesome techie friends who have been after me to build my own computer for ages. I'm savvy enough when it comes to the internets and using my intuition to get unfamiliar programs working, but I'm fairly ignorant of actual computer mechanics and whatnot.

My research has showed me that I'm looking at wanting a quad core, 3.0+ghz processor, but as for the rest I'm pretty lost at sea. I'm thinking 4-8 gigs of memory, but video cards and the other misc. items confuse me a bit. I'm not worried about the power supply (aside from getting one that's 80+ certified) or the optical drive (I don't need/want blueray, just a read/write capability).

I e-mailed what I know I want, and the things I'm not savvy enough to know about, to a friend of mine and he's going to help me figure out the parts I'll need.

I learned enough to know that I only want/need a quad-core CPU. Turns out all of those fancy 6 and 8 core drives that my gamer friends are insisting on are actually way too much power for just playing video games. That kind of power is really only needed for video/photo editing. The 3.0ghz drive is just to make sure I have enough ghz moving forward for a few years of video games.

Quote:
I too am interested how you will handle that. I've often wondered whether I could do something with the carcasses of our dinosaurs, but other than enlarging their RAM I haven't got a clue how I should do about the rest.
Turns out that's not always very helpful. O_o Apparently even if you jam in a bunch of extra RAM (which is what my dad did), it wont speed up your computer much if all of the other parts are super slow. Plus even with the extra memory we only have 2 gigs in our current dinosaur. Which is fine for older video games, but anything after 2005 doesn't seem to want to run smoothly with just 2 gigs. If they'll run at all.

I know just enough to know that I am not qualified. My one friend is gonna help me find the parts, and I have another friend (located nearby) who is going to help me actually assemble the parts.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #410
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Turns out that's not always very helpful. O_o Apparently even if you jam in a bunch of extra RAM (which is what my dad did), it wont speed up your computer much if all of the other parts are super slow. Plus even with the extra memory we only have 2 gigs in our current dinosaur. Which is fine for older video games, but anything after 2005 doesn't seem to want to run smoothly with just 2 gigs. If they'll run at all.
True, I looked up on the internet for similar models like the dinosaur we had, to see what sort of RAM they had. (No point in over-upgrading if the other parts can't keep up.) Considering the computer I was looking for only had 64MB RAM originally, I had some room to upgrade. Heck, 184MB is still pretty poor as RAM goes, but it was enough to run the old PC games I wanted to play more smoothly and I could at least keep the antivirus software going. Poor thing has since then fried. Hardware failure. I can't wonder if me rummaging on the inside helped it along. I really wish I was better with computers, other people make it look so easy.

2 GB for ROM memory? That isn't much indeed. The dinosaur in question at least had 5.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #411
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Well, if one of us ever wins the lottery...
... then it will be done.

I skipped the last two hours of class on Monday, but it was well worth it: I met an old friend on the way home whom I hadn't seen for ages. Turns out he even lives nearby. Yay!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #412
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Today I did some cool stuff! I felt -very- professional.

I went to teach my low-voice-girl, and got there about ten minutes before the lesson was scheduled. When I got there the owner of the theater grabbed me and said, "hey, what are you doing right this second?" I said I had a lesson in ten minutes, and she asked if I wanted to sit in and listen to the kids audition for the upcoming musical.

So kids would come in, and sing for about 30 seconds... all of the kids were super talented... and between kids I had about five or ten seconds to say what I thought... basically, "Great voice, but she wont last if you give her a lead role." Or, "He could do a lead, if I could give him one or two lessons and show him how to project."

It was really fun. Apparently my vocal expertise and sensitive ear impressed the theater owner, because she said she actually wants to take some lessons from me after she has the baby in five weeks. O_o She's only 28, but she's losing her high notes, and she told me that if she has a three-show weekend she loses her voice if she's performing in a show.

How weird... I might give some lessons to the girl who taught ME in her summer broadway camps.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #413
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.
filler

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #414
Earniel

You forgot to include the heavy breathing.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #415
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

LOL, Gwai.

Don't worry, Earniel, we do lots of breathing work when I teach.... there will definitely be heavy breathing.

I was going to be on a 1350 calorie a day diet so I could lose some weight, but HECK WITH THAT. My body has been like, "Hello, remember me? I WANT FOOD FROM YOU, and I wont cooperate till you give it to me." So I'm switching to a 1860 calorie a day diet. Plus I read somewhere that men really shouldn't go below around 1800 calories. O_o With as busy as I am, I just can't get everything done if I'm constantly hungry and getting headaches. So I'll lose the weight slower, but I'll still be able to focus. Hopefully.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #416
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Sweet buggering jeebus, Anthony. 1350 calories is WAY too low for a boy!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #417
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

WELL I KNOW THAT, NOW.

But yeah, seriously... I am not sure what I was thinking, aside from, "I refuse to go up another pants size." .....
Old 11-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #418
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Hi all - the date of tomorrow is special. Im gonna try to take a photo at 11.11am and thus get 5 11s.

Does that sound like something you would like to do? And perhaps post the result here.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #419
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #420
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

You made it!
And it's a nice picture, too!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Closed Thread