Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

hmmm, we weren't corollating.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #402
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I think it's much more likely that people not directly involved in the fighting will have compassion for those impacted,....

and now an appropriate balderdash directed at that comment.

there is no "can't we all get along" and "feel sorry for those less fortunate", imbibed in society; religion helps develop those.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
Old 11-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #403
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
there is no "can't we all get along" and "feel sorry for those less fortunate", imbibed in society; religion helps develop those.
Are we implicating atheists can't be good people? Elaborate please.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #404
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

NO.
and
NO!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #405
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
actually, community and closer human relationships help develop these... and while religion often does this on a small scale, it often fails on a larger more global scale... it leads to cliques and sterotypical viewpoints that bring some people together while building up walls between others... religion can encourage exclusiveness instead of inclusiveness
Old 11-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #406
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

thus spake the font of all knowledge

studies, history and experience have no bearing on the conclusions

----------------------------------
Have you ever noticed how some days you just get washed over by the sense of cosmic emptiness and lack of meaning?
Old 11-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #407
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Certainly not when they are rigidly unpresented. "Because I say so" usually doesnt cut it beyond a certain level of debate.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 11-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #408
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Are we implicating atheists can't be good people? Elaborate please.
Atheists can be wonderful, kind, good people, just like "religious" people. And both can be terrible people. There are atheists that I would trust my kids with, and people in my church that I would NOT trust my kids with.

Being a "good person" is not what Christianity, at least, is about, IMO.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #409
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
"Because I say so" usually doesnt cut it beyond a certain level of debate.
Then why do you use it so much?

*smooches IRex on his rexy cheeks and runs*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-23-2005, 06:43 PM   #410
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Oh resorting to hit and run slander now to win your arguments?

Old 11-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #411
Rían

Last edited by Spock : 11-23-2005 at 09:39 PM. Reason: OFF TOPIC POLICE
Old 11-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #412
Jonathan

I like the turn this thread has taken. Where the heck is the off-topic police when you need them? Right here!

Anyway, I just saw this guy on tv who had lived in Egypt for a couple of years to make himself an opinion of what Muslims there think about bin Laden. He said practically everyone rejects the acts of terror commited by al Qaeda, since people understand the people that are killed are completely innocent. However they tend to think bin Laden has a point about the US being the arch enemy. People don't seem to like the US presence in the Middle-East because to them, it all looks like an aggressive quest for colonial conquest.

So Egyptians generally don't like what bin Laden does, but they think he's right in his negative view of the US. I guess maybe you could compare this to saying "I don't like Bush, but I agree with him that dictatorships are bad".
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Spock : 11-23-2005 at 10:07 PM. Reason: remarkably on topic
Old 11-23-2005, 07:00 PM   #413
Rían

*sends a big kiss and hug to Jonathan*

Old 11-23-2005, 07:04 PM   #414
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
So Egyptians generally don't like what bin Laden does, but they think he's right in his negative view of the US. I guess maybe you could compare this to saying "I don't like Bush, but I agree with him that dictatorships are bad".
umm dude, bush isn't exaclty telling people to blow themselves up and kill women and children or become kamikaze pilots. no biggie but thats not a real good comparison.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:07 PM   #415
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
umm dude, bush isn't exaclty telling people to blow themselves up and kill women and children or become kamikaze pilots. no biggie but thats not a real good comparison.
For god's sake, can't people understand analogies on this board?

*returns a big kiss and hug to R*an*
Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 PM   #416
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

yeah i understand analogy, that notwithstanding. its still not a real good comparison, but as i believe you mentioned this thread seems to drift off topic a little too easily.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.

Last edited by Spock : 11-23-2005 at 09:47 PM. Reason: beginning to drift off topic
Old 11-23-2005, 08:00 PM   #417
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Sure its a good comparison. Bush is telling americans (soldiers) to kill those we feel are out to cause us harm and muck up our global investments. It could be argued bin laden is doing the same thing. Only to us it looks like despicable murderous brutality (as it should).

Whats interesting is that its generally held that bin laden and the "traditional" wing of al quaeda is actually against the concept of car bombing innocent Iraqis like we see on the news almost every day. Thats something done by Al Quaeda in Iraq which has only tenuous connections to the traditional Al Quaeda organization at best. There is a divide in the approach to terrorism between these groups because the traditionalists believe it does more harm then good among fellow muslims. The Al Quaeda in Iraq doesnt care and follows a more brutal approach to terrorism. They are more focused on dividing the factions in Iraq and hopefully triggering civil war then they are with doing everything to counter the global dominance of westerners.

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 11-23-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 PM   #418
Rían

Thanks, Jonathan!

Old 11-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #419
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
For god's sake, can't people understand analogies on this board?
Not in the history of anything on this board.

Last edited by Spock : 11-23-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:08 PM   #420
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
and now an appropriate balderdash directed at that comment.
Do you not think people generally have basic human compassion for others?

Quote:
Your cryptic response to Jonathan's post after this "NO and NO" made me wonder if you never really meant to imply that atheists benefit from violence between religious groups. If so, why didn't you say that in the first place?

Quote:
Illigitimi Non Carborundum
What does "Illigitimi Non Carborundum" mean? I always wondered about your sig.

Anyway we can certainly get slightly more back on topic. If you want to have the last word go ahead (but if you want me to respond, I will).

Your comments about Egypt are interesting Jonathan. I think people can have a negative view of the USA without supporting terrorists.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Closed Thread