Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #401
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*innocent look* 0:-)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #402
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OK, I've made a post finishing up the Red Herring party. I know that Alagos, Rian and Earniel want to go home, and I wrote it as the whole party broke up, but of coursy-course ...

anything I wrote for another person's character is up for an edit,
if desired by the character-owner

SO - Valandil, Earniel, and CS - let me know if that's ok, or if you want any edits

GTG pick up the kiddos in a few moments, I'll probably have time for one more post a bit later ...

heehee!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #403
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Hi, All
To be able to continue this game I need you ALL to answer some questions. I would appreciate yes or no, perhaps some short explanation. Please, forbear from heated, generalized comments.

Questions

1. Are Tharbad citizens prone to gossip?

2. Do you agree that the acquisition of Orrodel by foreigners, firig an Elf housekeeper after 2 days of work, a suicide in the house and Lilly’s, Udu’s and Buz’s behaviour is noticed and gossiped about?

3. Is it acceptable that the Chancellor (who is in Tharbad for 3 years) has some spies : in the most popular inns, like RH, Swan, Rotting Cod and other riverside taverns, in the Governor’s house, in the Ladies Sewing Circle?
(The spies are mostly servants, who are well paid to report all the gossip and the news they overhear. They are aware of nothing sinister about their spying– they even have no idea they are working for the Chancellor)

4. Is it reasonable that a Spymaster, who collects the reports from his spies at various inns and places, has MORE DETAILED and MORE ABUNDANT information (if not more accurate) than an average Tharbad citizen?

I really need it, I feel, because the Chancellor without spies and Tharbad without gossip is a total nonsense to me. Also I want to have Sapthan very much.

Please reply at your earlies convinience. I would ask ALL to answer again, even if you think that you have made your opinion clear already.

Thanks in advance,

Gordis

Last edited by Gordis : 12-09-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #404
Rían

Here's my answers:

1. Do fish swim? Do birds fly?
I think perhaps some people more than others, and some of the gossip might be wrong/inaccurate, but in general, I think it's a reasonable thing, especially about newcomers that buy big expensive houses and jewels, etc.

2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

And I'll repeat my general comment:

general thoughts on gossip - I agree that talk would most definitely get out about these things that are out of the ordinary that CS listed, but I also agree that we shouldn't use gossip as an easy way out of anything. And remember, FOEADs, we FOGALS don't have any interest in "outing" things too soon - we'd like the game to keep going.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #405
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
As much as the citizens of any mid-size town, yes, but not in detail about things that really aren't gossip-worthy, such as the dinner party at Orrodel that CS pointed out. What, no one can have a dinner party in Tharbad without being extensively and unrealistically gossiped about? What's so interesting about a late night private dinner party?

Quote:
2. Do you agree that the acquisition of Orrodel by foreigners, firig an Elf housekeeper after 2 days of work, a suicide in the house and Lilly’s, Udu’s and Buz’s behaviour is noticed and gossiped about?
Sure, as much as elves all about town is, (which it IS; how come none of us jump on this one? It's not a common thing, to have all these elves running around a normal town. Why are they here, and why can't the gossip-mongers talk about all the elf-drama? Just a thought. I thought of this before; I'd still like to introduce this concept myself, have some nasty gossiping about the elves.)

Quote:
3. Is it acceptable that the Chancellor (who is in Tharbad for 3 years) has some spies : in the most popular inns, like RH, Swan, Rotting Cod and other riverside taverns, in the Governor’s house, in the Ladies Sewing Circle?
(The spies are mostly servants, who are well paid to report all the gossip and the news they overhear. They are aware of nothing sinister about their spying– they even have no idea they are working for the Chancellor)
Absolutely, but not "vast network," and not unrealistic spying on situations and people that would not be - in the REAL world - any outstanding fodder for gossip or noteworthiness at all, or like BB says, it gets flat-out ridiculous, and no one will be able to write in any action at all, anywhere, for fear of it being pounced upon by omnipresent spies.

Quote:
4. Is it reasonable that a Spymaster, who collects the reports from his spies at various inns and places, has MORE DETAILED and MORE ABUNDANT information (if not more accurate) than an average Tharbad citizen?
That question relies on question #3, so obviously, yes.

I do concur, again, with what BB has carefully and thoroughly said in post #391, here in disc.; what he has said I totally concur with, except also I do agree that there would be some spies employed by our ML, just not one spy for every citizen, not ever-present, not reporting late-night genteel dinner parties from a private mansion. Flashy Lilly behaviour is, of course, gonna be the talk of the town pretty fast, but - the thing about Rian getting fired? I think, if anything, RIAN should be the one getting suspected & maliciously talked about, not Galadannun, because A. she's an elf, B. HE'S a professor, and is the man of that house, not her, C. what did that elf do to get herself fired so quickly? suspicious... stuf like that.

