Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #401
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

So, la la la.

The guy who pointed out "a watched pot never boils" should have tried to hurry up a yeasted dough on a cold day. THAT is slow.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #402
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Try cranking up the heat and placing the dough above a vent. Or if you've just run the dishwasher and it's still all warm and clean inside, you can stick it in there till it rises...

Kittens are warm. Mine is being obligingly cuddley right now.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #403
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran View Post
Kittens are warm. Mine is being obligingly cuddley right now.
Mine scratched open my chin this morning when I was still sleepy and he was hungry and apparently my hair looked tasty. Unfortunately he's too cute to stay mad at for a long time (this is going to be hard on my parents) and he made it up by watching TV with me and sleeping curled up against my belly.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #404
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Try cranking up the heat and placing the dough above a vent. Or if you've just run the dishwasher and it's still all warm and clean inside, you can stick it in there till it rises...
Thanks. It's nice of you to help. However, you young people make so many assumptions. For your sakes, I hope President Obama can dig us out of the economic mess created by the R's, so you don't need the skills I have.

No heat (it's not even Thanksgiving, yet!) and don't own a dishwasher. Here, when it's cold you sit near a south facing window.

The dough will rise eventually. It's just not entertaining to watch.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #405
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Ouch. Yeah, my hands are constantly a bit scratched up because my kitten insists on nibbling them. She grabs with her front paws, bites, but not hard enough to break the skin, and then licks and goes to sleep. She's a strange kitty...
Today she saw I had my laptop open and she likes to burrow under those to sleep. Sometimes if she can burrow she forgets to bite.

Quote:
Thanks. It's nice of you to help. However, you young people make so many assumptions.
It did occur to me after I posted that those tricks might be useless to you. Last year around this time our dishwahser was decidely broken and in the past we were more careful with the heat, but Mom was tired of everyone getting sick and decided the temperature of the house was a factor, so now we keep the temperature up. Not much sunlight comes through our few south facing windows anyway.:P

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 11-17-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #406
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
It did occur to me after I posted that those tricks might be useless to you. Last year around this time our dishwahser was decidely broken and in the past we were more careful with the heat, but Mom was tired of everyone getting sick and decided the temperature of the house was a factor, so now we keep the temperature up. Not much sunlight comes through our few south facing windows anyway.:P
Yes, my location is tropical, compared to sunny Seattle.

But cold, right now. Yesterday was warm enough for the bees to be out, and the high later this week is supposed to be in the 30's.

I'm tired of everyone being sick, too, but I've chosen to blame mold.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #407
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

She blames that too. Mom blames quite a lot of things for sickness. It's sort of an on-going crusade against cold, damp and mold/germs. Cold just happens to be the easiest to get rid of.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #408
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I'm just lighting candles and baking. It's cozy.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #409
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I miss baking. I suppose I'll get my fill of it in about a week and half though... gotta figure out how many pies I'll need to make for Thanksgiving. 2 dozen people, so I'm thinking 6-8...

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #410
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
I miss baking. I suppose I'll get my fill of it in about a week and half though... gotta figure out how many pies I'll need to make for Thanksgiving. 2 dozen people, so I'm thinking 6-8...
That's fun. I have small, quiet Thanksgivings, these days. Mean's the food is, on average, better.

But someday I'll have all my generations spread out before me.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #411
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

I love cooking, but unfortunatly, I don't have much time for it nowadays, because I have so much college work to do at the minute, plus I have exams coming up soon.

(In case any American's are confused, I think my use of college is what you would call 'high school'. Am I right?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #412
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I like the big noisy ones best. When I was little we had everyone over and then people started breaking into smaller groups so that the last few years we've had fairly small gatherings. But this year we'll have all four generations for the first time, so it'll be nice to finally not be among the youngest anymore.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #413
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

I ams cook no more. My zombie boyfriend does that for me. I clean.

I just got a donut in class. Two, in fact.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #414
jammi567

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatukatt View Post
I just got a donut in class. Two, in fact.
What for?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #415
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi568 View Post
I love cooking, but unfortunatly, I don't have much time for it nowadays, because I have so much college work to do at the minute, plus I have exams coming up soon.

(In case any American's are confused, I think my use of college is what you would call 'high school'. Am I right?
I don't know. Are you talking about more or less compulsory education mandated for citizens between 5 and 18 (more or less)? The last few years of that would be "high school", contrasted to 'middle school" and "lower" (or elementary) school.

Quote:
I like the big noisy ones best. When I was little we had everyone over and then people started breaking into smaller groups so that the last few years we've had fairly small gatherings. But this year we'll have all four generations for the first time, so it'll be nice to finally not be among the youngest anymore.
I'm the Eldest left, pretty much. So my only potential for extended gatherings are in-laws with rude behavior and NO skill at cooking. The next time I have 4 generations will be when my great grandchildren are helping me roll out the pastry.

I can't wait.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #416
jammi567

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
I don't know. Are you talking about more or less compulsory education mandated for citizens between 5 and 18 (more or less)? The last few years of that would be "high school", contrasted to 'middle school" and "lower" (or elementary) school.
Yes, indeed I am. Thanks for clearing that up (even if it was inadvertantly!)

Quote:
I'm the Eldest left, pretty much. So my only potential for extended gatherings are in-laws with rude behavior and NO skill at cooking. The next time I have 4 generations will be when my great grandchildren are helping me roll out the pastry.

I can't wait.
Of course, you've actually got to live long enough for the great grandkids to be born and grow up.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #417
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi568 View Post
Yes, indeed I am. Thanks for clearing that up (even if it was inadvertantly!)
It's hardly inadvertent, lol.

Quote:
Of course, you've actually got to live long enough for the great grandkids to be born and grow up.
Since you're not among them, my chances are pretty good.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #418
jammi567

Quote:
It's hardly inadvertent, lol.
Well, your post indicated that you weren't sure what the hell I was talking about, so you posted information that you believed to be relevent, and it turned out that it was.

That's how it was inadvertant.

Quote:
Since you're not among them, my chances are pretty good.
And what exactly is that supposed to mean, may I politly ask?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #419
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I'm just playin'.

I apologise if I was mean. That WOULD be inadvertent.

Actually, I was thinking of a couple of lines from Shakespeare.

Don Pedro I think this is your daughter.

Leonato Her mother hath many times told me so.

Benedick Were you in doubt, sir, that you asked her?

Leonato Signior Benedick, no; for then you were a child.

So you said, 'you have to live that long" and I responded, "since I'm not responsible for you, I'll be fine."

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #420
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Thanks. It's nice of you to help. However, you young people make so many assumptions. For your sakes, I hope President Obama can dig us out of the economic mess created by the R's, so you don't need the skills I have.

No heat (it's not even Thanksgiving, yet!) and don't own a dishwasher. Here, when it's cold you sit near a south facing window.

The dough will rise eventually. It's just not entertaining to watch.

O.o

My GOD, it's like you live in a shack in the woods or something.

Closed Thread