Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:10 AM   #401
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed Almost Famous. I have a very fond and personal attachment to it (despite not even being of that generation), and it is indeed an inspiration to be relished.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Old 04-18-2004, 10:31 PM   #402
Mercutio

Beauty and the Beast and Robin Hood (Disney).

I must say, they are my favorite animated movies of all time.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:42 PM   #403
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed Almost Famous. I have a very fond and personal attachment to it (despite not even being of that generation), and it is indeed an inspiration to be relished.
It had the art of telling more than the storyline. A very complete peice of work.

Just watched Matrix:Revolutions again, this time on DVD. Some parts still seem silly but the extensive fight scenes were not as oersaturating as watching in the theater so I enjoyed it more this time 'round. Still, some of the plot and dialog was extremely silly. The fight scenes were far more entertaining than the endless samurai sword fights in Kill Bill V.1. But why do the sentinels keep changing relative size? Very annoying.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 04-19-2004, 06:10 AM   #404
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Just watched Matrix:Revolutions again, this time on DVD. Some parts still seem silly but the extensive fight scenes were not as oersaturating as watching in the theater so I enjoyed it more this time 'round. Still, some of the plot and dialog was extremely silly. The fight scenes were far more entertaining than the endless samurai sword fights in Kill Bill V.1. But why do the sentinels keep changing relative size? Very annoying.
when revolutions first came out i was dissapointed because i had such high hopes for it, but since then i cant stop watching the trilogy (well its been put on hold for Rocky) they rock, revolutions was awesome, i can understand some of the dialogue being poor but the plot is untouchable... what Kill Bill Vol1 rocked, i cant believe you didnt like the fighting, what about the Bride and Oren Ishii? you mustve liked that?. Have you seen the second yet? i have to wait till thursday (or midnight wednesday depending on the cinema )
Old 04-19-2004, 11:19 AM   #405
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Almost Famous was very good. An acurate depiction of 70's a slice of 70's culture in the US.

Enjoyed it very much, but my favourite in that line is "Dazed and Confused."

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 04-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #406
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
Kill Bill Vol1 rocked, i cant believe you didnt like the fighting, what about the Bride and Oren Ishii? you mustve liked that?. Have you seen the second yet? i have to wait till thursday (or midnight wednesday depending on the cinema )
I was impressed with some of the technique but style without content is not for me. The bar fight is over-long and repetative, even for chop socky style films. The Bride and Oren Ishii was well done but without some other interlude the boss-fight followed too closely on the heels of the longer fight scene. From the reviews of Vol.2 I'd say one film better edited would have been a superior product.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 04-21-2004, 04:52 PM   #407
Janny
The Blobbit

I agree, the content was just a bit implausible and tasteless for me.
However, I have recently (not by choice) seen Scoobie Doo Two, fully aware of the terrible reviews received by it. I must confess, I did not hate this movie. That's possibly one of the hardest things I've had to say. It had its moments of cringe-worthy emotionalism and predicatble comedy, but I sensed almost that as a film it achieved its purpose. Was it rubbish? Yes. Was it predictable and stupid? Yes. Did I enjoy it? Sadly, yes.
Maybe it helped I never saw the first film, but I did not want to shoot myself upon leaving the theatre, like with other films, even those which were critically acclaimed but quite rubbish coughmoulinrougecough...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:55 PM   #408
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i saw the scooby 2 movie with the kids... yes it was stupid, but funny... i liked the first one too
Old 04-21-2004, 07:35 PM   #409
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
Did I enjoy it? Sadly, yes.
Low expectations are always helpful. I expected more from QT, while "Dude, Where's My Car?" couldn't possibly be disappointing. Of course, "Gigli" might ber torture despite no expectations so I'm not willing to risk it.

Next up: Once Were Warriors
Runaway Jury

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 04-22-2004, 05:59 AM   #410
Janny
The Blobbit

Yes, good point!
Is 'Runaway Jury' a spin off of 'Runaway Bride'?
And also, what is QT? Quentin Tarentino? I'm filmically illiterate...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:25 AM   #411
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Next up: Once Were Warriors
definately... Once Were Warriors is one of the greatest movies ive ever seen, but you must watch What Becomes of the Broken Hearted afterwards, Jakes redemption, enough said
just saw: Kill Bill Vol 2... Tarantino's best movie Bill is incredible. (best shift off to the Kill Bill thread)
Cirdan please do yourself a favour and go see it, im sure this will leave you with a great impression of Tarantino, Bill and Beatrix's (yes she had a name this time ) end chapter just rocks (ok i will leave NOW )
Old 04-22-2004, 06:42 AM   #412
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Low expectations are always helpful. I expected more from QT, while "Dude, Where's My Car?" couldn't possibly be disappointing
Dude, that movie, like, totally kicked ass
Old 04-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #413
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Andúril
Dude, that movie, like, totally kicked ass
And then?...

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 04-22-2004, 07:05 AM   #414
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
definately... Once Were Warriors is one of the greatest movies ive ever seen, but you must watch What Becomes of the Broken Hearted afterwards, Jakes redemption, enough said
just saw: Kill Bill Vol 2... Tarantino's best movie Bill is incredible. (best shift off to the Kill Bill thread)
Cirdan please do yourself a favour and go see it, im sure this will leave you with a great impression of Tarantino, Bill and Beatrix's (yes she had a name this time ) end chapter just rocks (ok i will leave NOW )
heh heh.... you rock Mill. Better marketing than the trailers. I will see it but probably not in the theaters. Family men don't often get to the R rated flicks.

May have to wait till the weekend for Warriors and will see BH on your req.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 04-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #415
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

The Pianist by Roman Polanskij
It cannot be described. If you haven't seen it, you have to.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 04-27-2004, 07:21 PM   #416
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

canadian bacon
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:35 PM   #417
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I've just seen Bad Boys II, 3 moots (ordinary action) and Boat trip, 1 moot, (and it was pretty bad)
Old 04-28-2004, 03:50 PM   #418
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
heh heh.... you rock Mill. Better marketing than the trailers. I will see it but probably not in the theaters. Family men don't often get to the R rated flicks.

May have to wait till the weekend for Warriors and will see BH on your req.
Just saw it! Not as violent as the first one and a lot of cheesy lines but worth a look.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #419
Janny
The Blobbit

I just saw Enernal something of a spotless duwacky... not a catchy title, but I thought the film was good. Discuss.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:38 PM   #420
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I finally saw Kill Bill 2. Yeah, it was good, better than the first in a lot of ways, not so good in others.... Loved the bit where The Bride clawed her way out of the grave, and was crossing the road to the roadside grill, with that stream of dust coming behind her.... The end, the final confrontation, it was too long. I found my attention wandering a bit. Other than that, it was fun.