Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 03:39 PM   #381
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

I'm not sure of names... are all those given in the appendices? If Celeborn in in Tol Eressea, that's not a tree of the Numenoreans. Galathilion and Telperion were those names of earlier trees. I'm not certain if any of the Numenoreans' trees is given a name (that we are told, anyway), beyond Nimloth...

And I don't think we know who planted the fruit which became the sapling on Mount Mindolluin - I was refering to Aragorn planting that seedling in Minas Tirith (as it was also seedlings which Isildur planted).

Anyway - we still don't have them all.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:19 PM   #382
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I'm not sure of names... are all those given in the appendices? If Celeborn in in Tol Eressea, that's not a tree of the Numenoreans. Galathilion and Telperion were those names of earlier trees. I'm not certain if any of the Numenoreans' trees is given a name (that we are told, anyway), beyond Nimloth...

And I don't think we know who planted the fruit which became the sapling on Mount Mindolluin - I was refering to Aragorn planting that seedling in Minas Tirith (as it was also seedlings which Isildur planted).

Anyway - we still don't have them all.
This info that I listed isn't from the Appendix

"Celeborn
The White Tree of Tol Eressëa

The White Tree that grew in the central regions of Tol Eressëa. It grew from a seedling of Galathilion, the White Tree that grew in Tirion, and from it came Nimloth, the White Tree of Númenor."

Here is more info:

"White Tree of Númenor
Nimloth, the White Tree that grew in Armenelos

In the early days of Númenor, its people still had the friendship of the Elves of Eressëa. Among the gifts the Eldar gave to the early Númenóreans, one of the greatest was a white seedling of the tree Celeborn that stood in the middle of their island. Planted in the King's Court in Armenelos, the seedling grew into a fine White Tree that came to be known as Nimloth. Its blossoms appeared as the Sun set, and their perfume filled the night in Númenor's royal city.

The tree of Tol Eressëa, Celeborn, was itself descended from Galathilion, the White Tree that stood in Tirion that was made by Yavanna herself. Its descendant Nimloth stood in the courts of Armenelos for thousands of years, but when Sauron gained control of Númenor's government, he saw the White Tree as a link to his enemies the Valar, and ordered it destroyed. So the White Tree of Nûmenor was cut down and burned on the altar-fire of Sauron's temple.

The line of Galathilion did not end in Sauron's flames. Isildur the son of Elendil had stolen a fruit from the Tree before it was lost. The fruit grew into a seedling that Isildur carried to Middle-earth with him after the Downfall of Númenor. That seedling was planted in Minas Ithil, and was destroyed before the end of the Second Age. Its seedling in turn grew into the first of the White Trees of Minas Tirith, a line that was to outlast Sauron himself."

I don't know what you are looking for, but there aren't any more trees that I can find anywhere. These are the only 4 that are ever listed by name plus the sapling that I can find...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-31-2003, 11:24 PM   #383
Valandil

Theoden

OK - I'll give you a teeny hint... there's only one more!
Old 01-02-2004, 07:44 AM   #384
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Are you sure?
Old 01-02-2004, 10:11 AM   #385
Valandil

Theoden

Yes... and since it's been a couple days, I'll give you one more hint:

The dead tree in the courtyard when Gandalf and Pippin arrive in Minas Tirith is not the same tree planted in Minas Anor by Isildur, 3017 years earlier. Can you find under what circumstances one tree replaced the other? That will solve the last piece of this puzzle.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #386
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Isn't it?

Huh! found it... "When King Telemnar the White Trees of Minas Anor also withered and died. But Tarondor, his nephew, who succeeded im, replanted a seedling in the citadel..."
Old 01-02-2004, 04:46 PM   #387
Valandil

Theoden

Correct Radagast the Brown! So, to summarize, there were five:

1 - Nimloth, the White Tree of Numenor, planted at Armenelos (sp?) and ultimately cut down and burned in his temply by Sauron (some of these details are in 'Akallabeth') - but not before Isildur stole a fruit for...
2 - A seedling of Nimloth planted by Isildur at Minas Ithil - late in the Second Age, after establishment of Gondor - this one was also destroyed by Sauron.
3 - A seedling of the tree of Minas Ithil, planted at Minas Anor in Year 2 of the Third Age, by Isildur in memory of his brother, Anarion. This tree died in the year of the Great Plague (1636 - did that plague even affect TREES? Or only White Trees??) when King Telemnar and his children died.
4 - A seedling planted in Minas Anor by the next king, Tarondor, nephew of Telemnar, in 1640 - this tree died in 2852 (in App B - it was 2882 in App A), when the 21st Ruling Steward, Belecthor II died. No seedling could be found, so the dead tree was left standing.
5 - The seedling found by Aragorn, when on Mount Mindolluin with Gandalf, after the downfall of Sauron - which he subsequently planted in Minas Tirith.

Radagast... your turn!
Old 01-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #388
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Wheeeeee.... had to read all the part of Gondor's kings to get to that part...

After which steward died the white tree of Minas Tirith died 'until the king returns'?

edit - new question, valandil inforewd me he already asked it, so:
WEhat is the name of the hill where the two sons of Folcwine died?

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 01-02-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:17 PM   #389
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Wheeeeee.... had to read all the part of Gondor's kings to get to that part...

After which steward died the white tree of Minas Tirith died 'until the king returns'?

edit - new question, valandil inforewd me he already asked it, so:
WEhat is the name of the hill where the two sons of Folcwine died?
Well, it wasn't exactly asked before - I actually had given the answer to it in my previous post...

But here I thought MINE was a toughy... and nobody has even TRIED this one of yours!!! Somebody look it up! If nobody else does, I will soon.

It wasn't 'Blueberry Hill', was it?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:14 AM   #390
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well, it wasn't exactly asked before - I actually had given the answer to it in my previous post...

But here I thought MINE was a toughy... and nobody has even TRIED this one of yours!!! Somebody look it up! If nobody else does, I will soon.
Thanks.
Quote:

It wasn't 'Blueberry Hill', was it?
No. Good try though.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #391
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Haudh in Gwanur

I just read this last night and thought it would make a good trivia question but I still couldn't remember how to spell it.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 01-06-2004, 02:43 PM   #392
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

correct!
Old 01-07-2004, 01:45 PM   #393
Cirdan

Who gave the keys of Orthanc to Saruman?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 01-07-2004, 01:51 PM   #394
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

was it Helm?
Old 01-07-2004, 02:47 PM   #395
Cirdan

no

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 01-07-2004, 02:48 PM   #396
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Who gave the keys of Orthanc to Saruman?
It was probably a Steward of Gondor - didn't they still have the keys? I believe Felarof (or Frealof??) was the new king of Rohan though - he was the nephew (good ole 'sister-son') of Helm!
Old 01-07-2004, 08:56 PM   #397
Cirdan

Quote:
It was probably a Steward of Gondor - didn't they still have the keys? I believe Felarof (or Frealof??) was the new king of Rohan though - he was the nephew (good ole 'sister-son') of Helm!
Getting warmer. Right about the eorlingas, too. The time is about right. Name the steward...

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 01-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #398
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Turgon?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #399
Cirdan

nope

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 01-09-2004, 12:41 AM   #400
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Wasn't it Steward Beren?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Closed Thread