Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-17-2004, 10:46 PM   #381
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I didn't say it was especially plausible. Just the only possibility I could come up with on the spot.

As far as the buzzcut goes... have you seen Jenny Dolfen's response to the complaints about the short hair? Not especially pretty (one of the more disturbing, actually), but you can find it here.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:09 PM   #382
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I've never seen her work before - I just did a search on "Fingon pictures Tolkien" and it came up. I like it!

And the family picture of Feanor and Nerdanel is hysterical! Cranky Feanor looking on with a preggo Nerdanel and some bickering kids (it must be Celegorm and Curufin), with a thoughtful Maedhros and a harp-playing Maglor.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:15 PM   #383
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Yes! I love that picture! If anyone else is interested, it's here

Images like that make me more sympathetic to the House of Feanor.

Well... maybe not. Maedhros and Maglor I liked anyway (not my absolute favourites though... *saying no more in fear of SGH* ), and I bet you can just guess what I think of the middle three...

Strangely enough, I found that gallery through livejournal...

oh, wow... I'm up to 20 posts and it's only been a day. Is this good or bad?

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 11-17-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:23 AM   #384
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
As far as the buzzcut goes... have you seen Jenny Dolfen's response to the complaints about the short hair?
Oh, how interesting! We were thinking along the same lines!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-18-2004, 01:14 AM   #385
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Indeed. The only problem is her pictures that take place earlier have the same haircut, lol

For the obvious reason that she didn't draw that until after people started complaining...

She's such a good artist, though... I like the one she did of Finrod especially (I wonder why? haha)- even if the moon turned his hair silver...
here

BTW... on second thought, a girlfight might be fun... looking forward to SGH coming on...

*I'm suicidal*

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 11-18-2004 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:04 AM   #386
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
And the family picture of Feanor and Nerdanel is hysterical! Cranky Feanor looking on with a preggo Nerdanel and some bickering kids (it must be Celegorm and Curufin), with a thoughtful Maedhros and a harp-playing Maglor.
I like that picture too - it's sweet - but in general I don't like the cartoon-ish style she uses in most of her pictures.

And all Elves do have long hair. There's nothing more to say about that.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:39 AM   #387
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Are ya sure there Arty, because I don't think that's ever specifically said in canon...

*prepares for girl-fight*

I really loved the picture of Feanor and his family. I always liked Feanor, even though he's ... kind of evil... but I do tend to like villans in books. Interesting ones like Feanor anyway.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:02 AM   #388
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
[SIZE=4]
Images like that make me more sympathetic to the House of Feanor.

Well... maybe not.
Me, either. :P
Old 11-18-2004, 11:13 AM   #389
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
I like that picture too - it's sweet - but in general I don't like the cartoon-ish style she uses in most of her pictures.
haha... I think that's what I like about her pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I always liked Feanor, even though he's ... kind of evil... but I do tend to like villains in books.
Me too That's why my long-running obsession with Finrod has never quite made sense to me...

Neil Gaiman
Old 11-18-2004, 11:48 AM   #390
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Once more Janet, say it with me, "Finrod is a nancy-boy, who has no basis except to be in a boy-band rip-off like Boyzone."
Anna, my dear pants swiper, don't make me post your remarks where you have drooled over Finrod. It is not my fault that you are so fickle. He plays a heavenly harp. Such skill with those fingers.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:50 AM   #391
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
Tell us, tell us. The King of Nargothrond will be very interested in hearing more about those experiences
The king of Nargothrond taught me everything I know.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-18-2004, 11:54 AM   #392
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
oh wow, I love that face

hm.... I've heard about that Stick of Wrath more than once around here so far...

*hiding under desk*
*grabs Silmarillion to read under desk*
*on second thought, grabs entire computer*
*crash*

oops...

sorry... random mood, desperately trying to hold of the homework and studying in store for me...
You don't have to worry about the stick of wrath. That is only used for moderating purposes. When it comes to Finrod, I use teeth, nails, feet and hands. Hope you have some Rogain for after the fight.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-18-2004, 11:57 AM   #393
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

No one has mentioned Gildor. He was a studmuffin too. Smart and a great sense of humor.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-18-2004, 11:57 AM   #394
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Are ya sure there Arty, because I don't think that's ever specifically said in canon...
Uhhh ... no, but when hair length is mentioned it is always said to be long.
You just have to trust me.
Quote:
haha... I think that's what I like about her pictures
Hehe
Old 11-18-2004, 12:22 PM   #395
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
No one has mentioned Gildor. He was a studmuffin too. Smart and a great sense of humor.
And he (and the other elves) saved Merry, Sam, Pippin and Frodo's arses too!

Wasn't he the speaker of that oft-quoted line, "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." (It is used by Babylon 5, 8-bit theatre, and a host of others. Like whoever said, "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." )

Yup, I'm pretty sure that was Gildor's line. Then Frodo says, "Do not go to the Elves for coucil, for they will say both no and yes." And Gildor laughs and eloquently explains why, though I forget his line.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:35 PM   #396
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

"And it is also said," answered Frodo: "Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes."

"is it indeed?" laughed Gildor. "Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-18-2004, 12:37 PM   #397
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Uhhh ... no, but when hair length is mentioned it is always said to be long.
You just have to trust me.
Hmmmm... maybe that was just to distinguish a particular Elf in question from all the MANY short-haired Elves...???

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:32 PM   #398
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
You don't have to worry about the stick of wrath. That is only used for moderating purposes. When it comes to Finrod, I use teeth, nails, feet and hands. Hope you have some Rogain for after the fight.

I've been known to leave scars

Just ask my brother

Neil Gaiman
Old 11-18-2004, 02:55 PM   #399
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Yeah, I think that for a relatively minor character, he is very vividly drawn, from his dialogue alone.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:03 PM   #400
Rían

Yeah, I like Gildor, too, but it was getting embarassing how many men I like ...