Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-21-2005, 08:13 AM   #401
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

yes, i like misspelling words now and then, i got the habit from a friend who does it insanely...i know how to spell satan...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:35 AM   #402
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

sure you do, I believe you , nah just kidding, I know nobody misspells satan, but saying the devil or belzebub or lucifer really is easier though
Lord Choc Obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #403
Faerdhinen
Hobbit

Ok, I've read it more than 5 times for sure (and because English's not my 1st language, everyone thinks I'm crazy. ) and ... Well, I like it - not love it as I did OotP - and yet it seemed a bit clichéed to me. I didn't expect ... Wait, are spoilers allowed? I didn't expect the person who died to die in HBP but rather in book 7 but yaeh, I was pretty sure he was doomed. I'm sorry there's so little of my Voldemort. Can't stop liking my lil' Tommie boy.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #404
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

yeah, there was rather little suspense building imho opinion, it gave me a feeling like the matrix reloaded, in the first matrix lots of action and great story, and then suddenly in reloaded the entire philosophy thing with a fight here and there, BUT the matrix revolutions was one hell of a battle so I'm dying for some HP7
Lord Choc Obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #405
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

well, i still think DD will have a major role to play, i mean, come on, he's DD....sheesh...
----------------
Old 12-10-2005, 12:45 AM   #406
azalea
Long lost mooter

Hey, just wanted to respond to a few things here...

I think Harry will be back at Hogwarts next year, at least for a while, after he finds out that he has to find one of the horcruxes there.

I think that McGonagall will be headmistress (she already is, isn't she? I mean, that's what happens at the end! She IS the new headmistress), Hagrid will be head of Gryffindor, and Slughorn will be head of Slytherin. Period!

Finally, just a bit about magic, witches, etc. (re: comments above): the reason the people who shun HP for that reason are misguided is because although they rightly believe that people seeking to practice witchcraft IN REAL LIFE are not following the teachings of the Christian faith --
a) the people doing magic in the book identified as witches and wizards are NATURALLY BORN that way (ie, the abilities are, you could say, God given);
b) the book is a FANTASY and doesn't pretend to be anything more, ie, not REAL or possible in any way, aside from the classic moral lessons it contains; and
c) for the reasons discussed in other threads -- if one looks past the surface structure, it is easy to see spiritually/personally applicable lessons or points that DO parallel Judeo-Christian morals.

Oh, and DD is indeed DEAD! No faking!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #407
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Oh come now, Azalea, you're not trying to tell us that Harry Potter isn't real and that there isn't any Hogwarts? Next you'll be telling us there is not platform 9 3/4 either.

Last edited by Spock : 12-12-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #408
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I know someone from my church who was reluctant to read Harry Potter for the typical reasons but when he did he was completely fine with it because the "witchcraft" in these books is based on folklore and fairy tales, not "real" witchcraft or devil worshipping. What's interesting is that many Wiccans -- members of a neo-pagan religious group who claim to be "witches" -- also dislike Harry Potter's world because it doesn't attempt to adhere to Wiccan practices. I simply put it in the same category as all my fantasy books.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #409
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

how does hagrid become head of gryfindor? I'm thinking he is...er was a hufflepuff i mean come one:
1)he's not the brightest bulb on the christmas tree
2)His strength is his talent with critters
edit: spock isn't it platform 9 3/4?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.

Last edited by rohirrim TR : 12-10-2005 at 10:08 PM.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #410
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

yea, 3/4, and hagrid isn't even a wizard...technically...
----------------
Old 12-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #411
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
edit: spock isn't it platform 9 3/4?
Indeed, I posted before my brain was fully engaged.

BTW, I watched the SS & COS on network tv, complete with thousands of commercials, over the weekend. It was the best thing on tv and was very relaxing to watch as I could look for nuances missed in my previous DVD viewings (over three dozen times by now).
Old 12-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #412
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
yea, 3/4, and hagrid isn't even a wizard...technically...
Well he didn't graduate but he is a wizard. I don't think that just because you didn't graduate you lose your powers. After all all students had 'em before being picked for Hogwarts.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #413
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Yeah.

"Yer a wizard, Harry."
"I'm a what?"

So being a wizard or witch is like their species, sort of... but when they finish Hogwarts (someone told me that you don't "graduate" from this type of school in England; you just finish), they become "fully qualified" wizards.

Segovia Mazes
Old 12-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #414
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, it just means he isn't allowed to practice magic, since his wand was snapped due to the whole T.R. mess, but he was exonerated after CoS (although he hasn't been given permission to use magic, IRC, probably because the ministry doesn't want to admit it makes mistakes, and because he was never properly trained, not having a home in which to learn -- surely not all children from wizarding families are accepted into Hogwarts, for instance I can't see Mundungus there, but you never know -- and not being taught at Hogwarts, plus I think there's a good degree of bias against him because of his parentage). (Was that a long enough sentence? )

I think the concensus is that he was in Gryffindor, although I agree he seems like a Hufflepuff in some respects. One reason against this that stands out to me is that he says in PS/SS (in Diagon Alley, I believe) something like "Some people say Hufflepuffs are a bunch of duffers, but they've always seemed alright to me." That doesn't seem like something he would say if he had been in H. Def. not Ravenclaw or Slytherin material, so that leaves Gryff. Plus, he is quite headstrong and unafraid to speak his mind or take action.

Besides, he is a Hogwarts professor, so that should make him eligible. I don't see any other character standing out as being obvious to fill the position, and the fact that McGonagall included him in the "conference" at the end of the book also gives weight to the theory.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #415
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I think Hagrid must have permission to use magic now, or he couldn't be a teacher. He seems to use it pretty openly, such as when he's fighting the Death Eaters at the end of HBP. He just doesn't have all the knowledge of wizards that have finished school, which is why Harry had to remind him of the "aguamenti" spell.

JKR has been asked if wizards like Mundungus and Stan Shunpike went to Hogwarts, and she said they did. All magical children are accepted to Hogwarts, just not squibs.

Segovia Mazes
Old 12-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #416
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Agreed!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #417
rohirrim TR

so how does hogwarts keep their doors open if they accept everyone? do they get tax money?
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #418
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

by Magic
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #419
rohirrim TR

ahh....yes....of course but then how....er never mind i guess.
Quote:
Old 12-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #420
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Well, I'm pretty sure they charge tuition... but probably have a government subsidized fund to help kids who can't afford it.

Segovia Mazes