And Gordis & Udu, it's true - why on earth did you guys just erase your posts? You all expect us to make alterations and be reasonable when you guys want something changed or addressed, but when the shoe's on the other foot, you just throw in the entire towel? That's not right! And I KNOW how much it stings to erase your entire post, I did it myself that one time and it felt awful. Can't we just work together here?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #406
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 yes

I am not sure how to interpret your comment, Rian, about this "way out of everything"? Out of what?
The gossip is there, and it is fortunate that it is FOEAD, not FOGAL that keeps trace of it. Also, even if all the gossip about Orrodel and Lilly becomes common knowledge, it will only cost her her reputation, and will make people shun the queer foreigners, but there is nothing to make them suspect her for being a nazgul. So, how can that shorten the game??

Most likely, after hearing his spy's report, the ML will try to control Lilly and Orrodel better!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #407
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
anything I wrote for another person's character is up for an edit, if desired by the character-owner
Is this where I put my tea down safely before I spew it all over my monitor?

Quote:
Possibly. However just because people gossip, it isn't natural that certain things are immediately common knowledge in the city. Rumours need time to spread, leak through the different layers of people and professions. Most rumours don't even get far at all. Some rumours, I'm thinking about the things of the Rotten Cot would hardly reach, I gather, a more well-off crowd because they may be too vulgar and not of interest to the largest part of Tharbad's population. Tharbad is large, not everyone knows everyone.

Personally, I am hesitant about the use of gossip in RPG's because it is hard to determine just what degree and amount of watchfull eyes and wagging tongues works in a game. Not to mention which bits of rumours aren't judged interesting or sensational enough to be passed on, and just who the rumours are told to. The possibility for rumour doesn't justify everything to be known immediately by everyone.

Quote:
The acquisition, possibly. It's a big and noticable house. Again, it would take at the very least a few days, I think, to sink in. I'd doubt it'd be common knowledge through-out Tharbad, though. The Elven housekeeper? Hardly, except if there had been a scene at the firing, which in the current reality of the game didn't happen. I doubt that since RÃ*an was already present in Tharbad her two days work at Orrodel would attrack that much attention. Possibly only known in the area around Orrodel? My memory fails me currently on Udu's and Buz's behaviour, I must still be stuck in another alternative reality, I fear. Unless you refer to the incident where Udu drowns Lilly in wine. Again, I think only a small number of people would know it and I think that passing those stories on would be minimal. But if a spy is in the right position, that's another matter of course...

Quote:
3. Is it acceptable that the Chancellor (who is in Tharbad for 3 years) has some spies : in the most popular inns, like RH, Swan, Rotting Cod and other riverside taverns, in the Governor’s house, in the Ladies Sewing Circle? (The spies are mostly servants, who are well paid to report all the gossip and the news they overhear. They are aware of nothing sinister about their spying– they even have no idea they are working for the Chancellor)
Some spies, yes. Yet the situations you summed up seem, to me personally, a little too extended. Frankly, I find this thing hard to decide at forehand because I don't know how this will work out. I'll probably decide on the spot, when I read one of your posts, whether the speed and the amount of news the Chancellor gathers would be acceptable or not. Sorry, I'm not being very helpful, he?

Quote:
A Spymaster would have more info... But then again I wonder, is there so much of interest in Tharbad that the Chancellor would need both a spy network and a spy master? It seems so... domestic for the Witch-king who is essentially only interested in swiping Val's crown. It's late and I have difficulty finding the right words to explain my view... You'll have to excuse me.

You know Gordis, personally I don't mind you having spies and a spymaster, whatever you call him (I missed the post you wrote and deleted so I know nothing about him) but it will be very tricky to decide what info the Chancellor gets through his spies and how soon. Just take into account that you can't have spies everywhere and that certain bits of news just naturally happen to fall between the cracks and not reach the chancellor and you'll be alright. I think. Gods, I really need to get to bed before I'm getting even less coherent...
Old 12-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #408
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That was VERY coherent, levelheaded and spot-on. Thanx Earniel; you've succinctly said what I wish I had the clarity & ability to say.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #409
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Sure, as much as elves all about town is, (which it IS; how come none of us jump on this one? It's not a common thing, to have all these elves running around a normal town. Why are they here, and why can't the gossip-mongers talk about all the elf-drama? Just a thought. I thought of this before; I'd still like to introduce this concept myself, have some nasty gossiping about the elves.)
I'm pretty positive that we had established at the very beginning that having elves about town was NOT a super-unusual thing. Anyone else remember that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS
I am not sure how to interpret your comment, Rian, about this "way out of everything"? Out of what?
That was a general-purpose comment, not about any particular thing right now. If any of our characters find themselves in a tight spot, I just don't think they should suddenly and amazingly recall some bit of gossip that someone told them and that miraculously gets them out of the tight spot. That's what I meant. Reasonable gossip is one thing, but let's not use it as a crutch or as an unfair advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniel
Is this where I put my tea down safely before I spew it all over my monitor?
Why, Earniel, my dear Earniel - are you worried about something?
(ps - your "domestic" point was a good one)
Goodnight, dear, sweet, Earniel - sleep well ...

