Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #401
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Haha, love the cellar. Looks like my uncle's.....Only prettier.

goris-I think Marty and Ray will attend both ceremonies. Part of the entourage and as regular joes. They count as both, at least in their books and mine.

Lief- Damn...I wish this didn't have to happen...but we will be seeing you around on the moot.

Rian-Dont you leave either! Dont even think about it, or else I will grab some elvish super-glue and put it on your seat!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #402
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*pout* I will think about it, because friends are important to me!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:39 PM   #403
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*fizzle* We'll work something out, everything is bendable, if the right strength is applied.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:43 PM   #404
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

and in my experience, I've found there's often a huge amount of misunderstanding involved.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #405
Rían

Fun post, CS! I just love reading your guys' writing! And I get a kick out of the "elf smell" thing

I'd like to request one change, though, to keep rpg-RÃ*an in character - there is no such thing as too much money to turn something down, both in my own RL opinion and in rpg-RÃ*an's opinion. Could you please re-write that bit? Rpg-RÃ*an would be willing to put up with a great deal of work and other stuff for a good amount of money, but would NOT suffer personal insults! I think we can probably play off that a bit - Lilly's need for an efficient servant with not a lot of ties to this part of the world, balanced against her hatred of elves. Perhaps something like how I wrote my post? where I started with an insult coming from Lilly and then stifled it and made her choke out a nice statement instead?

What are your thoughts? Will that work?

Old 09-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #406
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

LOVEd that last post, Crazy Squirrel, plus also loved King Valandil's 2nd post -that long one - and Rian's, and Earniel's, and Gordis's - now I've GOT to get Viniglaen into her dress; it's taking a little time today 'cause my computer's running slow... *yeah, yeah; excuses, excuses*

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #407
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I gotta wait for val, seeing as we are heading off with him and we have yet to know what to do with that coach and the ceremony!

Viv could cause quite the stir and NOT bother with the dress....I am sure Ray would enjoy that.....*big grin*
Old 09-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #408
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
IViv could cause quite the stir and NOT bother with the dress....I am sure Ray would enjoy that.....*big grin*
LOL!! Well, if it were up to her she'd be in blue jeans, a hoodie and wearing a beanie but this being polite society and all, she's gonna wear an edgy Gaultier number... Great post earlier, BTW, Shah! Forgot 2 tell U...

Old 09-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #409
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Viv could cause quite the stir and NOT bother with the dress....
She could say, "I just have NOTHING to wear!"

Old 09-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #410
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I'd like to request one change, though, to keep rpg-RÃ*an in character - there is no such thing as too much money to turn something down, both in my own RL opinion and in rpg-RÃ*an's opinion.

What are your thoughts? Will that work?
I didn't mean this, it was simply poor wording. Instead of "But one doesn't run away being offered too much!" I should have written "But one doesn't run away just because her employer offered too much!"
I meant that when Rian heard the sum, she was worried, what unnatural/dirty/criminal things might be asked of her to earn that much money...So she immediately inquired about her future duties.
edited "silly" also
Old 09-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #411
Rían

thanks for the edit, CS - that's absolutely perfect!

(oops, just saw your post - we cross-posted - I was actually coming onto this thread to say I re-read the lines and realized that it wasn't quite the way I had thought it was - I saw what you were saying, and I had just misunderstood you (lot of that going on here lately - Earniel has mind bleach handy, maybe she has some misunderstanding bleach around, too! I think we need a clean start ) But anyway, your edit makes it clearer - I like it!)

Last edited by Rían : 09-12-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #412
Rían

(just read it again - I love the tension you put in there with Lilly trying to restrain herself from smacking RÃ*an and sending her flying out of an upper-story window, battling with her desire to have someone do the household work! )

Old 09-12-2005, 10:05 PM   #413
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

heheheh, thanks, I am having a bunch of fun on this thread. I vote that its the best I been in yet!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:36 PM   #414
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Well, you guys, I got Viv dressed for the meeting but she wants to help Lil get ready, too, so she can chill with her a sec and get advice and basically have a girl chat; however, I'm not feeling terrifically creative or "on point" tonight, malheureusement - but at least I got her dressed.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:22 AM   #415
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

OK - little ones first:

For "Marty" - 'mar' = dwelling - so I was thinking possibly:
Martellumar = Domes of Dwelling
Marthalion = Strong Dwelling
Martolion = Island Dweller
Martumir = Valley Dweller
Martauron = Forest Dweller

My sincere apologies to true Elven scholars if I'm mistranslating - I'm just taking literal meanings of prefixes, suffixes, syllables, etc from "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth" by Ruth S Noel.

