Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #401
Mari
Elf Lady

Sorry, who are you talking to? *totally isn't getting it*

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #402
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
But since there's apparently still something wrong (otherwise they wouldn't have to protest), I am interested to find out what exactly is.
I guess you've already answered part of it yourself: I know there are still people who aren't very nice towards gay people. That's enough reason for people to protest, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
But that is really absurd since marriage is a union of opposite sexes.
Of course, as with most things, it is a matter of personal opinion. Whether you like it or not there is not one single definition of marriage, but many.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #403
inked
Elf Lord

Jonathan, it is not merely a matter of opinion or we would not be discussing the legality of it, would we?

But nice try.

Rather than re-iterate all the arguments for my position (biological, psychological, historical, social, and cultural), I just refer you back through this thread and its predecessor. They are cogently set forth there.

"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #404
Mari
Elf Lady

True, but if they don't tell me exactly what they are protesting against/for and what's wrong, but keep it general, it's hard for me to realize what still needs improving and what I might be able to do about it.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #405
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
True, but if they don't tell me exactly what they are protesting against/for and what's wrong, but keep it general, it's hard for me to realize what still needs improving and what I might be able to do about it.
If you can, ask them! Or google on Dutch gay rights movements Maybe they'd like to see further improvement of society's attitude towards gays. Protests don't have to be about things as concrete as legislature.

Quote:
Jonathan, it is not merely a matter of opinion or we would not be discussing the legality of it, would we?

But nice try.

Rather than re-iterate all the arguments for my position (biological, psychological, historical, social, and cultural), I just refer you back through this thread and its predecessor. They are cogently set forth there.
Why, opinions are what guide the law-makers.

And unfortunately for you, I and many with me don't put enough weight into your biological, psychological, historical, social, and cultural arguments, to think that homosexual marriage should be banned
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #406
inked
Elf Lord

Jonathan, homosexual marriage is not banned as you put it. It does not exist. You are advocating for recognition of a status that has not priorly existed. Do try and keep the cart and horse in proper relation to actual achieve useful forward or backward movement!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #407
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Actually it does exist as a legal contract. In several states.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #408
Jonathan

As Tessar said, it does exist. It exists in California, Massachussetts, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain and South Africa and (edited in) Canada . And yes, I'm positive to recognising same-sex marriage in places where it has not yet enjoyed the same status as in the places I've listed.

Last edited by Jonathan : 05-22-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #409
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I look forward to the day when sex isn't the first thing we see when we look at a person, when gender doesn't matter and people stop being so interested in who comes on who.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #410
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
I look forward to the day when sex isn't the first thing we see when we look at a person, when gender doesn't matter and people stop being so interested in who comes on who.
Hear hear!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #411
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
As Tessar said, it does exist. It exists in California, Massachussetts, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain and South Africa. And yes, I'm positive to recognising same-sex marriage in places where it has not yet enjoyed the same status as in the places I've listed.
You forgot Canada. Lovely place to get married.

I have a little trouble with both the terms "homosexual" and "opposite sex", actually, myself.

It's a more binary and rigid way of looking at human existance than my other observations support. I don't find it a useful structure for the evaluation of human potential. And if I thought men, qua men, were actually "opposite" to women, tempermentally and biologically, I would probably advocate "androcide", just as a safety measure for the species.

Doesn't look like it to me, though. Clearly a continuum.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #412
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post

I have a little trouble with both the terms "homosexual" and "opposite sex", actually, myself.

It's a more binary and rigid way of looking at human existance than my other observations support. I don't find it a useful structure for the evaluation of human potential. And if I thought men, qua men, were actually "opposite" to women, tempermentally and biologically, I would probably advocate "androcide", just as a safety measure for the species.

Doesn't look like it to me, though. Clearly a continuum.
Well said, sis.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #413
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Oooops, try this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-marriage.html

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:20 AM   #414
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Jonathan, homosexual marriage is not banned as you put it. It does not exist. You are advocating for recognition of a status that has not priorly existed. Do try and keep the cart and horse in proper relation to actual achieve useful forward or backward movement!
Actually, in some places it exists, in some places it is banned, and in other places the legal status is not defined, which I suppose you could describe as "does not exist".

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #415
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
Wise words Finland

This talk of banning only makes me think of authoritarian rule..
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:15 AM   #416
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Ah no, I think at the centre of the universe (the Earth), in a large pile of identical tablets of stone, you will find one with the inscription:

"Marriage (n): a union between a man and a woman."

You should have no trouble finding it; for some reason this one gets lots of references, more than the ones about not being greedy and not killing people. It should be near the top.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:18 AM   #417
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Ah no, I think at the centre of the universe (the Earth), in a large pile of identical tablets of stone, you will find one with the inscription:

"Marriage (n): a union between a man and a woman."

You should have no trouble finding it; for some reason this one gets lots of references, more than the ones about not being greedy and not killing people. It should be near the top.
Thanx man! I will set out on a quest to seek outheth this amazing tablet of information. I think I will let my life guide this most wonderous of tablets from now on.
I will name them.. the 10 Tablets of Priorities in Life
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #418
Jonathan

Quote:
Oops, my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt

It's a more binary and rigid way of looking at human existance than my other observations support. I don't find it a useful structure for the evaluation of human potential.
I can only agree. The terms you mentioned are part of a model to describe humans, a model that might be unsuited for today's society.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #419
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Also a lovely place to attend a same-sex marriage AND and same-sex Marriage. I've attended one of each in recent years.

There is marriage (the legal union) and Marriage (the religious blessing). The two do not HAVE to meet in the middle.

From what I understand, the crux of the argument for same-sex marriage is that the homosexuals desire the legal and social contract of marriage.
The pious desire to deny the religious blessing of said legal union, as well as use of the term which, for some reason, they believe that they have trademarked (Marriage®).

To put it as directly as possible:

Churches do NOT marry people...churches bless the union. The GVT marries people (hence the license and registration of the union).

Churches perform the ceremony and fill out the paperwork which gets sent to the same GVT office as the paperwork that a JOP might fill out after a civil ceremony.

No paperwork..no marriage, no legal and binding union and none of the perks that sis mentioned several posts ago.

With the separation of church and state, the former should have no say as to who can and cannot be joined in the legal union set by the latter. Unfortunately, that just isn't the case.

Last edited by MrBishop : 05-22-2008 at 09:08 AM.
MrBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #420
Mari
Elf Lady

I found out why they were protesting by the way. Legally everything is just fine, but they want to be able to be open about it in public as well. So no people staring when they hold hands and no parents complaining when their child's teacher admits to being gay.

And since yesterday the Christian Union is allowing gay people to hold a position in their party, but they (the CU) strongly recommend against it. This in the wake of a ruling concerning another religious party and women's rights within that party.

(Thanks for the explanation MrB )

Last edited by Mari : 05-22-2008 at 05:11 PM.