Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 07:43 AM   #401
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I'm about to attempt to learn Tengwar. Next week, I'm on camp. The following weeks are my holidays (vacations) so alongside maths and reading, I'll have a crack at learning it. I've already sort of started - I went to that 'Amanye Tenceli' site, which had the link to the International Phonetic Alphabet, which completely confused me. Never fear, I downloaded another Tengwar Reader file that has all of the pronunciations for translation from English.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:55 PM   #402
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hi Linaewen, and welcome to the Tengwar site! I hope you like it! There's lots of good posts on this thread with samples and discussions of variants of Tengwar, etc., I hope you can get some time and read thru it.

Here are links to my two favorite Tengwar-writing sites - most of us here go by these (the English mode of Tengwar):

passagen site

and

imaginet site

Good luck, and we hope to see some of your writing soon!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 04-02-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:50 PM   #403
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I know the Quenya Tengwar mode, and a little Quenya. Writing it with a caligraphy pen makes it look really good.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:54 PM   #404
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Doesn't it though? I've had some fun when I'm bored in History class (droning teachers = no fun), by writing out the Ash nazg Ring poem in the Ring script, just with my pencil. It looks really shibby...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 10:18 PM   #405
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

drat - I just realized I can't post any Tengwar until we get a new printer - the old one died!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-03-2003, 04:49 AM   #406
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Thanks very much RÃ*an for the first link and your support. I'm making up a signature (Not a Entmoot-posting one- the type of signature you write down with a pen) that includes the characters for my initials 'L' and 'Ch'

I also found this other site I like:

http://www.geocities.com/tengwar2001/

I don't know about its accuracy, but it seems good to me (a complete Tengwar novice)
Old 04-13-2003, 11:22 AM   #407
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Can someone help me here? How do you indicate two different vowels, one after the other (non-diphthong)? And how would you indicate one at the start of a word?
Help would be appreciated. (Sorry if the answer is obvious- I haven't really had time to read thru my notes)
Old 04-13-2003, 06:01 PM   #408
Rían

(1) If there isn't a consonant around to put the vowel mark over, then the vowel mark goes on a carrier (the little "i"-looking thing). The best example for this is to look at what JRRT himself wrote in the imaginet link - the one starting with "of Westmarch by John Ronald Reuel Tolkien..." - just compare the English with the Tengwar underneath it. Note, however, that he writes "John" as "Jhon", I think because it was phoenetic, altho he writes "Reuel" exactly as spelled. The "Reuel" is a great example of the use of carriers.

(2) Well, in the English mode, that's easy - it just goes over the first consonant of the word. (I can't think of a word that starts with 2 vowels, but if there was such a word, then the first vowel would be over a carrier, and the next over the consonant). Now in the Quenya mode, if the word starts with a vowel, you HAVE to use a carrier, because the vowel marks go over the PRECEDING consonant, not the FOLLOWING, as in English mode. If you look at the very top Tengwar writing on the passagen page, it translates to "The writing systems of Aman. Here is a sample of Feanors Tengwar." Now "Aman" and "Tengwar" are Quenya words, so they are written in the Quenya style, so the first "a" in "Aman" needs a carrier. Also, 'ngw' is one symbol in the Quenya mode for the word "Tengwar".

The best way is to just look at the various samples.

Let me know if that made sense....

Last edited by Rían : 04-13-2003 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:09 PM   #409
Rían

Here's a link to the samples page: Tengwar samples

scroll down to where it says "Tengwar Examples" and pick one of the links (there are samples from LoTR, Sil, UT and BoLT), and it gives samples with the translation immediately below - very helpful! Also because it shows both the English translation and the EXACT translation of the letters that were actually used (so you get both the English word and how it was written phonetically)

Last edited by Rían : 04-13-2003 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:27 PM   #410
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
(I can't think of a word that starts with 2 vowels, but if there was such a word, then the first vowel would be over a carrier, and the next over the consonant).
After racking my brain a bit, I did come up with one: Earendil.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-14-2003, 12:45 AM   #411
Rían

Yes, you're right, but I meant an English word. However, you can write words like Earendil in the English mode - I should have thought of that. So use a carrier for the first vowel, then the second vowel over the first consonant.