For "Ray" - 'raen' = wander - so how about:
Raendil = Friend to Wanderers
Raenbor or Raencam = same meaning as one another I think, but I won't say what it is yet. (good though... very good! ).

Shah - I'll let you choose from the options, since you're playing the characters.

Now the BIG one:

Lief - I hope that you will change your mind. I like to think that there's common ground we can all come together on. I myself was somewhat bowled over by your initial posts (for one, they were pretty demanding on ME ) - and by the time I got on, two had been edited out. But I thought it best to wait and reserve judgement. I saw that some got very frustrated, and yet I wasn't able to be on enough to really be of any use in sorting things out. I've given it a little thought though, and here's what I'm coming up with.

What I think all players in this game have to realize, is that we have a group of players in the game who have already been role-playing Nazguls in other games. They have invested themselves into these characters and begun to get a feel for how they like to play them. That has its good points and its bad points - one of the good is obviously a lot of fun for those playing them. One bad point I can think of is that it can easily become a 'closed' group.

For this game to work, one of two things has to happen. Either the rest of us must allow those who have been playing Nazguls to play them exactly as they have been playing them. Or else, those playing Nazguls must be willing to allow different kinds of things to happen. And - if that latter, we need to decide just how different.

I'm a continuity buff myself. If I play in a Middle-earth role-playing game, I want it to 'feel' like Tolkien's Middle-earth. Not everyone is like that. Perhaps that was something we should have discussed early in setting up some groundrules...

But anyway - whether we've talked about them or not - I don't think it's the best approach to jump on someone, or threaten to leave the game or something like that. If things get to there eventually, that's one thing... but the initial response needs to be a bit more light-hearted - or we might as well end this game now.

Does all that make sense? Any of it? OK... discuss.

(after all... this IS the Discussion Thread!)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:24 AM   #416
Valandil

PS - oh Lief... Valandil managed to dismiss the old Elf, at least for now... but I left him heading for the gate. You're welcome to pick it up from there.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 09-13-2005, 12:54 AM   #417
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Yes, it makes sense. Thank you for being a good "King" and mod, BTW, Valandil; I can respect what you're saying and understand where you're coming from. I'd like for us all to play on without having all this in-fighting, too. It would be great if that can happen. I want to say more, but I'm having difficulty finding the words. Anyway - I'm very happy you're Kinging it around here, Val!

Old 09-13-2005, 01:26 AM   #418
Valandil

We High Kings are suckers for flattery!

Very seriously though... when you do find the right words to express yourself, I'm very interested in hearing them.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-13-2005, 01:57 AM   #419
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
...(about Jeri Ryan) She has beautiful eyes, but I don't like the lower part of her face too much...
Must find time to search images.google myself...
And you MUST use the expression "Resistance is futile!" at least once in the game thread!

Say - we gotta get you going in the game. You know... I hear there's an opening for a waitress at a charming little riverside place called The Red Herring!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-13-2005, 05:15 AM   #420
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
I will be happy to see you both on Saturday and on Sunday, Earniel.
Great! Sounds like a good plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Or - the clerk might glance up on hearing the name 'Earniel' and say something like: "Riii-ight... and I'm Marilyn Monroe..."
Heehee.

Quote:
Eärniel, Annawen's "innocent" question about the Commerce class just busted me up! Good one!
We aim to please.

Quote:
(as far as I know, she's a public character, right?)
I think so. Technically, since Valandil introduced her, he has the final word on it. So what says you, oh High King?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
But anyway - whether we've talked about them or not - I don't think it's the best approach to jump on someone, or threaten to leave the game or something like that. If things get to there eventually, that's one thing... but the initial response needs to be a bit more light-hearted - or we might as well end this game now.
I agree wholeheartedly.