Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2005, 01:33 PM   #401
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

This deserves to be repeated

More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
--Woody Allen--
Old 10-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #402
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
OK, I did mispeak (mistype?) somewhat.
I thought you might have, but it was an important point to me, so I made that post.

Quote:
But in the vast majority of cases, the data doesn't unequivocably show that it isn't supported anymore... it just shows that it doesn't seem to cover one case or another, in which case you try to adapt your theory to cover the abnormal case until you come up with something new. You don't just throw out a theory that explains most cases because one case isn't explained yet.
I can certainly agree with that.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #403
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

at last

I'm so happy you two agree on something.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #404
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
i think CC spelled it out pretty well...

remember, as i have stressed before... this is not about right and wrong (which is ultimately unknowable)... it is about what "science" does and does not concern itself with
right and wrong are only unknowable if you have no standard, but i'm pretty sure this discussion belongs in another thread
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:25 PM   #405
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
1. Evidence for 'Intelligent Design' lies in a vein of logic.
2. Evidence for "Evolution" lies in vain of logic as well
I like that quote!
And no, ID cannot be purely scientific. But we can observe its results: for instance, the frontal lobes contained in human brains that allow us to strategize (which no monkey has ever done ). So if evolution is science, ID has as much right to be a science. Besides, Olorin is from Canada, and who trusts Canadians?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #406
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

No monkey has ever strategized? True. No APE has ever strategized? False. Apes have developed enough to strategize; for an example, this defense of their territory by chimps against an intruder. http://www.janegoodall.net/chimp_cen...or/hunting.asp

Plus, that result, even if considered true (which it is in a larger sense; we do indeed think more deeply than other apes. We think), is not evidence of intelligent design. Evolution ALSO accounts for humanity's superiority in that case, and without positing an unknown designer.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:39 PM   #407
Curubethion

Quote:
No monkey has ever strategized? True. No APE has ever strategized? False. Apes have developed enough to strategize; for an example, this defense of their territory by chimps against an intruder. http://www.janegoodall.net/chimp_cen...or/hunting.asp

Plus, that result, even if considered true (which it is in a larger sense; we do indeed think more deeply than other apes. We think), is not evidence of intelligent design. Evolution ALSO accounts for humanity's superiority in that case, and without positing an unknown designer.
If apes really do strategize, why haven't they developed an army system or government? (Oh, right, I forgot about Planet of the Apes )
But how can such strategizing or any increased intelligence be the result of random mutation? How do you go from sentient to intelligent?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 10-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #408
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
And no, ID cannot be purely scientific.
neither can evolution, obviously. Or it should be obvious.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #409
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
If apes really do strategize, why haven't they developed an army ?

You obviously haven't seen "Primal Force".
Old 10-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #410
Curubethion

Notice my reference to "Planet of the Apes".
Old 10-05-2005, 09:17 PM   #411
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

You go from sentient to intelligent with a few more mutations surrounding brain formation... specifically, whichever genes it is that affect a) the "wrinkly-ness" of the brain (how many neuron connections there are) and b) specialization between the hemispheres of the brain. Or at least, that's what I've read. I am not a neurobiologist.

"Purely scientific" is something evolution can aspire to, but ID cannot until the existence of a potential designer is proven.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:19 PM   #412
Curubethion

How would you explain the evolution of consciousness? After all, we're conscious, but plants aren't. Excepting ents, of course, if they are plants...
Old 10-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #413
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

How would I explain it? Random mutations that happened to accumulate in a) the development of a brain (something we have and plants don't... remember, they're an entirely different KINGDOM, let alone species/genus etc, so they are FAR away from us on the evolutionary timechart) and b) the development of that brain into something sentient and then intelligent.

And no, I cannot tell you exactly what gene it was that did those, or exactly when. It was a long process.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:24 PM   #414
Curubethion

So how do you know it really happened?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:27 PM   #415
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I know the end result, so I know something must have happened. As for what...

By examining fossil records, taking logical extrapolations from said records, doing experiments on what we think primordial earth looked like and doing extrapolations in the other direction, and by observing the changes that artificial selection and environmental stress can cause in a population and extrapolating from THAT.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #416
Curubethion

Quote:
I know the end result, so I know something must have happened.
Yeah, which could be ID...
I have trouble seeing how consciousness could evolve.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #417
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Go and find scientific papers on the subject. That will give you the evidence. It is not my fault if you aren't willing to believe the evidence we do mention.

And as I have said before, and brownjenkins has made a point of saying, YES, it COULD be ID. But it is not a scientific theory, and it is not provable unless you can prove the existence of a being capable of such design. Until such time, I will not believe it. Evolution is the scientific theory that explains it, and I will hold to it until it is DISproved.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:35 PM   #418
Curubethion

Atheistic "creation" has only one option: evolution. Theistic creation has a wealth of options: literal young earth creation, nonliteral old earth creation, theistic evolution, ID...
Old 10-05-2005, 09:36 PM   #419
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

All of which posit a god. Which is unproven. And unscientific.

Also, what would it matter if theism has any number of solutions if Atheism were RIGHT?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:38 PM   #420
Curubethion

If theism is unscientific, isn't atheism also unscientific? After all, it's belief in a non-god.
Quote:
Also, what would it matter if theism has any number of solutions if Atheism were RIGHT?
Show me the proof that it's right.