How's it going, Linaewen? I hope you enjoy it as much as the others on this thread

Old 04-14-2003, 05:38 PM   #412
Rían

Here's a little attachment for Ruinel, whom I hope will join this thread

(ps - Ruinel, for the links that I like the best, see my post about 9 posts up, the links are called passagen and imaginet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finrod north 1.jpg (9.4 KB, 19 views)

Old 04-14-2003, 05:53 PM   #413
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Here's a little attachment for Ruinel, whom I hope will join this thread

(ps - Ruinel, for the links that I like the best, see my post about 9 posts up, the links are called passagen and imaginet)
How interesting. Before I got to it, it had been downloaded twice. lol. Thank you.

Edit: Wow! That's great... I now have a new hobby. hehehehe. And what is best, no one will know what the heck I'm writing.

Last edited by Ruinel : 04-14-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:33 PM   #414
Rían

Let me know if you can translate it .. there's a couple of shortcut characters in it that are in the links, but not the main letter table...if you like language stuff, be sure to read all the articles. It's very interesting how the sounds are divided into how they are made (lips open/closed, where formed in mouth, etc.)

Yes, it's very fun to write things and no one knows what you're writing!! (very handy when you're upset at your husband/bf .... hee hee!)

Old 04-14-2003, 07:35 PM   #415
Ruinel
Banned

"North aw-ai-ee, too the swoordz and the seeij, and the walhs of defenis." hehehehe... so cool. Did I get it right.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #416
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
"North aw-ai-ee, too the swoordz and the seeij, and the walhs of defenis." hehehehe... so cool. Did I get it right.
Very good! You even got the s-curl and the abbrevs. for 'the' and 'of' and 'and'! *is impressed!* Note also that a dot UNDER a tengwa indicates a silent ending 'e' - a concession to the English language (used in seeje and defense).

except I think you are thinking the vowel carrier is an 'i' - it should be "Nor(th) away to (the) swor(ds) (and) (the) seeje (and) (the) wa(lls) of defense"

(things in parenthesis are one symbol, like 'th' and 'of')

Last edited by Rían : 04-14-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:20 PM   #417
Elf Girl
Lurker

Gaaah, I wish my beautiful Tengwar calligraphy would come out right when I scan it. It's so pretty with all the vowels in red and done with a calligraphy pen, but Alas! You can never see it...
Old 04-14-2003, 08:24 PM   #418
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Very good! You even got the s-curl and the abbrevs. for 'the' and 'of' and 'and'! *is impressed!* Note also that a dot UNDER a tengwa indicates a silent ending 'e' - a concession to the English language (used in seeje and defense).

except I think you are thinking the vowel carrier is an 'i' - it should be "Nor(th) away to (the) swor(ds) (and) (the) seeje (and) (the) wa(lls) of defense"

(things in parenthesis are one symbol, like 'th' and 'of')
Oh, yes, I see... thanks!

{RÃ*an, notice anything different about my posts? Hint: look above my avitar. }

Last edited by Ruinel : 04-14-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:35 PM   #419
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Gaaah, I wish my beautiful Tengwar calligraphy would come out right when I scan it. It's so pretty with all the vowels in red and done with a calligraphy pen, but Alas! You can never see it...
Yeah, I know - it gets ruined when you scan it.. oh well, it's still fun to read other people's Tengwar! Go ahead and share it anyway

Old 04-14-2003, 08:37 PM   #420
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
{RÃ*an, notice anything different about my posts? Hint: look above my avitar. }
OMGoodness, which admin did you get to do that! Surely not SGH?!?!

Here's another attachment for you, Ruinel....

Closed Thread