Old 12-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #410
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Elves are super-unusual, period. Not super-unusual in our RPG, of course, I never said they were super-unusual in the RPG or in Tharbad, but they are NOT human, therefore, by virtue of that fact alone, they're going to be held in a different regard by humans in general. "Different" to gossipy small-brains like the myriads of amazing gossipmongers apparantly running loose in Tharbad translates as "suspicious," or worthy of gossip.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #411
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thanks to those who answered the questions so far. I will wait for the rest of the players to post replies, then will answer to all the comments tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #412
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
This is partly a good concept, Rian and Mahtaliel have both been in Tharbad for a while, so most of the gossip about them would have flared and died before our story. There might be gossip about Earniel, due to her status as the leader of a reclusive group of elves. There likely will be gossip about Alagos and Tyaron, but I don't think they've been in town long enough for anyone to start talking much yet.

Questions

Quote:
To the extent that gossip/word-of-mouth is likely the best way of transferring and receiving information about what's going on, yes. Mind you, there will and should be citizens who feel that gossip is disgusting and unreliable or who just don't care what's going on.

Quote:
Definitely yes to the first. Maybe to the second, it depends on who talks and should be used with the fact that Rian has been in town for as long or longer than the 'foreigners' in mind. The suicide would probably be kept quiet at first, but the behavior of Lilly, Buz and Udu would most certainly be noticed and talked about, even if only within a small area.

Quote:
I think he certainly would have spies around, but I don't think he would bother placing them in the Rotting Cod, the riverside taverns or the Ladies' Sewing Circle. Please remember that ML is a high ranking male, he would not perceive the lower class citizens as threats worthy of being spied on and considering his later reaction to Eowyn he probably wouldn't view a Ladies' Sewing Circle as worthy of his attention either. Please allow him to underestimate people occaisionally. It's more believable that way.

Quote:
Yes. Please do keep Sapthan's character, he seemed very interesting.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 12-09-2005, 10:49 PM   #413
Rían

Grrrr, stupid computer - had a long post typed in and LOST it! Grrrrr!!!

Anyway, I just finished another one. Val and Earniel, it involves your characters, so let me know if you would like some edits

Old 12-09-2005, 11:00 PM   #414
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That... was an interesting last post, Rian, to say the least. I wonder about all the publications; does middle earth have magazines? It was hard enough to agree on the Tharbad Gazette, then we said we were gonna drop it. And - Earniel is having an affair with Val? Oooooooo, tongues will wag...

Old 12-10-2005, 12:10 AM   #415
Rían

Yeah, I might have to edit it a bit - the first 6 paragraphs were ok, but then my painkiller kicked in and I think I got a little loopy ....

(guys, just wanted to make it clear for anyone that wasn't sure that it was a joke - I thought the bathroom ceiling fan would be a dead-giveaway, though! Earniel and I were just teasing each other and she said I could write a nutty post for her character while she was gone from the Moot for a bit I imagine she and Val will ask for some edits when they get back )

Last edited by Rían : 12-10-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:08 AM   #416
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

BWAH-Ha-Hah!! It is just SOOOoooooo very tempting to take that and run with it even now - before the REAL Earniel comes back!

Leave it, Rian - leave it... Earniel at least has to SEE it!

Maybe she can turn it into a wild dream. The compassionate part of me almost wants to do that for her - but the compassionate part is losing pretty badly right now.

Maybe it's about time someone turned the heat back up though... or at least turned the humor back on. Whaddaya say, Earniel?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:16 AM   #417
Rían

Glad you liked it - I had a lot of fun writing it

Did you like the Warrior's Illustrated swimwear edition?

Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 AM   #418
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Did you like the Warrior's Illustrated swimwear edition?
Where do I find a copy?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 12-10-2005, 01:29 AM   #419
Rían

They're on newsstands everywhere in Tharbad!

Is the archery post OK with you?

Old 12-10-2005, 01:35 AM   #420
Valandil

Yes - I just hope Valandil doesn't seem too clutzy (or irresponsible) with a bow!

So... when was this? I hope Alagos wasn't skipping out on the Last Alliance Campaign? No wait - he couldn't have, if he came to see Elrond. So it was either after Elrond returned (I imagine right after the War ended, while Isildur dallied about Gondor) but before word came of Isildur's loss (Val ~ 11 to 13) - or after word came of the Disaster of the Gladden but before Val was made King (Val btwn ~ 13 and 20).

But you sure brought the whole scene to a close. Maybe just as well. And if that was Alagos rubbing my leg... he must have long legs of his own... we were sitting at diagonals from each other.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Closed Thread