Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:59 PM   #401
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

nah, I never specified the direction he was coming from - I left it flexible on purpose so use it however you want to.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-21-2006, 11:07 PM   #402
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Can I just ask - What odd animal activity? I'm confused here. What's happening; what animals are acting odd? Because if you guys are trying to refer to the buzzard, or vulture, did you know (and I looked this up yesterday; it's TRUE!) that vultures are the highest flying of all the birds? They fly 7 miles above ground; they can fly over cloud cover and stuff. One would be hard pressed to spot them from the ground, even if looking for them.

AND, another cool fact - falcons - peregrine falcons, to be precise - are the fastest flying of all the birds. They fly FAST!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 01-21-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #403
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm referring to the two sets of animals that attacked Tyaron. They were decidedly odd, and didn't act like normal wild animals that he is very familiar with. Also it seems that GW has various animals converging upon Tharbad, and I imagine Tyaron with his elvish sensibilities would sense this unusual movement/activity.

Peregrine falcons are COOL!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #404
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Peregrine falcons are the bomb. Once, when I was living in Seattle a while back, there was this falcon couple who lived at the top of the tallest skyscraper in Seattle, that black shiny one. Anyway, they had two babies in an eyrie up there. Well, one day the "wife" falcon accidentally flew herself to death into one of the shiny black glass windows, and the husband bird was so stricken with grief, it was heartbreaking. The bird rescuers had to intervene, and help raise those fledgelings.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #405
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

There still is a nesting couple on the WAMU Tower. At least, I think they're still there. There's a webcam set-up so you watch them during nesting season, it's pretty neat.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 01-22-2006, 12:17 AM   #406
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

REALLY?! That's so cool! Then it must be the same falcons, or the same family, anyway. That is the coolest thing, that they live there as their permanent home.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:18 AM   #407
Rían

That's cool! Birds are gorgeous, esp. birds of prey.

Maggie, I moved us all along - let me know if you want any edits (and you, too, Shah )

Old 01-22-2006, 12:22 AM   #408
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That was a nice new post, Rian! So, who's the doctor? Is he a new character, one with a name yet? It just occured to me, this game could definitely use a doctor, huh.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:23 AM   #409
Rían

thanks, and I have no idea who the doctor is! It's whoever Ray took Tyaron to. I already have as many characters as I can handle I'll, um, let Shah name him ... *tries to avoid coming up with a name because she stinks at it*

edit - oooh, I see Maggie's posting .... *waits eagerly*

Old 01-22-2006, 12:43 AM   #410
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
AND, another cool fact - falcons - peregrine falcons, to be precise - are the fastest flying of all the birds. They fly FAST!
I expect this is in part because peregrines mainly dive. You know, they make their homes on tall skyscrapers and such and dive off to catch prey that is far below. I don't think I'm thinking of the wrong bird . . . I expect the freefall type situation has something to do with the speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
That's cool! Birds are gorgeous, esp. birds of prey.
Definitely. The plumage can be really neat, and the way of flying, the cries and the sharp eyes. They make a very cool whole. It's excellent for us that we have falcons that live in our big cities.

Have you ever been to the San Diego Wild Animal Park? They have eagles that just choose to hang out around the park, without even being among the species taken care of in the place.

I've been reading portions of the RPG over time, and it's certainly an impressive work. It is longer and coming out more swiftly than most, created with great dedication and skill. It's fun for some of us shadows around here to peep at; good luck, all, on the rest of the writing.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 01-22-2006, 01:00 AM   #411
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Hmm... methinks our characters are gonna be in for some friendly teasing now. Ah well, it's worth it.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 01-22-2006, 02:06 AM   #412
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Okay, she met up with Alagos Shah and Rian. Sorry, forgot to include that. THE doctor is one of BB's old character's he introduced in the beginning, but we had no need of him. In honor of BB, I am pulling out all the stops.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 01-22-2006 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:47 AM   #413
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The only animals that is converging on Tharbad is the Birds of Prey Section of GOP. No other.

As for the vampires, the Shree-Kryhnn, they are not animals but demonic humans acting independently of the attack, not caring for what panic they incite.

AND as for the Kree Spirits they are not animals either, but spirit-beings.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 01-22-2006 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:20 AM   #414
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
But one thing - you all speak of Val's warning beeper or, as Rian puts it, "radar system".

It depends on the KIND of Radar.

[...]

So, the warning should better come by PLAUSIBLE means.
Well, just what kind of warning system Arnor has, I leave up to Valandil, so I left it vague in the suggestion on purpose. I take it for granted that it will be plausible.

Valandil's arguments that he normally would have a warning system are plausible enough, so I assume he will come up with a plausible warning system too. It would be somewhat ironic otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Not throughout the city, of course! Fire department will never allow it.

Rochdol feld is an option, another possiblity is right over the bridge on the South Bank
What do we choose?
I wasn't thinking of having bonfires throughout the city, no worries! But in my mind I was expecting something of the equivalent of a Christmas Market Fair that many towns hold here at the end of the year. So I kind of assumed there would be more than just one bonfire but also booths were you can buy food or baubles or other wares. And little booths with gin (for the chill evening) and such, perhaps a bit where people can dance. It's amazing what the mind gratuitely adds when you hear a simple word like 'bonfire'.

Wouldn't the South bank would put us in Gondor? (Or just near the Gondorean guards?) Then maybe people wouldn't probably be inclined to party there, I think. The Rochdol field would be suitable, I guess. Anyway, both are fine for me, but they will have a significance when the attack comes (I need to know which way to flee if necessary).

Last edited by Earniel : 01-22-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #415
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Great posts everyone, especially Shah, I should have my placeholder filled today.
Let's not get to the stage where the RPG has to be closed again, I don't want Shah to leave either, bu I know what she means. This is a good RPG, but if we keep arguing about it then all the fun will be sucked out of it.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 01-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #416
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Very interesting posts, Rian-Lotesse-Shah and LMM. So the patrol left by the West Gate on the Right bank of the river. Note that Lond Daer lies on the opposite bank (canon map ) and the area is very low and swampy. No hills to see far..

Another thing - our RPG map.

I realized we will need the map of Tharbad showing all the city walls. I am working on it. The question is: where do we put the guardhouses: I put one by the main North Gate, along with the Armory, and a guard-house at the East gate, near Rochdol field. We may put the third by the West Gate.

Shah, where does rpg-Shah lives? I guess from one of your posts it shouldn't be far from the river, where you and Mahta had a swim, but can you choose a building?

Anyone else wants some additions to the existing maps?

And finally the bonfires? Rochdol field is inside the City walls, so it is safer than the other bank. The other bank is not Gondor yet, but no-man's land.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #417
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think the Rochdol fields is the most suitable place for the bonfire.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 01-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #418
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Now, LMM, it's the Kree how are oldfashioned, not me, so I hope you won't get offended.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #419
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Not at all... is she going to need to defend against them now?

- The Crucible

Old 01-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #420
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Perhaps if she goes out at night.
Closed Thread